Thanksgiving Foods You Dislike

turkey dark meat
Jellied canned cranberry sauce
mincemeat pie (luckily no on in the family likes it)
most corn casseroles
Jello salads
pearl onions

Number one on the list of Thanksgiving crimes against humanity.
Tofurkey. IF you want to go vegetarian, just make a good vegetarian dish and be done. Don't make this garbage.

Here's something that should make your family want to drink bleach.
Creamed pearl onions. DIE TRADITION DIE!!!! Just don't. Nobody likes these any more. I doubt anyone ever did.

Here's one to put up on the wall of shame.
Giblet gravy or giblets in the stuffing.
Gordon Ramsey once said, a good chef should know how to cook organ meats. I beg to differ. A good chef should know BETTER than to cook organ meats. Take the pouch, throw it away. The neck you can boil down if you'd like. But throw that pouch away. Better yet, just have some stock handy when you make your gravy. Oh and oysters in the stuffing goes here too as does wild rice stuffing. Don't make either of these either. Who in the heck thought oysters in stuffing sounded good?

Make this one and you'd be wise to sleep with one eye open.
Any savory jello mold. Just don't. In fact, better to skip the jello entirely. That tomato aspic you're thinking of? No. Oh and skip anything made with cool whip too. Especially Ambrosia salad.

If you have horses and rope nearby, this one might get you drawn and quartered.
Squash. Don't puree it. Don't put it in a casserole. Just ditch the squash. Ok you can make squash spice bread if you wish. Other than that, no squash.

Here's one that might get you on worst cooks in America.
Steamed vegetables. Mailing it in oh bland one? At least you'll get to be on one episode before Ann sends you home.

Yet another dish that if served will bring the nice men with nice white coats over.
Green been casserole made with condensed soup, canned green beens and fried onions.
Come on. This is so easy to make with fresh ingredients it is laughable. It's not hard. By the way, save one packet of soy sauce from the take out Chinese food you had earlier in the week to put in.

Here's one that will make your kids want to eat at their love interests houses.
Corn pudding. I'll have some of the yellow. And don't be skimpy neither.

Another one that should get you put into a rubber room.
Canned whole berry cranberry sauce. Oh God Either just get the jellied glop or make it yourself. This is the worst of all worlds.

Here's one that will get you removed from the family crest tapestry.
Failure to run your gravy through a sieve or failure to separate the fat out. Nobody in their right mind wants chunks of anything in their gravy. They want flavor, not chunks. It's so dang easy to do and you can get decent sieves and fat separators for under $10 total.

Last edited:
Brussels Sprouts, creamed veggies of any kind, sweet potato casserole, turnips, chestnuts, pecan pie, mincemeat pie, whole berry cranberry sauce or cran/orange sauce, jello salads, stuffing with oysters (or sausage, sage or hard boiled eggs!).

I love turkey, but I can easily pass on most of the "traditional" side dishes. I intensely dislike most mushy foods, and the Traditional Thanksgiving Menu serves up a whole horde of them. When I cook there are no casseroles; all of the green veggies I serve are steamed fresh.

(FWIW, not many people seem to like the dark meat turkey eaten straight up when it is freshly cooked, but it gets eaten in the soups and tetrazzini that are made with the leftovers.)

Oh, and ...
Failure to run your gravy through a sieve or failure to separate the fat out. Nobody in their right mind wants chunks of anything in their gravy. They want flavor, not chunks. It's so dang easy to do and you can get decent sieves and fat separators for under $10 total.

Well, I do separate out the fat, but I put the "chunks" in on purpose; AFTER I've treated it with a stick blender to remove any flour lumps. (Sieves are old-school; a stick blender is MUCH more efficient and a lot less trouble to clean.) I carefully cook and micro-mince the gizzard and neck meat to be added to both the stuffing and the gravy..

I do make sausage/oyster stuffing, but most people don't realize there are oysters in it unless they ask, because I pan-fry and then puree them (there's that stick blender again) before adding them to the crumbs, so that I get the flavor of them, but not the unpleasant texture. FWIW, my "secret recipe" stuffing is very popular, so much so that I have to make a lot of it. I cook some in the bird and some in a baking dish. (Also fwiw, all stuffing ingredients that will go into the bird are fully pre-cooked, and I do not use any egg products in the recipe.) I've also made a vegetarian version of the recipe that uses oyster mushrooms, but no matter what I do, that one always comes out a bit dry.

Last edited:
I like it all except no turkey for me being vegetarian (I still like it, just will not eat it any longer). The main dish for the vegetarians this year will be a quinoa chickpea cranberry stuffed squash.

Cranberries are bitter nasty little things to me. They taste like medicine. I tried doing homemade sauce and it was better than canned but in my opinion cherries did a better job.

Creamed vegetables: Ew. Just give me my veggies straight or with cheese.

Canned yams: Fresh roasted sweet potato is delicious. I don't know what these even are.

Canned yams: Fresh roasted sweet potato is delicious. I don't know what these even are.
Yams and sweet potatoes are different things.

Real yams are entirely different root vegetables that are more like yucca in texture and flavor. They have bumpy, tough brown skin (that looks almost tree trunk-like) with starchy, not sweet flesh. Yams are more easily compared to the texture and flavor of white russet potatoes (with more fiber and complex carbs) and are best boiled and served alongside hearty braised meats. The neutrally-flavored yams are often used in Caribbean or West African cooking, and are difficult to find in the U.S.; sometimes you can pick them up at specialty grocery stores.

The reason for the name mix-up is because Louisiana sweet potato growers marketed their orange-fleshed sweet potatoes as “yams” to distinguish from other states' produce in the 1930s—and it stuck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter