• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The craziest costume you ever wore?

goofeygirl

DIS Veteran
I am going to wear a costume for the races this up coming year. I will for the 5k, 10k and half for sure...I am not 100% on the full though.
Mostly it was a tutu themed idea...but my mind is getting carried away with me...so I was wondering what over the top costumes have your wore in races...and did you regret it?

I was actually thinking of Marilyn Monroe for the half. The Gentle Perfer Blondes Marilyn. Wearing pink. A pink tutu, a pink top, pink gloves with junk
glitter jewelry on and a Marilyn wig. Okay the wig thing is the over the top top part...and if I wore it, it might end up along the road before I finish the race. This thought came to me because I was in a race yesterday and ran alongside Elvis Presely...in later years...full gear...in the summer heat. Crazy.
It was a 7 mile race and it began after 10am.

I usually wear either a full princess gown, a sassy teacup costume, but only one sticks out as crazy. (BTW, I a male, but this is what makes running even more fun). I did the ToT last year as Queen Narissa, it was a 8 pound costume, maybe heavier. It was not breatheable, not only this, it was 80 degress, 100% humidity, hot. However, the costume looked just like the real dress, and even got in one of the videos for ToT race.

Can you post the video? I remember doing the half and seeing a fellow in full Snow White! Another fellow in the full wearing the full Tinkerbell outfit complete with wand.
I did see full Cinderella and full gown Miss Piggy in the 5k...That wont be issue the only thing is, outside of the other runners (and I know there are plenty), there are no guests of the park out and about to see you.
I want to wear something when I finish through Epcot when there are guests...

I would love to see photos/ that video of your costume.

I gather weather will play a huge part too. If its raining, wearing a wig may not work...and the costume will be soaking and heavy and no one will be out to enjoy seeing it...and I will certainly not enjoy wearing it.

I want to wear something nuts....if anything for at least this one half in my life...the Donald Duck.

Oh yeah, in the full this year I saw a Donald and Daisy duck...complete with white tights and orange sneakers! Talk about hot.

I have a friend who wore a long Ariel wig for the Princess half this year and she kept it on for the full 13.1. For me, wearing any costume is kind of crazy, so on an absolute scale my costumes have been pretty tame.

I met someone on a bus within Disney this year who wore a pirate wig running the FULL and said she kept it on the whole time but it was brutal. It was a bandana with hair and she wore a mustache too.

Then I think of Snow White....I could buy a cheap Snow White costume and wear that for the half too. I could toss it afterwards.

Its just that Disney is one of the races you can do in costume...Halloween aside....though I did a race this past Sunday and Elvis was in it. So was a giant Lobster.

Still thinking....still planning...but I want to do something fun and practical.

This princess upcoming, I'm planning on doing Ariel with the flipper and a red wig. It will still be runner friendly.

I will post the pics of the other costumes later when I'm home and have some time.

This princess upcoming, I'm planning on doing Ariel with the flipper and a red wig. It will still be runner friendly.

I will post the pics of the other costumes later when I'm home and have some time.

Now can you describe how you do a flipper? You made it or what? I am trying to imagine running with a flipper.

Perhaps just post a photo of it....

I have a few mos to come up with some ideas.

My friend and I are doing the 5K together in 2014, we plan on wearing costumes(simple ones- a tutu)....I am leaning towards Belle or snow white, she is thinking ariel.

I though of a Snow White tutu. Using blue tulle mostly and adding a bit of yellow. Wearing a blue running outfit...red bow...I think she wears a red bow.

I thought of Snow White too. Using that same blue tutu and removing the yellow tulle and replacing it with white tulle...put my hair in a bun and wear some tolerable crown...Cinderella...and gloves.

Thoughts are running wild through my head.

I am running a half at Halloween...I think for that I will wear a black tutu with a bit of orange running through it and my orange skeleton shirt I bought at an expo.

Would love to see any photos anyone has.

Love costumes :dance3:

I've got a few in progress right now....I've collected the major components, I just need to put everything together.

W&D (Kids Races) - 2 adult and 2 toddler PNK costumes and a toddler Sulley
W&D (Half) - Russell (DH) and Kevin (me!)....lots of feathers :rotfl:
GSC 10k - Evil Queen
GSC Half - Buzz Lightyear

For past races, I did a boring version of Snow White for PHM and DH and I did Incredibles for a local 4k.

Love costumes :dance3:

I've got a few in progress right now....I've collected the major components, I just need to put everything together.

W&D (Kids Races) - 2 adult and 2 toddler PNK costumes and a toddler Sulley
W&D (Half) - Russell (DH) and Kevin (me!)....lots of feathers :rotfl:
GSC 10k - Evil Queen
GSC Half - Buzz Lightyear

For past races, I did a boring version of Snow White for PHM and DH and I did Incredibles for a local 4k.

:yay:Sounds exciting..... my ideas right now are pretty basic working on a clearer idea of what will be functional but FUN!

I'm doing Stitch for PHM 1/2 :)

Ive received a quote for doing a full custom costume so Im just doing a final figuration of what I want on it before confirming this with them :)

So far with the exception of the marathon and Everest I always made (sewed) a costume that I thought would be runner friendly so I never used a store bought wig or anything. And for the marathon and Everest I made the ears.

None of them were as crazy as the stuff people wear at the London Marathon, at Disneyland I went as the tightrope walker from Haunted Mansion (which no one got), at Wine and Dine I went as the can can dancers from the French section of It's a Small World (also, no one got) but I didn't have the feather headpiece I made so I wore store bought ears and for a local 1/2 I went as Sailor Moon and this year as Rainbow Brite (very runner friendly). I'm planning on the Cheshire Cat for ToT.

Here's a link it has almost all the costumes I've worn and pinterest has some great examples. My friend asked if I ran these just to wear costumes and I said, "well, yeah, if I didn't I'd look pretty stupid just running now wouldn't I?"

Question: do people think Star Wars costumes are a little too far from the Disney theme? This year for the 5K during princess weekend I was Leia which I think fits, but I've got an idea for R2D2 and I'm not sure if it would just seem too random (especially if I don't have a Leia to accompany me!).

Question: do people think Star Wars costumes are a little too far from the Disney theme? This year for the 5K during princess weekend I was Leia which I think fits, but I've got an idea for R2D2 and I'm not sure if it would just seem too random (especially if I don't have a Leia to accompany me!).

I don't think it's too random or too far from the Disney theme at all. :)

Given the popularity of Star Tours and the clamor from many for new Star Wars attractions, I think it's fairly well connected to Disney theming.

Regarding some of the other costume ideas here, I'd suggest making sure you're comfortable running in the materials you plan to use as well as the specific costume before the race. I've heard some people get aggravated with tutus several miles into a race, while others have no issue -- perhaps it varies by person, but could also vary by the tutu.

With respect to wigs and hats, remember that you'll be trapping extra heat on the top of your head, making for a hotter, harder race -- consider whether or not the extra hardship is necessary for the look you're trying to pull off, and make sure you stay safe with the added heat during the race.

For our part, my fiancee and I have only run as Mickey/Minnie and Donald/Daisy for the Goofy Challenge this past January, and are planning to run the DL 1/2 at the end of this month as Pooh/Piglet. We just use color coordinated tech fabric clothing that we pick up retail and then add simple accessories as needed (headband with character ears, character ear clips, clip bowtie, tails, etc). Below are pictures from Goofy and part of our costumes for the upcoming DL 1/2 -- the ears for the DL 1/2 were custom ordered from a girl on Etsy to look more Pooh and Piglet like:
bth_19ea8e15-b131-4424-a5a3-439b9b3fc227.jpg

bth_bccfa108-f5c8-4d45-af7a-8a8ca077a1ba.jpg

bth_PoohandPiglet.jpg

I saw multiple Hans and multiple Leahs at one of the Disney races I've done this year, but I can't remember which one.

SW is owned by disny now, so it's not away from Disney at all. If you could stand it you could get the R2 ear hat Disney sells.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter