The adventures of Tiggerdad (A collection of camping locations, mishaps, reviews, alterations, food, and whatever else I can find)

I been putting off any projects that are not imminent till the speculators stop pumping up the price.

I been putting off any projects that are not imminent till the speculators stop pumping up the price.

Yep, I was already supposed to of built pole barn for camper. Put it on hold. Was supposed to expand my back porch to connect to pool deck. Also put on hold.

Yep, I was already supposed to of built pole barn for camper. Put it on hold. Was supposed to expand my back porch to connect to pool deck. Also put on hold.

Sounds like Pole barn will be cheaper if you go steel building now?

Sounds like Pole barn will be cheaper if you go steel building now?
Actually yes, but I prefer 6x6 wood post and easier to add lean to later on wood frame over metal. I could cut my own trees and have them lumbered locally and save good bit also. Planning on 30x48 thus the desire for 6x6 post with steel tube trusses.

Again, not camping related but an adventure still.

Folks, I've reached that dreaded point in my life that a lot of you already know. I've very seriously dreaded it for the last 15 years. Oldest DD turns 16 in August, and that means she will have a license to drive! :scared:

I've been doing as much teaching as I can.
tenor-9.gif

Our plan has been all along to let her drive DWs 2011 4 Runner because it has been very dependable and I feel it safer than letting her drive the 2007 Accord I recently bought. (The Accord keeps me from driving the F250 except when the towing is needed)

So this'll be her ride (pending any bad decisions that may lead me to reclaim keys).
20210501_083326.jpg

That means I got 3 paid for vehicles!
giphy.gif

DW and I have used a system since we got married when it comes to vehicles. We don't pay for two at a time. In other words, one of us gets newer vehicle every 5-6 years. So we average 10-12 years per vehicle. My F250 was our last new purchase, and with DD taking the DWs 4 Runner, this meant dreaded auto shopping.

Right now it's tough. There is very little inventory to look at. We started off looking for new, but quickly changed to used. We had several she was interested in and one was a Nissan Murano. Surprisingly we found one, though not color she wanted, it is a Platinum (all bells and whistles) with low miles of 10,000. I offered 6,00 less than asking price. Carfax showed a vehicle repair 2 months after original purchase. Left front bumper. Paint not good match. I had BIL, who runs his own body shop look at it. Seems damage was very minor as very few components looked to of been moved or replaced and no hood removal. I offered $6,000 less knowing I'll have to pay him to fix it and match it up. They debated it quite a while but he is a good guy, dealt with him before. Eventually they agreed to the terms as well as agreement to tint front windows and DW has a new to us 2019 Nissan Murano.
20210501_081855.jpg

20210501_081905.jpg

They dipping into my camping money...

Back when we were looking for a car for two dogs we checked out the murano. I liked it until I got in the back on all fours and said nope too small for our dogs :rotfl2:the car dealer could not believe it and bert laughed pretty hard at me in the back pretending to be Mallory.

Yeah, rear storage is half what our 4Runner is, but we found that the extra storage area in 4Runner was rarely used to capacity and 3rd row seating ended up being wasted money.

You on all 4s at a car dealership... :rotfl2:

Nice pick on the Murano. That should do you real well.

DW is talking about replacing her Explorer. It is coming up on 100,000 miles. It still runs great. It could use some front struts and needs a tune up. New anything is obscenely priced and like Michael said, inventory is hard to come by. 2-3 year old Explorers are still really pricey. The used vehicle market is as hot as the RV market right now. I'm trying to get her to consider something a little smaller, but I also want something I can flat tow behind the coach. I suspect by the end of the year she will have another Explorer. She is on her 3rd one. There was a brief 10 year gap when she had her BMW, but she loves the Explorer.

j

As a father who along with DW had 3 driving kids in the family (plus a popup camper), I have walked in your shoes.

Now you have daughters which are statistically better drivers than sons but that will be little comfort.

Our driveway looked like a fleet operations garage for several years-5 vehicles and a camper.

It got kinda ugly when the youngest had to drive to high school in the old red mom minivan while her older brothers were off at college. She would commute to school as early each morning as she could and park as far away as she could. But the 4Runner is a nice looking ride for DD#1.

Ed

PS - my insurance agent is an SEC referee (white hat) but a Bama grad so he can only do the spring games. He always acted glad to see me when I would stop by his office and I think it's because my insurance premiums were putting his kids through college. You'll end up being on a first-name basis with your insurance agent even more than you are now.

PPS - now with the kids gone my monthly premium is only 30% of what it was when all five young drivers were on our policy.

Since we’re on this topic... we traded 2012 Honda Pilot for this last weekend...

C749CEA7-183F-42D3-BD23-B1D9013E6FA0.jpeg

So between my new to me 2018 Silverado in Dec 2019 and her new Toyota Highlander, we are good for another decade as well.

It’s funny, because of all the safety stuff now, insurance premium went down a bunch.

Last edited:
Since we’re on this topic... we traded 2012 Honda Pilot for this last weekend...

View attachment 571922

So between my new to me 2018 Silverado in Dec 2019 and her new Toyota Highlander, we are good for another decade as well.

It’s funny, because of all the safety stuff now, insurance premium went down a bunch.

We drove Highlander, and Toyota has been good to us over years. We couldn't locate a Highlander with her wants. Neighbor has one and loves it.

@tiggerdad I like that goal of only one car note. I don't know if my truck will get paid off in time, but on the plus side my plan and goal to pay off all the wedding debt by next winter is on schedule and that will free up our budget. I hope I don't need something before then.

How does the wife like the Murano? I found it kind of small.

I think we will end up with another highlander or its equal.

@tiggerdad I like that goal of only one car note. I don't know if my truck will get paid off in time, but on the plus side my plan and goal to pay off all the wedding debt by next winter is on schedule and that will free up our budget. I hope I don't need something before then.

How does the wife like the Murano? I found it kind of small.

I think we will end up with another highlander or its equal.
It feels, from front seat perspective, more like a car. Rear seat more like suv. We are getting to point where more room is not as needed, but we still have 4Runner, so option still there.

DW loves it. Rides great.

We did test drive a fully loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was VERY impressed with how it handled. Definitely better than I thought, but good Lord. 💵

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter