The Cake Bake Shop by Gwendolyn Rogers Coming to Boardwalk?

The Boardwalk needs a place to get sandwiches, something quick. I think the new restaurant will fit in fine sine there already is a restaurant that is pretty expensive there and it seems to do fine. The ESPN was going downhill for the last few years it was open, they even got to the point where the burgers were bad.

Made me think of when Cat Cora had a restaurant at the BoardWalk. I think that one lasted 5 years.

Do companies like that pay Disney to be allowed to open on Disney property? I don't know how it works.

Made me think of when Cat Cora had a restaurant at the BoardWalk. I think that one lasted 5 years.

Do companies like that pay Disney to be allowed to open on Disney property? I don't know how it works.
I don't know about this restaurant specifically, but the general answer is yes. Non-Disney owned restaurants pay rent, a percentage of profits, or a combination of both to the company. I saw one of these leases through my work (although it was almost twenty years ago; no idea what terms they negotiate these days)

I'm not surprised to see ESPN Club going away - it seemed to be less popular over the last few years it was open (unless it was playoffs or March Madness at the time). But I am shocked they are putting in a high-end cake place there. I agree it seems this new place would be a much better fit at the Grand Floridian. Should be interesting to see how it does. I'm sure the newness will have people in, but will it last? And if it's nearly $20 for a slice of cake with ice cream in Indy, how much of an uncharge on that will there be on Disney property? Not sure it's going to be a must-do for us, but I hope it's successful and those who enjoy cake have a great time!

I don't know about this restaurant specifically, but the general answer is yes. Non-Disney owned restaurants pay rent, a percentage of profits, or a combination of both to the company. I saw one of these leases through my work (although it was almost twenty years ago; no idea what terms they negotiate these days)

So if the Cake Bake Shop pays Disney enough money for being allowed to open a restaurant on Disney property, I would think that would make Bob Cheapak happy, even if it doesn't make guests happy. There's probably some tipping point where this restaurant serving fewer guests is more profitable for Disney than a Disney-owned restaurant serving more guests. But that's just my cynical point of view.

So if the Cake Bake Shop pays Disney enough money for being allowed to open a restaurant on Disney property, I would think that would make Bob Cheapak happy, even if it doesn't make guests happy. There's probably some tipping point where this restaurant serving fewer guests is more profitable for Disney than a Disney-owned restaurant serving more guests. But that's just my cynical point of view.

They will be a tenant paying rent. A LOT of monthly rent. Probably in the neighborhood of $30,000 per month or more. The large third party restaurants at Disney Springs pay around $40k per month in rent, and this Boardwalk space is probably considered a more prime location. Of course Disney prefers this arrangement over having ESPN zone there (which was Disney owned and operated).

The thing is, though, I don't forsee this cake shop pulling in the kind of profit necessary to make it sustainable. If ESPN zone had been making money, you can bet Disney would have kept it open. Something about that location on the Boardwalk is a death knell to restaurants. It didn't work for Cat Cora. It didn't even work for Ample Hills. Until Disney addresses the parking issue at Boardwalk, nothing is going to thrive there.

They will be a tenant paying rent. A LOT of monthly rent. Probably in the neighborhood of $30,000 per month or more. The large third party restaurants at Disney Springs pay around $40k per month in rent, and this Boardwalk space is probably considered a more prime location. Of course Disney prefers this arrangement over having ESPN zone there (which was Disney owned and operated).

The thing is, though, I don't forsee this cake shop pulling in the kind of profit necessary to make it sustainable. If ESPN zone had been making money, you can bet Disney would have kept it open. Something about that location on the Boardwalk is a death knell to restaurants. It didn't work for Cat Cora. It didn't even work for Ample Hills. Until Disney addresses the parking issue at Boardwalk, nothing is going to thrive there.
Wow! Depending on the size of the space, that puts the rent somewhere between $60 and $70 per square foot. I'm just amazed at the commercial rent escalation. When I used to do lease work (again, it was almost twenty years ago; time flies lol), I worked on leases at the top commercial sites and malls all over the country. Even the top locations weren't anywhere close to that price. Just amazed at how much the rates have gone up. So when Disney guests see the prices for the food there, you will know why lol

The Boardwalk needs a place to get sandwiches, something quick. I think the new restaurant will fit in fine sine there already is a restaurant that is pretty expensive there and it seems to do fine. The ESPN was going downhill for the last few years it was open, they even got to the point where the burgers were bad.
The Boardwalk Bakery sells sandwiches. I think their grilled cheese and tomato soup is better than Beaches & Cream.

The founders of Ample Hills bankrupted their company through very bad, overall business decisions. It's not that the Boardwalk didn't work for them - they didn't know how to run a business and ended up losing their entire company: https://marker.medium.com/the-shock...oklyns-hottest-ice-cream-company-66b27dc1791d

I speculate the Cake Bake Shop will become the new shiny, hard-to-get reservation when it opens and, if it has some type of specialty items (a la the Kitchen Sink at B&C), it will attract a lot of guests. I see so many threads on here started by people who are looking for a special place to celebrate birthdays and other events - I think this would definitely fill part of that niche. And with the Skyliner linking 3 resorts and a park to the Boardwalk, plus walking distance from EP, is parking really that big of an issue? Are you saying people who have dining reservations at BWI can't park at the resort?

So excited for the Cake Bake Shop. I have a huge sweet tooth and love it when it's coupled with a destination theming such as the Laduree shops in Paris. Thanks to the OP for posting.

Never heard of it, and it sounds kind of snooty (they have "soupe" and "salade") but the cocktail menu looks like a blast, I hope they have a bar.

Not sure what happened to Cat Cora, but Ample Hills' parent company went bankrupt, so they didn't just pull out of WDW, they don't exist any more.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter