The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have always stayed at the Swan because of the Queen size beds but would like to try the Dolphin this time around because the hotel itself has more amenities for us (Fountain, restaurants we frequent, etc). Are the "extra long double beds" really just about the same as a Queen size mattress? Thanks!

We have always stayed at the Swan because of the Queen size beds but would like to try the Dolphin this time around because the hotel itself has more amenities for us (Fountain, restaurants we frequent, etc). Are the "extra long double beds" really just about the same as a Queen size mattress? Thanks!

Truthfully, there is a slight difference, but we have a queen at home and don't really mind. The amenities and atmosphere at the Dolphin win out for us every time !

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Are the "extra long double beds" really just about the same as a Queen size mattress? Thanks!

No. DH and I had to split up and each sleep with a kid. We will book the Swan from now on for anything longer than a night or two.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

It would be a no-brainer for me. The Epcot location can't be beat, and I love the Swan/Dolphin. There are also a fairly large number of posters who feel that S/D aren't "Disney" enough. I don't agree with that, but if you're looking for hidden Mickey's everywhere, then I guess they aren't "Disney" enough. I agree with Laura and would keep checking the rates.

For me too. The location is a huge plus. How great is it to be able to walk "home" after fireworks? It's huge. And the fun is just getting into full swing on Boardwalk at that time of night. You get spoiled staying at one of the Epcot resorts. For the two parks you have to bus too it seems like even more of a drag because the other 2 parks are so easy. I can't even imagine how much bussing to all 4 parks must suck.

You get spoiled staying at one of the Epcot resorts.

I found this to be so true! We stayed at Poly our very first trip with very young kids and it was great. Next trip we stayed BWI and fell in love with the Epcot area and Epcot/HS. We stayed BWI another time and then BC . As our kids became teens we decided we needed two rooms and stayed at CSR. CSR is a nice resort but location wise it is not even close to Epcot area resort location and the busing everywhere while mostly efficient did get very tedious by the end of 6 days. . Now we have converted over to Dolphin so we can still afford the two rooms but be in the area we want. :thumbsup2

The swan used to have concierge rooms. Did they do away with this option? I can't find them listed on the website when I check dates.

The swan used to have concierge rooms. Did they do away with this option? I can't find them listed on the website when I check dates.

Correct, both Swan and Dolphin stopped concierge level years ago (4 or 5 at least). :sad1:

Question - I can get an AARP rate of $181. (that includes taxes/fees) per night for a 6 night stay, end of September 2014, at the Dolphin. Is this a good rate? (It does not include the $20. resort fee per night).

Sometimes they will offer a deal where you stay 5 nights and get the 6th night free. You may need to be a Starwood Preferred Guest to get it, though. Actually, I think the SPG rates might be a few dollars cheaper.

Sometimes when you register for the SPG American Express Card, they give some generous signing bonuses. We were able to book with a Thanksgiving stay one year using the bonuses plus the 6th night free.

Sometimes they will offer a deal where you stay 5 nights and get the 6th night free. You may need to be a Starwood Preferred Guest to get it, though. Actually, I think the SPG rates might be a few dollars cheaper.

Sometimes when you register for the SPG American Express Card, they give some generous signing bonuses. We were able to book with a Thanksgiving stay one year using the bonuses plus the 6th night free.

As SPG Gold I've used the 5th night free option many times, book a 5 night award stay and get the fifth night free. I have 2 stays booked at the Swan and one at the Dolphin this year for 5 nights a piece. SPG points are already valuable, and this gets even more value out of them.

As SPG Gold I've used the 5th night free option many times, book a 5 night award stay and get the fifth night free. I have 2 stays booked at the Swan and one at the Dolphin this year for 5 nights a piece. SPG points are already valuable, and this gets even more value out of them.

You're right! It's 5th night free. I guess we always stay six so that's what I had in my mind.

Hi! :wave:

I'm a WDW veteran but considering a stay at the Swan or Dolphin for the first time. I was hoping that some of you could help clarify for me the differences between the two resorts.

Here are the differences as I understand them. Any clarifications or opinions are welcome!

Swan: smaller resort, perhaps quieter, queen beds, extra vanity/sink outside the bathroom

Dolphin: larger, perhaps more convention traffic, double beds, no extra vanity/sink, more rooms with balconies and more room categories/views, closest to the "feature" pool (vs. lap/quiet pools)

Am I missing anything? Which one would you recommend? We are targeting a long weekend in early May. Focus is Epcot F&G, relaxing by the pool and some good food!

Thanks! :)

Hi! :wave: I'm a WDW veteran but considering a stay at the Swan or Dolphin for the first time. I was hoping that some of you could help clarify for me the differences between the two resorts. Here are the differences as I understand them. Any clarifications or opinions are welcome! Swan: smaller resort, perhaps quieter, queen beds, extra vanity/sink outside the bathroom Dolphin: larger, perhaps more convention traffic, double beds, no extra vanity/sink, more rooms with balconies and more room categories/views, closest to the "feature" pool (vs. lap/quiet pools) Am I missing anything? Which one would you recommend? We are targeting a long weekend in early May. Focus is Epcot F&G, relaxing by the pool and some good food! Thanks! :)

If you are looking to relax by the pool, I would pick the Dolphin. The Cabana Bar is very nice and there are more options to pick a lounge chair! ;-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm a WDW veteran but considering a stay at the Swan or Dolphin for the first time. I was hoping that some of you could help clarify for me the differences between the two resorts.

Here are the differences as I understand them. Any clarifications or opinions are welcome!

Swan: smaller resort, perhaps quieter, queen beds, extra vanity/sink outside the bathroom

Dolphin: larger, perhaps more convention traffic, double beds, no extra vanity/sink, more rooms with balconies and more room categories/views, closest to the "feature" pool (vs. lap/quiet pools)

Am I missing anything? Which one would you recommend? We are targeting a long weekend in early May. Focus is Epcot F&G, relaxing by the pool and some good food!

If you have kids, the Dolphin might be a better choice, closer to Picabu and Fountain restaurants and laundry. I prefer the Swan, for the reasons you listed already. As for the pool area, it is essentially equidistant from both and all the amenities are available to both resorts. Depending location of your room in each resort, some rooms are actually further from their respective sides than the other (if that makes sense).

http://binged.it/1lYFR7f

If I were sharing a bed with someone, I would pick the Swan. I like the extra room.

We are back fro the Swan.

This trip was booked with dh ff miles and when we booked it the room was listed as double run of the house, so I didnt quite know what to expect when we checked in.

Happily we got a room on the 11th floor. It was nice. The only issue we had was a lack of plugs for the laptops and cell phones to charge etc. They were in short supply in our room. I think we found 1.

There were a lot of conventions going on when we were there.

I wanted to take a picture of dh and I with the lobby Swan. I said we would do it on our check out day. Well low and behold we go down there and they are draining out the water. Good bye picture. I know there is the green swan out in the garden area outside, but I wanted the white swan etc.

Oh and there was no problem wheeling our 3 suitcases onto the friendship to go switch resorts over to the beach club. I wills say that we did this before noon so maybe it was less crowded and not a problem.

Looking forward to our next trip. I think I will consider the Swan for our December trip. Anyone know if the baseball winter meeting will be here again. That may be a consideration. Also by then our youngest ds will have his nurses license so I will look into that and using dh ff miles again.

I would have liked to do the breakfast buffet at the garden grove but we didnt have time, oh well, there is always next time!

We are back fro the Swan.

This trip was booked with dh ff miles and when we booked it the room was listed as double run of the house, so I didnt quite know what to expect when we checked in.

Happily we got a room on the 11th floor. It was nice. The only issue we had was a lack of plugs for the laptops and cell phones to charge etc. They were in short supply in our room. I think we found 1.

There were a lot of conventions going on when we were there.

I wanted to take a picture of dh and I with the lobby Swan. I said we would do it on our check out day. Well low and behold we go down there and they are draining out the water. Good bye picture. I know there is the green swan out in the garden area outside, but I wanted the white swan etc.

Oh and there was no problem wheeling our 3 suitcases onto the friendship to go switch resorts over to the beach club. I wills say that we did this before noon so maybe it was less crowded and not a problem.

Looking forward to our next trip. I think I will consider the Swan for our December trip. Anyone know if the baseball winter meeting will be here again. That may be a consideration. Also by then our youngest ds will have his nurses license so I will look into that and using dh ff miles again.

I would have liked to do the breakfast buffet at the garden grove but we didnt have time, oh well, there is always next time!
Did you do a Swan/Beach Club split? Taking the Friendships is a great idea...last year we spent something like $15 to take a taxi between the two resorts. Will definitely keep that in mind for the next time.

PS - you can breathe easy...the baseball winter meetings are in San Diego this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter