The not so live version of dining w/ Disers, in Castles & on Safari! The Wrap! 2/26

We are returning Oct 22nd to 27th. Maybe we'll catch you on this trip. :)

I've enjoyed reading your dining reports. I have to agree with you about the Territory Lounge and Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch. Those are top on our list now. ::yes::

My dates are still TBD so thanks for sharing when you'll be there Sue.

Thank you for reading along! Our next trip will definitely include LTT but I need to see if we can squeeze in TL as well.

Bravo Brenda!!! :worship::worship::worship: Congrats on the completion of another awesome dining report. It amazes me that you have been able to juggle 2 dining reports and a trip report for the last few months and have done such a great job on all three. Perhaps you should be the host and reinstate the "live updates" part of the live dining thread once we are done with our joint dining report??? :idea:

{Don't worry, my friend...I'm totally just kidding! :lmao:}

THANK YOU Barb!!! I suppose you can say that I've juggled a couple reviews, not sure how successfully! I may have been on the verge of dropping a chain saw. ;)

Uhhhh NO! :rotfl2: I leave that in your capable hands my friend.

I love how you were still spreading pixie dust on the flight home :goodvibes

Wonderful wrap up, thank you for a lovely honest dining report :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading Jo. I'll have to give credit to the wonderful flight attendant for the spreading of pixie dust or at least the free alcohol!

Great wrap up! I really appreciate all the time you took to post everything and as always, I really enjoyed following along.

Thank you Jill. It is always a pleasure to re-live all the dining experiences. :) I'm so glad that you hung in there and stayed until the end.

mmmmmm. Shula's ... so tasty and you don't know what you are missing with that chocolate lava cake :goodvibes

I always justify my TIW savings with using that savings to book another trip:rolleyes1

Ha ha! I actually had a bite of the lava cake the first time we dined at Shula's. It was far too chocolaty for me so my taste buds say, 'thanks but no thanks'

That Disney math you know! ;) Actually I don't need much incentive to satisfy my Disney cravings so the TiW savings is just one more justification on why I MUST spend my savings on more Disney.

Ok, I have a question regarding two of the desserts at Shula's. I've only dined there once and chose the chocolate souffle...

It was very good and it looks very similar to their chocolate lava cake. For anyone that has tried both of these desserts, which did you prefer? I'm going to be joining Brenda and Paula & their hubbies for dinner there during our April/May trips, so I'm trying to decide which of these two desserts to order. Stick with the one I've tried and enjoyed or try the chocolate lava one. :confused3

I wish I knew... I've not made it as far as looking at a dessert menu. Em heard chocolate lava cake the first trip and said heck yeah! We'll have to figure this mystery out in May.

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous :worship:

I am so pleased Kona made your highlights list - it is a favourite of ours too.

However, I am now doubting my decision to take Sian to Yachtsman for her Birthday dinner and wondering if we should switch to Shula's instead :confused3

Hi Joh! If Kona wasn't in my top for breakfast something must be terribly wrong. It did have some lapses last time but I'll see if this is a trend next trip.

I may not be much help with your steakhouse dilemma but I can say that Shula's is hands-down better for the steaks. If you are not into the overt American football theming you may prefer YSH. I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Excellent as always Brenda. Thanks again for your wonderful and detailed reviews
:)

Thank you Linda! It was my pleasure to share.

I hope your business trip went well. :)

I've not commented much, but thank you for taking time to write these review. They are great ans so much fun to read! :flower3:

Thank you for reading and hanging in there until the end!! It is appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing your dining adventures with us! I always enjoy following along. Looking forward to the next one!:goodvibes

No problem, I enjoyed it.

Pop over to the live thread and starting on page 88 I am contributing to more dining reviews from our December trip. :)

Love your reviews as always! Can't wait for your next report!

Thank you Kristin! April/May should be another DR. It may be a combination version since I'm meeting up with a few DISers including Jabead (Barb) and Smile4Stamps (Paula.)

I definitely did not comment as much as I would have liked along the way... but I enjoyed every review from you and Em!

I loved the lists at the end!

Because of your reviews, I'm adding a few places to my wishlist:
Shula's (my DH is a HUGE Dolphins fan... not sure why we haven't been yet!)
Grand Floridian Afternoon Tea
The Plaza... I need the fries!

Thanks for another great DR!

Thank you Amy!

Ahhhh Shula's your hubby will thank you for booking that one! You should get big points for that one.

GF Afternoon tea is one that I will miss next trip but glad that you have that on your list!

As always great insightful reviews! I know you are super excited about your next trip!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thank you Lori! Yes, definitely anticipating another great Dis trip - this time just my hubby and me. (And a couple DISers.) :)

I hope al is well with your pregnancy.

I am just so behind in this! Thanks for the kona review! I am still deciding one night of our adrs (choosing between coral reef, kona, or tutto italia) so thanks for your review! Thanks for the call out too, not sure if it was me though!

Hi Rachel! No worries, you are here for the wrap! Yes, you were my inspiration for the Kona dinner. You were right, I loved this place.

Great wrap-up, Brenda! I sure will miss following along with your DR! Looking forward to the May trip! ;)

I guess I need to check out the Live Dining Thread - I've been intimidated by its length. :confused3 :laughing:

As noted below.... you don't have to miss anything! You can follow along with the current reviews from December. Lucky you! ;)

Our joint dining report from our December trip (of which Brenda plays a major role) started on Page 88 of the live thread. We are about half done and are currently on Page 110, so you are not too far behind and there's plenty more to come. So there is no need to wait until May to read more of Brenda's great dining reviews, come join us now on the live thread. :thumbsup2

Yes, EVERYONE should read this! :)

As always, thank you for sharing your wisdom & yummy finds, Brenda! You have definitely inspired me to try some new things! Not to mention the fact that you've taught me a lot about how to save, which Rich thanks you for. :) I cannot wait for the next one & I will definitely be going through this one again to add a few to my "must try" list. You are wonderful!

Thank you Jennifer. Glad to help!

Just about to hit the sack for the wake-up call for the limo to the airport in the morning, but I saw this and had to comment.

I love your recap (although I'm still sorry you didn't enjoy your French onion soup at BOG...mine was Really, really good).

Love your "need improvements" and love your why did we never do and we will be back to the favorites.

I have to go back and read your Kona dinner review because I'm eating there for the first time in May/June with the girls.

Kathy, I hope you are enjoying your trip.

I'm taking Michael to Kona for dinner too - it can't be missed. I hope you like it as well.

Awesome reviews, awesome report. Not much more to say but awesome! And thanks for sharing!!

Thank you so much! I'm glad that you read along.

Brenda,

I'm always a little sad when your dining reports come to end. But there's still the live dining thread to keep up with and I know you will have another trip soon.

Thanks again for all the effort you put into your reports. I enjoy them so much!

Thanks Rachel! Exactly, the live dining thread should satisfy any withdrawals.

Thanks for all the great reviews.:goodvibes

Thank you! You're sweet!

Excellent wrap up to another wonderful dining review Brenda! I thoroughly enjoyed reading all about your culinary adventures and I think it was wonderful that you chose to spread a little pixie dust on the flight home. That flight attendant sounds like he'd make a great CM! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing with us. :goodvibes

Barb, We enjoyed reading your Dinning report and look forward to the next one.

As most Dining Board regulars know, Em and I traveled with a group of Disers that frequent the dining boards. Our group enjoyed more than a dozen meals together. For our travel dates of 12/5 through 12/15, we had 23 ADRs for the 11 days. The following restaurants are included in my reviews for the live dining thread:

Day 1
1. Boardwalk Bakery – late dinner

Day 2
2. Whispering Canyon Café –Breakfast
3. Chefs de France – CP Lunch
4. Citricos – Dinner

Day 3
5. Crystal Palace – Breakfast
6. Yak & Yeti – Lunch
7. Yachtsman Steakhouse – Dinner

Day 4
8. Kona Café – Breakfast
9. Grand Floridian Gardenview Lounge – Afternoon Tea
10. California Grill – Dinner

Day 5
11. Kouzzina - Breakfast
12. Via Napoli - Lunch
13. 50’s Prime Time Café – Dinner

Day 6
14. Akershus – Breakfast
15. Liberty Tree Tavern – Lunch

Day 7
16. Rose & Crown – Lunch (new for us)
17. Territory Lounge – Cocktails and Appetizers

Day 8
18. Grand Flo Café – Breakfast
19. Plaza Restaurant – Lunch
20. Teppan Edo – CP Dinner

Day 9
21. Captain’s Grille – Breakfast
22. Shula’s – Dinner

Day 10
23. The Wave - Breakfast
24. La Cantina de San Angel - Lunch
25. Kona Café – Dinner

Thus concludes this dining review. The dining reviews for the meals for the December trip are found on Barb’s live dining thread here.

And that as they say is a wrap!

Thank you for reading and following along!! :thanks:

Another fantastic review!

Can't wait for your next trip!

Jill in CO

Excellent wrap up to another wonderful dining review Brenda! I thoroughly enjoyed reading all about your culinary adventures and I think it was wonderful that you chose to spread a little pixie dust on the flight home. That flight attendant sounds like he'd make a great CM! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing with us. :goodvibes

Thank you Carol! I enjoyed sharing.

That flight attendant was so sweet.

Barb, We enjoyed reading your Dinning report and look forward to the next one.

Thanks! We are up to Via Napoli in the live dining thread so if you haven't followed along yet, pop over to Barb's thread. ;)

Another fantastic review!

Can't wait for your next trip!

Jill in CO

Thanks Jill!

Ohh NO say it ain't so Brenda......

I have followed this report since it's inception and will have to admit I will be going through some serious addiction withdrawals now that it's over.:scared1:

I have loved this trip report the past several months and actually allowed myself to be swayed into booking Monsieur Paul for my trip in December based on your review and experience... I did not regret it for a moment and will be going back again in June. Great job Brenda! :worship:

Looking forward to your next TR. :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing. You've given me some good ideas for our trip in August! Just curious have you ever been to Victoria & Alberts? I just booked us (just me and hubby) for August. I can't wait. He isn't convinced....yet but I figured if we don't go this time we'll never go!

Ohh NO say it ain't so Brenda......

I have followed this report since it's inception and will have to admit I will be going through some serious addiction withdrawals now that it's over.:scared1:

I have loved this trip report the past several months and actually allowed myself to be swayed into booking Monsieur Paul for my trip in December based on your review and experience... I did not regret it for a moment and will be going back again in June. Great job Brenda! :worship:

Looking forward to your next TR. :thumbsup2

Oh Bob, you are so kind! Thank you.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed Monsieur Paul. It was a surprise favorite of the trip for us as well. I'm looking forward to returning in a couple months as well. :)

Thank you for reading and following along.

Thanks for sharing. You've given me some good ideas for our trip in August! Just curious have you ever been to Victoria & Alberts? I just booked us (just me and hubby) for August. I can't wait. He isn't convinced....yet but I figured if we don't go this time we'll never go!

Thanks, I'm glad to have planted some ideas for future dining for you!

I have not done V&A yet. We almost booked for our May trip before they no longer accept Tables in Wonderland discounts. I may regret it since I hear that it is an amazing experience. I'd be interested to hear what you think of V&A in August.

Great wrap up.

Thanks Scott!

So sad that your dining report is over! I have really enjoyed reading your reviews! They were fun, enlightening and a joy to read!

Oh Bob, you are so kind! Thank you.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed Monsieur Paul. It was a surprise favorite of the trip for us as well. I'm looking forward to returning in a couple months as well. :)

Thank you for reading and following along.

Thanks, I'm glad to have planted some ideas for future dining for you!

I have not done V&A yet. We almost booked for our May trip before they no longer accept Tables in Wonderland discounts. I may regret it since I hear that it is an amazing experience. I'd be interested to hear what you think of V&A in August.

Thanks Scott!

I can't wait to try Monsieur Paul!! And It's not to late to add V&A's... but what would we take out?!!? :rotfl2:

So sad that your dining report is over! I have really enjoyed reading your reviews! They were fun, enlightening and a joy to read!

Thanks Kimmy! I'm glad you joined.

I can't wait to try Monsieur Paul!! And It's not to late to add V&A's... but what would we take out?!!? :rotfl2:

Argh! I know, I know!! :) I'm the one that doubted that one. I don't want to give up anything! I need a longer trip.

Thank you Carol! I enjoyed sharing.

That flight attendant was so sweet.

Thanks! We are up to Via Napoli in the live dining thread so if you haven't followed along yet, pop over to Barb's thread. ;)

Thanks Jill!

Brenda , what is Barbs dinning thread listed under ??? thanks

Thanks Kimmy! I'm glad you joined.

Argh! I know, I know!! :) I'm the one that doubted that one. I don't want to give up anything! I need a longer trip.

Yeah... me either!! The only thing I MIGHT be willing to give up was Flying Fish but I know you have never been there so better to keep that one I think...

Day 6: Wed. August 21, 2013  50s PT Café Lunch

DSCN5549.jpg

Good thing we were in the mood for some comfort food with a side of sarcasm because we were having lunch at 50s PT Café. We had a 12:30pm reservation which we expected to be peak lunch crowds but when we arrived the check in line was out the door. The Cast Member was asking only one person from each party to check in and the rest could wait in the lobby.

DSCN5552.jpg

Once we were checked in (darn, our favorite waiter, Cooper, wasnt working) we didnt have long to wait for our table. The gal hollered for the Brenda party, its time to eat!

DSCN5593.jpg

We were seated at one of the TV tables with Donna as our server. We really liked Donna despite being antic-light she was very friendly and at the end of the meal we found that we had an interesting connection&..
I set the table without being told and I barely put my elbows on the table so we were off to a great start!

DSCN5555.jpg

DSCN5588.jpg

Menu:

DSCN5559.jpg

DSCN5560.jpg

DSCN5561.jpg

Without looking at the menu we knew what we wanted  the kids chicken meal which consists of 2 small pieces of chicken (leg and a thigh) and a scoop of mashed potatoes, no gravy. We also ordered a side of green beans since we needed some veggies to justify dessert right?

Kid's Fried Chicken meal ($4.49)
DSCN5575.jpg

Side of Green Beans ($3.99)
DSCN5574.jpg

DSCN5572.jpg

This was perfect in every way from the portion size to the perfectly battered and fried chicken to the savory mashed potatoes. The green beans were garlicky and had a lone baby carrot snuck in there for a splash of color. Not that I expect cooked to order green beans but I would love to get a batch that has not sat around long enough to make them limp and lifeless. I prefer them with a little more al dente texture.

We didnt need the choo-choo or airplane treatment since I pretty much hogged all the veggies and cleaned the plate. I definitely earned dessert at that point. We decided to split a hot fudge sundae. By splitting that actually means that I ate everything but the ice-cream. The fudgy whip cream was so good. Now some of you observant people are thinking, hey, she doesnt like chocolate right? And heres where I share that Ive gradually become tolerant of a few chocolate things  hot fudge being one of them as long as it is not alone. In this case fudge topped with whip cream was just perfect.

Hot Fudge Sundae ($5.49)
IMG_0315.jpg

DSCN5578.jpg

DSCN5584.jpg

Why is the fudge all gone??
null-1924.jpg

Hey, where did the view finders go? They had them, then they didnt, then they had them last February, and now they didnt this trip. I may not order dessert every time but I want to play with the view finders to see the pretty dessert photos!! For those not familiar, they have the dessert menu on view finders. Very fun indeed!!

Using TiW, the bill was almost a joke  it was less than $20 with dessert and 18% automatic gratuity. Crazy huh? (I just noticed that we were not charged for our drinks. I didnt see that before.)

DSCN5579.jpg

DSCN5568.jpg

I wrote in my trip notes that this meal redeemed my decision to keep this in our dining line up since most meals here have been forgettable and certainly are not enjoyed for the exciting cuisine. However, this was perfect and the break from the heat was most welcome.

We were chatting with Donna when we were ready to leave and she was telling us crazy guest stories. For example... the woman who demanded her discount with an expired TiW card. Sorry lady no can do. Then Donna mentioned that she had worked at Hollywood Brown Derby. I asked if she knew the waiter we had from our disastrous dinner last summer. She said she trained with him&. Ohhhhh. Too bad he wasnt as nice as her. For reference, here's a link to the infamous HBD dining review from last summer. And since this was the longest HBD dining review ever, here's part two where the drama really escalated. (And no, I never mentioned the name of the server since everyone can have a bad day and I don't want to say this was characteristic of his service. It just happened to be our experience. )

DSCN5589.jpg

Next Up: Monsieur Paul

But Wait... Bonus content for CL Evening Appetizers first

Hello! I have long lurked on your dining reports! I finally had to say hello and you can really order the children's potion at 50's? I didn't know this but will for sure book a lunch here for our next trip if so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter