Team Hakuna Matata - MAY Thread!

Okay, sorry I missed some important things and need to catch up! :guilty:

A Huge Welcome to our New Team Mates! :banana:
RoyalCinderella & Villains Rock
So glad you joined us.

What is this (?) :confused3 I was thinking you would not be able to walk for at least a couple of weeks yet, What did I miss, Sweet Erica? Erica Can't wait to hear you are cleared for walking.

Oh Connie, I so understand I am so eager for Hagen to be able to do a 5k with me! :cloud9:

I truly am a Fun Walker, I walk every step no jogging no running, and I am not even close to being in the category with our 'Real Race Walkers.' My goal is to be able to do a half in 3 hours. My pace for this 5k was a little faster than the 13:44 mpm due to the wacky start and I was happy with that. Thanks so much for your encouragement Panda & Scott...I do appreciate! :grouphug:

Okay, sorry I missed some important things and need to catch up! :guilty:

A Huge Welcome to our New Team Mates! :banana:
RoyalCinderella & Villains Rock
So glad you joined us.

What is this (?) :confused3 I was thinking you would not be able to walk for at least a couple of weeks yet, What did I miss, Sweet Erica? Erica Can't wait to hear you are cleared for walking.

Oh Connie, I so understand I am so eager for Hagen to be able to do a 5k with me! :cloud9:

I truly am a Fun Walker, I walk every step no jogging no running, and I am not even close to being in the category with our 'Real Race Walkers.' My goal is to be able to do a half in 3 hours. My pace for this 5k was a little faster than the 13:44 mpm due to the wacky start and I was happy with that. Thanks so much for your encouragement Panda & Scott...I do appreciate! :grouphug:

Hey there Margie. Yes dear you are a Real Race Walker, you are a walker and you do races, so there. Your times are getting better and better, I can only imagine how well you will be doing when you actually have time to train.

I've had a busy+ day. Good workout this morning, followed by an eye exam for Erica, then lunch. After I got home the yard needed mowing. So not much time for chatting with friends till now.

Hope everyone had a super day.

Walking Panda:hippie:

Hey there Margie. Yes dear you are a Real Race Walker, you are a walker and you do races, so there. Your times are getting better and better, I can only imagine how well you will be doing when you actually have time to train.

I've had a busy+ day. Good workout this morning, followed by an eye exam for Erica, then lunch. After I got home the yard needed mowing. So not much time for chatting with friends till now.

Hope everyone had a super day.

LOL...Okay you win, but I KNOW you know what I mean, Smarty :hippie: !

Also we need an update on Erica

Did get to the gym tonight - was finished before 10:PM :upsidedow

Thanks Connie!

Good morning, Team!!!

How is everyone!

Margie You mean.....you aren't a real racewalker??? How can that be when you are so darn fast???? I use the technique, but I don't have that kind of speed! I am working on it, though. I think you are not just a real racewalker, but a true athlete as well!!!

Erica Hope your tootsies get better quick. Glad to hear you are back in sandals and not the lovely clunky anti-fashion shoes!!

Lynn Yup, the Garmin is a pain alright. Even if you have it on auto pause, every time you move your arm it starts and stops. Plus, if the alarm is on, it can drive you bonkers (mine was on and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off at the time). My bodybugg works great though. I just download and check my steps. I actually am so very average that 2,000 steps is 1 mile!

Dave I heard a wonderful rumor!! It seems that a trail race is triple miles!!!! :yay: Okay, okay, I didn't actually hear that. I made it up. But I think it would be a great rule. ;)

Make a great day! Love, Connie

Dropped 1/2 a pound yesterday, got up and did a mile on the TM and then some weights. Rain and snow again this morning. Wasn't snowing at home but when I got to work it was snowing here.

Hey Dave are where do grits fit into a diet scheme????

Looks like travel for work, so will see what kinda miles I get in.

Connie what is the bodybugg?

Good Morning Team!

As Scott says, raining here, now the wind has picked up a bit. It is supposed to stop by 5pm, so I am putting my walk off until this evening.

Connie - I also have the Nike I-Pod thingie - but I have not yet successfully calibrated it. When comparing it to my garmin, it first had me doing 6 miles in a 5 mile walk, when I tried to calibrate it, it changed to 3 miles for a 5 mile walk (I was walking really fast for me when I was calibrating), so I will have to take it out again, and try to calibrate it on a normal walk to see if I can get it somewhat close to the garmin. Then I think that might be an option for Disney trips. I got it for cruising - walking laps around the ship. In the past, I have used the garmin just to count laps, but again, I have to remember to press the lap button at the same place on the lap, and then have to figure out the pace myself.

Margie - it sounds like you walk pretty fast to me! I have trouble keeping a walking only pace faster than a 16 minute mile, that is why I run intermittantly - just to keep my pace faster. I will admit that on some days my walking pace has been faster, but just when I begin to feel good about that, the next day I can't get above 17:confused3

Since the weather is so bad outside, I will do some weight training and pilates today, that way I will have some training time in even if I do not get outside for a walk later.

Have a great day team!

Scott a Bodybugg is a nifty, if pricey, device that measures your, well MY exact calorie burn. I have been frustrated for 2 years at not losing weight. I couldn't seem to get the ingrediets right, I would gain weight during training and gain more weight during rest! I would lose some of the weight as I began training again, but not much. So, I bought the Bodybugg. It is worn on the upper arm on the tricep. It actually measures calorie burn, and steps taken. You download the info into a computer program that gives you more information than you can imagine. And when you input the food you ate it will break everything down for you. It provides a pie chart that shows percentages of carbs, fats, and protein. It tells you how many calories you burned during all activities. It provides a bar graph to show how much movement you did and when. It provides nutrition advice and special menus to achieve your goals. It has exercise advice. It provides a bar graph to show how many calories you ate and how many you burned and then another to show the deficit or the increase. And that's just the beginning! There is a tracker for weight and measurements, etc. The bugg can be used to maintain current weight, increase weight, and lose weight. It has helped me so much. For example, for the first time ever, I trained for the OKC half marathon and lost weight. During the resting part I gained one pound. That's as good as losing 10, in my world!!! You can see a photo of it on the 24-hour fitness website.

Lynn I never got the nike thing. I knew I would have trouble calibrating the darn thing. I can't even calibrate a pedometer or for that matter even get one to work for long.

Hey Guys and Pretty Princesses.

Today is kind of a blurr. Good workout, dentist visit, lunch at the Red Lobster so I could get my fish fix. Then we had to go marketing and get a certain rod to fix the spare bedroom where the kitten destroyed the other one.

Now we are relaxing and enjoying a Sam Adams beer.

Hope everyone had a good day.

Erica is doing good but still isn't released for work yet since her little feet are still swelled and sore.

Off to bed now.

Sleepy Panda:hippie:

Thank you, Panda, Connie, and Lynn ... You Guys Made My Day! :grouphug:

No, I don't do the real 'Race Walking Technique.' I just walk using my arms. My first mile is always my toughest, until my breathing levels out.

I emotionally did not feel like walking tonight. Maybe I found that half-pound that Scott dropped :confused3 Being on our Team really helps me keep on moving. I did not want to let you guys down, so at 8:30PM I finally put on my shoes, got out the door, and did 3.3 miles. :rolleyes1

Well...I see my doctor tomorrow to get the green light on the running. Until then I've been walking and various other things to get my heartbeat up. I have gotten in about 10-30 minutes each day. The weather has been cold and damp here and it's not giving me the get-up-and-go that I need.

Connie - That bodybugg thing sounds great!! I know you said it was pricey, but do you mind telling how much and where you got it? I am a hypothyroid and have a very hard time shedding the lbs when I need to. I have a garmin, but as discussed it is not always great given the environment.

I've decided that this is an "off" week for me. I seem to have 3 good weeks and one "too tired" week. On top of that I worked 2 hours overtime last night so I'm really worthless to the task at hand. Went to bed at 10 last night watch TV till 11 could not fall asleep so I designed quilts in my head for an hour and the alarm woke me at 5am............It will take a lot of grease paint to make me look "normal" today.

Have a good one.

denise

P.S. Even though I don't post replies all the time, I do enjoy all your banter bank and forth - it keeps me sane.

OMG team I am so sorry I am so far behind again with posting.

Hope you are all training pain and injury free!!!!!!

Kim

Good morning TEAM!!

Another beautiful day in the neighborhood!! It was raining and the cats were outside. They didn't like it! :lmao:

Did I tell you guys that I saved about 50 lives from a fiery death a couple weeks ago?? I was in the not-so-local Farm store and I heard baby chicks or something just having a fit! It sounded like a cry for help, so I went to look at them. I found in the little Duck container that the heat lamp and dropped down and was resting on the sawdust they were using for bedding. They keep the little poultry in water troughs. Anyway, I noticed that there was also smoke coming up through the holes in the lamp. I picked up the lamp and sure enough, the sawdust was just minutes away from ignition. So, there you have it. I saved baby ducks. They didn't thank me. As a matter of fact, a store manager almost accused me of causing the problem....but stopped short when she realized that I was trying to save the babies!

Villains Rock I don't mind sharing the info of the cost of the Bodybugg. I got it on line from 24 Hour Fitness for $235. I also bought a wristwatch type thing ($99) that will sync with the Bugg and will provide an instant readout of calories burned and steps so that if I am away from a compute for a few days, I can still stay on top of everything!

wdw4us It's okay if you don't have a stellar week from time-to-time, all of us have an off period now and then! Just hang in and feel better!

Kim Welcome back! Hard to keep up, I know. Gllad to see you, even for a quick drive-by!

Everyone, have a productive day! -- Connie

Connie that is KEWL, Save the Ducks.

Hope all are healthy and doing good. On the road, did get a short run in this morn,

Hope all get good news from the various docs,

Enjoy the day.

Good morning guys and pretty princesses.

6 weeks ago I took my heart rate after walking a mile at 12 mpm pace, it was 153. I took it again today after walking a mile at a 12 mpm pace it was 144. I'm really happy about this because it means that I'm not working as hard to maintain that speed.

((((((((((((Denise))))))))))

Yay, Connie!!!!:yay:

I hope everyone has an awesome day. I'm off to get ready for work.

Good Morning Team!

Denise - I also have bad days and weeks, it is good to know that I am not alone!

Connie - congrats on saving the ducks!

Erica - some pixiedust: to get the swelling down so you can go back to work (that is, if you want to go back to work).

It is still cool here, sunny this morning, I got out for our walk early hoping to avoid the wind, but I didn't - it was blowing between 20-30mph (I can tell because it pulls out the dog leashes and it feels like I am flying kites). I did get in a pilates tape and weights yesterday (a day late). My goal is to increase the cross training, I might even get my bike out and ride once a week!

Have a great day everyone!

:upsidedow Just wanted to drop in and say hi to everyone :wave2: And a belated :welcome: for our newest team mates!

I had a training session with my PT Monday. I asked if we could work on weight loss for a while instead of running :blush: I'm hoping to run lighter for my next race. Anyway, wow ... the weight loss exercises are a lot different than the rehab exercises. I'm still sore today but I guess that's a good thing :upsidedow

Connie - Yay! For saving the ducks! That's really cool :) I think I have to resumbit my hours to you. I didn't read over the whole thread yesterday and I didn't notice that the weeks were being broken up differently. Sorry about that :headache:

Anyway, I gotta run! Hope everyone is having a great day :goodvibes

Li'l bunnyfoo-foo, not to worry. You broke it down by date, so I just put it all in the right places. If you just skip the dates you already gave me, it's all good, because I entered all the right stuff in all the right places! All I have to do is add what's left for this week! Did that make any sense????

I worked out for the first time today since the Minnie and I plan on getting back on the treadmill next week after I get a few more workouts in.

I was pleased that I still managed to lift pretty heavy considering it's been quite a while since I have lifted weights.

Hi, everyone!

As usual, I'm way behind in posting......but I am here, working away! :)

I did another 5k race on Mother's Day and had a PB at 4.1 mph! :woohoo: The rest of the story, though, is that I had been at the back of the small group of people in this race at the start. Up ahead of me a little way was a woman, walking pretty quickly. I was walking at about the same pace, so thought I'd walk a little faster to catch up to her and then maybe we could walk together. It seemed, though, every time I'd get near, she'd speed way up, walking like a race walker....Finally, just over half-way through the race, I caught up to her (which she was not happy about). I explained I was only trying to catch up so we could walk together. That seemed to appease her somewhat. The funny part is that I was killing myself, trying to catch up with a woman who turned out to be 69 years old! :lmao: I told Connie I was wavering between being embarassed to have to work so hard to keep up with a woman of that age and feeling encouraged, knowing that I could walk fast for a long time! :rotfl2: At any rate, she sure made me work hard for that little ribbon! LOL!

I hope all the dr appts go (or have already gone) well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter