Stingray Swim Excursion

gulley5

Earning My Ears
I keep hearing that the stingray swim excursion is awesome, but I can't find any info on it. Does anyone know the prices or recommended for ages above what?? Thanks for your help!

I don't know what the prices are, because my parents paid for it :rolleyes:, but I'd say the recommended age is, well, any age. I just got off the July 5th Magic and my family did Stingray City. It was so awesome. And don't worry, they don't sting. ;)

Nativeway is $25 per person, Children under 6 are free. You pay on the boat, not beforehand. No deposite is required either. If you go on the boat, but don't go into the water the price is $10 per person. My DD3, DS7 & DS9 had a blast. They provide snorkeling gear and punch & water to drink on-board.

They had a 2-stop tour for us - Stingray city and Coral Gardens. They spent more time at Stingray City than most of the other operators (got there earlier and left later).

They pick you up at the tender pier in a small bus and drive you to the marina. After your tour, they will drop you off at either the tender pier, or 7-mile beach - your choice. As an option, you can take a West-End island tour which included the Turtle Farm and Hell (for an extra $10 each) which they arranged.

Our group (of 19) was on the 44' Key West hull with Capt. Eldon Ebanks and his mate (name?). Everyone got to both hold and feed rays - very fun!

They do not have a videographer - you take your own pictures and video. The boat we were on had plenty of dry storage, so it wasn't a proble bringing cameras and shooting our own.

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg

pic13.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic15.jpg

My 3 year old is looking so forward to seeing the Stingrays when we go! We went to a local aquarium and she was feeding them dead fish and pettingthem.

You have a lot of options. Disney offers I believe 4 different excursions. Here is a link to Barb & Tony's site that has the excursions on it: Castaway Club We did the snorkeling with Stingrays and Discover Caymen which we thought was very good. Did Hell, the turtles and lots of time in the water with the Stingrays. It was a large boat and lots of people but everyone who wanted to feed them or hold them could.

I've also heard great things about Captain Marvins and Captain Bryans.

Great pictures, what kind of camera did you use?

Great pics. We are doing the Stingray through Disney $89.00.
I heard it is great to snorkel with the Stingrays. Sometimes the water is a little rough for people under 5'4 to get good footing.

Is it Aug 2 yet?
:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Its definitely much cheaper to book the stingray excursion on your own then through the ship. There are many great operators out there.

Cayman Islands Discounts Excursions offers trips on Catamarans and sailboats. You will find great deals on Captain Bryans, Snorkelers Dream and on private sailing stingray city trips with the Xanax and Red Baron.

Booking on your own gives you the option of smaller groups and more personalized trips plus they usually cost much much less:D

Genie ... OMG What great pictures. ? What kind of camera and were they taken on your Stingray Swim?

What if you are about 5 ft 5 and not in to snorkeling ... is it a problem or is there somewhere you can still "swim with the fishes"?

Thanks............Have a Very Mickey Day!

<b>@Goofynut</b>

The water is about 4 to 4.5 feet deep over much of the "standing" area at Stingray City. The boats park in deeper water around the perimeter, so you may have a "short" swim to get where you can stand.

All of the operators I saw there issued some sort of flotation device. Some used diving BC's, some ski jackets, and some Coast Guard style life preservers. If you are concerned about what you will get you could ask your operator, or bring your own.

We also brought cheap (under $3 = "disposable") blow-up pool rafts for our kids. It was easy to have the kids lay across this and look down with their masks, particularly in deeper water (Coral Gardens Smith's Cove, Dzul Ha, etc.). This way they were together, confortable, safe and very manageable - just drag the raft with them on it over the best spots. When we were done, we gave the rafts away to the locals so we didn't have to transport back to the ship.

I LOVE the blow up raft idea. Both my kids are too small to stand in 4.5 feet of water, while keeping the feet on the bottom. I think they would love to just float around and watch!Did you have to blow up the rafts yourselves or was there a air pump on board?

GenieDana - are the life vests optional? (I hope they make everyone wear some kind or another.)

And what do you mean by "short swim" to the stingray area? Will non-swimmers, or not so good swimmers be able to handle this?

Thanks!

We have a swim belt for our son who can swim and used it the last time we where there but he is only 4 so he isn't that strong a swimmer. It makes it easier to manouver when you get off the boat and making your way to the sand bar. He could touch in certain areas but the belt was just for safty.

Arm bands would be good too, what ever you can get them used too as we use them every time we go to a pool

<b>Poohbush</b>

Not everyone wore a life vest on our excursion at Stingray City, but the water is too deep to stand at Coral Gardens. I'm 5'5" and had no trouble - and dealt with kids at the same time.

If you are a reasonably strong swimmer or experienced snorkeler you should have no problem, even without a vest. If you don't swim well, I would seriously consider donning a vest. Accidents happen, so take responsible care to assess your situation.

The depth of the water at Stingray City depends on the proximity to the sand bar your boat is able to anchor. Our DD9 is 55" tall (wore no vest) and was able to stand and get in and out of the boat easily (she is a strong swimmer though). Our operator (Nativeway) was one of the first there on the bar, so we had good pickings where to anchor (upwind of the bar and in shallow water). The slower/larger boats and sailing catamarans got there later and had to anchor further out.

The wave state also matters - if it is windy there will be larger waves, so keep that in mind too.

We purchased Sting Ray City, Turtle Town and the Road to Hell through Disney. Everything was great, but the Road to Hell! What a joke! Cost always a little steep if you book through the cruise line. Go to www.disneycruise.com and I believe they post the cost of the excursions there.

Anyway, our daughter was 5 at the time and LOVED it! We had her snorkel, mask, and vest with us. She held my hand and floated the entire time. The water isn't too deep so I could stand most of the time. Worked out fine. Now she is ready for the Dolphins while we are in Nassau in October.

P.S. She did better at age 5 than most of the older kids. Some of the pre-teen kids were on Dad's back and wouldn't stand on their own. Sting Rays are awesome creatures. I would swim with them again!:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter