Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Dining - Oga’s + All Quick Service Food and Drinks

The cm could say something like “Earth people seem to think the Tip-Yip tastes like chicken.” The signs are quite clear though, as long as you actually read the description it’s obvious what you are ordering. If the person is a non-English reading visitor, they should pull the menu up online in their own language or use a translating app/site. That’s what I would do if I were to visit a non-English country. I wouldn’t expect English menus in countries that don’t speak English and it’d be my responsibility to figure out a way to understand the offerings.
this is a bit off topic but MDE actually does not have the ability to change to another language, but the WDW website does. Just to clarify.
Anyways, yeah what CM are supposed to do is says "off worlders call this chicken"

The cm could say something like “Earth people seem to think the Tip-Yip tastes like chicken.” The signs are quite clear though, as long as you actually read the description it’s obvious what you are ordering. If the person is a non-English reading visitor, they should pull the menu up online in their own language or use a translating app/site. That’s what I would do if I were to visit a non-English country. I wouldn’t expect English menus in countries that don’t speak English and it’d be my responsibility to figure out a way to understand the offerings.
I see this as a missed opportunity to add something to the datapad too. There are already Translate activities, no reason something couldn't have been added related to the menu items.

Except "Earth" doesn't exist in the Star Wars Universe ... But could say "other travelers have indicated it reminds them of something they call chicken" or similar

Or just flat out tell people what it is when it is clear they aren't into the immersion .... But let the signage, etc still be in theme

I'm just now getting ready to go to SW:GE for the first time here at the end of October, it really does disappoint me that they are changing things like this. Also, I've seen Pandora mentioned several times in comparison but they actually did stop calling Neytiri's Chocolate Cake by it's name too (now it's just "Chocolate Cake") at Satu'li.

I'm just now getting ready to go to SW:GE for the first time here at the end of October, it really does disappoint me that they are changing things like this. Also, I've seen Pandora mentioned several times in comparison but they actually did stop calling Neytiri's Chocolate Cake by it's name too (now it's just "Chocolate Cake") at Satu'li.
Has this changed in DLR too or just DHS?

It just seems way too soon. I mean the land hasn't even been open two months yet in Florida.

I mean .. how many desserts are given "fun" names without having to read a description to know what it is?

They must have been getting a LOT of negative feedback to spend the money on new signage, yet it took a year or so to get decent shade (which should have been there to begin with) in Toy Story Land.

Are they going to change the names of the blue and green milk to "coconut milk smoothie?"

I don’t think so.

Butterbeer is a big part of the Harry Potter franchise. Is Tip Yip something mentioned in Star Wars?

Whether or not it's "mentioned" in SW is not the point.

I get what you’re saying about theming and immersion if that’s something that’s important to you.

Theming and immersion is the entire point of the park.

The food descriptions told you what it is so it’s not like they didn’t have the ability to see it’s just chicken or whatever.

Seriously. How dumb/lazy do you have to get, people. It's literally all written there. There's tons of "real world" menu items that I don't recognize until I read the description/ingredients.

Last edited:
Whether or not it's "mentioned" in SW is not the point.
My original post was in response to comparing the tip yip with butter beer.

If the most diehard StarWars fans don’t know what tip yip is, they can change the name to anything. That’s not something they could or would do with butterbeer.

Theming and immersion is the entire point of the park.

Disney did the theming and immersion, but the bottom line is that Disney wants people eating in their parks. If people are choosing to eat elsewhere because they’re turned off by the names of food or they’re taking a pass because they don’t really understand what they’re ordering, I can see why a change was made. People don’t always stop to read the description of food. If tip yip is the first thing they read, they may take a hard pass and move on. It’s what people do.

I personally love the Tip Yip. But if I didn’t take the time to read to see what it was, I wouldn’t have ordered it. The name itself doesn’t sound very appetizing. Lol.

I don't care what they call the food. I just don't want the food to change. It has all been quite good. There's too much awful QS at Disney. They need places like Docking Bay or Satu'li. It's about the only QS places that are even edible.

Last edited:
So I made reservation during Xmas week at Oga just so we could get into land assuming it will be mobbed with heavy crowds....is this probably necessary and do we have to order something when we arrive. I’m assuming if we just use reservation to enter land and don’t show up at Oga’s than we will each be charged $10 penalty fee for missing ADR.
I'll never say never but I think the odds of it being at capacity are EXTREMELY low, to basically nill. Even if it did use boarding groups I bet it would not be for long periods of time at all. The land holds a whole lot of people and boarding groups were very short-lived even on opening day.

We have a reservation for Oga's in January, but I've seen many online pictures/videos of there being a line out the door to get in. If we have a reservation do we still have to wait in that line or is that for people with no ADR's?

We have a reservation for Oga's in January, but I've seen many online pictures/videos of there being a line out the door to get in. If we have a reservation do we still have to wait in that line or is that for people with no ADR's?
That's the line to check in, just like any other restaurant, you have to check into the podium before going inside. After you check in, the wait to br'er called is usually less than 5 to 10 min

For those asking, yes, tip-yip is something that already existed in the Star Wars canon. They're the "chickens" that the Ewoks keep, and they can be seen (and heard) briefly in the background in "Return of the Jedi."

Can only speak to my one moment in time experience last Friday around 11am.

Long (and somewhat chaotic) line outside wrapped next to the building. ADR and non-ADR guests were all in the same line. If you had an ADR, CMs near the end of the line would check you in on an iPad and tell you to stay in the line. Other CMs would walk the line calling out parties and pull you out of line when ready. Whole wait was probably <5 for us.

YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter