The Boat may have sailed, but I continue to let Member Services know....

We typically go for 9-12 days, hopefully if they do make changes they still let us call in to add days as needed beyond the week. Maybe without being able to subtract any days from the reservation?

I agree. DVC used to have a minimum purchase of 160 points. I would think that the most likely target point for a rewards/VIP program start at anything more than twice that. 320 points or higher. That seems to me to be the perfect inflection point to encourage the purchase of more points from more members without being too far out of reach.

I doubt they extend the booking window for that, though.

Most likely we're talking about perks like extra fast passes for members and guest when a member is booked into the room. Small gift baskets on arrival. Some small concierge-like extras. Maybe a special viewing area for MK fireworks. Things that could be set up and run cheaply but provide a real incentive to buy more points. And those are things that can be tiered. 2 extra FPs for more than 640 points; 3 for more than 1000, etc, more concierge-like benefits for higher points.

Shoot, if you get to 640, throw in a portable beer fridge and food warmer that can be rolled into the room and plugged in, providing free beer/soda and finger food snacks, right in your room. Thank you for being a superuser; enjoy the beer and hot pretzels!

I've said this before, if you could get an extra FP per night for you and all your guests if you owned 320 qualifying points or more, and you already owned 160, then that's something worth running the numbers on. Mix in a little addonitis, and voila, you just bought another 160 points.

Same situation, but this time, you need to only buy 840 more points to get that extra FP? No amount of addonitis is going to bridge that gap.

Regarding the part in bold: buying another 160 points at $185 a point is $29600.00. Very expensive fast passes!!

Regarding the part in bold: buying another 160 points at $185 a point is $29600.00. Very expensive fast passes!!
But not nearly as expensive as the $148K for 840 more points.

If you have 160 and you are already in the market fur more points, adding that extra 160 direct instead of resale isn’t as much of a stretch - especially if it gave you tiered benefits of which extra FPs were just a part.

It wouldn’t be worth it by itself, but combined with a bit of addonitis, it could nudge towards a direct purchase.

I don’t see 1,000 point VIP program doing that.

Well, you would also get double the points you have. So 30k for an extra fastpass, plus 3 extra nights in the parks, plus a 1BR accommodation instead of a studio. It's the sort of thing that would potentially entice me if I find that I love DVC.

I get it, however if someone buying a small contract that's the risk they take. If the inventory low there will always be someone disappointed, it doesn't matter if the rules change for booking.
The difference in this situation is they are in violation of the spirit of the POS and they are reserving rooms they have no plans to use. It will likely be true that those with more points will always have some advantage in some situations over those who do not, that part is true.

We typically go for 9-12 days, hopefully if they do make changes they still let us call in to add days as needed beyond the week. Maybe without being able to subtract any days from the reservation?
The easy fix is to expand the reservation window to 14 days but there will always be someone who wants to stay 15. They can always be linked. You just make it where you can't change a given reservation, just cancel or keep it. BTW, this is how you have to do with every other situation with DVC whether it be a view type, villa size or different resort. This is simply a loophole they haven't closed.

The difference in this situation is they are in violation of the spirit of the POS and they are reserving rooms they have no plans to use. It will likely be true that those with more points will always have some advantage in some situations over those who do not, that part is true.

Once a walker cancels, the rooms are put back into the system or given to someone on the waitlist.

Once a walker cancels, the rooms are put back into the system or given to someone on the waitlist.
Yes, and all rooms that are canceled later for whatever reason are as well. However, the person who is booking at the first opportunity 11 months out isn't the one who's going to get those rooms necessary. And given the walking, even if they do, they may not be able to get their other days at that time. I get this is only one variable, it's just an unreasonable and inappropriate one IMO.

I’ve only been a Bwv owner for 12 years and have always found getting a standard studio at Bwv extremely hard to get from oct to dec. I’ve always had one minute to get that first day.....by 8:01am the first night is gone, but it’s been like this for years. It’s getting harder each year....this is the same for BW view studios too. But what makes it even harder is their system crashing during the process or when you log in which makes the whole process stressful. I booked for September next year and giving up October trips. I do need to book a room prior to my November cruise, and dread the whole process. Same for the after cruise stay too.

I found out this morning that time of year makes a huge difference. I cancelled my BWV reservation for June 29 to July 4 and booked Poly, no problem. For the heck of it before I signed off, I checked BWV and those dates were still available for all 3 views (studios)!

I found out this morning that time of year makes a huge difference. I cancelled my BWV reservation for June 29 to July 4 and booked Poly, no problem. For the heck of it before I signed off, I checked BWV and those dates were still available for all 3 views (studios)!

I agree, after I booked my September standard studio, it was still available a week later. I even booked a standard studio at Bwv in February at the 7 month window with no problem. It’s just that oct to dec window, and probably holidays too.

So for hard to get reservations in October, would many people just start jumping in and walking in September? My child's Fall break usually runs for about three days in early October, say the 7th-10th, or 8th-11th, is that time frame very popular with DVC? I'm thinking that other schools in the country might have a Fall break during that time frame as well.

So for hard to get reservations in October, would many people just start jumping in and walking in September? My child's Fall break usually runs for about three days in early October, say the 7th-10th, or 8th-11th, is that time frame very popular with DVC? I'm thinking that other schools in the country might have a Fall break during that time frame as well.
Only BWV standard studios “need” to be walked in October. You’re buying OKW, so you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.

I admit that I "need" BWV standard studios for now, but that won't always be the case. I honestly look forward to booking P/G view in the future with standard view being a nice surprise. I'm not into all this stress first thing in the morning and the thought of calling MS every couple of days just gives me anxiety. lol

I am trying to find a transfer ASAP to give me a little "play" for my 1st 2 trips. After those, I will either no longer be needing 2 rooms (therefore my points will get me p/g view) or I will buy more points. I've been checking the rent/trade board, but it's looking like it could take awhile.

Only BWV standard studios “need” to be walked in October. You’re buying OKW, so you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.
Oh, I don't plan on walking any reservation, but I do want to play the field with my OKW points! But realize the month of October is probably not the most hopeful chances of that. But you never know.

Oh, I don't plan on walking any reservation, but I do want to play the field with my OKW points! But realize the month of October is probably not the most hopeful chances of that. But you never know.

Walking only really works at 11 months, not 7 months.

Walking only really works at 11 months, not 7 months.
IMO there are ways to effectively do a type of walking at 7 months but it is of limited value for obvious reasons.

Right. I just want to try to play the field some at 7 months. But not during the Fall frenzy.

Ok - so you were just asking if those dates in October were popular and not about walking? The answer is yes. The entire last 3 months of the year is very popular. Some certain times a little less than others but at 7 months there's going to be lots of gaps for studios at most resorts. It is still possible to get into studios at different resorts at 7 months but it's not a given for any of the time. And then the largest resorts will be the most likely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter