Ten Tips to save Disney

I hereby nominate Rick Aristotle Munarriz as a true 'outside director' for the hopefully soon re-organized Disney Board!

Even though I don't share some DISers DISgust with The Big ME I care less about whether The Big ME has read the '10 Tips' articles than whether the Disney Board has read them. It's time for The Big ME to move aside for the kind of management that would have written this article as a memo for their senior staff six months ago.

This article is the sort of stuff that you want to hear from a company that is having some troubles - solid ideas to try out and use to hopefully work their way out of the trouble they're having - instead of minging about 'the economy', or other 'outside forces' beyond their control.

Good job Mr. Munarriz.

Rick Munarriz at the Motley Fool has a pair of columns that should be manditory reading for Michael Eisner, detailing his thoughts about what the company needs to do in order to turn itself around. Here are the links to Part 1 and Part 2. Summerized, they are:

1) Spend the $3Billion to buy Pixar & get John Lassiter to turn around the animation division.

2) Spend the money needed to restore the Parks to their former glory (with or without Pressler)

3) Pay better attention to the Music Division. Disney's let a number of acts that started there sign with other labels - Why?

4) Repair Nightline, without the shenagins involved in the Letterman courtship.

5) Add to the Stateside parks before expanding or building new ones overseas. Stop cutting hours and amenities & attendance will rebound.

6) Use the good stuff at ABC to bring in more good stuff and attract viewers. Don't just lump them all together a la Monday Night Football.

7) Expand programming on the Disney Channel to be a little more hip for those beyond pre-school.

8) Stop firing people that disagree with Eisner.

9) Listen to stockholders and fans, they're your market & should be a resource.

10) Fix it or get out.

Sarangel

As I said on the other thread talking about this list of suggestions I think Mr. Munarriz should be made a member of the Disney Board at the very least...

Wow.

This is exactly what we have been debating about for weeks --some of us for years ;)

I'm going back to WDW for Mardi Gras 2003. I know some have talked about boycotts and what not, but I like going to the parks too much to boycott. ;)

But that doesn't mean that I have any confidence that WDW and the rest of the company will be at the same level of excellence as it was in 1994.

However, I believe that this company CAN get back on track. I've read the list three times. Prett tough to argue about any of these suggestions...

Oh yeah, I forgot.

Please tell me it is not true that ABC passed on CSI! My wife and I love CSI, and can't wait for CSI-Miami.

As I said on the other thread talking about this list of suggestions I think Mr. Munarriz should be made a member of the Disney Board at the very least...
Sorry, Bruce... I looked for another thread about this & didn't see it. I'll go look for it & merge the two so as to reduce our bandwidth.

Sarangel

Sorry Sarangel, didn't mean to come across as the DIScussion Police...

In any case - Mr. Munarriz has some excellent ideas!

‘CSI’ and ‘CSI:Miami’ are both produced by Jerry Bruckheimer (the biggest producer that will work with Disney) and is distributed through Disney’s Touchstone Television division. Same with ‘Scrubs’, the only hit sitcom from last year and the show that NBC is grooming to be the replacement for ‘Friends’.

Should tell you something when Michael Eisner is the one who gives the final say-so on which shows go on ABC and which don’t.

Here's the rest of the article...

By Rick Aristotle Munarriz (TMF Edible)
August 12, 2002

This is the continuation of an open letter to Disney's (NYSE: DIS) chairman and CEO, Michael Eisner, from a kid at heart. See last Friday's column for Rick's first five ways to save Disney.

6. ABC us
You know what was a bigger shame than plastering Who Wants To Be A Millionaire on ABC four nights a week? Failing to cash in by wrapping the airings with other shows worth watching. CBS used Survivor to grow its audience for CSI. NBC treats Thursday nights like a sit-com farm club. You're taking chances by swiping most of the old shows off the fall schedule, and that's good. But you're taking your one primetime hit -- Monday Night Football -- and airing two established shows before it.

Your mid-season replacements sound more promising than some of your fall debuts. You're turning to HBO and USA for content deals, when it seems like it was just last year that you were so ripe with untapped in-house potential that you gave CSI and Scrubs up to stronger networks.

Act like you matter in the network space, not like you're placing fourth in key demographics. Bring back Battle of the Network Stars, and only invite CBS and NBC like the good ole days. Hire the folks who came up with the clever challenges on The Mole 2, but give them a bankable premise for a reality show this time. And when you finally do land a hit, milk it -- but milk it right. Let it bleed over seamlessly into the rest of your programming.

7. In the Nick of time
Why are you splitting up Disney Channel into as many slices as possible, when, in whole, it's still a poor child's Nickelodeon? I know you regret not acquiring Nick, and it's probably too late to wrestle it away from Viacom (NYSE: VIA), but shouldn't you be learning from Viacom's playbook, the way ABC can learn lots by watching how NBC plays the game?

Life would be so much easier for you if more rode on Sponge Bob or any of the Klasky-Csupo animated franchises than on Winnie the Pooh. While your preschool programming is fine, you need more than Even Stevens to attract the potty-trained.

Bring back the Mickey Mouse Club. Introduce a little edge to your original content. Play off the nostalgia with updated Davy Crocket and Spin and Marty shows. Help introduce the public to Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park by filming an edgy animal show there. Bring a "Slime Time Live" challenge-themed show to Disney's California Adventure. Shake those assets.

8. Say yes to no men
Executives who don't always agree with you leave and sometimes move on to great things. You're too chummy with the board of directors, creating a useless group that lacks the necessary dissension to challenge your leadership. Maybe you're too seasoned to respect an opposing, unproven view, but how can you not be insulted by a perpetual chorus of headnodders?

Disney is not in a financial position to take big chances, but don't deny your shareholders the fact that small chances need to be taken at this point. Bad decisions, not a bad economy, put Disney where it is today. Competing networks, park operators, and studios have taken steps forward, while Disney has taken them backward. Why weren't you challenged every step of the way down? How did this happen? Look around you. They're all smiling at you right now, aren't they?

9. Listen to Alice
Remember at this year's annual meeting, when a Disney Store cast member got up during the Q&A to praise your efforts after 9/11? You simply referred to her as Alice, recognizing that she was one of the few shareholders in attendance not looking to skewer you. We know Alice a little better at the Disney discussion board. We know her as someone who works part-time at the store, not because she has to, but, well, because she wants to.

Alice isn't the only shareholder sharing her thoughts, concerns, and suggestions. Our board is far more varied than yours. While I would like to think that you have far greater matters to tend to than browsing through Disney newsgroups and online discussion boards, you would find some of the exchanges out there as refreshing and ultimately more rewarding than dealing with the real-life queue of Eisner fans looking to FastPass their way to the attraction that culminates in the patting of your back. Listen to Alice. She cares. She's everywhere.

10. Leave a legacy
While I find the Leave a Legacy sculptures at Epcot to be a bit of an eyesore, I can relate to folks who want to leave a lasting impression. I didn't see your digital tile there, but I'm sure you feel the same way on a much grander scale.

This is your legacy. While folks will always remember how you brought the company back from the brink of fiscal obliteration nearly two decades ago, will they be forced to add an asterisk to your tenure?

He was great, BUT...

He saved us at first, BUT...

I know you don't want it to end that way. But I also know you can't go out on top without recognizing the reasons why you're at the bottom right now. "It all started with a mouse and ended with a rat," isn't something you want to see on a company tombstone.

So we're back at Beast's castle, and it looks like the door isn't going to hold out much longer. They're coming for you, and they've got proxies and tempers at the ready for next year's annual meeting. You have to make them love you to save yourself. That involves retracing some steps, which can be an awfully humbling process.

You think you can handle it? You think you can find your way back to greatness, realizing it involves admitting you got lost along the way? You think you can win the hearts of your investors, even if it admits saying you were sorry?

Be our guest.

I admit, that "rat" line got a smile out of me too!

Listen to Alice. She cares. She's everywhere

This line, I think, embodies the spirit of these boards. If only they'd see what we all thought, maybe, just maybe, they'd get back on track. That isn't egotistical, is it?

10 Tips to Save Disney: Part 2

By Rick Aristotle Munarriz (TMF Edible)
August 12, 2002

This is the continuation of an open letter to Disney's (NYSE: DIS) chairman and CEO, Michael Eisner, from a kid at heart. See last Friday's column for Rick's first five ways to save Disney.

6. ABC us
You know what was a bigger shame than plastering Who Wants To Be A Millionaire on ABC four nights a week? Failing to cash in by wrapping the airings with other shows worth watching. CBS used Survivor to grow its audience for CSI. NBC treats Thursday nights like a sit-com farm club. You're taking chances by swiping most of the old shows off the fall schedule , and that's good. But you're taking your one primetime hit -- Monday Night Football -- and airing two established shows before it.

Your mid-season replacements sound more promising than some of your fall debuts. You're turning to HBO and USA for content deals, when it seems like it was just last year that you were so ripe with untapped in-house potential that you gave CSI and Scrubs up to stronger networks.

Act like you matter in the network space, not like you're placing fourth in key demographics. Bring back Battle of the Network Stars, and only invite CBS and NBC like the good ole days. Hire the folks who came up with the clever challenges on The Mole 2 , but give them a bankable premise for a reality show this time. And when you finally do land a hit, milk it -- but milk it right. Let it bleed over seamlessly into the rest of your programming.

7. In the Nick of time
Why are you splitting up Disney Channel into as many slices as possible, when, in whole, it's still a poor child's Nickelodeon? I know you regret not acquiring Nick, and it's probably too late to wrestle it away from Viacom (NYSE: VIA), but shouldn't you be learning from Viacom's playbook, the way ABC can learn lots by watching how NBC plays the game?

Life would be so much easier for you if more rode on Sponge Bob or any of the Klasky-Csupo animated franchises than on Winnie the Pooh. While your preschool programming is fine, you need more than Even Stevens to attract the potty-trained.

Bring back the Mickey Mouse Club. Introduce a little edge to your original content. Play off the nostalgia with updated Davy Crocket and Spin and Marty shows. Help introduce the public to Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park by filming an edgy animal show there. Bring a "Slime Time Live" challenge-themed show to Disney's California Adventure. Shake those assets.

8. Say yes to no men
Executives who don't always agree with you leave and sometimes move on to great things. You're too chummy with the board of directors, creating a useless group that lacks the necessary dissension to challenge your leadership. Maybe you're too seasoned to respect an opposing, unproven view, but how can you not be insulted by a perpetual chorus of headnodders?

Disney is not in a financial position to take big chances, but don't deny your shareholders the fact that small chances need to be taken at this point. Bad decisions, not a bad economy, put Disney where it is today. Competing networks, park operators, and studios have taken steps forward, while Disney has taken them backward. Why weren't you challenged every step of the way down? How did this happen? Look around you. They're all smiling at you right now, aren't they?

9. Listen to Alice
Remember at this year's annual meeting, when a Disney Store cast member got up during the Q&A to praise your efforts after 9/11? You simply referred to her as Alice, recognizing that she was one of the few shareholders in attendance not looking to skewer you. We know Alice a little better at the Disney discussion board. We know her as someone who works part-time at the store, not because she has to, but, well, because she wants to.

Alice isn't the only shareholder sharing her thoughts, concerns, and suggestions. Our board is far more varied than yours. While I would like to think that you have far greater matters to tend to than browsing through Disney newsgroups and online discussion boards, you would find some of the exchanges out there as refreshing and ultimately more rewarding than dealing with the real-life queue of Eisner fans looking to FastPass their way to the attraction that culminates in the patting of your back. Listen to Alice. She cares. She's everywhere.

10. Leave a legacy
While I find the Leave a Legacy sculptures at Epcot to be a bit of an eyesore, I can relate to folks who want to leave a lasting impression. I didn't see your digital tile there, but I'm sure you feel the same way on a much grander scale.

This is your legacy. While folks will always remember how you brought the company back from the brink of fiscal obliteration nearly two decades ago, will they be forced to add an asterisk to your tenure?

He was great, BUT...

He saved us at first, BUT...

I know you don't want it to end that way. But I also know you can't go out on top without recognizing the reasons why you're at the bottom right now. "It all started with a mouse and ended with a rat," isn't something you want to see on a company tombstone.

So we're back at Beast's castle, and it looks like the door isn't going to hold out much longer. They're coming for you, and they've got proxies and tempers at the ready for next year's annual meeting. You have to make them love you to save yourself. That involves retracing some steps, which can be an awfully humbling process.

You think you can handle it? You think you can find your way back to greatness, realizing it involves admitting you got lost along the way? You think you can win the hearts of your investors, even if it admits saying you were sorry?

Be our guest.

Oops. Sorry. Just saw this was alredy posted and I don't have access to delete this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter