The Journey Begins…Live Aulani Trip Updates.

I’ve been wondering whether to book. The price can only be justified by the characters but looking on YouTube it appears that it’s just interaction before your meal with the characters not roaming around throughout the meal. Was that the arrangement for you?
Yes. A quick photo with Mickey and Minnie out on the patio. Then a quick hello to Goofy and Max in the old buffet line. All socially distanced. I would never pay for again looking back now.

Yes. A quick photo with Mickey and Minnie out on the patio. Then a quick hello to Goofy and Max in the old buffet line. All socially distanced. I would never pay for again looking back now.
Were they there for the whole morning when you had breakfast? or did they take shifts different times?

Were they there for the whole morning when you had breakfast? or did they take shifts different times?
They're physically there the whole time, but they're only meeting guests as they enter.

The food and the characters were both heavily modified for COVID. The meal is usually buffet with free-roaming characters that deliver amazing interaction. The COVID version is played food and just the character photos before you sit down. I highly recommend skipping it until things are back to normal.

Hi All,
Part 2 is live over in the DL TRIP REPORT Thread. Hope you will follow a long!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-adventure-continues…live-trip-updates.3867777/
Planning a Aulani/Disneyland trip for March 2023. We are trying to decide if we want to to do the Disneyland portion on the way to Hawaii (coming from Boston) or on the way back home. I figured we would go to DL first but curious to hear how you felt going to parks after Hawaii. Of course breaking up the long flight is part of why we want to make the stop over. It’s a longer flight to Hawaii than from Hawaii.

It’s a longer flight to Hawaii than from Hawaii.
Barely, and the time change is a much bigger concern than the flight duration.

Boston to Honolulu leaves at 9:00 AM and lands at 3:30 PM. Super easy.

Honolulu to Boston leaves at 4:30 PM and lands at 7:00 AM. Absolutely miserable.

Last edited:
Planning a Aulani/Disneyland trip for March 2023. We are trying to decide if we want to to do the Disneyland portion on the way to Hawaii (coming from Boston) or on the way back home. I figured we would go to DL first but curious to hear how you felt going to parks after Hawaii. Of course breaking up the long flight is part of why we want to make the stop over. It’s a longer flight to Hawaii than from Hawaii.
I am from NJ. We flew direct to HNL on May 19th, spent a week at Aulani and then flew to LAX on Thursday, the 26th. We have been here for 2 full day and now today we are flying back to PHL. My school of thought is that it is much easier to adjust to time change when you go on vacation then it is to adjust when you come home.

Going, we were up at 4:30am EST for our 8:10am flight. We stayed up to about 8pm HST. It was hard but the later you stay up the better, easier it is to adjust. We just hiked Diamond Head first day in Oahu. We were up around 4:45am, hopped in the car for our 6-8am DH reservation. Worked out well.

Flying back to LAX, we had a 7am flight, so once again up around 4:30am HST. This actually worked out because I didn’t stay up late this first night back in CA and adjusted to the 3hr gain fairly easy.

Today I am up at 6am PST, our flight is not until 11:45am, I will probably get home around 9pm EST. I’m hoping I will be tired and go to sleep shortly after I get home and I will pretty much be back on my east coast schedule. I am off Memorial Day and I took off from work on Tuesday, so I should be fine come Wednesday. This is just my personal experience, but it has worked out wonderfully.

We stayed up to about 8pm HST. It was hard but the later you stay up the better, easier it is to adjust.
In the winter, when the sun sets earlier, I think it's easier to just adjust as little as possible. Embrace getting up early, eating early, and going to bed early. Essentially, keep doing what you did on Diamond Head day every day. Keeping your body somewhere in between Hawaii time and Eastern time makes the return East easier.

In the winter, when the sun sets earlier, I think it's easier to just adjust as little as possible. Embrace getting up early, eating early, and going to bed early. Essentially, keep doing what you did on Diamond Head day every day. Keeping your body somewhere in between Hawaii time and Eastern time makes the return East easier.
That’s what we’re doing now at Aulani. In bed by 10, up at 6. We love it.

Thanks all! We are officially booked! Decided to do a direct flight from BOS to HNL, one week at Aulani, then we fly from HNL to LAX.

Now we just need to wait till Disneyland opens up their March 2023 booking to get our room and park tickets. Planning on two parks days to close out the trip before returning home. So excited!

Thanks all! We are officially booked! Decided to do a direct flight from BOS to HNL, one week at Aulani, then we fly from HNL to LAX.

Now we just need to wait till Disneyland opens up their March 2023 booking to get our room and park tickets. Planning on two parks days to close out the trip before returning home. So excited!
Your details are exactly what we did (well from EWR, not BOS), but we did a week at Aulani and then 2 full days at Disneyland before returning home. This itinerary worked out really well for us. Good luck with all your planning.

Highly recommend spending the extra money and paying for Extra Comfort on the BOS to HNL flight, especially if row 11 or 12 is available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter