Sunshine Flyer Experiences

Am I assuming correctly that Sunshine Flyer is currently servicing WDW hotels only to and from MCO? (Not Universal hotels?)

I know this is the Sunshine Flyer thread, but wanted to share our Uber/Lyft experience since we were back and forth about using them vs a bus. We paid about $55 each way including tip (Lyft from MCO-> POP, Uber POP->MCO). This was arriving 1:45pm on a Friday, returing at 7:30am on a Sunday. We waited 7 minutes at MCO for our Lyft driver. Our Sunday morning Uber driver was exactly on time, actually 5 minutes early. We left POP at 7:25am for a 9:30am flight (I scheduled it via Uber app on Saturday afternoon while sitting at the pool). It was nice not to head out 3 hours early!

The prices I listed were for the "next" step up from Basic Lyft/Ubers, so we paid a few bucks more. Cars were nice, roomy SUVs, and drivers were great/quiet. We don't necessarily love Uber/Lyft, but this was perfect and saved us a lot of time for a very short trip.

Hopefully not breaking any rules, just wanted to share because we were making same decisions about transport as it was our first trip post-DME.

Last edited:
Can anyone help explain how to book round trip transportation for a split stay using the Sunshine Flyer? Much appreciated!

I had emailed Sunshine Flyer to ask this question. You will need to book 2 one way rides. But you can book 1 way via the cart and then go back and book the 2nd ride via the cart. And then pay all at once. It was actually pretty easy.

any issues with number of pieces of luggage? family of five: 5 carryons plus a small personal item that could be put in the carry on after we land. Plus 2 bigger checked bags.

Am I assuming correctly that Sunshine Flyer is currently servicing WDW hotels only to and from MCO? (Not Universal hotels?)
Correct. The bus option for Universal is Universal’s SuperStar Shuttle. This can be added to your Universal vacation package.

Hopefully not breaking any rules, just wanted to share because we were making same decisions about transport as it was our first trip post-DM
What would you have done if dynamic pricing resulted in a price more then double what you were quoted when you requested a ride? Happens with some frequency.

There are other threads where posters share their experiences with Uber and Lyft.

Some posters asking about Mears and Sunshine have no interest in ride share. Need car seats. Cost savings for 1 or 2 pax. Price certainty.

Has anyone used Sunshine Flyer for an earlier flight? I have a flight that leaves MCO at 6:30am and I only see 7am as the earliest option. If it might be tight, maybe I'll try Uber...but no idea if that'll be available at 4/4:30 in the morning.

I know this is the Sunshine Flyer thread, but wanted to share our Uber/Lyft experience since we were back and forth about using them vs a bus. We paid about $55 each way including tip (Lyft from MCO-> POP, Uber POP->MCO). This was arriving 1:45pm on a Friday, returing at 7:30am on a Sunday. We waited 7 minutes at MCO for our Lyft driver. Our Sunday morning Uber driver was exactly on time, actually 5 minutes early. We left POP at 7:25am for a 9:30am flight (I scheduled it via Uber app on Saturday afternoon while sitting at the pool). It was nice not to head out 3 hours early!

The prices I listed were for the "next" step up from Basic Lyft/Ubers, so we paid a few bucks more. Cars were nice, roomy SUVs, and drivers were great/quiet. We don't necessarily love Uber/Lyft, but this was perfect and saved us a lot of time for a very short trip.

Hopefully not breaking any rules, just wanted to share because we were making same decisions about transport as it was our first trip post-DME.

This was very helpful to me as I am debating Uber/Lyft vs bus for our trip next week. There are 3 of us and no car seats needed. My plan is to check ride share prices when we land and then decide. I think I can book either bus service at the airport.

What would you have done if dynamic pricing resulted in a price more then double what you were quoted when you requested a ride? Happens with some frequency.

There are other threads where posters share their experiences with Uber and Lyft.

Some posters asking about Mears and Sunshine have no interest in ride share. Need car seats. Cost savings for 1 or 2 pax. Price certainty.

Again, my apologies if this was inappropriate, but it was our first trip after the end of DME so I thought some people were like me and trying to decide. I did try to find a general Uber/Lyft thread and missed it I guess. Was truly just trying to be helpful.

I'm not certain what you mean about dynamic pricing -- I'm familiar with that concept that it depends on the time/car availability/demand/etc as to how much you pay and that there's "surge" pricing for things like after big events or concerts. I've never known them to quote a price when you book and then it changes when you end the ride. In this case, it was exactly what it showed when I confirmed the ride. As far as what I would have done -- I would have complained to the driver (if I'd realized in time) and Uber/Lyft. Guess it's a good idea to get a screen shot when you book, but I've never ever had that problem.

I just don't understand how two bus companies can make when Lyft is offering a more convenient product for less money.

My son is obsessed with trains! Looking forward to starting off our trip with a little train magic.

I just don't understand how two bus companies can make when Lyft is offering a more convenient product for less money.

Families. Uber/Lyft are great if you're a couple or 3 adults and don't need car seats, strollers, tons of luggage, etc. Before we had kids, we used Lyft XL on previous trips and the $60 was well worth it.

Now as someone traveling with a toddler, my options are basically rent a car/car seat or pay for a much more expensive car service like kidmoto ($160 each way) that guarantees drivers with the car seats you requested, or I can load everyone up on a large bus for $93 round trip.

Families. Uber/Lyft are great if you're a couple or 3 adults and don't need car seats, strollers, tons of luggage, etc. Before we had kids, we used Lyft XL on previous trips and the $60 was well worth it.

But are families with young children enough to keep both bus companies in business?

But are families with young children enough to keep both bus companies in business?

That's a good point. I can tell you I did not book Mears specifically because they don't guarantee you'll get a bus. I feel much safer with my kid in a large bus then I do if we had to bring him in a van or car. I've also heard a horror story from friends of ours who had the bus skip them, then had Mears send a driver with no car seat (despite making it clear to dispatch one was needed) and in order to make their flight they had to have their 2 year old wedged between them in the back seat.

Sunshine Flyer at least is going for theming, is invested in new busses and operates in multiple cities. Mears as we know has been in Orlando forever - so I guess the answer is maybe?

I don’t think 2 companies will make it.
Why a bus? Cheaper for 2 and probably 3 pax. Car seats. Unlimited luggage. Price guarantee. Check Uber prices. Double typical pricing shows up.

Again, my apologies if this was inappropriate, but it was our first trip after the end of DME so I thought some people were like me and trying to decide.
Not inappropriate at all. It's always helpful to read about peoples experiences with transportation.
It will be interesting to see how they do. Competition is good for consumers, but some companies don't make it.

In Disney where it is a major draw for family vacations, yes. In most other areas of the world no. My trip in a few weeks is 3 kids 5 and under. I actually really like ride share, but there is absolutely no way I'm going to find a ride with 3 car seats! Even finding a ride with one car seat can be hit and miss.

I also think there is a group of people with a similar mindset to my parents who aren't comfortable with uber that will use it.

I can tell you I did not book Mears specifically because they don't guarantee you'll get a bus.

that seals it for me, there are 5 of us and we will have carry ons plus 2 bigger checked bags; I think the storage under a bus would be better for us.

it will be interesting to see if both services are able to survive.

It is not just families with young children. I book Mears all the time. Rideshares are too expensive for one person when I can go on the bus for half price, and it isn't a great deal more convenient. However, they did lose my suitcase last time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter