Tell me something random about Disneyland

i have an app on my phone called "disneyland secrets gold" it has many random facts about disneyland such as... trash cans are never more than 27 paces about (walt observed that if its more than 27 spaces apart that the trash would end up on the ground) and the bench that he sat on as he thought about disneyland and now that park bench sits inside great moments with mr. lincoln in town square. and that there is a drugstore on main street in the market house, hidden in the cabinet has some minor medications and it goes on and on and on!

Walt Disney's favorite food was baked beans in a can. His favorite restaurants in the park were the Plaza Gardens for Dinner and the River Belle for breakfast.

I just looked this up recently because it was bothering me for the longest time. The guy who narrates the safety shpeal for Soarin', his voice sounded so familiar that I was sure I had heard it before. It turns out, I was right: his name is Patrick Warburton, and he's the voice of Kronk from Emperor's New Groove, as well as Joe Swanson from Family Guy and Brock Samson from Venture Bros. (among a crapload of other things).

Patrick Warburton is probably best known as Puddy from Seinfeld. His voice is so distinctive. When my son first popped in his then new Skylanders video game I heard the voice and knew immediately who was narrating. Then when we were in line for Soarin' we heard the voice and as my brother said "Puddy" my son says "Skylanders".

everytime you asked were you allowed to steer the boat? or is it only certain times?

The boat is on a track, the steering wheel is just for show. You can spin it all you want, but the boat will stay straight. :rotfl:
EDIT: I realized that you might mean that every time someone's asked to go up to the captain's quarters, have they gotten it. Once my DGF and I asked but a party has asked beforehand so we were denied. I'm pretty sure they always let the first party who asks go up, but hardly anyone ever asks. I've never heard of anyone being turned away from it for any other reason, but I could be wrong.

The two times I've done this, I got the ticket, but the one time I had my parents do it while I went to ride Splash, they didn't get them. I can post a picture of it later, if anyone wants.

Patrick Warburton is probably best known as Puddy from Seinfeld. His voice is so distinctive. When my son first popped in his then new Skylanders video game I heard the voice and knew immediately who was narrating. Then when we were in line for Soarin' we heard the voice and as my brother said "Puddy" my son says "Skylanders".

I never did watch Seinfeld (nor have I ever played any of the Skylanders games), but neat stuff!

ManusDei said:
EDIT: I realized that you might mean that every time someone's asked to go up to the captain's quarters, have they gotten it. Once my DGF and I asked but a party has asked beforehand so we were denied. I'm pretty sure they always let the first party who asks go up, but hardly anyone ever asks. I've never heard of anyone being turned away from it for any other reason, but I could be wrong.

Haha yeah I meant getting denied :) I'm gonna ask in December I'm sure my DS would love it!

I got to pilot the Mark Twain last time I was there. They let me sign the log book and gave me a Pilot License Certificate. I had it framed when I got home :)

My DH, DD, and I were able to stir it on our last day of our trip in 2011. We got to sign the log book and we also framed the certificate that we got. The CM pilot was great. We got some DL history and found out that her family also works at DL. We had a great time.

The Indy ride is built where the Eeyore parking lot used to be. In the projection room, there is an Eeyore parking lot sign way up in the corner. If you ask a CM they are supposed to be able to shine a light on it.

The boat is on a track, the steering wheel is just for show. You can spin it all you want, but the boat will stay straight. :rotfl:

The two times I've done this, I got the ticket, but the one time I had my parents do it while I went to ride Splash, they didn't get them. I can post a picture of it later, if anyone wants.

I don't think it's on a track, when my son steered it he had to be corrected by the pilot. They wont let it get too far off course.

As to when you can pilot, we got to go up late (10pm), so I believe it's available anytime the Twain is running. It is on a first come basis, we've been told no before, but only because someone else asked first.

Oh, and the pilots are awesome, letting you know little bits of trivia as you go. Like why they blow the whistle when they do, and what they mean. They even blow the whistle to warn the rafts to TSI when the rafts aren't running.

Another random fact:

The animals on the Riverboat on Splash Mountain were originally part of America Sings, which was where Innovations is today.

Also, 2 geese from America Sings were not moved to Splash Mountain, but were turned into Droids in the Star Tours queue.

I don't think it's on a track, when my son steered it he had to be corrected by the pilot. They wont let it get too far off course.

As to when you can pilot, we got to go up late (10pm), so I believe it's available anytime the Twain is running. It is on a first come basis, we've been told no before, but only because someone else asked first.

Oh, and the pilots are awesome, letting you know little bits of trivia as you go. Like why they blow the whistle when they do, and what they mean. They even blow the whistle to warn the rafts to TSI when the rafts aren't running.

Hmm, the pilot CM for us told us it was just for show. Heck, she didn't touch the wheel at all during that ride. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I'm almost positive it's on a track. The CM also pointed out the closet where they keep the fake steering wheel that black & white Mickey uses to steer the Mark Twain during Fantasmic; the closet is in the room below the captain's quarters, next to the ladder that you climb to get up to the wheel. He stands outside and in front of the captain's quarters, holding the wheel and dancing with it, though again it does nothing (and I don't believe there's any CM inside steering).

EDIT: Confirmed the boat is on an I-beam rail guide, via Wikipedia. Still, the pilot does have to relay info about other river traffic to the boiler engineer, who does actually control speed and direction.

Since you mentioned Star Tours, I'd like to add that the Star Tours 1.0 pilot is in the queue as well, off to the right of the line just before you come up on the first former-geese robot. He's next to the other random R2 units down there. You can hear his malfunctioning voice (though he doesn't move at all).

I also believe R2-D2 and C-3PO were also actual originally movie props that got repurposed into the working audio animatronics (though this fact I'm not entirely sure of, it could be just an urban myth).

The Tomorrowland Boats attraction was only open for eights days, giving way to the Phantom Boats -- didn't last long either -- before the site became the lagoon for the Submarine Voyage.

If you have to be evacuated from a ride, you just might get a "no strings attached" voucher for priority entrance into any ride or attraction. Happened to us last week! :thumbsup2

Even to Matterhorn and Radiator Springs Racers?

Most times when I have received those passes, the CM hand wrote on there "no good for xxxxx" (whatever the newest ride is). Ex. the last one I got was right after Star Tours re-opened so it stated it was not good for Star Tours.

• The Matterhorn has two lines. One is for faster rides and one is for slower rides.
• "It's A Small World" was not originally opened at Disneyland. It first was opened in New York at the New York World Fair.

Love Disneyland's History :thumbsup2

The Indian head penny replica high atop the Penny Arcade facade is dated 1901, the year Walt Disney was born.

markinmt said:
The Tomorrowland Boats attraction was only open for eights days, giving way to the Phantom Boats -- didn't last long either -- before the site became the lagoon for the Submarine Voyage.

What happened in those eight days?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter