• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Grand Californian Villas, DL & DCA

kc10family

DIS Veteran
Our last visit to DL was about 9 years ago. Our last stay at GCH was in 2002.

I am in need of any and all info, tips, don’ts, do’s, you want to give. The only thing I know is we want to stay in the GCV and eat a hand dipped corndog if they still make them at the red old-time truck in DL. We feel like newbies.

I’d head over to the DL boards for a wealth of tips and advice-so much there! Do you own at GCV? It’s a wonderful place-there’s nothing like its location in all of WDW! However, it is very difficult to get in if you don’t own there, and will be worse, I assume, with Galaxy’s Edge opening soon.

The corn dog truck is still there, as of a few months ago, anyway.

Villas at Grand Californian have very minimal availability at 7 months, but there often are a few days, especially in non-studio units. But if you want decent access, you will need to rent from an owner.

As others note, availability at 7 months is tough. Our last trip we did a triple split stay: 2 nights in a GCH 1BR, a night at the DL Hotel, and then two nights in a GV back at GCH. That was how we had to string together our stay, but it was definitely worth it. Some other tips, though as limace mentions, there are threads more solely dedicated to all things DL:
- Make use of the CA entrance from the GCH--only guests staying there can use it, and except right at park opening, the security line generally isn't bad.
- We eschew doing a WOC dining package since the viewing area is just average. We prefer to eat on our own, then line up about an hour and a half early to grab a spot as soon as the viewing area opens. I don't believe WOC has returned yet (it closed during the Incredibles build up), but I'm assuming it will be when you go.
- Don't stress about dining. It's a lot easier to navigate dining there than at WDW. And, with Downtown Disney co-located with the parks, you can easily leave a park, walk to lunch/dinner, then go back to the parks. Recommend the fresh guacamole prepared table side at Tortilla Jo's.
- There is an observation deck on top of the DVC portion of the GC. If you don't feel like camping out for the night time parade in CA, you can still catch glimpses of it, as well as other cool views, from the deck.

I’d head over to the DL boards for a wealth of tips and advice-so much there! Do you own at GCV? It’s a wonderful place-there’s nothing like its location in all of WDW! However, it is very difficult to get in if you don’t own there, and will be worse, I assume, with Galaxy’s Edge opening soon.
I will go to the DL boards but figured this area might have some good FYI on the DVC parts of it all.

The corn dog truck is still there, as of a few months ago, anyway.

Villas at Grand Californian have very minimal availability at 7 months, but there often are a few days, especially in non-studio units. But if you want decent access, you will need to rent from an owner.
SOOOO excited for the corndog truck!!!! I know that sounds silly but it was one of our favorites. As of now, the dates we want are open but I need to wait till the 7 mth out day to book. I think I have been checking reservations twice a day to see if there are changes and I should get worried.

As others note, availability at 7 months is tough. Our last trip we did a triple split stay: 2 nights in a GCH 1BR, a night at the DL Hotel, and then two nights in a GV back at GCH. That was how we had to string together our stay, but it was definitely worth it. Some other tips, though as limace mentions, there are threads more solely dedicated to all things DL:
- Make use of the CA entrance from the GCH--only guests staying there can use it, and except right at park opening, the security line generally isn't bad.
- We eschew doing a WOC dining package since the viewing area is just average. We prefer to eat on our own, then line up about an hour and a half early to grab a spot as soon as the viewing area opens. I don't believe WOC has returned yet (it closed during the Incredibles build up), but I'm assuming it will be when you go.
- Don't stress about dining. It's a lot easier to navigate dining there than at WDW. And, with Downtown Disney co-located with the parks, you can easily leave a park, walk to lunch/dinner, then go back to the parks. Recommend the fresh guacamole prepared table side at Tortilla Jo's.
- There is an observation deck on top of the DVC portion of the GC. If you don't feel like camping out for the night time parade in CA, you can still catch glimpses of it, as well as other cool views, from the deck.
I will have a back up plan for sure. We could do Disney Collection and stay at the DLH or PPH but would love to stay in the villas.
We have never seen WOC, it was not ready the last time we were there. It is on our list of to do.
Food wise, we only want to ensure we do a few things. The corndog truck and Blue Bayou, my kids dont remember either. After those two, we are open for anything.

I will have a back up plan for sure. We could do Disney Collection and stay at the DLH or PPH but would love to stay in the villas.
We have never seen WOC, it was not ready the last time we were there. It is on our list of to do.
Food wise, we only want to ensure we do a few things. The corndog truck and Blue Bayou, my kids dont remember either. After those two, we are open for anything.
We paid OOP for the DLH as the point rates for Disney Collections are usually quite steep. We almost booked PPH but opted for the older resort. As for other food, you can't go wrong with Napa Rose. Expensive? Yes. Yet, we loved it. Food, service, ambiance, wine list all were topnotch. Good luck!

Look into MaxPass, I think it’s a paid additional FP that lets you book another FP as soon as you enter the line of a current FP.

Bring your DVC card. You get a discount most everywhere (including red trolly corn dogs), when the CM asks if you have an AP, just say no, but I have DVC)

And while there is a GCV balcony that looks at WOC, it’s an off-center view that’s not worthwhile for a 1st viewing.

Oh, and churros. DL has a much better churro game than WDW.

Look into MaxPass, I think it’s a paid additional FP that lets you book another FP as soon as you enter the line of a current FP.

Bring your DVC card. You get a discount most everywhere (including red trolly corn dogs), when the CM asks if you have an AP, just say no, but I have DVC)

And while there is a GCV balcony that looks at WOC, it’s an off-center view that’s not worthwhile for a 1st viewing.

Oh, and churros. DL has a much better churro game than WDW.
This for sure, Churros are amazing there. Also MaxPass is even better you can book the next one between 30 mins to 90 mins from when you booked your fastpass (the time depends on when you fastpass selection starts).

"The waiting period can vary depending on how far off your return window is from when you booked it. If a ride’s return window is less than 30 minutes away, then the waiting period is 30 minutes (unless you activate the FASTPASS within that 30 minutes — once you scan it at a ride, you are free to make another reservation). If the return window begins between 30 and 90 minutes from when you booked it, then the waiting period ends as soon as the return window begins (if at 2 p.m. you reserve a ride that has a return window of 3:15 to 4:15 p.m., you can make your next reservation as early as 3:15 p.m.). If you choose a ride that has a return time that begins more than 90 minutes from booking, then your waiting period is 90 minutes. Being able to see all the available choices can help you plan and make decisions to best manage your day. You can have multiple FASTPASS reservations at a time. You just have to book the next one after the waiting period ends."

SOOOO excited for the corndog truck!!!! I know that sounds silly but it was one of our favorites. As of now, the dates we want are open but I need to wait till the 7 mth out day to book. I think I have been checking reservations twice a day to see if there are changes and I should get worried.

My family agrees that the corn dogs from the corn dog truck are World-Class, and none of us have ever had better corn dogs anywhere. Blue Bayou has excellent food, but their options are pretty restricted. Still, what atmosphere! What a setting! We almost always eat there when we are at Disneyland. However, we like the food better at French Market and New Orleans Cafe. Not nearly as classy, but more typically New Orleans food.

-Definitely do Max Pass. At minimum, you can get a new FP every 90 minutes.
-Skip Blue Bayou (crazy expensive and not that good) and have a wonderful meal at Napa Rose in the Grand Cal (my kids are grown, so I don't know about the kid's meals)
-they do the same corndog as the red cart inside CA Adventures at the Corn Dog Castle
-FP Radiator Springs first, it'll sell out. There's a single rider line that moves pretty quickly.
-definitely ride Guardians of the Galaxy...many times. I think there are 7 different songs, all a different experience. I just rode Tower of Terror WDW yesterday...no comparison
-definitely ride the Incredicoaster. There is a single rider line that goes pretty quickly. It probably won't be busy early in the day
-the walk from DL to CA (gate to gate) is two minutes...park hop! Also, you can keep your DL FPs and get a new one at CA, and visa versa. I noticed I couldn't get FP at another park without giving up current park's FPs at WDW.
-Toy Story Mania is exactly the same and the line will be very long
-use early entry for both parks-at CA, everyone will rush to TSM...unless you love TSM, head to Guardians instead
-don't be bummed when you see DL castle....everything at DL is tiny compared to WDW
-inside Grand Cal, try Hearthstone Lounge for mid-day break. They serve possibly the best margherita pizza I've ever had. Also, great charcuterie and cocktails.
-have a drink and the lobster nachos or other appetizer at Lamplight Lounge on Pixar Pier in CA.
-Space Mountain fast passes will go quickly.
-even if you have/choose a late day fast pass, you can still get another in 90 minutes.
-use the DL phone app!

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised to see one bedrooms at VGC are wide open the entire month of September (7 month window opens in a few weeks). Is one bedroom availability usually that good in slower seasons (Sep/Jan)? With SWL opening 3 months before I'm shocked.

I'm kind of surprised to see one bedrooms at VGC are wide open the entire month of September (7 month window opens in a few weeks). Is one bedroom availability usually that good in slower seasons (Sep/Jan)? With SWL opening 3 months before I'm shocked.

Same! I was able to book 5 nights in May in a 1BR at less than 7 months out, but I figured it was because it's right before SWGE opens. I'm hoping to book another 5 nights in October, so here's hoping there's still availability at 7 months. Love the 1BRs at VGC since they have the pull down Murphy bed and 2 full bathrooms.

For the OP, I agree with others that MaxPass is great! Saves a lot of time although they did raise the price to $15/day unless you have certain levels of APs.
Love Napa Rose and Steakhouse 55 is good too (but was not impressed by their afternoon tea).
For quick service, we like Plaza Inn and Rancho del Zocalo at DL, and the new Tropical Hideaway looks like a good option. Also Lamplight Lounge at DCA. Ballast Point is a new brewery in DTD that we haven't tried but I've seen good reviews.
I would agree that the dining package for WoC is not necessary. If they're still offering paper FPs for it, those go quickly and don't limit you from getting a ride FP so it's good to get them early.
If lines are long for food, take advantage of mobile ordering where available. The DL app allows you to apply discounts when using mobile ordering if applicable.
As for DVC benefits, I've wanted to check out the member tour of Soarin' and the power walk in DCA but haven't had a chance yet. Those do require reservations but worth looking into if you're interested!

Availability for 1 and 2 bedrooms are usually pretty good until right at 7 months with the exception of spring break, Christmas, Thanksgiving.... However, SWGE is going to probably rewrite the exceptions.

Guys! I’m so excited! We had an epic DL trip last June, using my VGC points for the first time for 8 of us in a 2 bedroom. Amazing view in room 5500, soarin’ tour, and even lunch at Club 33. I have a trip to WDW and USO next month, staying at BWV. I’m excited about it, but DL is my real home.

So I thought I’d check availability for Early January for my 50th. And then decided to screw it and booked 4 nights in a two bedroom. So excited to spend my birthday in my favorite place on earth with my favorite people!

Make sure you get Max Pass, totally worth it!

For dining I recommend, Napa Rose, Carthay Circle, Steackhouse 55, Carnation cafe, and Lamplight lounge!

1. Max pass is your best friend. So worth it.
2. We personally don’t feel like the Blue Bayou is worth it except for the fantasmic dinner packages. We eat there every trip to get a seated (on the ground) spot for
Fantasmic, without that we wouldn’t go back there.
3.LOCATION. It is the absolute best. We come back to the hotel and have “dinner” for lunch and nap everyday (2 bedroom). I’ve stayed at PPH and the Grand is way better for walking especially now that you can’t cut through the Grand anymore. I’m planning a WDW trip right now and am having a really hard time picking a resort because there’s no clear winner like VGC.

1. Max pass is your best friend. So worth it.
2. We personally don’t feel like the Blue Bayou is worth it except for the fantasmic dinner packages. We eat there every trip to get a seated (on the ground) spot for
Fantasmic, without that we wouldn’t go back there.
3.LOCATION. It is the absolute best. We come back to the hotel and have “dinner” for lunch and nap everyday (2 bedroom). I’ve stayed at PPH and the Grand is way better for walking especially now that you can’t cut through the Grand anymore. I’m planning a WDW trip right now and am having a really hard time picking a resort because there’s no clear winner like VGC.
Agree with the Blue Bayou. It's on many people's favorite list, but we found the food unimaginative and muddled. The VGC is such an exceptional property for so many reasons, not the least of which is its decor and CMs (and Napa Rose). As for your resort at WDW, we own at VWL so it's our go-to spot. We love the serenity, and VGC feels a lot like our home resort. That being said, perhaps a plan on what park you most tend to visit would help. Good luck!

We’ve done the fantasmic BB package twice and wouldn’t do it again-while the view is amazing, the food is mediocre and very expensive and your view isn’t much better than the other cheaper fantasmic packages, which we’d do instead next time.

Agree with the Blue Bayou. It's on many people's favorite list, but we found the food unimaginative and muddled. The VGC is such an exceptional property for so many reasons, not the least of which is its decor and CMs (and Napa Rose). As for your resort at WDW, we own at VWL so it's our go-to spot. We love the serenity, and VGC feels a lot like our home resort. That being said, perhaps a plan on what park you most tend to visit would help. Good luck!
I’ve only been once as a teen and haven’t taken my family there before. We want to try to do as much as possible but I don’t really know where we want to be most. I’m trying to keep low expectations and know that I might wish I had done something differently but that’s ok. Honestly the RAT is making some choices for me - that’s for sure lol.
We’ve done the fantasmic BB package twice and wouldn’t do it again-while the view is amazing, the food is mediocre and very expensive and your view isn’t much better than the other cheaper fantasmic packages, which we’d do instead next time.
We were thinking of doing RBT this last time but we had someone in our party that hadn’t done BB with us so we did it again. We will probably try it next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter