Staff shortages?

Yeah it bears repeating...Swan, and I'm assuming Dolphin too but I shouldn't assume...every day. We actually refused it one day just because it was superfluous. And Marriott isn't exactly a rinky dink company. If anything they should find it harder to find workers than Disney. I swear I'm not making this up there were usually 2-4 housekeepers visible in my wing on the East side 6th floor. Just one floor on one wing. AND we got housekeeping on July 4th. Might have to chalk this one up to Disney's nickel and diming policy. PS I love Disney resorts and do not work for Marriott lol. Not putting Disney resorts down and saying Swan is better. Just pointing out facts.

<Deluxe resorts have not returned to pre-Covid housekeeping. CL yes, but non-CL, no.>

I ought to know this by now but never trust Disney blogs lol
https://wdwnt.com/2022/03/housekeep...-schedule-at-walt-disney-world-resort-hotels/

I received full housekeeping on my non-CL, BWI stay in May so I thought the blogs were accurate 😆 (in retrospect we only had housekeeping like 1 day out of 3 because we were in the room and they’d knock but we declined).

Dang. I cannot believe they still haven’t fixed this- wait. Yes I can. Cheapek is still in charge 🙄 3 more years of lousy housekeeping 🍻

ETA: quoting there but IT isn’t cooperating tonight

At BC last month they were on the every other day schedule and on our first service day they tried to come by for housekeeping while we were in the room for a break. I figured they'd just skip us and decided not to worry about it, but then I actually got a call from housekeeping asking if there was a specific time I'd like them to come back or if I'd prefer them to come the next day instead. I told them we'd be out for a dining reservation after 5:00pm and we came back that evening to a cleaned room including made beds. I was surprised and impressed that they made the effort to work around us despite being short-staffed.

Just got back from a 6 night stay at Wilderness Lodge. They emptied the trash on day 2, never saw them again. Had to call for towels every other day, coffee, new refillable shampoo and conditioner containers went empty. I saw that I wasn't the only one that was emptying trash into the hallway trash can.

Also had ants in the room for the first time in 10 years. (5th floor). When we checked in, the room had a little off smell to it, It felt warm so I just chalked it up to the thermostat being set too high. I'm assuming trash ; ..food containers, soda bottles, etc aren't being emptied from the room quickly enough.

They always leave out a bit at the end of that sentence, which they don't want you to hear:

"but it seems like no one wants to work [at the wages we're offering]".
1000%. Especially this when you factor in the high cost of housing, & that people moved away and got different (usually better paying/less stressful) jobs when they were furloughed/laid off and didn't return

For my Polynesian stay the mousekeeping was definitely off. To be fair, we did switch rooms after the first night, so I think that threw off our schedule. I do wonder if mousekeeping is more efficient, more likely to be daily in a self contained resort like YC/BC than a scattered one like Polynesian. I can't imagine the "every other day" schedule is good when everybody is on a different check-in/check out schedule.
It would be much easier for staff and guest expectations if they said x floors get cleaned on Y days, I stayed at a hilton that was like that.

There's a thread over on the DVC boards at Grand Floridian about how wet, dirty towels in the hallway weren't picked up for days. I have always found my rooms immaculate at check-in.

To me, the biggest loss is Poly room service from O'hana. It's still not back after Covid. The only DVC with room service now is GF. Pretty ridiculous for a room at the cost of Poly.

Just got back from a 6 night stay at Wilderness Lodge. They emptied the trash on day 2, never saw them again. Had to call for towels every other day, coffee, new refillable shampoo and conditioner containers went empty. I saw that I wasn't the only one that was emptying trash into the hallway trash can.

Also had ants in the room for the first time in 10 years. (5th floor). When we checked in, the room had a little off smell to it, It felt warm so I just chalked it up to the thermostat being set too high. I'm assuming trash ; ..food containers, soda bottles, etc aren't being emptied from the room quickly enough.
That’s a concern as well. All that trash sitting around for days can lead to a bug infestation. Not good.

I was reading a a Beach Club review on trip advisor last week and a woman posted that the trash was only emptied once and housekeeping only cleaned once during her 10 day stay. The pictures she posted were terrible. Really bad!

D
I actually had a conversation with a CM at Universals Royal Pacific about this this past May. He apologized for my long wait in line to check in and said “we’re really understaffed”. I asked him about it and he said “theyre trying to hire more people but seems like no one wants to work” not sure how true that is but it’s what he said. He also said that the TMs they do have are frequently working overtime or even double shifts, so they’re not able to give the level of service they once could because they’re exhausted. And at our Disney resorts we noticed longer than usual waits for things and would see the same CMs there for hours more than what should be a regular shift, so I’m sure they’re having the same issue.

Do not believe that they are trying to hire. Covid just gave them an excuse to find a new way to give us less for more. Believe it or not it saves them money paying overtime to the employees they have rather than hiring new and providing all the benefits that come with the new hires.

D
I actually had a conversation with a CM at Universals Royal Pacific about this this past May. He apologized for my long wait in line to check in and said “we’re really understaffed”. I asked him about it and he said “theyre trying to hire more people but seems like no one wants to work” not sure how true that is but it’s what he said. He also said that the TMs they do have are frequently working overtime or even double shifts, so they’re not able to give the level of service they once could because they’re exhausted. And at our Disney resorts we noticed longer than usual waits for things and would see the same CMs there for hours more than what should be a regular shift, so I’m sure they’re having the same issue.

Do not believe that they are trying to hire. Covid just gave them an excuse to find a new way to give us less for more. Believe it or not it saves them money paying overtime to the employees they have rather than hiring new and providing all the benefits that come with the new hires.

Wait…. So we are paying to stay deluxe and NOT getting room service, OR housekeeping… what benefits/amenities are we paying for? What sets deluxes apart nowadays?
We keep getting less under the guise of not being able to hire people to work and the CEO and all his cronies are getting very wealthy. And when I say very wealthy I am comparing the compensation payed out today to the compensation payed to the executives just 5-6 years ago. They are generating the more revenue today than four years ago and have cut services drastically. The money is going somewhere but most of the earnings are not going to the stock holders. When you compare the cost of going to disney in the 1907's to today it is up 8,700 percent. Now compare that to fact that the average salary only went up 1000 percent. PURE MONEY GRAB don't be fooled.

D

They’re offering a signing bonus and $17.00hr for housekeeping right now. The bonus is paid in two installments after 90 days and 120 I think. That seems pretty fair to me Considering as some have pointed out they are often left cash tips that aren’t taxed so I’m sure it’s well over $20/hour

Attachments

• 8555C30E-8F02-4205-A791-0C521F767BE4.jpeg
    8555C30E-8F02-4205-A791-0C521F767BE4.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 11585854-0E58-49F9-A528-B8160D0E999E.jpeg
    11585854-0E58-49F9-A528-B8160D0E999E.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
They’re offering a signing bonus and $17.00hr for housekeeping right now. The bonus is paid in two installments after 90 days and 120 I think. That seems pretty fair to me Considering as some have pointed out they are often left cash tips that aren’t taxed so I’m sure it’s well over $20/hour
What they are offering has nothing to do with whether or not they are hiring. Did you, just as an example of the games played with hiring, retaining and firing employees, know that a key metric used to evaluate managers at AMAZON is the number of people they terminate in a given time period. Because according to AMAZON there is an average number of employees that should be terminated in a given period statistically. So Managers hire people knowing they are going to fire them. They have a great team and everything works fine so they are not terminating any one of their excellent crew. So they hire people for the sole purpose of firing them in a short time so the meet the numbers their superiors expect them to meet. CRAZY right. But unfortunately very very true. Do not believe anything corporate America tells you. They say they are trying to hire. They say they are offering bonuses. Yet people don't want feed themselves. NO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter