Thanksgiving at DVC Resort

nlenguyen

PharmDis95
With Thanksgiving coming up I would like to see how DVC members have thanksgiving in their DVC resort room. My family and I are in the initial stages of doing a possible late 2024 reservation and with us having to follow school schedule, Thanksgiving week is off. This would be a new concept to have thanksgiving not at home and was wondering what members do. We would likely get a 1-2 bedroom depending if other family traveled with us. Are the ovens big enough for a turkey? I have never used the oven before. Home resorts are AKV or SSR so likely would just stay at one of them. Out of the two, I lean towards AKV because they should have the holiday decorations up. Thoughts?

We are celebrating Thanksgiving at the Grand Cal this week. I have no idea how it’s going to go, but we’ll report back. We are planning on brining a bunch of items including crockpots with us to help with the prep. We did a crockpot heavy meal a year or two ago with great success. Took a lot of stress out of the prep and made it easy to keep everything hot and fresh.

We've done several Thanksgivings in WDW. Most were spent eating out, often non-traditional Thanksgiving foods, but at least twice, we brought a turkey breast, some sort of refrigerated mashed potatoes, and a few other canned things. So, it wasn't as grand as our typical Thanksgiving meals at home, but DH got his turkey fix. Even on regular trips, we make good use of the 1 and 2 bedroom full kitchens.
We were just reminiscing about other Thanksgivings spent in Orlando...Cracker Barrel one time (LOOOONG wait,) pizza in Lego land. Earl of Sandwich holiday sandwiches, Le Chefs de France, etc. I LOVE traveling to Orlando at Thanksgiving! The weather is SO much better, the holiday decorations are usually up everywhere, and often we can catch the tail end or start of a festival. We are also dependent on the school schedule. It is super, crazy busy though. And now our APs are blocked out at both Universal and WDW, so not sure when we'll be back then.
Happy holiday planning!

Well, although we've had the last 17 Thanksgivings at our DVC resort (soon to be #18), it's Hilton Head, so I'm sure that's not what you meant. But the year before we started our HHI tradition, we went to OKW and ate Thanksgiving Dinner at Artist Point (this was way before it was a character meal). However, the offering at Beach Club Marketplace looks very interesting. Since it's a vacation, I'm not interested in all the prep and cooking. However, I'd much rather stay in my DVC "home" than eat out.

Well, although we've had the last 17 Thanksgivings at our DVC resort (soon to be #18), it's Hilton Head, so I'm sure that's not what you meant. But the year before we started our HHI tradition, we went to OKW and ate Thanksgiving Dinner at Artist Point (this was way before it was a character meal). However, the offering at Beach Club Marketplace looks very interesting. Since it's a vacation, I'm not interested in all the prep and cooking. However, I'd much rather stay in my DVC "home" than eat out.
How is Thanksgiving at DHHIR? I’m thinking of trying it next year…I own there and live in S.C. so we’d be driving and bringing all our food with us…do you need to walk the ressie (2Br) or is 8am at 11 months going to be fine? Thanks

How is Thanksgiving at DHHIR? I’m thinking of trying it next year…I own there and live in S.C. so we’d be driving and bringing all our food with us…do you need to walk the ressie (2Br) or is 8am at 11 months going to be fine? Thanks
This is our 18th consecutive Thanksgiving here-does that tell you how wonderful it is? Eighteen years ago, we decided to try it out-just once-since everyone had reasons why they couldn't come home for Thanksgiving. Shortly thereafter we bought a contract here. At 11 months (or even 10, if all the holiday rush makes me forgetful), we always get our 1 BR for Thanksgiving week. And at 7 months we can add a few days on either side of that week, so our full stay is close to 2 weeks.

We are heading to Disney tomorrow and spending Thanksgiving Day at the resort. We are staying in the Treehouse Villas and will have extended family with us. I'm picking up Cracker Barrel to reheat and then cooking a few things. It will be the first time actually "cooking" dinner at the resort. In the past, we have been in the Magic Kingdom for Thanksgiving Day and ate at Liberty Tree Tavern. I'll let you know how it goes.

This is our 18th consecutive Thanksgiving here-does that tell you how wonderful it is? Eighteen years ago, we decided to try it out-just once-since everyone had reasons why they couldn't come home for Thanksgiving. Shortly thereafter we bought a contract here. At 11 months (or even 10, if all the holiday rush makes me forgetful), we always get our 1 BR for Thanksgiving week. And at 7 months we can add a few days on either side of that week, so our full stay is close to 2 weeks.
You mention everyone coming home, does everyone is in a 1br or do some people stay off-property?

You mention everyone coming home, does everyone is in a 1br or do some people stay off-property?
Sorry, it was kind of confusing. No one from our family comes to HHI. One son is married, spends Christmas with us, and Thanksgiving with her family; other son is in busy season-plays in orchestra for Radio City Rockettes, we won't see him until January; there's just the two of us at DHHIR, but yes, we get a 1 Bedroom. Find the full kitchen and washer/dryer almost a necessity for 11 days.

We had a 2 bedroom at Kidani this Thanksgiving and thought about making dinner in the room. We ended up going to Biergarten. They did have turkey and dressing at least

How are the crowds at the beginning of Thanksgiving week? I am particularly interested in the Saturday to Wednesday before the holiday. We usually go the couple weeks before Thanksgiving but considering going the actual holiday week in 2024.

In recent family discussions, we are now not planning on Thanksgiving anymore, Maybe a couple days before New years to Marathon weekend or memorial weekend. From what is sounded like, there were crowds. Maybe the family will change their mind, but I want to see the holiday decorations more than anything.

How are the crowds at the beginning of Thanksgiving week? I am particularly interested in the Saturday to Wednesday before the holiday. We usually go the couple weeks before Thanksgiving but considering going the actual holiday week in 2024.
We went the week before this year. We usually go the week after. It was much quieter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter