The Contemporary - Should We Change??

I think you’ll be happy with your decision. POFQ is a lovely resort, but the CR is very conveniently located and on a lot of bucket lists! :-) I don’t care for the Incredibles theming, but that’s just my opinion. The rooms are large and nicely appointed. There are some great restaurants. We’ve stayed there several times over the years and always enjoyed it.

They are both great options, but I tend to take advantage of great offers myself. On the other hand, sometimes we get our hearts set on a specific location, and that is also okay.

If you are at all torn, an option to consider is a split stay. There are lots of options. One is to add one night at the other hotel, or make the main (CR) stay one night shorter. With a one night stay, you won't get full feel of other hotel, but you also don't need to unpack much of anything. Bonus is you may well save $100.

Another way to see both is to plan a meal at the other hotel.

The only advantage to CR is its proximity to MK. As a resort, it leaves a lot to be desired and, personally, I hate the Incredibles theming - it's cold and has zero to do with the rest of the theming of that resort. I LOVE POFQ - it's small and very comfortable. If you will be at MK a lot, perhaps consider CR. Otherwise, I would stay at POFQ and use the money you will save on nice restaurants, souvenirs, etc.

Yes, I would change, especially if you paid the normal rate for POFQ and this is a rare chance for the Contemporary. Take the deluxe hotel while you can.

We own DVC at BLT but had to stay at CR for two nights when our flight was canceled due to weather. We liked it! The room was a decent size (2 adults and 1 teen). Of course we love the location and walk to/from MK, which is why we bought at BLT.

Enjoy for all the reasons the others have said.
There are a lot of people here who love POFQ. But, if you’ve never stayed there, you may not be one of them. I’m not. If I stay that way, I prefer POR. They love it for its smallness. This is the reason I don’t. IMO every other moderate is preferable, due to more amenities.
As a previous poster said, you can take a trip over to eat there just to see it and have a meal- that would be QS only, unless you walk on to POR. I really don’t mean to be negative because it is still a nice resort and has its niche. But I think you made a good choice, especially for 2 adults. You’ve opened up the amount of convenient things you can do considerably. There is the boat at POFQ to DS, but it’s nowhere near as quick as it may sound. (And I’ve stayed at POR 3 times and always walk down to and through POFQ each time as I am a walker for fun. )
Have a great trip!

Have always enjoyed staying at the Contemporary, still very modern looking after all these years and the only Disney property where the monorail runs through the building. Easy to walk to MK and then when you are tired of walking, board the monorail to get back to Contemporary which is the next stop. The lake view tower rooms give a great view of the surrounding areas. I don't think the added cost for theme park view is worth it since you mostly see a large parking lot and the tops of the tallest structures in MK. There is a large outdoor balcony where you can watch the MK fireworks and avoid those HUGE crowds exiting when the park closes.

Also depends on where you spend your time. If you don't plan to go to MK and mostly do Epcot or HS, not sure any of the monorail resorts would be your best choice. We enjoyed riding the monorail to Epcot, but apparently some on here do not. We never viewed our vacations at Disney as some kind of race to get from one thing to the next. Similarly, if you only plan to go to MK, then staying at one of the Epcot area hotels also wouldn't be the best plan.

We are currently booked at POFQ, but now have an opportunity to stay at The Contemporary at a very discounted rate. We have never stayed at either resort. It will cost more to move, but it's a rate I probably won't get again.

Who loves the Contemporary - and why (or why not?).

Note: we are adults so no kids -- and theming not a priority for us.
My favorite hotel. You can't beat walking back in 5 minutes from MK. Or taking the Monorail to Epcot and then be able to go to HS by boat after crossing Epcot.

I already checked the web site before to see the rates. And I promise this rate is definitely very discounted! It's just the total is more than FQ even with the discount. But I've gone ahead and changed because I think even paying a little more in this case will be well worth it based on what others have said.
I think you made a good choice! I love POFQ, used to love the CR (I strongly dislike the Incredibles theming, so it’s an almost no for me now), but if you haven’t stayed and got a really good deal, I would have done the same. It’s nice to be able to walk to the MK and if you’re a big Disney fan, to stay in an original resort. Plus, the extra evening hours for deluxe resort guests is a nice benefit. Have a great trip and if you can fit it in, try Steakhouse 71, we had a surprisingly good dinner there!

Have always enjoyed staying at the Contemporary, still very modern looking after all these years and the only Disney property where the monorail runs through the building. Easy to walk to MK and then when you are tired of walking, board the monorail to get back to Contemporary which is the next stop. The lake view tower rooms give a great view of the surrounding areas. I don't think the added cost for theme park view is worth it since you mostly see a large parking lot and the tops of the tallest structures in MK. There is a large outdoor balcony where you can watch the MK fireworks and avoid those HUGE crowds exiting when the park closes.

Also depends on where you spend your time. If you don't plan to go to MK and mostly do Epcot or HS, not sure any of the monorail resorts would be your best choice. We enjoyed riding the monorail to Epcot, but apparently some on here do not. We never viewed our vacations at Disney as some kind of race to get from one thing to the next. Similarly, if you only plan to go to MK, then staying at one of the Epcot area hotels also wouldn't be the best plan.
Thank you soooo much! This is very helpful. We never race to the parks (have never rope dropped). My son has Down syndrome (he's 23 now) and we follow his lead. We will be going to all 4 parks, and likely MK more than once (he loves the castle and Buzz Lightyear ride). We generally go to the park (time varies depending on when we get going), do some rides, take a break back at the hotel and then go back to a park (sometimes the same, sometimes a different). And the opportunity to watch fireworks from a balcony instead of inside the park is definitely appealing (my son does not care for crazy crowds or loud noises).

And, I wanted to take him to see many of the holiday decorations while there (we will be there Dec 6-15). He loves Christmas!

We are currently booked at POFQ, but now have an opportunity to stay at The Contemporary at a very discounted rate. We have never stayed at either resort. It will cost more to move, but it's a rate I probably won't get again.

Who loves the Contemporary - and why (or why not?).

Note: we are adults so no kids -- and theming not a priority for us.
We'd switch. We like being in the hustle/bustle of the contemporary. We also love the convenience for MK and Epcot. The rooms are nice and roomy and in the event ur there during the rainy season or a bad storm having everything under 1 roof is REALLY nice. - Even if you're in garden wing there's a covered path.

I would switch. I don't love having to switch monorail to epcot but it is a great location. Big rooms and balconies. I love how everything is in one building and the convenience to a qs and lounges.

I am so happy for you! I believe that you made the right choice to switch. I think that you will love your stay at the CR! The CR is so much better than POFQ, IMO. POFQ is nice but it has smaller rooms, outside walkways, no balconies, only a QS restaurant and only bus transportation to the theme parks. (Well, it does have the boat to Disney Springs AND a walkway to POR)

Staying at the CR you are in a deluxe resort that gives you access to deluxe extended hours at the parks! That is a nice perk. Also you have very large rooms, huge balconies, the walkway to the MK, monorail access to the MK, monorail to Epcot (with a transfer), monorail to the Polynesian and Grand Floridian, boat access to Fort Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge, MK bus stop is very close to take a bus to other resort hotels, everything that you need under one roof, beautiful views from almost every room category and you are staying in one of the original Disney Resort hotels! How cool is that? The CR is currently one of our first choices for a place to stay in WDW.

Many people do not like the theming of the CR, and I get that. It is not the most highly themed resort at WDW, for sure. But it feels different to me when I stay there. You have the monorail passing through your hotel. And when you walk out on your balcony you are looking at Cinderella Castle (if you have a theme park view). Even if you don't have the MK view, there is an area on the 4th floor where you can go to watch the fireworks. You have Chef Mickey's and the California Grille just. an elevator ride away. So convenient! The freedom to walk to the MK is a dream come true. It feels almost like staying in the MK. It. doesn't get much more magical than that to me.

I hope that you really enjoy your stay at this special resort hotel.

I already checked the web site before to see the rates. And I promise this rate is definitely very discounted! It's just the total is more than FQ even with the discount. But I've gone ahead and changed because I think even paying a little more in this case will be well worth it based on what others have said.
The CR is one of the original resorts and nothing compares to it on it Disney property. The wing has a slightly larger room but with just 2 people, I think the tower is an even better choice. I'm not a huge Incredibles fan but it's not overdone and you can put the pillows in the closet. I also loved the room lighting - there are a lot of lamps and switches. Being able to walk to the MK - I like going over for some Starbucks breakfast and just sitting (this is nicer when they get rid of park reservations so you could hop elsewhere before 2pm). The Jofferys in the CR is decent also. I generally mobile ordered my food at the QS place and picked it up and took it to the room - but it's also fun to sit and watch the monorail go through. If you have time, take a monorail resort tour and go eat at the Poly (Dole Whip, Trader Sam's) or the GF. Have a wonderful time!

Contemporary. No question about it. The amenities are worth it. There's a good reason its a deluxe resort.

I'll start off by saying POFQ is my favorite resort, and that's even compared to some deluxes I've stayed in like Poly.

But if the price was right and I thought I may never get this rate again, I'd take the opportunity to move to the Contemporary. It would be a great experience to stay there at least once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter