Thanksgiving Foods You Dislike

I strongly dislike every form of Brussel sprouts, yam, and sweet potato. I thought I hated turkey until my DH started making it. It just turns out that my dad's turkey was awful. Until I read the thread I didn't even realize that some people ate turnips at Thanksgiving dinner. I don't believe that turnips belong anywhere other than in the ground as nature intended. As for cranberry relish, I liked the canned stuff I grew up with until I perfected my homemade cranberry relish. Now I think it's gross.

My weight problem is proof there is nothing I don't like at Thanksgiving. My list of all foods without regard to holiday that I don't like boil down to kale and black licorice.

We've never had green bean casserole at Thanksgiving, and I sure don't recall ever having it ever, but it sound delicious, but cream of mushroom soup is my favorite soup.
We make our cranberry sauce from scratch......wow, big deal. Boil water, mix in sugar, mix in fresh cranberries, simmer for 10 minutes. But we have a regular guest who prefers the canned jellied cranberries because the whole cranberries get stuck in her dentures. , so we always have that.

Pumpkin pie
Mashed Potatoes unless they are really smooth. Dislike the lumps of potato in mashed potatoes.

Everything mentioned in this thread is super nasty. Many things I've never even heard of and made me cringe.

Easier to list what Thanksgiving food I will eat:
*white meat turkey
*white rolls - no potato rolls, sourdough or anything weird - and only with butter, I never eat margarine
*my own, personally made, deviled eggs (nobody else's as I don't do runny or relish)

Yams and sweet potatoes are different things.

Real yams are entirely different root vegetables that are more like yucca in texture and flavor. They have bumpy, tough brown skin (that looks almost tree trunk-like) with starchy, not sweet flesh. Yams are more easily compared to the texture and flavor of white russet potatoes (with more fiber and complex carbs) and are best boiled and served alongside hearty braised meats. The neutrally-flavored yams are often used in Caribbean or West African cooking, and are difficult to find in the U.S.; sometimes you can pick them up at specialty grocery stores.

The reason for the name mix-up is because Louisiana sweet potato growers marketed their orange-fleshed sweet potatoes as “yams” to distinguish from other states' produce in the 1930s—and it stuck.

Thanks. We learned about this in high school biology. We were studying botany around Thanksgiving time and the teacher was adamant that we learn the difference.

They are two from entirely different unrelated families of plants.

^^^^
Thanks! Now I wonder if I’ve ever had a real yam 🍠?

Unlikely, unless you pick them up at an ethnic market. Most standard supermarkets don't sell real yams.

Sweet potatoes can be marketed in the US as "yams" as a descriptive term, but it must also say "sweet potato" as the legal definition. I'm sure some supermarkets ignore this regulation, but canned brands follow it.

I HATE pumpkin pie. I’m also not a huge fan of apple pie, especially the canned filling garbage, but I love Dutch apple pie

^^^^
Not even Acme or Shop Rite, Angie?

Do you mean are real yams sold there? It's possible, but I've never specifically noticed. My local Shop Rite does sell some unusual produce. I'll have to check next time I'm there.

Do you mean are real yams sold there? It's possible, but I've never specifically noticed. My local Shop Rite does sell some unusual produce. I'll have to check next time I'm there.

I was just teasing but we have some Latin bodegas in Pleasantville and Atlantic City where they carry all kinds of ethnic produce. I bet they have yams there.

For me it's Pecan Pie.

Then while I sorta get green bean casserole, it prefer steamed green beans, especially for Thanksgiving dinner. Strangely enough, I am more tolerant of green bean casserole on Christmas.

I like it all. Thanksgiving is awesome!

*When I say "all", I'm referring to the traditional Thanksgiving foods, not any of that off-the-wall stuff your Granny or Aunt Marge has to make every year that I've never had or heard of.

Green bean casserole made with canned beans. Fresh or frozen beans make all the difference.

Another vote against pumpkin pie. If you're gonna splurge on calories with dessert, might as well go with something you enjoy!

Anything that I cannot immediately identify as food. If it has to be covered/smothered/disguised with canned condensed soup, fake whipped topping, aerosol whipped cream, or shaped in a blindly optimistic jello mold, or requires Tums/Pepto Bismol/Maalox in order to pass as edible, no thank you. I prefer my Thanksgiving food to be clearly, easily identified on sight, by smell, and by taste. Simple is perfectly fine, as long as everything is fresh and not from a can or mix. Sadly, we have/had relatives who can't or couldn't cook to save their lives the other 364 days of the year (and professed to hate being in the kitchen), but for some unknown reason, felt the need to show off their culinary "prowess" on Thanksgiving Day. After the first so-called celebration/punishment, we started going out of town for the holiday and having our own small feast on a different day.

Last edited:
Anything that I cannot immediately identify as food. If it has to be covered/smothered/disguised with canned condensed soup, fake whipped topping, aerosol whipped cream, or shaped in a blindly optimistic jello mold, or requires Tums/Pepto Bismol/Maalox in order to pass as edible, no thank you. I prefer my Thanksgiving food to be clearly, easily identified on sight, by smell, and by taste. Simple is perfectly fine, as long as everything is fresh and not from a can or mix. Sadly, we have/had relatives who can't or couldn't cook to save their lives the other 364 days of the year (and professed to hate being in the kitchen), but for some unknown reason, felt the need to show off their culinary "prowess" on Thanksgiving Day. After the first so-called celebration/punishment, we started going out of town for the holiday and having our own small feast on a different day.
I still use canned Green Giant vacuum packed corn to make corn dishes since it tastes incredibly fresh and ears of corn are already out of season. Other than that I'm pretty much done with canned veggies until the Zombie Apocalypse comes; beats raw tortoise.
My mother was renowned for her inability to cook and so hosting skipped her Swanson TV dinner, canned veggie generation self. We left her to embroidering table linens (she was excellent at needlework!) and polishing the silver, LOL.

I still use canned Green Giant vacuum packed corn to make corn dishes since it tastes incredibly fresh and ears of corn are already out of season...
If you ever get the chance to try it, Trader Joe's has a frozen sweet corn (just the kernels) that is terrific!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter