Tell me about River Run in Keystone

neverlandclub

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
OK, our trip is planned for April of 2006. We got a River Run 3Br condo. So jazzed. This will be during our 15th wedding anniversary.
So what is not to be missed in Keystone or nearby. We will have a rental car.
What would be a great place to do our anniversary dinner? We will have a group of about 10, which includes children(ages nearly 3 to 13). We were thinking of going to Breckenridge or Vail.
Just need to find affordable airfare now.
TIA

neverlandclub said:
OK, our trip is planned for April of 2006. We got a River Run 3Br condo. So jazzed. This will be during our 15th wedding anniversary.
So what is not to be missed in Keystone or nearby. We will have a rental car.
First of all, the Keystone Resort itself is a beautiful place. I would also go into Breck. I believe you can take public busses if the conditions are such that you don't want to drive. Breck bills itself as a "real town," and it is. Wonderful, wonderful place -- with all kinds of dining and things to do.
What would be a great place to do our anniversary dinner? We will have a group of about 10, which includes children(ages nearly 3 to 13). We were thinking of going to Breckenridge or Vail.
I'll let you know up front that I don't like Vail -- when I see guys wearing mink caps and ankle-length mink coats, I'm reminded of the maxim, "Go to Aspen to see; go to Vail to be seen!"

Having said that, there are some wonderful restaurants in both towns. I'll let someone else give you recommendations, because it's been several years since I was there.
Just need to find affordable airfare now.
Keystone is in Summit County, which is between Vail and Denver. It's closer to Vail/Eagle than to Denver Intl, but you can fly into either place. You'll have better flight selection, and probably better fares, into DEN.

Good luck, and have a great trip.

When in April are you coming? If it is early April you should still be able to get some good skiing in.

There are so many wonderful restaurant in the Summit County area or over the pass into Vail.

JimMIA is right about airfare, Frontier usually has good fares from BWI into Denver. Frontier does that route nonstop and they have Direct TV on the plane which helps pass the time. It is not a bad drive right out I70 to Keystone.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

I'm not really sure how close this is to where you will be but when we went to Beaver Creek we went to a place close to Vail called ? Country Club like maybe some little town name and then the words "country club". I'll have to ask my son. It wasn't really a country club- just a restaurant. Anyway it was a place where you pick your meat and everyone cooks there own steak on a big grill. It was kind of fun and different. Maybe someone knows the name?

babylisa4 said:
I'm not really sure how close this is to where you will be but when we went to Beaver Creek we went to a place close to Vail called ? Country Club like maybe some little town name and then the words "country club". I'll have to ask my son. It wasn't really a country club- just a restaurant. Anyway it was a place where you pick your meat and everyone cooks there own steak on a big grill. It was kind of fun and different. Maybe someone knows the name?

I'm not sure of this one, but there is a restaurant just like this closer to Keystone. It is in Dillon or Silverthorne (which is right outside of Keystone, matter of minutes). The name of the restaurant is called "The Mint". It is got Colorado written all over it. Like the above poster, it is a place where you order your own meat and cook it yourself. While waiting for your meat to cook you can make your own garlic bread. It is a great place with a fantastic atmosphere. Obviously, the 3 year old won't be cooking his/her own meat, but it would be a lot of fun for the 13 yr old(s). I'm sure most people at Keystone will know of the place, if not I believe it was in the phone book.

Anyway, best of luck and I would be anxious to hear how the 3 bdr is in River Run, b/c we are hoping to stay in a 3 bdr in River Run next Dec.

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds awesome. I visited the site for Summit County Chamber of Commerce. Tons of restaurants there, how will I choose? I saw a Top of the World in Breckenridge that looked nice and there is a Ski Tip Inn, I think, in Keystone. They seem very special and romantic, even with the kids. I guess I am looking for a dining "experience", you know. Somewhere that lets you take your time (my kids are into that fortunately). We are total foodies so we enjoy trying new things. I am also looking for either a view, ambience or hopefully, both.
We are going to be there April 9-14, so DH and son really hope they can ski.

Stayed at River Run 3BR last summer-right near the chair lift and had a view of the mountain. It was great. Nice little downtown with Starbucks and neat shops just a short walk. Breckenridge was really a neat town and Vail was pretty cool also. The room was very nice-1 bed in each room though just so you know.

momsully said:
When in April are you coming? If it is early April you should still be able to get some good skiing in.

There are so many wonderful restaurant in the Summit County area or over the pass into Vail.

JimMIA is right about airfare, Frontier usually has good fares from BWI into Denver. Frontier does that route nonstop and they have Direct TV on the plane which helps pass the time. It is not a bad drive right out I70 to Keystone.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
Summit County is somewhat higher than Vail (1000 feet higher), so they have good snow later in the year than most of Colorado. I know one year, they were skiing in A-Basin on July 4th!

is Minturn Country Club. We have also flown into Vail/Eagle and it was a nice airport. I think its mostly just for American Airlines- not sure.

JimMIA said:
Summit County is somewhat higher than Vail (1000 feet higher), so they have good snow later in the year than most of Colorado. I know one year, they were skiing in A-Basin on July 4th!

Actually, it's a tradition that A-Basin stays open until July 4th. The upper lifts service runs that are on a permanent snowfield that never melts completly. The trade-off is that A-Basin is HIGH--over 11,000 feet at the summit, as I recall. Keystone is lower, as are Breckenridge, Copper, and Vail. The big edge that Keystone has is that they have invested more than the other resorts in snowmaking equipement, after the very dry & warm winters we had in the late '70s and early '80s. They have the most consistent conditions of anyone.

Have a great trip! Keystone is one of our favorite places--it's always fun to site in the outdoor hot tub and watch the skiiers at night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter