That skinny girl can eat! A dining review for Marseeya's June WDW trip.

Marseeya

<font color=blue>Drama Magnet<br><font color=deepp
Page 1, Post 1: 'Ohana
Page 1, Post 11: Mama Melrose Fantasmic Dinner Package
Page 2, Post 20: Boma
Page 2, Post 24: 1900 Park Fare -- Cinderella's Gala Feast
Page 2, Post 27: The Mara
Page 3, Post 32: Tangierine Cafe
Page 3, Post 36: California Grill

June 3-June 12, 2006

Marcia: 39
Dennis: 35
Rhiannon: 10
"Sunshine" 9 (DD's friend)

June 3, 2006
'Ohana

Having already eaten at 'Ohana on our 2005 trip, DH, DD and I knew what to expect with the skewered meat. We weren't too sure, however, about DD's friend Sunshine, as her mother had warned me that she was a bit of a picky eater. Well, my family of chubbies just isn't used to that, so I wasn't sure what to expect. We figured on eating at the TS restaurants, and if Sunshine wasn't satisfied with the dinners, we'd find other ways to fill her up.

Our dinner was timed right smack dab in the middle of Gay Days. Now, normally I'm not a bit worried about the environment because we're a very liberal family. But with an extra child on board whose family is much more conservative, I found myself wondering the dreaded question, "How will I answer her questions?" We decided on the most simplistic route of "Well, sometimes boys just like boys, and girls just like girls," and just let her parents deal with the rest.

We arrived for our 5:30 ADR at 5:00, hoping to beat the rush. When we arrived at the Poly, the lobby outside 'Ohana was a chaotic madhouse of people! The girls and I found seats while DH waded his way through the crowd towards the podium. As I scanned the crowd (admittedly looking for lime green Mickey Heads), :blush: I noticed a group of people wearing bold purple shirts with bright red hats. Oh great, I thought, a meeting of the red hat society. Granny central. Um. No. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the grannies were actually men. What a hoot! The men were all dressed up in purple outfits and ostentatious red hats. They were all so cute. I watched the girls, waiting to see their reactions, but I needn't have worried, because they either didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, or they just took it all in stride.

Within just a minute or two of Dennis signing us in, we were called to our table. I walked in, expecting the same chaos inside as out, but the whole restaurant was only about a quarter full, as you can see from this picture:

ohana.jpg

We started getting served right away, and I ordered an 'Ohana Colada, which was delicious. Our server started us off with the mixed greens. The girls wouldn't touch them, but Dennis and I liked them just fine. I was a bit disappointed in the new starters and the lack of shrimp skewers. The girls attacked the fried wontons, but I wasn't blown away by them. Sunshine ate ALL of the honey-coriander chicken wings and thought they were great, while the rest of us picked at the sweet & sour shrimp. I wasn't too fond of having to peel and eat sticky gooey shrimp, so I only ate one.

On to the skewers. While both girls loved having the waiter come to the table and slide the meat off the skewers, neither one of them wanted any of the offerings. The steak was fairly tough, but the Asian BBQ pork loin was delicious, as was the turkey and Hawaiian pork sausages.

The skewers were served with Maui scalloped potatoes and stir fried veggies. Nobody really cared for the potatoes, and frankly, I didn't find them any different than the boxed, dehydrated Ore Ida potatoes you find in the grocery store. The stir fried veggies were good, but a little too soggy for my liking.

Then came the dessert -- bread pudding with bananas foster sauce. That itself was worth the entire meal. The bread pudding was soft on the inside and just a bit crisp on the outside, and the bananas foster was delicious. Everybody but Sunshine enjoyed that dessert, but even she picked at the ice cream.

Overall, we'll probably cross 'Ohana off our list for our next trip. None of us were blown away by this meal, and the girls are getting just a tiny bit too old for the coconut races and hula dancing. Sunshine wasn't interested, and Rhiannon was pushed to the side and ignored in favor of the younger, "cuter" kids.

More reviews to come later.

Oh boy..Im not crazy about peeling sticky shrimp either..Well I will still give it ago Im so disspointed about the grilled shrimp but looking forward to the bread pudding..
Oh let me ask you was it wonton chips or filled wontons??

Too bad you didn't enjoy it. I love everything BUT the skewered meats. The meat is too filling and I love all the other offerings better than the big chunks of meat. Idon't mind getting my hands sticky from the chicken and shrimp....so good!

Great review, can't wait for the rest of your report.

Thanks for the review. We actually loved that shrimp in the sauce. For me, the sauce made up for the peeling. We had 3 helpings when we were there in March! :blush:

Looking forward to more reviews.

Beth :)

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the review! I really liked the taste of the shrimp, and ate several of them, but I admit they were very messy to peel. I would have eaten a lot more if they had been peeled. Maybe that's why they do it!

June 4, 2006
Mama Melrose

After spending the earlier part of the day at Animal Kingdom, we were tired, but excited to go to MGM to have the Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose. I was fortunate enough to secure a 6:00 p.m. ADR for this dinner, but we were so hungry after our long day of park touring and swimming that we decided to get to MGM early to try to get an earlier seating. We arrived at the entrance to MGM just as thousands upon thousands of people were lined up for the Stars & Motorcars parade. Yikes! We hoofed it down the boulevard, trying to beat the parade. Mama Melrose is towards the back of the park near Star Tours and Muppet Vision 3D, so we had quite a walk ahead of us. Somehow we managed to battle our way through the crowds and get to the restaurant before the parade started.

The hostess was more than happy to take us early, and we had about a 5 minute wait before we were seated. The restaurant wasn't overly crowded, and the atmosphere was cool with dark wood and a comfortable decor, as you can see from this picture:

mamamelrose.jpg

One thing that was really working well with us so far with the girls was the child's credits and adult's credits on the dining plan. Rhiannon, being 10 was considered an adult, while Sunshine at 9 was considered a child. Typically, though, Rhiannon ordered off the child's menu while Sunshine wanted an adult menu. Nobody had a problem with that, and in the cases where both girls wanted a child's meal, the server recommended we pay out of pocket for them to save their credits for a signature meal. We actually did that twice for our upcoming California Grill meal. I'll get into that later, but Rhiannon and I ended up missing a meal while she was sick, so we had a few extra credits saved up.

On to the meal! We started out with the field green salad, which had a balsamic vinaigrette and crumpled gorgonzola cheese. Unsurprisingly, neither girl touched the salad, but Dennis and I liked it a lot, with the exception of the cheese for me. I'm just not ready for stinky cheese! (stolen from an episode of Yes, Dear).

For the starter, we got the grilled pepperoni pizza. The pepperoni tasted smokey and very good, and was cut rather thick. The pizza was great -- a bit too spicy for the girls, but Dennis and I liked it a lot, especially with the onions and peppers.

For entrees, the girls got spaghetti -- Rhiannon got buttered spaghetti (yipee), and Sunshine got hers with a red sauce. This is where we discovered Sunshine's love of spaghetti. Let me tell you, Sunshine weighs about 85 pounds soaking wet, and she's just a skinny little thing, but we found out that night that SHE CAN EAT! She ate her entire plate of spaghetti and practically licked the plate clean.

Dennis got the spicy Italian sausage, and he said it just wasn't flavorful enough for him, but I tried it and thought it was fine. He and I just don't quite agree on what's spicy.

I got the penne alla vodka, and I thought it was fantastic. The pasta could have stood to have more sauce, but I ate almost the whole dish! The pancetta and onion were sliced really small, but they added a good bit of flavor to the dish. This is something I'd love to try to make at home, but only for a special treat -- it's made with real cream. Mmmmmm.

For dessert, the girls got vanilla gelato and Dennis and I got the tiramisu. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't get the tiramisu again. The mascarpone cheese was light and fluffy -- very delicious, but the lady fingers were too dry. Very nice presentation, though:

tiramisu.jpg

I wish I would have taken pictures of all the food, but I honestly didn't give it much thought this year!

Overall, we really enjoyed this restaurant and will try to make an effort to go back next year, although without being on the Fantasmic package. Frankly, we thought Fantasmic wasn't all that it was hyped up to be, but that's for my trip report.

Thanks for reading!

Love the Melrose review... have been wanting to hear/see more about it and yours was exactly what I was hoping for....

Keep em coming... loving your reviews

Thanks for the reviews. Looking forward to more. Incidentally, Rhiannon is a lovely name (my youngest daughter is a Rhiannon :) )

Thanks for the review of Mama Melrose on the Fantasmic package. We have an ADR for that one in the fall and I'm glad to see a good review.

Nice reports--

I have a question: when you were at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic package, did you get the option of any desserts besides tiramisu or ice cream? We've got this package booked on July 11, but neither DH nor I likes tiramisu. Thanks!

Tam1067 said:
Nice reports--

I have a question: when you were at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic package, did you get the option of any desserts besides tiramisu or ice cream? We've got this package booked on July 11, but neither DH nor I likes tiramisu. Thanks!

Here's the menu on allearsnet:

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_mmfan.htm

I wish I would have tried something else, but I normally love tiramisu. :)

great reviews. I'm thinking of crossing 'Ohana off my must do list this fall. I ate there last fall and I wasn't as impressed with it. I agree with you about the potatos being nothing special.

Monday, June 5
Boma

Monday didn't start off too well. We had ADRs to take the girls to Crystal Palace for breakfast, but Rhiannon got sick with a migraine and she and I had to stay behind in the room. So, all I can tell you about Crystal Palace is that Dennis said it was a good breakfast buffet, but he wasn't much more forthcoming than that. He enjoyed it and wants to do it again. 'Nuff said.

Now for Boma.

I loves me some Boma. :love: Mmmmm, Bomalicious! We loved Boma so much last year that we cancelled an ADR just so we could eat there twice in one trip, so I did the same thing this year, knowing how much we loved that place.

For the past three days, we'd been smelling the wonderful scents of the fire oven, so we were more than ready with our mouths a-watering on Monday evening. Our ADR was for 5:40, but as usual, we showed up a bit early, more than ready to wait our turn. The waiting area was packed (hey, people know good food!), but we only waited maybe 10 minutes before getting seated. As the hostess walked us to our table, every time we passed an empty table near the front where the buffet area was, I'd think to myself, Okay, stop now! This seat is great! Just stop now! but our waitress took us on back to window seats. Hmph. Anywhere else, and that would have been a prime seat, but take us to Boma, and we'd be more than happy to belly up to the buffet table! Mmmmm, Boma.

Anyway, sorry. Did I mention how much I love Boma?

We got seated and our lovely waitress asked us if we'd ever been there before, and I was practically panting, going yeah yeah yeah, just get our drinks and GO so we can get to the foooooood! I don't even remember what I got to drink -- just something to wet the whistle. Then we were off!

The buffet is separated into several different areas called pods -- the meats w/ potatoes (with Afritude!), then veggies, then kids' foods, then a cold pod with salads, desserts, a pod with rice and cous cous, then soups... OMG, the soups! :cloud9: The soups alone are worth the entire trip to that restaurant, but I'll get to that in a minute.

There was a very long line to the meat (or rotisserie) pod, so the four of us stood together waiting, not sure of the protocol -- whether we had to wait in that long line to get to another pod, or whether you could just go right up to the pod and form a new line there. According to a server, the latter is the correct procedure, but since we were already in that line, we just waited for the meat. That night, they had crusted prime rib, lamb bobotie, and a banana leaf wrapped salmon. I had the bobotie and prime rib (which you must get with the Boma/African mustard because it's to die for), then I got the cous-cous Marrakesh, and some potatoes with Afritude. I don't know what's so Afritudinal about them, but it's fun to say, and they are pretty yummy.

I was very disappointed to find that I'd gone on a day when they didn't have the carrot-ginger soup in rotation. My dear, dear Dennis knew how much I loved that soup, so the day before he'd called down to find out which day they'd be serving it, so we could rearrange our ADRs for us to go later in the week. I'd get that soup come hell or high water, but that comes later. The soups they had that night included potato bacon, mulligatawny (sp?), seafood gumbo, and some kind of corn chowder. I just had the seafood gumbo, and it was delicious, chock full of seafood and a good amount of spice to it.

Rhiannon just ate a plate full of fruit and mac & cheese (although she says that Boma makes the best mac & cheese in the whole wide world, so that must be saying something). Sunshine, though, that girl blew my mind! On her first plate, she just picked at a couple of things, but then she discovered that they had pasta and sauce. So, she went up and got herself a plateful of pasta and sauce. By plateful, I mean it covered the entire bottom of the plate without being heaped up. Then she got another. Then another. Then another. FOUR PLATES of pasta! She said that she actually wanted another one and I told her I'd faint if she did, and wouldn't you know, that skinny kid ate FIVE whole plates of pasta that night at Boma. :faint: She was ear to ear spaghetti sauce, and had it dripped all over her shirt. I couldn't believe how much she could put away, and I told her that her mother was going to kill me when we brought her back because she'll have put on 10 pounds. She was highly amused.

By the time it was time for dessert, I was stuffed, but had to roll myself to the bar anyway to get at least one zebra dome. Those cute little fluffy buttons of goodness. I also ended up bringing back some little tarts -- they had blueberry and passion fruit meringue. I might have also managed to down some banana bread pudding with all that too. :rolleyes1 When Sunshine discovered the blueberry tarts, she came back with a plate of those and continued with her night of gluttony. After we were all finished, she piped up, "When are we coming back?" :rotfl2: We've got ourselves a convert!

Do I need to tell you at this point that we'll be back? Do I have to remind you that I love Boma??? :love:

Sorry, no pictures. I was too busy eating! :laughing:

Next, I'll do a mini report of Mara. Not my favorite place, but it grew on me during this past trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter