Stop Throwing Tissues on Me! – September 2023 Food and Wine Fest Trip Report! (Updated 2/12!)

Day 4, Part 3: Monsieur Paul! Part 1

After a nice long break, we started to get ready for our big dinner.

At 6:20 we made our way back to Epcot. We decided to head over super early since it was so ridiculously crowded we thought we may have a wait to get in, plus my moms leg was really bothering her so I wanted to have time to take it slow.

It ended up being a bit too early to head over, it was quick to get through security and into the park, and mom’s leg was holding up pretty well so we were in by about 6:30. Oh well! At least we didn’t have to rush.

We stopped at a bench just inside the gates to people watch for a few minutes before heading over to France.

On the way we stopped for pictures!

We ended up arriving at Monsieur Paul at about 6:45, and quickly got checked in, then went to sit down to wait for our table.

While waiting a handful of guests came in and were seated immediately, which was a bit annoying, it wasn’t like we were super early for our reservation, less than 5 minutes, but I guess the other people were just late for theirs. :confused3

While waiting a family came in with a member of the family in an ECV, so they ended up putting the guy in the ECV in an elevator, which was right next to where we were sitting, very well hidden behind a fancy wood looking door. This was actually good to know, my mom was still really struggling with stairs at this point and I wasn’t sure if they had an elevator here for her to use, so we were happy to see that they did have one.

So the CM gets the man in the ECV in the elevator and then leads the rest of the family up the stairs (the elevator was only big enough for a single occupant). Well, a minute later the same CM comes sprinting down the stairs and literally body slams the door to the elevator and keeps pushing it like he was trying to get the door closed to make the elevator work.

My mom and I immediately look at each other in a panic and both say at the exact same time “we’ll take the stairs!” to which the CM pushing against the door to the elevator goes “that would be a smart idea.”

On one hand it was a hilarious interaction, it almost was the trip report title, but on the other hand we felt soooo bad for this poor person stuck in the elevator, so it just felt like bad form to make the TR title about something that was probably a horrible experience for someone else. I don’t know how long that person was stuck in there, but from what the CM was saying, the ECV was too heavy for the elevator so it was pretty much stuck.

We did eventually see the family upstairs in the restaurant, so they did finally make it off, but yeah, I hope their meal was comped or they got something, that would have been such a scary experience!

Finally, after about a 15-minute wait, we were brought upstairs to our table.

I was a bit bummed that we didn’t get a table by the windows, yet the parties who arrived after us but were lead upstairs first were seated there. Oh well, at least we were in for some amazing food!

Monsieur Paul is currently a prix fixe menu, with a slightly eye watering price tag of $195/person. This does of course include a very delicious multicourse menu, which in the end was 100% worth the price!

The last time we ate here was back in 2013, and we loved it back then, so we were overdue for a return here!

According to the menu (which we got to take home with us) it was 8 courses. We also decided to get the wine pairing to go with it, there were two wine pairings, we opted for the slightly more expensive one which came with 5 drinks instead of the 4 in the less expensive pairing.

With the menu, for most courses we had a choice of food, which my goodness was a hard decision to make! I do think we both did a fantastic job, and we didn’t always get the same thing so we got to try more! The only thing I didn’t really like is we had to select our dessert right at the beginning. I was hoping we could pick it closer to the end of the meal to gauge how full we were, but oh well, not the end of the world!

The meal started with an amuse-bouche and some champagne. The champagne is part of the regular meal rather than part of the wine pairing, so even if you don’t get the wine pairing you get the champagne.

For the amuse-bouche we got three small dishes: a salmon, a chilled soup (think it was butternut squash), and a bread. This was all delicious, although I think I would have preferred the soup warm rather than chilled.

While not on the menu, before our next course, we were brought the bread service. We could pick our breads, I believe there were three. I got the cheese bread and my mom got the olive bread. I’m shocked to say I preferred my moms! It was amazing! I need to find a recipe to make this at home.

Our next course was the appetizer. For this we both ordered the lobster (Maine Lobster salad with passion fruite vinaigrette). The other options were escargot, and a saffron mussels soup.

This was paired with a white wine, that was actually from our servers hometown!

This was so ridiculously good, the sauces on the plate were phenomenal, I could just eat a tub of those sauces!

The next course was the fish course. Here my mom and I ordered different items. I ended up getting the snapper in potato scales with rosemary sauce, while my mom got the seared scallops with maple butternut squash velouté.

This was paired with another white wine, which I absolutely loved.

I think my mom won this round, while I loved the snapper, the maple butternut squash sauce with her scallops was so ridiculously good. Mine was great, but the rosemary sauce just wasn’t quite as amazing as the squash sauce.

Next up: Monsieur Paul! Part 2!

Last edited:
I'm still trying to get over the fact that someone was stuck in the elevator. ;)

The food looks amazing. :)

OMG - getting stuck by myself in a small elevator is among my worst nightmares. I have never dined here and you are definitely making me want to put it on my 2024 list! Everything looks divine ... particularly that wine pairing list!!

OMG - getting stuck by myself in a small elevator is among my worst nightmares. I have never dined here and you are definitely making me want to put it on my 2024 list! Everything looks divine ... particularly that wine pairing list!!
Yeah, I feel horrible for that guy. I would have had a total panic attack if it were me!

We absolutely loved this place, every single item of food was amazing. I can't wait to go back!

Day 4, Part 4: Monsieur Paul! Part 2!

While we were waiting for our next course, the manager came over to us and asked if we would like to be moved to a window seat. Of course we accepted! Yay!!!!! This is just what I was hoping for, I really wanted to see the fireworks from there!

After settling into our new table, the next course was the trou normand, which was a pear brandy with vanilla ice cream. This was super decadent, and very strong!

Before the next main course was brought out, we got another bread course!

This time I selected the olive bread, and mom got the French baguette.

Next up was the meat course, and once again my mom and I got different items. She got the lamb (rack of lamb roasted in a cocotte, curly green cabbage, stuffed with mushrooms and chestnuts, fresh thyme juices), while I got the beef (center cut beef tenderloin roasted, porcini fricassee, mashed potatoes mousseline, Bordelaise sauce).

This was paired with an amazing red wine.

My steak came with mashed potatoes, which the waitress noted was 50% butter. :oops: I mean it was good, but wow, that’s a lot of butter!

Mom’s lamb was good, it was cooked, and frankly tasted like, corned beef and cabbage! Mom loved it. I loved my steak. It was cooked perfectly!

Our next course was the cheese course, but we got a little extra surprise here. They were apparently testing a new menu item, so decided to bring one of those out and one of the cheese plates, which was so awesome! My mom and I ended splitting them, and it was all so good. The new dish they were trying out was basically a baked goat cheese salad, which was soooo good, although super heavy. The cheese plate was much lighter, and also really good.

Finally it was time for the dessert course. I believe at some point around the dessert course the fireworks went off. It was cool seeing them from there, but definitely not the best view!

For dessert we both opted for the chocolate sphere (chocolate almond cake, chocolate cream, hazelnut biscuit, chocolate ice cream, warm chocolate cognac sauce), which my goodness, this was so amazing. When they bring it out, they pour hot chocolate cognac sauce over it which makes the sphere break, so not only a cool presentation, but also really delicious!

We had another wine pairing with the dessert, it was more of a dessert wine, our grand marnier was also brought out during this course.

You would think we were done then right? But nope! We had more coming!

The final course were macaroons, with a port wine.

This was amazing, but way too much food. We decided to get the macaroons to go, and just sip the wine while watching people clearing out the park below.

Finally, like 40 minutes after the park closed, we slowly made our way out. Of course I got some pictures with no one in them!

This was such an amazing experience, I would 100% do it again. It was a ridiculous amount of food though, we basically had to waddle home.

We were a bit worried about the amount of alcohol we’d be drinking this evening, but we didn’t feel too bad, it was a lot, but over such a long time, we never felt like we were getting drunk. Plus we drank a ton of water throughout.

So if you’re on the fence about going here, I definitely recommend. It was such a great experience!

When we finally made it home, we walked into the room to find it had turned into a sauna! OMG, it was miserably hot in the room. I look at the thermostat and it is set to 85 degrees! WHAT!?! So I quickly turned it down, but it was still miserably hot in the room, so I also opened the door to let some of the heat out. I also checked the vent, and it was scorching hot air blowing out, ew. Fortunately after opening the door and turning the temperature down it did cool off relatively quickly, but my goodness, why was it set to 85!?!?! Our thermostat was kinda spastic this entire trip, like it was constantly changing the temperature on its own, so I guess this may have just been more of that? :confused3

Next up: Hanging out with a Bunch of Animals!

(also, for anyone watching bowl games today LETS GO PSU!!!)

Wow!! You have sold me on Monsieur Paul. And how delightful of them to move you to a window seat. Just have to wait for a night where I'm staying over so I can fully enjoy the pairing! I love potatoes in any form, but mashed potatoes are my favorite. Look up the recipe for Robuchon mashed potatoes -- it's close to half butter. I can't recall if he (Joel Robuchon) is one of the chefs de france along with Paul Bocuse (who is the Paul in Monsieur Paul). Sorry - food nerd. What a beautiful evening!!! The resort thermostats are an endless source of frustration for me ... they never seem to work and I hate that they auto turn off without movement... I always wake up in the middle of the night sweating.

It is a good thing that the portions are small. It all looks amazing. I bet a lot of people take the macaroons to go. :)

It is very cool to walk through Epcot at night when the park is empty. It was nice to just have the short walk back to your resort. But it was a real mood breaker to come back to an 85 degree room. That is crazy.

You are the 2nd person whose trip report talks about Sangria University. It sounds like so much fun!!!

Wow! What a great dining experience. I think the price tag for Monsieur Paul will keep me away for the time being. But someday...someday...(as I add it to my dream list of things to do in Disney.)

Wow!! You have sold me on Monsieur Paul. And how delightful of them to move you to a window seat. Just have to wait for a night where I'm staying over so I can fully enjoy the pairing! I love potatoes in any form, but mashed potatoes are my favorite. Look up the recipe for Robuchon mashed potatoes -- it's close to half butter. I can't recall if he (Joel Robuchon) is one of the chefs de france along with Paul Bocuse (who is the Paul in Monsieur Paul). Sorry - food nerd. What a beautiful evening!!! The resort thermostats are an endless source of frustration for me ... they never seem to work and I hate that they auto turn off without movement... I always wake up in the middle of the night sweating.
I'm glad! It was such an amazing dinner, and being moved to the window seat was definitely a bonus!

I'll have to look up those mashed potatoes, the ones they served were soooooo good, although being half butter I guess that makes sense! :rotfl:

I hate the room thermostats these days, I miss the old ones! We thought we lucked out this trip since ours was already overridden when we got there to be set lower than 68, but then it kept changing the temp throughout the trip on its own, it was so weird!

It is a good thing that the portions are small. It all looks amazing. I bet a lot of people take the macaroons to go. :)
Definitely good the portions were small, even with the small portions we were super stuffed by the end of the meal.
It is very cool to walk through Epcot at night when the park is empty. It was nice to just have the short walk back to your resort. But it was a real mood breaker to come back to an 85 degree room. That is crazy.
Being in the park that long after close was really cool, loved feeling like we were the only ones there!

Yeah, walking into our room and it being that hot was a total shock and super annoying since we just wanted to go to bed, there's no way we could sleep with it being that hot in there. Thankfully it was fairly cool outside that evening so opening the door helped a lot, so it cooled down pretty quickly!

You are the 2nd person whose trip report talks about Sangria University. It sounds like so much fun!!!
It is so much fun, I definitely recommend it!
Wow! What a great dining experience. I think the price tag for Monsieur Paul will keep me away for the time being. But someday...someday...(as I add it to my dream list of things to do in Disney.)
It was such an amazing dinner, but yeah, crazy expensive! While I love the tasting menu, I do wish they would bring back the a la carte menu as well so people have the option of going all out or getting a more reasonably priced meal.

Day 5, Part 1: Hanging out with a Bunch of Animals!

We were up super early this morning, we wanted to get the first bus for AK, which in theory would be around 6:30 for the 7:30 early entry.

So we got down to the bus stop around 6:25, and at first the bus arrival time wasn’t showing, but a minute or two later it did, and it showed the next bus for AK was at 6:59! Ugh, I hate buses.

I decided to try for a Minnie Van since I didn’t want to be at the back of the early entry line. I was shocked that I was able to get a Minnie Van immediately, and it was only 6 minutes away, so we went to the porte cochere to wait. Of course, about a minute before our car arrived, a bus showed up for the AK. :rotfl2:

Oh well, at least we had a lovely relaxing ride over!

We arrived at AK just before 7, and quickly made our way through security and got in line to enter the park.

Right at 7, I, along with a ton of others in line around us, tried to start making ILL or G+ selections, but it wasn’t working for anyone. There was a lot of frustration around us. I wasn’t too upset, I figured if it wasn’t working for anyone, it wasn’t like we were missing out on the ILL I wanted to book, so just kept trying, and finally at like 7:05 I was able to book our ILL for Guardians later that evening. While booking I let the family behind us in line who were complaining about G+ not working that it was working, so they were able to book theirs too, and funny enough also booked Guardians for the same time as us!

Finally at 7:15 they started to let us into the park.

We were in no rush this morning, so stopped first for some photos in front of the ToL.

We then made our way back to EE, which at this point in the morning had no line, so we walked right on.

Once off, there was still no line, so I opted to ride again, mom didn’t want to but went to get a video of me on the ride!

My mom really wanted to get a video of me on the ride, and she tried so hard, but she sadly overestimated the wait time, I was off the ride before she even started to try to film me!

After the ride I went to go find her, and saw her at the overlook area filming the big drop so I went over and tapped her on the shoulder. She whipped around and saw it was me, and exclaims, “What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be on the ride!” :rotfl:

HAAAAA.

She actually thought I bailed out and didn’t ride I made it through so fast. Oh well, she tried to get a video, maybe next time!

By this point, it was time for our return time for FoP, so made our way over there. Getting pictures on the way.

There was a bit of a wait here, but soon we were flying!

Up Next: Caring For Giants!!!!!

Last edited:
We ended up arriving at Monsieur Paul at about 6:45, and quickly got checked in, then went to sit down to wait for our table.

While waiting a handful of guests came in and were seated immediately, which was a bit annoying, it wasn’t like we were super early for our reservation, less than 5 minutes, but I guess the other people were just late for theirs
Oh my gosh, Monsieur Paul’s ! I am going to be living vicariously through your description of this meal.
I think my mom won this round, while I loved the snapper, the maple butternut squash sauce with her scallops was so ridiculously good. Mine was great, but the rosemary sauce just wasn’t quite as amazing as the squash sauce
I would totally go for those scallops!
Our next course was the cheese course, but we got a little extra surprise here. They were apparently testing a new menu item, so decided to bring one of those out and one of the cheese plates, which was so awesome! My mom and I ended splitting them, and it was all so good. The new dish they were trying out was basically a baked goat cheese salad, which was soooo good, although super heavy. The cheese plate was much lighter, and also really good.
Both look amazing!
For dessert we both opted for the chocolate sphere (chocolate almond cake, chocolate cream, hazelnut biscuit, chocolate ice cream, warm chocolate cognac sauce), which my goodness, this was so amazing. When they bring it out, they pour hot chocolate cognac sauce over it which makes the sphere break, so not only a cool presentation, but also really delicious!
Yum!
This was amazing, but way too much food. We decided to get the macaroons to go, and just sip the wine while watching people clearing out the park below.
Perfection!
Right at 7, I, along with a ton of others in line around us, tried to start making ILL or G+ selections, but it wasn’t working for anyone. There was a lot of frustration around us. I wasn’t too upset, I figured if it wasn’t working for anyone, it wasn’t like we were missing out on the ILL I wanted to book, so just kept trying, and finally at like 7:05 I was able to book our ILL for Guardians later that evening. While booking I let the family behind us in line who were complaining about G+ not working that it was working, so they were able to book theirs too, and funny enough also booked Guardians for the same time as us!
Something was glitching for sure.

Can’t wait to hear how you enjoyed Caring for Giants. :)

Ugh, I hate buses.
The BC buses can be very weird. Sometimes a random bus will show up without warning. Other times the buses don't wait for their posted arrival times before departing. We try to keep an eye on the bus times listed on the MDE app, but buses can still be random.

Oh my gosh, Monsieur Paul’s ! I am going to be living vicariously through your description of this meal.
It was so amazing, I really want to eat there again!
I would totally go for those scallops!
They were definitely the better of the two dishes, not that mine was bad, but the scallops were just amazing!
Both look amazing!
Yeah, I'm glad we got to try the new item along with the old one, they were both great!
This dessert was crazy good, I would 100% get this again!
Perfection!
It was, such a great end to the meal!
Something was glitching for sure.
Yeah, there were a bunch of reports on here from that week of G+ not working at 7am, it didn't impact us much since we didn't use it a ton, but it is frustrating that it was apparently a daily issue. Their IT really is quite bad!
Can’t wait to hear how you enjoyed Caring for Giants. :)
It was amazing! Posting about it soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter