The Murdaugh Murders

I haven't been following super closely. Saw a Dateline summary and caught a little bit of the trial on TV (as much as I could stomach anyway).

But every time he refers to "Paul Paul" I have to stop myself from throwing stuff at the TV. That's a name someone would use as an endearment. And thinking of what he did to "Paul Paul" and using a term of endearment are just incompatible. So transparently manipulative.

And it comes off as "Paw Paw"....which is really weird. It comes across as trying to be "folksy" to me....it's over the top.

And it comes off as "Paw Paw"....which is really weird. It comes across as trying to be "folksy" to me....it's over the top.
Yes folksy, and relatable. But mostly he's trying to pretend he was a loving father. It really agitates me. He should be glad I'm not on the jury. I'd probably convict him just for that. ;)

I don’t believe he was nearly the addict he claims, but I’m really staring to think the pills are what made him finally decide to do it.

He was detoxing the day before in the hotel. Next day, wakes up sick and heads to work at noon. At work, day falls apart. He is confronted by Jeanne. Learns his dad is sick. Doing the financial statement for the boat case makes him stressed.

He goes home and wants pills. Little detective and Mags don’t give them to him at dinner. He follows them down to the kennels and they still don’t give in. Maybe they were even in Paul’s pocket. He’s in a rage and kills them.

Reactions: GAN
I don’t believe he was nearly the addict he claims, but I’m really staring to think the pills are what made him finally decide to do it.

He was detoxing the day before in the hotel. Next day, wakes up sick and heads to work at noon. At work, day falls apart. He is confronted by Jeanne. Learns his dad is sick. Doing the financial statement for the boat case makes him stressed.

He goes home and wants pills. Little detective and Mags don’t give them to him at dinner. He follows them down to the kennels and they still don’t give in. Maybe they were even in Paul’s pocket. He’s in a rage and kills them.
I don't believe he was that big of an addict either. I think he's using he's exaggerating to cover for the money he has hidden somewhere.

When Murdaugh was on the stand, I thought the prosecutor was getting way too detailed about the financial crimes (of which there were many). At some point it was like..."yeah, we get it...he stole money from everyone from children to quadriplegics.....he's a terrible human being"......but let's get on to the murders.

You have to remember, after this trial this prosecutor is trying him for over 100 counts of financial crimes. With all the admissions he made Murdaugh make under oath on the stand, that trial will be a cake walk.

You have to remember, after this trial this prosecutor is trying him for over 100 counts of financial crimes. With all the admissions he made Murdaugh make under oath on the stand, that trial will be a cake walk.

Yes, and I was thinking that they could just roll the footage of his testimony this past week. Maybe they could hire the guy from that baked bean commercial because it would fit perfectly....the "Roll that beautiful bean footage". But maybe "roll that beautiful crime footage". ;).

I haven’t really followed everything or know any other details so I could be totally off here. The only other thing I’m speculating is that he really didn’t do it, but he was maybe part of a hit job that went bad. Who knows what else this guy is involved in. He very well could’ve been there but hiding. Maybe he’s protecting the other son.

Denial

Early on in this video, 0.23 or so, it is interesting that Alex Murdaugh nods "Yes" while stating "No" which is a body language sign of a lie. When that happened, I was literally 😲 .

Denial

Early on in this video, 0.23 or so, it is interesting that Alex Murdaugh nods "Yes" while stating "No" which is a body language sign of a lie. When that happened, I was literally 😲 .
I think the last statement on the clip you posted that he “would never do anything INTENTIONALLY to either one of them”was the most telling. He just admitted to being on drugs and paranoid at the time of the killings. Maybe in his mind it wasn’t intentional just an accident so he could rationalize it. He definitely was nodding a lot throughout and repeatedly clenching his jaw.

I just watched the Netflix documentary and I have to say, I think the whole family was vile.

I don't believe for a second that the reason Alex lied about being at the kennels right before the murders was that he didn't trust law enforcement. He denied being there from the beginning.

Yes, and if he isn't convicted of the murders he will end up in some cushy federal prison where all the corrupt corporate people go. If he gets convicted of the murders he will go right where he needs to go.

So....anyone listen to the first half of closing agreements today? I listened on You Tube when I was out working today. I mean...I get that there's no "smoking gun"....but the phone/car data plus the lying about not being at the kennel. And the caregiver at his Mom's house saying he walked in with something that looked like a tarp (but was a coat), and that he said...."I was here for 40 minutes right".....when it was just 20. He also implied he'd pay for her wedding...etc. Blanca the housekeeper's testimony....about what he was wearing and that she never saw that shirt again was also powerful. He also said that the Hampton sheriff told him he could install blue lights in his private car, and that sheriff said he absolutely did not tell him he could do that. Yes Alex did....and also displayed a badge in his windshield and carried a badge on his person. He portrayed himself as 'the law'....as we all saw at the hospital after the boat accident.

I also believed the man who took care of the dogs who said that the hose was not the way he always put it back, and that there was puddles in places where there normally were not. I think Alex killed them, washed himself down, then went back to the house, showered and changed....and disposed of his clothes and the gun somewhere between his and his mother's home....possibly in that smokehouse at his parent's house?

I think it's probable that everything was beginning to boil over in his life. He saw the issue with his son (and the civil case in particular) as something that would likely uncover his many, many financial crimes. I believe that he or someone he hired killed his son and wife because he thought it would be a diversion of sorts.....in the same nutty way that he faked a shooting/suicide on the side of the road.

Ultimately I think that the prosecutor was correct in saying that Alex couldn't live with the shame of being caught stealing millions and millions of dollars from his clients and even a couple of family members. He was definitely on pills....and all of the "paranoid thinking" he admitted to having most definitely could have led to him thinking that this was somehow a good idea.

So...that's my take. I expect that tomorrow we'll hear from the defense that yes....he's a liar and a thief. And yes, he lied about being at the kennels. But the investigation by officials and SLED was sloppy and phone/car data records alone does not remotely prove that he killed his wife and son.

I'm with the prosecution.....I think he did it.

I have spent the better part of 6 weeks watching the trial. I thought the prosecution had been doing an adequate job, if not being a little long winded at times.

Between the prosecution’s rebuttal yesterday and their closing argument, I believe they have proven the State’s case beyond a reasonable doubt. Of course, there is still more to see tomorrow, but knowing the defense has presented their evidence already, it’s unlikely that they will be able to summarize it in a way to question the reasonable doubt.

Alex being at the kennels at 8:44 and lying about it is the smoking gun.

I am very curious about the email the judge received and why they have been having so many meetings in his chambers about it. I hope that is explained!!! (Along with the Gucci receipt. Hahaha!!!!)

I have spent the better part of 6 weeks watching the trial. I thought the prosecution had been doing an adequate job, if not being a little long winded at times.

Between the prosecution’s rebuttal yesterday and their closing argument, I believe they have proven the State’s case beyond a reasonable doubt. Of course, there is still more to see tomorrow, but knowing the defense has presented their evidence already, it’s unlikely that they will be able to summarize it in a way to question the reasonable doubt.

Alex being at the kennels at 8:44 and lying about it is the smoking gun.

I am very curious about the email the judge received and why they have been having so many meetings in his chambers about it. I hope that is explained!!! (Along with the Gucci receipt. Hahaha!!!!)

I agree....and I believe that Maggie, and especially Paul's phones going dark about four minutes after 8:44....means he was absolutely at the scene and/or was on a golf cart back to the house and heard the shooting....and then began playing out the pre-planned alibi. Paul was very active on his phone up until the moment he was killed....took the video of the dog's tail, and then his friend Rogan began texting him back like..."yo"....like are you there? Where's the video you just told me you'd send of my dog's tail.

I also think he was trying to delete messages/texts off of Paul's phone, but probably figured out that even if he did....eventually they'd get them anyway.

But I honestly think he did it. If he hadn't done it....and had hired people to do it, he would have been somewhere else the entire time to provide a better alibi. And if it was "vigilante justice" for the boat accident, those people would have killed him too. And as we all know...those dogs would have been going crazy if someone was in the vicinity just minutes before they were shot. Several of them were straight up hunting dogs, not dogs that are pets. They would have been barking their heads off.

I agree....and I believe that Maggie, and especially Paul's phones going dark about four minutes after 8:44....means he was absolutely at the scene and/or was on a golf cart back to the house and heard the shooting....and then began playing out the pre-planned alibi. Paul was very active on his phone up until the moment he was killed....took the video of the dog's tail, and then his friend Rogan began texting him back like..."yo"....like are you there? Where's the video you just told me you'd send of my dog's tail.

I also think he was trying to delete messages/texts off of Paul's phone, but probably figured out that even if he did....eventually they'd get them anyway.

But I honestly think he did it. If he hadn't done it....and had hired people to do it, he would have been somewhere else the entire time to provide a better alibi. And if it was "vigilante justice" for the boat accident, those people would have killed him too. And as we all know...those dogs would have been going crazy if someone was in the vicinity just minutes before they were shot. Several of them were straight up hunting dogs, not dogs that are pets. They would have been barking their heads off.
Agree with all of your points 100%

I thought they explained well that Paul and Rogan were in a conversation, so for it to end at that time clearly showed Paul was unable to use his phone.

Alex calling Rogan like 5 times before even calling his own son that night seems obvious that he had tried to look at Paul’s phone. That was too odd to be a coincidence.

The weird part about his vigilante story is that he wants us to believe that someone was that angry and had so much hatred in their heart for Paul that they would stalk him (to know that he was at Moselle at all that day and that he would be at the kennels then), but that it wasn’t anyone connected to any of the people on the boat because they are good people. What rando would be so motivated to want to kill him but show up unarmed???? And why wouldn’t they just kill him on the drive there in his truck?

Alex screwed up by not recognizing that talking about those dogs peeing on every tree and so many details would show that they weren’t worried about someone else in the woods. Alex even fumbled by saying they weren’t barking at everyone and even gave an annoyed look. I hope they mention it again on their final statement, but I didn’t think the prosecution gave that detail the time it deserved. He finally brought it up after lunch, but he moved on so quickly!

So....anyone listen to the first half of closing agreements today? I listened on You Tube when I was out working today. I mean...I get that there's no "smoking gun"....but the phone/car data plus the lying about not being at the kennel. And the caregiver at his Mom's house saying he walked in with something that looked like a tarp (but was a coat), and that he said...."I was here for 40 minutes right".....when it was just 20. He also implied he'd pay for her wedding...etc. Blanca the housekeeper's testimony....about what he was wearing and that she never saw that shirt again was also powerful. He also said that the Hampton sheriff told him he could install blue lights in his private car, and that sheriff said he absolutely did not tell him he could do that. Yes Alex did....and also displayed a badge in his windshield and carried a badge on his person. He portrayed himself as 'the law'....as we all saw at the hospital after the boat accident.

I also believed the man who took care of the dogs who said that the hose was not the way he always put it back, and that there was puddles in places where there normally were not. I think Alex killed them, washed himself down, then went back to the house, showered and changed....and disposed of his clothes and the gun somewhere between his and his mother's home....possibly in that smokehouse at his parent's house?

I think it's probable that everything was beginning to boil over in his life. He saw the issue with his son (and the civil case in particular) as something that would likely uncover his many, many financial crimes. I believe that he or someone he hired killed his son and wife because he thought it would be a diversion of sorts.....in the same nutty way that he faked a shooting/suicide on the side of the road.

Ultimately I think that the prosecutor was correct in saying that Alex couldn't live with the shame of being caught stealing millions and millions of dollars from his clients and even a couple of family members. He was definitely on pills....and all of the "paranoid thinking" he admitted to having most definitely could have led to him thinking that this was somehow a good idea.

So...that's my take. I expect that tomorrow we'll hear from the defense that yes....he's a liar and a thief. And yes, he lied about being at the kennels. But the investigation by officials and SLED was sloppy and phone/car data records alone does not remotely prove that he killed his wife and son.

I'm with the prosecution.....I think he did it.
It’s a riveting case for sure… I’ve been following since watching the first Dateline/48 hours episode a couple years ago, before the 2 murders(I think). The prosecution technically “has” a weapon, they know the exact weapons and whose weapons they were …they just don’t possess them. All it really shows is that there was a coverup, or worse, a plan including another person(s) to dispose of the murder weapons. The thing that really baffles me is knowing all the other trouble you’re in(with the financial crimes), why not come clean, admit guilt and negotiate a plea bargain? One of these cases against him will put him behind bars(IMO), so it’s not like he’s going to walk free long. The magnitude of these things is crushing him right before our eyes. Set your conscience free man!

Ive seen a lot of video clips of Alex, and not one shows a visible tear rolling down his cheek …not ONE.

Agree with all of your points 100%

I thought they explained well that Paul and Rogan were in a conversation, so for it to end at that time clearly showed Paul was unable to use his phone.

Alex calling Rogan like 5 times before even calling his own son that night seems obvious that he had tried to look at Paul’s phone. That was too odd to be a coincidence.

The weird part about his vigilante story is that he wants us to believe that someone was that angry and had so much hatred in their heart for Paul that they would stalk him (to know that he was at Moselle at all that day and that he would be at the kennels then), but that it wasn’t anyone connected to any of the people on the boat because they are good people. What rando would be so motivated to want to kill him but show up unarmed???? And why wouldn’t they just kill him on the drive there in his truck?

Alex screwed up by not recognizing that talking about those dogs peeing on every tree and so many details would show that they weren’t worried about someone else in the woods. Alex even fumbled by saying they weren’t barking at everyone and even gave an annoyed look. I hope they mention it again on their final statement, but I didn’t think the prosecution gave that detail the time it deserved. He finally brought it up after lunch, but he moved on so quickly!

I thought the same exact thing about "the boat people". Like...."All them kids and their parents are good people and wouldn't do this." If anyone was going to kill Paul and/or any of his family members it would have been the parents of Ms. Beach or the parents of the other boy that Alex was planning on pinning the accident on as the driver....even thought the other four testified that its as Paul. Or someone closely associated to those other kids.

Watching the Netflix doc it was obviously how the Alex Murdaugh branch of that family operated....as if they were above the law. Paul flipped his truck when he was driving drunk...his grandfather took care of it. Any time he was in trouble....the family got him out of it. Both Alex and Maggie Murdaugh facilitated an environment where underage kids were allowed to flat out party. This was a big drinking family. I knew a family in my area very similar to this crowd...not as wealthy and not a long legacy, but a local official who was also a lawyer....and his two sons were always in trouble, and always got out of it. They had a bar in the house, another outside...constant parties, drunk driving...etc. Eventually the youngest son wrapped his truck around a tree...he did survive and has done several stints in rehab the last I'd heard. It's just looking for trouble...and that's just with respect to the boating tragedy.

As for whether they spent enough time on the dogs...I'm not sure they did either. Despite all of the endless talk of pig hunting and how tall the shooter was...etc, it was Alex's behavior that stood out most to me, and the phone/car data. The guy who cared for the dogs, the housekeeper and his mother's caregiver all gave damning testimony. And it was obvious to me that all three of them had thought highly of this family....they seemed crushed to have to testify to Alex's lies. As for the dogs...many people have them and understand how they behave. I have the three most domesticated dogs on the planet....and if they sensed there was someone they didn't know in my yard, they'd go ballistic.

It’s a riveting case for sure… I’ve been following since watching the first Dateline/48 hours episode a couple years ago, before the 2 murders(I think). The prosecution technically “has” a weapon, they know the exact weapons and whose weapons they were …they just don’t possess them. All it really shows is that there was a coverup, or worse, a plan including another person(s) to dispose of the murder weapons. The thing that really baffles me is knowing all the other trouble you’re in(with the financial crimes), why not come clean, admit guilt and negotiate a plea bargain? One of these cases against him will put him behind bars(IMO), so it’s not like he’s going to walk free long. The magnitude of these things is crushing him right before our eyes. Set your conscience free man!

Ive seen a lot of video clips of Alex, and not one shows a visible tear rolling down his cheek …not ONE.

He must be thinking....."I need to get off on the murders and then I'll face the financial crimes and do cushier times". At least with the financial crimes he has a shot at being free some day. With a double murder....he'll do hard time/life. South Carolina also has the death penalty....has there been mention that it is on the table if he's convicted?

He may not be shedding tears, but he's a snotty mess when he's "crying"......I'd want to be in a hazmat suit if I was in the front few rows. ;).

I feel like he has nothing to lose, so why not keep rolling the dice. His whole entire professional life he has been able to lie and somehow come out of it fine, so the odds are in his favor to try.

If he’s found not guilty here, then it’s on to the financial crimes.

He pled not guilty to those! So who knows…maybe he pulls a judge who doesn’t let in his testimony from the trial or maybe a sympathetic juror won’t convict.

He will definitely get nailed for federal tax evasion - it’s the way the end up getting everyone - but that means a few years in an easy federal prison.

It’s a long shot, but it’s his only choice to ever have a chance at a life out of prison.

OH - so I was thinking about the guns and John Marvin. He rents heavy equipment. I’m sure he knows where they are using his machines and have big holes. Seems like that would be an easy way to dispose of the murder weapons and clothes.

Reactions: GAN
I feel like he has nothing to lose, so why not keep rolling the dice. His whole entire professional life he has been able to lie and somehow come out of it fine, so the odds are in his favor to try.

If he’s found not guilty here, then it’s on to the financial crimes.

He pled not guilty to those! So who knows…maybe he pulls a judge who doesn’t let in his testimony from the trial or maybe a sympathetic juror won’t convict.

He will definitely get nailed for federal tax evasion - it’s the way the end up getting everyone - but that means a few years in an easy federal prison.

It’s a long shot, but it’s his only choice to ever have a chance at a life out of prison.

OH - so I was thinking about the guns and John Marvin. He rents heavy equipment. I’m sure he knows where they are using his machines and have big holes. Seems like that would be an easy way to dispose of the murder weapons and clothes.

And...Paul was working for John Marvin that day....John Marvin mentioned it in talking about the whole switching of cars/trucks between them. He noted that Paul was really dirty....so perhaps he mentioned where he'd been working to his father when in the kennels. I mean....the Mozelle property itself is 1,700 acres. He could have hidden weapons/clothes anywhere initially, and went back in the following days to take care/dispose of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter