STAR WARS: GALACTIC STARCRUISER Official Information & Questions Thread

For people who have gone... when's the best time to visit the lounge? I don't want to miss other happenings on the ship, but would like to get a drink and try the food.

For people who have gone... when's the best time to visit the lounge? I don't want to miss other happenings on the ship, but would like to get a drink and try the food.

I visited the lounge… with relative frequency over our voyage. Its location is very central so it’s hard to miss something. You can walk out with drinks so we did that most of the time as it was a little more fun to be out in the atrium or wherever, especially in the evenings.

BTW, I was really surprised how late the lounge stayed open - 1am on night one and 2am on night two. I really wanted to see who all was still patronizing the lounge at 2am, but no way I could hang that late!

To me Sublight Lounge worked well unplanned/impromptu at various points along the way.

Anytime you don’t have an event. It wasn’t ever very crowded. My kid played sabacc a lot. If there’s no space at the bar you can sit in the atrium with your drink. It’s right in the center of everything you would want to watch if you aren’t assigned to be elsewhere.
but also -schedules are fluid. I wouldn’t make any concrete plans about places to be that aren’t assigned by the resort.

I think the food only becomes available at 4 or so. Some folks at the next table in the afternoon of Day 2 found out they’d have to come back later. Until then, snack mix.

I thought the lounge would be really crowded all the time, and was surprised to find it wasn’t. Tables seemed readily available every time I went by.

Anytime you don’t have an event. It wasn’t ever very crowded. My kid played sabacc a lot. If there’s no space at the bar you can sit in the atrium with your drink. It’s right in the center of everything you would want to watch if you aren’t assigned to be elsewhere.
but also -schedules are fluid. I wouldn’t make any concrete plans about places to be that aren’t assigned by the resort.

Sitting in the atrium got us pulled into events that we hadn’t been assigned or planned.

we were in the lounge all the time. No issues grabbing a barstool (we liked to chat with the bartenders so we didn't use the tables most of the time). Might have to wait if you're going to play sabaac at the table, but they have cards if you want to start your own game

Quick question on the photo shoot. Thoughts from those who have completed their voyage on the best time this would fit into the itinerary? Also, if we did photos on day 1, prior to building lightsabers in GE, do they have props available to use for the pics? Or would we really have to wait until after GE on day 2 if we want lightsaber pics? Thank you!
I was told when booking my session that the photographers would not have props available for us to use. So we are bringing the light sabers we built on a prior trip as our photo shoot is night one.

I'm probably never going to get around to writing a full review, so I'll just do pieces. Some of this may be repetitive with things already well known/discussed, but I sort of cut off media/blogs/this thread a bit before our voyage so I'm still playing catch up.

The day before our departure I received a call from a 407 number. Typically day-before calls from Disney aren't good calls, so I answered fearing the worst. But the wonderful CM named Hamill (hmmm :scratchin) just wanted to confirm that we all had devices/accounts/profiles for the datapad. My kids don't have their own MDE/Play Disney app accounts, so Hamill walked me through setting everything up and going through what seemed like a crazy number of parental authorizations. I was glad I was somewhere stationary where I could have access to my e-mail plus the devices I had brought for my kids as the whole thing took a decent amount of time - 20+ minutes or so. Hamill made it seem like we'd be using our own devices on board, which was contrary to what I had read so I figured maybe they were transitioning already.

But the next day upon arrival we were given devices, and told not to use our own. Had to go through the motions of setting up the devices and more parental authorizations, but I 'think' if I remember correctly some of the account setup I had done the day before saved some time at this point (I think? The specifics are a bit of a blur at this point).

Have others been getting calls the day before?

I know this might be a unique situation, but has anyone done a pre-trip stay at another WDW resort with an Owner's Locker and no personal form of transport? We have one (DVC members), and all of our preferred toiletries are in it. My concern is moving it from one place to another and then another for our post-stay. I would prefer not to get a rental car, and the box is, shall we say, not light.

I reached out to WDW Guest Services via email in case there was a change in the luggage transfer process, and the response I received today was check with the resort front desk upon arrival.

I'm probably never going to get around to writing a full review, so I'll just do pieces. Some of this may be repetitive with things already well known/discussed, but I sort of cut off media/blogs/this thread a bit before our voyage so I'm still playing catch up.

The day before our departure I received a call from a 407 number. Typically day-before calls from Disney aren't good calls, so I answered fearing the worst. But the wonderful CM named Hamill (hmmm :scratchin) just wanted to confirm that we all had devices/accounts/profiles for the datapad. My kids don't have their own MDE/Play Disney app accounts, so Hamill walked me through setting everything up and going through what seemed like a crazy number of parental authorizations. I was glad I was somewhere stationary where I could have access to my e-mail plus the devices I had brought for my kids as the whole thing took a decent amount of time - 20+ minutes or so. Hamill made it seem like we'd be using our own devices on board, which was contrary to what I had read so I figured maybe they were transitioning already.

But the next day upon arrival we were given devices, and told not to use our own. Had to go through the motions of setting up the devices and more parental authorizations, but I 'think' if I remember correctly some of the account setup I had done the day before saved some time at this point (I think? The specifics are a bit of a blur at this point).

Have others been getting calls the day before?

Our trip is in a week! 😱. Thanks for all the great info. Staying at SSR two nights prior - only going to Moonlight Magic at Epcot on Thursday night and gonna enjoy a resort day Friday. Therefore I will be able to take a phone call.

Does this mean my kiddos (two teens with cell phones, 1 kid without) won’t need their own devices? First I’ve heard of their being something else.

I believe in an earlier post you mentioned a day to decompress. We have 5 nights at that other FL theme park after this. How would handle this? Hurry over for a fullish park day or take it easy with a pool and explore day. We’ve actually never been there.

Last edited:
@lundve, Disney has been asking people to use Disney-provided devices while they work out kinks in the program. I haven’t yet heard that they stopped providing devices.

I would plan to take it easy with a pool and explore day. We really needed some down time after the Starcruiser.

Our trip is in a week! 😱. Thanks for all the great info. Staying at SSR two nights prior - only going to Moonlight Magic at Epcot on Thursday night and gonna enjoy a resort day Friday. Therefore I will be able to take a phone call.

Does this mean my kiddos (two teens with cell phones, 1 kid without) won’t need their own devices? First I’ve heard of their being something else.

I believe in an earlier post you mentioned a day to decompress. We have 5 nights at that other FL theme park after this. How would handle this? Hurry over for a fullish park day or take it easy with a pool and explore day. We’ve actually never been there.

Yeah, like PP said, so far Disney has been giving every guest a device. If you try to use your own, you’ll get a notice when you open the app saying to use the one Disney gave you (or something like that). Presumably (maybe?) Disney will eventually work the kinks out and you can use your own devices, but we’ll have to wait and see if/when that happens (and hope someone reports it).

As far as departure day, we went straight to our resort and to the pool for the whole day. And ate salads for lunch and dinner. :goodvibes

So we leave in the morning for Disney....with a stay for 2 days at The Yacht Club...then GS...then finish at Saratoga for the weekend...

So today I get a call from Disney to tell me that my itinerary is wiped out yet again, for the 3rd time. It has been a crazy process for me...which I wont get into again, but....they told me they are writing everything down and giving it to guest services for when I arrive. Odd..so I asked is everything going to work on the datapad...as my stuff keeps getting wiped out. He said and I quote..." you didn't hear this from me"..."but you should just make it on the Disney Datapad for your voyage".."it looks to be changing very soon". So for those talking about it a few posts up...we may be on our phones sooner rather than later.

I was assured they will have me all straight by the time Tuesday rolls around. Also he did suggest that I go at 11 if possible and they will get our stuff to the room with no worries and take early arrivals to Disney Springs and then just return at 1:00 and it will be a quick smooth process. So we may do that but I doubt it, as we will be in full on Cosplay by then. We cannot wait!!

Also he did suggest that I go at 11 if possible and they will get our stuff to the room with no worries and take early arrivals to Disney Springs and then just return at 1:00 and it will be a quick smooth process. So we may do that but I doubt it, as we will be in full on Cosplay by then. We cannot wait!!

Hoping for the best for your datapad, etc. I do agree with getting there early to make sure your datapad is worked out, in whatever version it comes. If stuff goes sideways you'd need time to get it worked out properly. However, I caution against planning on walking around DS and returning for 1:00pm. If you're going to be in full costume, in FL heat and humidity, you're going to want to be in the AC as much as possible. You can also start queuing by 12:30ish or so in the shade. If you want till closer to 1:00pm, there will already be a line. We arrived at 12:45pm and there was already quite a line. Luckily, we were just inside the shade of the overhang. At the time, there was no indication that the buses would arrive prior to 1:00pm. We wanted to be close to the first passengers to board. I wasn't taking chances on Disney buses. You can get an Uber/Lyft/Taxi from DS to the GS, and they will drop you off.

Alternatively, AKL is very close to the starcruiser. If you can arrange a reason to go to AKL, then it's close + indoor A/C. Second alternative, arrive at GS for noon and request to wait in line there. If the datapads for your family really do take awhile, it could be close to 12:30p before you'd be done.

*Warning: Unsolicited Soapbox Rant*
For our party, we did everything possible never to give anyone a reason to send us to Disney Springs. I find the DS shipment abhorrent actually. It's a waste of time, effort, and especially taxing while being in full costume at arrival because there is precious little time on the ship for tasks like changing from a wandering, inhospitably fragrant Disney Springs tourist to adventuring space traveler. This business decision to send people to DS is made with business interests first. It's a trickle down from calling a paying person "consumer" instead of "guest" as the CEO mentioned in a recent company-wide memo. You send a "consumer" out to where you want them to spend more money, where it's most convenient/cost-effective for the company to send, and without significant thought of impact on the person you're shipping out there. You send a "guest" with foremost thought about their comfort, the best logistics that will positively impact their experience, and at a company expense that is balanced between tolerable cost and guest satisfaction. After paying for the premium experience of the GS, I never felt more like a "consumer" than when I was told about the possibility of being sent off to DS. However, and this is important, once onboard the GS I did feel very much that I was a "guest" in the company's previous way of dealing with paying persons on company property. So while I'm vehemently against the DS decision for GS "consumers," I also acknowledge the superb attention to care and well-being for "guests" within the GS. In fact, the latter is why I actively encourage folx to book a GS experience as their interests and ability allow.
*steps of soap box and puts it under the galactic space cupboard*

They don’t force anyone to go to DS. We got there at 11am and they happily let us wait in line in the shade, providing us waters and coloring books for the kids.
Thank you very much for this insight. When I asked about the new transit to DS, (I was traveling in the maiden week for GS) I was told that if I got there that early I would be sent to DS. No choice. I'm very glad to hear that you had a choice! :D Thank you again for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter