Super discouraged, what does it take to pass ROFR?

qv09vvp

Disney or Bust
We have literally spent 70 days in ROFR over the course of 3 different contracts that were eventually taken.

3 Different realtors...all for Saratoga (Aug, Sept, Oct ) use year... 160 -200 points...

one had no point in 2017, one had partial points 2017, one had full points 2017.

We didn't get a super cheap deal..in fact, right in line or above market from comparing to others....

It's beginning to feel personal Disney...I'm just saying....

:charac2:

Wow, that's tough. Your case alone shows it is not common sense to us what they take, obviously some behind the scenes formula.

I passed with a loaded SSR contract in June @$78 a point. My use year was February, through Fidelity. Following DVC Resale Market's blogs about ROFR, SSR is the most taken resort from them this year, but none had a Feb use year which I found interesting.

I had one contract taken earlier this year (OKW) and that sucked. I can't even imagine getting three taken.

I passed a loaded SSR @ 79 pp in July, also with a Feb u/y. I've seen some speculation that once you've passed your uy, then it's easier to pass ROFR. If so, then it should be easier for you once you're close to, or past Oct. I have obviously no idea if that's true.

I've seen some speculation that once you've passed your uy, then it's easier to pass ROFR. If so, then it should be easier for you once you're close to, or past Oct. I have obviously no idea if that's true.

I buy into this thinking. With the UY coming up, they know they'll be able to flip it and sell the points at retail. Not sure if there's a waitlist for SSR points, but I would imagine there is for at least a couple UYs.

Sorry to hear this... That is brutal. We are currently going through ROFR now for the first time... Any chance that Disney also looks at the individual buyer in making their decision? I have no idea what variables they consider, but have often wondered if the buyer enters the equation. In thinking about our own situation we attended a one-on-one sales pitch while in Disney and they have followed up with us a couple of times since... Hope you have better luck on the next one.

We have literally spent 70 days in ROFR over the course of 3 different contracts that were eventually taken.

3 Different realtors...all for Saratoga (Aug, Sept, Oct ) use year... 160 -200 points...

one had no point in 2017, one had partial points 2017, one had full points 2017.

We didn't get a super cheap deal..in fact, right in line or above market from comparing to others....

I don't know which 3 realtors you used....but $85/pt seems low to me....notwithstanding the other posters here that got really great deals a month or so ago. Keep in mind that these boards represent a small percentage of resale buyers. If you really, really want in at SSR, I suggest a different realtor that has their sellers asking higher prices. I had been thinking about selling a small contract to a friend and wanted to circumvent a realtor....contacted DVC....they sent me the required documents I would need to provide, along with 2 realtors that they recommend to handle the sale if I decide otherwise. These two realtors prices are much lower than three others that I monitor daily. Wonder why that is? Some sellers have no clue that they are sitting on gold.....they have life situations and just need to let their DVC go.....and DVC is happy if they list it low to scoop it up.

Last edited:
I have been told that DVD has increased their ROFR take backs and that they have increased the sold out resort sales.

It may not be a broker issue but a DVD lowered their requirements issue.

:earsboy: Bill

Sorry, I got interrupted and did not finish my post. I've seen SSR going for over $90/pt, higher for smaller contracts. Right now it is a seller's market...never thought I would see the day that SSR would be asking over $90/pt! Just a few years ago they were practically giving it away. But with all of the new shops and places to eat at SSR, plus the walking bridge, SSR is coming back. And with all of the Star Wars and Toy Story stuff at Hollywood Studios, the Epcot DVC's are commanding a high price too. And Animal Kingdom....the Pandora addition has increased prices there as well. If you really want in at SSR, you may have to pay more than you want to. Another alternative is the vast amount of timeshares in the area. People are selling them for $1 on ebay. Granted the annual dues are $1000/year for a 2 bedroom duplex and you don't get ANY of the DVC perks and all that, PLUS you are married to a specific week each year.....that totally stinks!!!! Which is why I love my DVC.....it is so flexible, I can bank my points and I'm not beholden to a specific week every year.

So....IMHO, you either need to bite the bullet and submit an offer at asking price that is higher than what you are willing to spend (and I suggest you do the available research on this....not just on this board) or continue to search for SSR points for $85 and hope that you don't get ROFRd. It seems to be a crapshoot.

That being said, we purchased direct in 1997 and at three other resorts afterwards...then found the resale market. When we found what we wanted we always came in at asking price...got the contract...and never got ROFR'd. We just sold a small contract at a very high price and it was not rofr'd either. I really think price and available points is key....but then again, I probably don't have a clue. Just my own observations.

I didn't say that I offered 85 on the prior 2 contracts...in fact we offered higher. that's what we settled on for the latest contract because it was 200 points. I've adjusted my pricing depending upon banked points, borrowed or stripped points....

My husband reported that the realtor told him that not only was our contract taken but 6 others were taken in a large group today.

I may be doing something wrong or it just may be bad luck.

My hubby tends to think like Greg36 --we've looked at disney, taken the tours....and then decided resale should be our first purchase. disney knows we go every year or so...

So before I get into analytics, I have to say that I'm very sorry and it sucks that you had all three contracts taken.

Now for the boring facts. There are many variables that go into an ROFR decision. UY, price, demand, waitlist, banked points, which building the deed is, and a few others I'm forgetting. After that add in the fact that there is definitely (this is confirmed) a random aspect to the process. I personally also think that there is a vendetta aspect as others have mentioned, but don't have any confirmation on this. :)

Point is, nobody really knows but I'm sorry you got bit three times. If I told you some of the deals I had taken from me you would instantly feel better, but just know that you're not alone. Good luck with the next one! :)

I didn't say that I offered 85 on the prior 2 contracts...in fact we offered higher. that's what we settled on for the latest contract because it was 200 points. I've adjusted my pricing depending upon banked points, borrowed or stripped points....

My husband reported that the realtor told him that not only was our contract taken but 6 others were taken in a large group today.

I may be doing something wrong or it just may be bad luck.

My hubby tends to think like Greg36 --we've looked at disney, taken the tours....and then decided resale should be our first purchase. disney knows we go every year or so...

Sorry, was just going with what you posted on the ROFR thread. $85 seems low in this market right now. SSR will no longer be the bargain it was a few years ago. And many of those purchasers had no intention of ever staying there and wanted to trade up at the 7 month mark. Maybe try for a more expensive resort, less points, and add on later? I think DVC has gotten the clue about cheap resale at SSR. You may get lucky like some of the previous posters, so keep on trying, it doesn't cost anything really. In the meanwhile, you can rent other timeshares in the area cheap....but DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES attend any of their meetings. People complain about DVC salespersons..but nothing can compare to what I have seen and heard at other places!!! Never, ever!! buy into a timeshare without doing research for months!!!

I'm looking for the same UY's (Aug, Sep or Oct) at any of 3 different resorts and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for via resale. I called DVC and was willing to buy any 1 of them direct. Waitlist. I figured, nah, if I've got to wait, I'll just keep looking for resale. Wish I'd gotten on the waitlist, because I'm getting tired of spending all my time checking websites.

Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like those UY are being taken and are in high demand.

If you look at the ROFR thread for July - Sep, all but one contract that's listed under "taken" so far has a Aug or Sep UY.

Last edited:
I'm looking for the same UY's (Aug, Sep or Oct) at any of 3 different resorts and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for via resale. I called DVC and was willing to buy any 1 of them direct. Waitlist. I figured, nah, if I've got to wait, I'll just keep looking for resale. Wish I'd gotten on the waitlist, because I'm getting tired of spending all my time checking websites.

Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like those UY are being taken and are in high demand.

If you look at the ROFR thread for July - Sep, all but one contract that's listed under "taken" so far has a Aug or Sep UY.

Personally I would get on the "list" for every single DVC resale outlet...there are many. Contact them directly with what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay. I have found some that will be totally honest with you. And will contact you directly before something hits their website. They will tell you when your offer is low ball...and you have to be able to take that and go with it.

Sorry, I got interrupted and did not finish my post. I've seen SSR going for over $90/pt, higher for smaller contracts. Right now it is a seller's market...never thought I would see the day that SSR would be asking over $90/pt! Just a few years ago they were practically giving it away. But with all of the new shops and places to eat at SSR, plus the walking bridge, SSR is coming back. And with all of the Star Wars and Toy Story stuff at Hollywood Studios, the Epcot DVC's are commanding a high price too. And Animal Kingdom....the Pandora addition has increased prices there as well. If you really want in at SSR, you may have to pay more than you want to. Another alternative is the vast amount of timeshares in the area. People are selling them for $1 on ebay. Granted the annual dues are $1000/year for a 2 bedroom duplex and you don't get ANY of the DVC perks and all that, PLUS you are married to a specific week each year.....that totally stinks!!!! Which is why I love my DVC.....it is so flexible, I can bank my points and I'm not beholden to a specific week every year.

So....IMHO, you either need to bite the bullet and submit an offer at asking price that is higher than what you are willing to spend (and I suggest you do the available research on this....not just on this board) or continue to search for SSR points for $85 and hope that you don't get ROFRd. It seems to be a crapshoot.

That being said, we purchased direct in 1997 and at three other resorts afterwards...then found the resale market. When we found what we wanted we always came in at asking price...got the contract...and never got ROFR'd. We just sold a small contract at a very high price and it was not rofr'd either. I really think price and available points is key....but then again, I probably don't have a clue. Just my own observations.

I don't know, Fidelity has 20 contracts listed (but many of them sale pending) for SSR right now. All of them are $85 or less - quite a few under $80. And plenty under $85 has passed in July. It seems like all prices are high right now, though.

Personally I would get on the "list" for every single DVC resale outlet...there are many. Contact them directly with what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay. I have found some that will be totally honest with you. And will contact you directly before something hits their website. They will tell you when your offer is low ball...and you have to be able to take that and go with it.

Did that with 3 places. Nobody's contacted me with anything. Maybe I've got to call daily? Maybe I need to find more options...

Did that with 3 places. Nobody's contacted me with anything. Maybe I've got to call daily? Maybe I need to find more options...

Personally, I would call each one and make contact with a salesperson. I know for a fact that they are very, very, very busy with resales. If you can make a connection with someone somewhere and let them know that you have the $$ and know what you want, you may have some success. The resale market is very, very hot right now. It is a seller's market. Which means not a whole lot of effort needs to be expended on the broker's end. I'm not saying that to be mean....it is just a fact of the market. I wish you good luck in your search.

Just an FYI. We just settled on July 1 for a 125 point Saratoga Springs contract with a February UY. It came with 125 points for 2017 and 125 for 2018. We had actually made our offer on 5/29. Went to ROFR on 5/31 and passed by 6/6. My only thought is that February must not be a popular use year. Oh, and we paid $85 per point.

I have an extended OKW April uy no 17 points full 18 and beyond, that just went to ROFR today. For what I’m paying for this if it gets taken it definitely isn’t for price.

Sorry your having such a hard time getting a contract!

One thing to remember is that DVC doesn't buy back every contract so one will go thru. Trying to figure out how or why will be tough and my advice is just keep trying and make your offers what you are comfortable with. My observation is that price really isn't that much of a factor. I doubt they look at who the buyers are either.

Just an FYI. We just settled on July 1 for a 125 point Saratoga Springs contract with a February UY. It came with 125 points for 2017 and 125 for 2018. We had actually made our offer on 5/29. Went to ROFR on 5/31 and passed by 6/6. My only thought is that February must not be a popular use year. Oh, and we paid $85 per point.

Excellent deal. Out of curiosity, were you already an owner? I'm wondering about Kathy's statement, whether or not they look at who the buyers are and if they've taken tours and all that. I picture the ROFR group having a database to work off of from the sales group, with interested parties on waiting lists for certain resorts. For a long time they were not ROFRing SSR.

To the OP.....I can't imagine how upsetting it is to have wasted so much time in limbo, waiting. I hope something works out for you soon. We recently purchased a larger BWV resale and my broker warned me that he would be surprised if Disney didn't take it. They didn't and I'm glad we bought when we did a few months ago.

Best of luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter