• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Good News Is......

I'm really hoping DLH can use this time to accelerate its refurb so it all will be completed by our November trip.

Many posters are speculating that Disneyland may use the downtime productively, but you need to remember that these projects cost money; Disneyland allocates a portion of park reveneus to cover them, and at this moment in time, it's literally taking in -zero- revenue. And there's still plenty of bills that need to be paid - including voluntary expenses, like cast member wages - whether the park is open or not. Odds are, we'll see expenses cut and projects deferred, not accelerated.

I think you mean the vast majority are not sick yet. Before this is over, only a slim majority of us will not be sick, and that's if we are lucky. Tens of thousands of people who are not sick today will be dead in a month. Enjoy your health while you have it!

I think it's far more likely that we reflect upon this event pondering the hysteria behind it...

...Disneyland allocates a portion of park reveneus to cover them, and at this moment in time, it's literally taking in -zero- revenue. .
I agree, largely. However they still pull in monthly payments from AP holders. I’ve heard in the past that about 90% of them pay monthly rather than all at once. As we all know, Disney does not disclose their number of annual pass holders. But I’ve heard speculation that it’s around 2-3 million.

I agree, largely. However they still pull in monthly payments from AP holders. I’ve heard in the past that about 90% of them pay monthly rather than all at once. As we all know, Disney does not disclose their number of annual pass holders. But I’ve heard speculation that it’s around 2-3 million.

From an accounting standpoint, it doesn't matter, since revenues earned by AP are distributed evenly throughout the year (and I bet Disney will offer some type of extension or discount that will more than make up for the lost time, anyway). But the actual ticket revenues are small potatoes -- it's the incidental spending (parking, food, merchandise, etc.) that makes the AP program lucrative to Disney, and obviously people can't spend money when they can't get into the park.

Another thing to remember... is that life isn't going to return to normal. We're headed into a recession -- billions of dollars is being removed from our economy, and hundreds of companies will go bankrupt. Some places and some people will be far more impacted than others, but millions of people will hurt from this. Even if this hysteria ends quickly, it'd be surprising if Disneyland didn't retort to heavy discounting to get people back into the park... and many of the ones that come, won't be opening their wallets up as freely as they were a month ago.

Tough times ahead, and I'd look for Disney to cut expenses... I guess, from a selfish perspective of somebody who isn't all that impacted from this, the one "good" thing that will come from this is that it will cost a lot less money to vacation at Disneyland (not limited to tickets) and there will be a lot less people there.

Last edited:

We were supposed to arrive on Sunday. So disappointed! But me and my 8 year old have also been trying to find some silver linings:

* We may rebook after July 18 and get to experience Avengers Campus (probably wouldn't have gone back for 2-3 years
* We might be able to rebook at a time when we can for sure see fantasmic (were likely going to miss it this trip)
* Will be able to save up even more money for souvenirs
* Might rebook for slightly warmer time and enjoy Splash Mountain more
* (my son doesn't know this one), but might rebook during the school year, so no school! (previously was doing spring break and so didn't want to miss class time, but my priorites are changing!)

We had a pretty good deal to stay at Grand Californian, so I only hope we can book something similar again

People are being nicer to each other. The grocery store line yesterday was a nightmare of epic proportions. Everyone kept their head, smiled at each other, and I heard many thanks being given to the clerks who are working their tails off right now.

People are being nicer to each other. The grocery store line yesterday was a nightmare of epic proportions. Everyone kept their head, smiled at each other, and I heard many thanks being given to the clerks who are working their tails off right now.
Yes I've noticed that too. Two weeks ago when I went to Costco it was sooo chaotic! People yelling at each other, yelling at employees b/c they were out of things...almost saw a fight between two women b/c one thought the other was trying to steal her basket with toilet paper..

Fast froward to now where the situation has progressed, and people seem nicer in the stores. No yelling. If something is sold out, people just look for the next item on their list. Target today was super calm. Maybe all the crazies had come already ? lol I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow...hoping it's not too bad.

*Random: If your local store is out of toilet paper and sanitizer, try the office supply stores.

Yes I've noticed that too. Two weeks ago when I went to Costco it was sooo chaotic! People yelling at each other, yelling at employees b/c they were out of things...almost saw a fight between two women b/c one thought the other was trying to steal her basket with toilet paper..

Fast froward to now where the situation has progressed, and people seem nicer in the stores. No yelling. If something is sold out, people just look for the next item on their list. Target today was super calm. Maybe all the crazies had come already ? lol I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow...hoping it's not too bad.

*Random: If your local store is out of toilet paper and sanitizer, try the office supply stores.

Yes, Target was packed and lots of empty shelves but it was so quiet and calm. It was weird.

Good news:
  • they released rise of sky walker early on digital
  • my dogs are so happy we’re home so much
  • I had time to play video games today which I never get to do
  • I love online teaching and this switch gave me some time to try out new programs
Let’s keep the buzzkill thoughts off here and keep the happy going! There’s already another thread with the sadness being discussed.

What else is good?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter