Staying in park or nearby - which is better

I am in your same boat and we are going in May. I thoroughly researched everything, and will be staying at the Allstars for $99/night.

My rationale: life is short. The smiles and wides eyes and glee I expect to see on my daughter's face is worth the money to me.

Have fun :)

If it's your first and only visit to Disney then stay onsite. Keep reading the deals here and keep calling for the best rates. Have fun!

I have lots of reasons I would take the Allstar. If you are going to Disney you will have the maximum enjoyment for the cost if you stay on site. You will not need to drive to the parks the buses are great. The price for the Allstar is very low for a Disney Resort so I would grab it. We always pack our breakfast stuff when ever we travel. It saves more time and arguments with teens then it will ever amount to cash wise. If your children are younger I would go and scrimp whenever you can. When ours were young and we were poor we still went every year and the memories are PRICELESS. I had set aside a set amount of money for souvineers and that helped. My children had the money amount given to them before we left and they were allowed to spend it however they wanted. They made good decisions and they learned the value of the dollars they had to spend. It made learning math worth while to my artsy child. I hope you choose what is best for you. A family vacation is a treasure you can hold in your heart forever. Have a wonderful safe trip.

I FOUND OFF SITE HOTELS TRY HARDER TO PLEASE AND WILL ADJUST YOUR BILL IF THINGS AREN'T WHAT YOU EXPECTED!!!

WE spent 10 miserable days at the All Stars!! We checked in at 4:00pm.
There wasn't even a luggage cart to take our bags to the room.Which was on the Parking lot side that was shared by another All Stars, so we were constantly getting their themeing,not our carefully chosen themeing.

FIRST thing in the room,the carpets were WET!! We got there just in time for room shampooing. We called to complain,NO ROOM CHANGE!!! WE were to turn the air conditioning on to 40 degree to dry it!! After 3 days the carpet in front of the bathroom was still wet and starting to STINK we called,NO ROOM CHANGE,somehow while we were at the park the dryed the carpet and Deoderized it.

THE Wall paper in the bathroom had men on it staring at you while you tryed to do your business,there was one partuclar Learing pervert that really BOTHERED me!!

The beds are really High and the sheets don't stay on the mattresses by morning there was exposed mattess at our heads and feet,yeakyyyy. WE called to complain and found out they don't change the sheets daily,we requested that they change ours daily,they didn't the same black spots stayed there all weekend.

Getting sleep was patchy,due to sorers in our family[at HIFS there was a door on the master bedroom!!]

The only Adjustment we got was a refigerator that a gallon of milk wouldn't fit in!! [WE had to keep the milk iced in our calapsible cooler!]It took 3 days for the frige to get cold enough to get a coke cold enough to drink.

And for this I paid through the nose,cuz our dates were in PEAK SEASON[chosen to disrupt DD schooling as little as possable]I paid $104. a night.

OUR first night was at the cheapest RED ROOF I could find. $65. It had room on an inside corridor. And was DIRECTLY across from a Universal Enterance!! They were checking in a bus of girls but the manager came to the desk to check me in so there was no wait,they apploigized that there weren't any luggage carts available but 2 employees came out to help get the bags to the 3rd floor thru a side entrance right by the elevator!! We spent a very comfertable night!! And DD was Pleased to start our trip watching the Disney channel on the TV.

OUR next four nights were spent at the Holiday Inn Family Suites. Our oldest daughter and grandbaby joined us.

THEY arrived by Tiffany Towncar what a wonderful service!!! It came back 4 days later to return them to the Airport!! The Driver was Freindly and took charge of the luggage!

Making the count 4 adults and 13 mo.old. The crib was a real small crib not a play pen!! Service to the room was a little slow but we just called well in advance of the needed service pillows,coffee that sort of thing.

The Suite was a KID suite w/Disney theming[I found it much better than ALL STARS]
THE master bedroom had a huge king size bed!,TV,ceiling fan!and a Door.

THE kids room had two long bunk beds,a tv,cd player,nintendo 64,a phone that the kids called to get bedtime stories,table and chairs,drawers and a shelf,the speakers for the tv were in the bunks.

the livingroom,kitchen was more cramped than I thought But it worked. THE fridge was really cold. there was a microwave and sink and cupboard space. The bathroom was large!

ONE thing I would caution Everyone about is the PIZZA Delivery 3 med. pizza's cost us $70. I Didn't realize that INCLUDED the tip!!

WHEN we complained about not getting enough towels 2 days in a row,the aplogized and took money off the bill. NOW THATS SERVICE!!!!

**************************************************P.S. I forgot to mention that HIFS is right on the road into Epcot.It is a short mile from the WDW gates!!! It is closer than the Marriot World Resort that is talked about so much here on DIS!!

tink.gif

[This message was edited by tink2dw on 04-10-01 at 01:15 PM.]

I noticed that you mentioned that your savings will be around $150 so if you feel that this saved money will be better applied to other expenses such as food, souvenirs, or misc. costs (like gas, etc.) then I think you may find offsite an allround better option.

Also, a last consideration is the amount of time spent in your room vs. touring parks. If you will be gone mostly during the day and return at night, then your room (even if onsite) is going to at best serve an eating, sleeping, and showering function. If you or family would like as much maximum room as possible when stretching out then off property rooms tend to be bigger in comparison.

The hotel that you posted along with many others is less than a 10min drive up the road so your car may just get you to the parks or downtown disney sooner than onsite buses. I know others have reiterated on this board that their onsite stay did not always automatically guarantee a quicker arrival to the parks.

Also, like you last touched on in your post if you do stay onsite you definitely will be subjected to paying higher prices/spending more money for lunch as well as dinner meals, snacks, and so forth during your entire 7 day stay.

So, if you find yourself wanting or needing less expensive or even more varied dining/shopping options; you will likely use your rental car quite a bit during your stay to get to less costly options available offsite anyway.

Just my humble opinion; whatever you decide I hope you have a great time at Disney.

If you can stand the suspense, reserve a room for one night wherever you want to stay, and when you get to Orlando, look in the yellow pages under ticket brokers. Not only did I get a great price for a hotel room, but i also got a rental car for $99. for one week. :cool:

I guess in the end it's different strokes for different folks... I can cancel my current hotel room up to 48 hrs. (5 mths. from now) before I arrive without any pentalities. I think I'll check out priceline again, and see if maybe I can get a better room for the same $$ - that way it's up to fate to decide in or out. Thanks again - I'm sure I'll be posting again before I leave (at the next crisis). We were planning the beginning of Sept (right after labor day) is this a good time for low crowds? Are there fall specials I should be looking for?

If your choices are the Howard Johnson's Maingate East for $28.00 a night and All Stars for $49.00 a night, I would pick All Stars.

I have never stayed at either,but, I'm thinking the standards of an on-site resort might be higher than an off-site Howard Johnson's.

You might also want to try Priceline. If your 100% sure your going, you can find incredible hotels, for amazing prices! :)

and if you can swing it stay on site...it is worth the magic...you can save by buying snacks and keeping them in your room, eating kids meals they are more than enough at breakfast and lunch, by the refillable mugs if your big coffee or pop drinkers it will save you tons of money. Plus you didnt mention the kids ages...if they are teenagers they can use the buses to go where they want and you can go where you want, very safely. Having a car is a huge bonus as you can eat off property, and there is a McDonalds about 1/4 mile from the gate of ALL Star hotels...we would be staying on in May if they had room for 5....but I couldnt afford two rooms and DXL was just too crowded with the trundle, so we are offsite at HIFS. I am sure it will be fun anyway...oh and by the way, they are not kidding when they say the traffic to Kissimee is horrible, I have never been so aggravated in my life trying to go to Wal Mart last year for film, if I had known what the traffic was like I would have paid park prices for it...You will sit in bumper to bumper traffic for a lifetime.

Caribbean Beach 91
Off site 92
Off site Caribe Royale 97
All Sports 00
HIFS 5/01
yesears.gif

LOL, Tink2WD, I finally met someone else who's afraid of those ghostly guys! They really creep me out.
Anyhow, I just wanted to say we go to Disney a lot and stay both on and off site. I really have no preference. We have AP's and don't have to park so we save tons by using Priceline and get a lot more for our money than when staying at Disney. We don't care for the Disney bus service so that's not a problem either. We do stay onsite when we can get a really good deal and i think $49 is a really good deal.
I don't think driving is a pain at all but we stay very close to Disney and have never once experienced traffic. We usually stay at the Courtyard Marriot, HIFS, MOWC, or a DD resort and they are really only a couple of minutes farther than the Disney resorts. When we stayed on East 92 at the Hyatt, it took four minutes to get to MGM. Just look at a map before you decide.
I just wanted to let you know that if you need a few sundry items go down the " hotel row " at DD, turn left when you hit the end of the road ( at the Crossroads mall ), and in a couple of minutes, you will hit both a Walgreens and an Eckerds. I found this out when I needed a prescription filled. There are also a lot of very affordable restaurants down that way and I ended up stopping at a Subway.
I think you and your family can and will have a magical trip wherever you stay.

I would strongly recommend Priceline, you can do a lot better than HoJo's or even the All Stars for $38/night.

Also, since you'll have a car anyway, you can use the money you save to pay for parking and not be at the Mouse's mercy for transportation ...

If you need any help using Priceline, feel free to e-mail me at beckley@sprintmail.com .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter