Stupid names for a child

Didn’t read the whole thread yet, but I just wanted to mention there’s a subreddit for this (of course :upsidedow )

It’s r/tradgedeigh. Get it? Sound it out slowly…
Tragedy

Another name that is cute but weird and I always thought it sounds weird is Lucky and when I see the name Lucky it brings to mind a teenager with sunglasses and I think Lucky is a good name for a pet not a human. But also Chance has become a popular name and I think it is cool but as a nickname. But in names today I noticed that Ryan is becoming very popular and the name for girls that is popular is Riley but I have never figured out why Riley is now pronounced Rail-lee and Riley is spelled Raley and the first time I saw that spelling of Riley was because of the supermarket chain of the same name. But in boys names I have noticed a lot of weird names like instead of Mark and Marcus it's Marquell Marshan and Marque and I can't figure it out

Another name that is cute but weird and I always thought it sounds weird is Lucky and when I see the name Lucky it brings to mind a teenager with sunglasses and I think Lucky is a good name for a pet not a human. But also Chance has become a popular name and I think it is cool but as a nickname. But in names today I noticed that Ryan is becoming very popular and the name for girls that is popular is Riley but I have never figured out why Riley is now pronounced Rail-lee and Riley is spelled Raley and the first time I saw that spelling of Riley was because of the supermarket chain of the same name. But in boys names I have noticed a lot of weird names like instead of Mark and Marcus it's Marquell Marshan and Marque and I can't figure it out
Riley is pronounced like rye-lee, not rail-lee. Variant of the Irish surname Reilly.

The most unique name I ever encountered was in College when I met a man named Enoch just because it was not really a typical name for our area so I had never heard it before. Until he explained it, I just was befuddled at how to spell it, where it was from etc :)

I still think Frank Zappa wins for odd kids names.
An old Biblical name. I went to school with an Enoch.

How do you define "popular"? You keep say "this name" and "that name" are becoming popular, but what does that mean?

FWIW, DS (now 20) went to school with a Ryan, one of DD's teammates is named Riley (she turns 18 today I think). So these names have been around for decades.

I worked really hard at choosing names for my kids. I wanted normal but uncommon names. I grew up in the Jessica/Tiffany/Jennifer era and I remember having 4 Jessica's in my 3rd grade class. I didn't want to do that to my kids but I also didn't want them getting teased on the playground because I chose something all crazy pants. In addition, I wanted to choose names that would sound dignified on an adult. I wasn't naming kindergarteners. I worked hard to name adults.

My mother tells a story about how my grandmother had originally chosen a different name for her. She was originally supposed to be April Mae Lastname. She was born in March. She said she thought it was adorable and almost wished her mother had stuck with that choice. You were born in March and your name was almost April Mae? That's not cute it's idiotic. It's barely cute on a 5 year old but truly heinous on an adult.

That said, DS5 was in preschool this year and the only double name in his class is his. I worked so hard to give him a normal, regular yet not common name that he could wear with pride into adulthood and it is the only double name in his class. Awesome.
I was born in September but my name is April (I have an unusual middle name that combines two family names).

I was baby #5 and my mother had chosen Tamara Lynn if was a girl. Lo and behold her best friend (at the time) had a little girl in July, and stole the name (she pronounced it Tam-mar-ah & my mother was going say mine Tam-ra, but we both would’ve been called Tammy).

My mom decided that surely we girls would grow up together, so she couldn’t also name me Tammy. She turned to my grandmother to name me. My grandmother was born in April… so there ya go.

I didn’t love my name growing up… but that’s more because it was really rare to find anything personalized with my name. But I am super glad I wasn’t named Tamara or Tammy.

As a kid I was teased occasionally— called April May June, or sometimes Ape. But looking back, I think most kids got teased about their name at one time or another. And I was just one of those kids that seems to be a magnet for bullies, regardless. I got teased (and terrorized really) for so many things besides my name.

On an another note— my grandmother’s name was Stanley… she was called Sandy.
My son’s name is Nicholas… we call him Nickle-Pickle as a silly family only nickname.

A co-workers daughter wanted to name her son, Lyric. We talked her out of that one. In the same company, we had a worker named LaQuinta Partee... last name pronounced Par-tay. We always wondered if that's where she was concieved.

I grew up in the Jessica/Tiffany/Jennifer era and I remember having 4 Jessica's in my 3rd grade class.
My son spent a couple of years on a soccer with three other boys with his name. So out of 11 (we were playing 8v8 at the time I think), four of them had the same name.
Boy1: Full first name
Boy2: Shortened first name
Boy3: First Initial, Middle initial
Boy4 (DS): Shortened First name, Last name

His coach at the time is now DD's coach, and this was ~10 years ago. The coach still refers to DS as ShortenedFirstName, Lastname. :rotfl2:

There is a name Lyrica and I never knew Lyric was an actual name but I think Lyric is a cute name. I always liked looking at name books and that's where I get ideas for screen names and name books is where you can easily learn about origins of names. Another boy's name I really do love is Alastair because it fits a gentleman and another name I do love is Soren because it sounds so cool but I dislike the nickname Sory because it sounds too much like sorry

Many names started out more one gender but now are both. Some names I can think of in our schools:

Jordan
Taylor
Reagan
Cameron
Michah
Michael/Mikel
Riley
Ryan
Dylan

Just to name a few.

But what is the big deal? My son has one of the names listed above but it is because it is a family name, not because I wanted it to be ambiguous.
I realized one day that 3 of my 4 girls have ambiguous names.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter