• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking an older friend and first-timer to WDW for girls' weekend: Riviera or VGF studio? (updated)

Which studio would you pick?

• Total voters
I always think it's a little bit of a mistake to go to Magic Kingdom early in trip with a first-time guest because you run the risk of other parks being a letdown. We recently did 3 nights at Riviera, sticking to Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Disney Springs. Then we moved to VGF and visited MK for the first time on the resort transfer day. Seemed to work out well, with or without the resort switch. You either love or hate having to re-pack everything.

the line from Epcot going on the Skyliner has been unbearable for me to see, and imagine waiting in it

No clue what you are talking about? You mean the line that is like shorter than your wait at the monorail station if you miss it?

This isn't COVID 1 family per cabin anymore. The lines move quickly and its realistically 1 time of the day it even occurs which is right after fireworks.

I wouldn't want to deal with the construction at GF and POLY Tower to be honest. The new GF room has 2 beds though right which might be a positive for you.

Have you stayed at either resort? Since it doesn´t sound like it, I would look at YouTube videos to get a feel for each of them. To me, when we stay there, it feels like VGF is more private and I like the outdoor spaciousness. Both are very nice.
Yes. As you can see from my signature, we own at both.
I wouldn't want to deal with the construction at GF and POLY Tower to be honest. The new GF room has 2 beds though right which might be a positive for you.
Yes, I’ve stayed on the Murphy beds before and I don’t think we really need two beds - the Murphy will be fine for either of us.

I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this, but:

Arrival night is also Epcot MM night, which I am going to try for. So my first thought was Riviera, because the Skyliner will be more convenient at the end of MM. But riding the monorail would also be pretty nostalgic. Or is all transportation at the end of MM going to be by bus anyway?

Add to that that most of the rides aren't going to be close to International Gateway and so I am stuck. Friend says, "I defer to your expertise." One resort costs a whopping 2 points more, so I'm treating them like they cost the same.

I am biased, love the GF, find the exterior of the Riviera to be meh, but I’ve spent time on the real Riviera & think that clouds my opinion of Disney’s grey monolith w/ astroturf landscaping.
Will this be a park heavy trip & if so, which parks? If MK & Epcot then GF would be my choice. If Epcot & DHS then I’d choose Riviera, or better yet, see if something was open at BC or BWV so you can walk/boat to both parks rather than hassle w/ a Skyliner hop via CBR to get to DHS.
If you plan on some park time w/ some eating & socializing, I think the monorail resorts offer more choices & of course the GF grounds are much larger & there are 3 restaurants on site + Gasparillas + the Enchanted Rose. I liked the resort studios at VGF, had no noise issues & loved their central location, but they are very much just a hotel room.
I believe the VGF refurb is pretty much done & the Poly construction next door wasn’t an issue for me in the original VGF building except the walk detour over to the Poly wasn’t as scenic or convenient as it usually is, but they’ve been working on the rest of the GF, rumor has it they’ve paused the work on the lobby & will resume to finish it after the holidays. I think all of the outbuildings are pretty much finished. If they’ll be working on the lobby in March though, then I’d seriously look at Riviera, or try for BWV/BC.

Last edited:
IMO I would do VGF. The monorail is the way to go and you can take it all the way to Epcot for your event & back. Riviera is a nice resort but givin the opportunity with we always pick Grand Floridian first of all the resorts.
just my 2 cents

No clue what you are talking about? You mean the line that is like shorter than your wait at the monorail station if you miss it?

This isn't COVID 1 family per cabin anymore. The lines move quickly and its realistically 1 time of the day it even occurs which is right after fireworks.

If they're like me they may have seen the line but not waited in it. When we were at BCV in August the line for the skyliner seemed insane at the end of the night. I have no idea how long the wait would have been though.

Arrival night is also Epcot MM night, which I am going to try for. So my first thought was Riviera, because the Skyliner will be more convenient at the end of MM. But riding the monorail would also be pretty nostalgic. Or is all transportation at the end of MM going to be by bus anyway?

Monorail does get classic Disney bonus points, but since you need to transfer to get from GF to Epcot, it takes awhile to get there. I would probably feel differently if you were staying at Poly and could walk to the TTC.

I love Riviera for adults trips where we’re going to spend time relaxing at the resort, especially if you’re focusing on Epcot. The quick food options are great (love Bar Riva) and the coffee is much better than other resorts.

But if you think your friends would like the more classic Disney experience, then that is a plus for being on the monorail/near MK.

If they're like me they may have seen the line but not waited in it. When we were at BCV in August the line for the skyliner seemed insane at the end of the night. I have no idea how long the wait would have been though.
Riviera is one of our home resorts so we've taken the Skyliner at the end of the night plenty of times. Last trip we were happy to walk past the line back to our room at BWV, but the line moves very quickly so long as the skyliner is running. We've zigzagged around for a bit and then we are on. Because it's almost a continuous load, the line keeps moving. The monorail line, OTOH, feels longer because you're standing still for longer (I think).
Monorail does get classic Disney bonus points, but since you need to transfer to get from GF to Epcot, it takes awhile to get there. I would probably feel differently if you were staying at Poly and could walk to the TTC.

I love Riviera for adults trips where we’re going to spend time relaxing at the resort, especially if you’re focusing on Epcot. The quick food options are great (love Bar Riva) and the coffee is much better than other resorts.

But if you think your friends would like the more classic Disney experience, then that is a plus for being on the monorail/near MK.
Friend just said she wants to also go to HS, so that sealed the deal. We're staying at Riviera!

Waiting for the monorail to me is part of the joy of anticipation of getting on another ride but ending up at a fun place, either your resort or a park, albeit much better at BLT if it is scorching because you are inside

It looks like you are also an owner at BLT. Is that an option?
I know it is not as grand as the others but if you can get a “theme park view” that can also be amazing if your friend likes the high rise modern feel And you get the fireworks show right from your room.
just a thought.

Waiting for the monorail to me is part of the joy of anticipation of getting on another ride but ending up at a fun place, either your resort or a park, albeit much better at BLT if it is scorching because you are inside

It looks like you are also an owner at BLT. Is that an option?
I know it is not as grand as the others but if you can get a “theme park view” that can also be amazing if your friend likes the high rise modern feel And you get the fireworks show right from your room.
just a thought.
I do own at BLT but the BLT studios are too small and neither of us wants to sleep in a sofa bed. I'm happy to give her the real bed and take either murphy in the studio. Plus the bathroom layout of the VGF or RIV studios - with 2 showers - is perfect for 2 adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter