The Official 2013 Fall Professional Internship Thread!

I've just applied to my first Professional Internship and received an immediate email rejection? Could I have done something wrong in the application process or has this happened to other people that apply?

It could be that you didn't meet the qualifications. I've heard that they use tracking software to scan resumes, so you need to tailor your resume to each specific resume.

Were you rejected for more than one? Are there others you are still interested in applying to? If so I would apply for another with a more carefully crafted resume

So now that the positions have been posted for a few days, What ones are you interested in applying to?

I haven't applied yet, as I'm trying to make sure my resume and digital portfolio are just right but I am interested in

Lodging MI

Alumni Only: Guest Relations, Park Event Operations Assistant, Cast Activities, Events and Recognition. (Maybe Guest Correspondence or Services for Guests with Disabilities)

Regular PIs:
Catering and Convention Services
Disney Fairytale Weddings
Recruitment Marketing Graphic Design Internship
Distribution Marketing Services Graphic Design Internship
Disney Institute Graphic Design Internship
Graphic Design - Communications Internship
Communications Internship
Yellow Shoes Associate Art Director/Graphic Design Internship

Maybe this one - Yellow Shoes Associate Copywriter Internship :confused3

It seems like a lot but but 4 of the Graphic Design ones are essentially the same position, just in different departments. I know they say you shouldn't apply to a lot because it makes you look bad, but I can't see the difference in only apply to 2 vs all 4 if they are essentially the same position.

Disappointed not to see any availabilities in Imagineering, or any other opportunities for those with a background in architecture, design or construction management. :worried: I was really excited to try for an Imagineering PI, but after some further research, it sounds like internships in Imagineering only open up on an "as-needed basis." There go my immediate plans for working for Disney my first few months out of college when I graduate this spring... unless I either do a second CP or try for a PI in a field I don't have experience in, which I might at this point.

I've just applied to my first Professional Internship and received an immediate email rejection? Could I have done something wrong in the application process or has this happened to other people that apply?

it happens when you answer no to any of those questions at the end of the application. Like if it asks if you are fluent in another language and you say no, then you are out. Or it asks if you can do or are familiar with xyz (something specific to the job) and you say no, then you are out.

I had one go instant NLIC but I knew it would when it asked about other languages.

Disappointed not to see any availabilities in Imagineering, or any other opportunities for those with a background in architecture, design or construction management. :worried: I was really excited to try for an Imagineering PI, but after some further research, it sounds like internships in Imagineering only open up on an "as-needed basis." There go my immediate plans for working for Disney my first few months out of college when I graduate this spring... unless I either do a second CP or try for a PI in a field I don't have experience in, which I might at this point.

I'm surprised there isn't something. Did you search by keyword or look through each and every one? I originally searched by keyword and it missed 2 that I found by going page by page.

So now that the positions have been posted for a few days, What ones are you interested in applying to?

I haven't applied yet, as I'm trying to make sure my resume and digital portfolio are just right but I am interested in

Lodging MI

Alumni Only: Guest Relations, Park Event Operations Assistant, Cast Activities, Events and Recognition. (Maybe Guest Correspondence or Services for Guests with Disabilities)

Regular PIs:
Catering and Convention Services
Disney Fairytale Weddings
Recruitment Marketing Graphic Design Internship
Distribution Marketing Services Graphic Design Internship
Disney Institute Graphic Design Internship
Graphic Design - Communications Internship
Communications Internship
Yellow Shoes Associate Art Director/Graphic Design Internship

Maybe this one - Yellow Shoes Associate Copywriter Internship :confused3

It seems like a lot but but 4 of the Graphic Design ones are essentially the same position, just in different departments. I know they say you shouldn't apply to a lot because it makes you look bad, but I can't see the difference in only apply to 2 vs all 4 if they are essentially the same position.

Unless you've worked as a caterer or as a wedding planner, I wouldn't waste my time applying for those. They are extremely competitive esp the wedding one and very highly qualified people still get NLIC'd. There are only 2-4 spots for the wedding one each semester. And they make no sense as everything else you are looking at is graphic design.

I would narrow your focus to the graphic design ones. Focus on figuring out how you will explain to/show them that you meet each and every one of the preferred and basic qualifications on each and every internship you apply for. Show them how bringing you onto the team will make their department work better and how your experience/skills sets you apart from the crowd.

I am so glad that someone has started this thread! I am currently in the process of applying for professional internships for the first time and reading some of the old threads have been so helpful and insightful to the process and what to expect! It's also really nice to hear that everyone is in the same boat as me!

My name is Ashley and I am still currently "in progress" for a lodging management internship and college alumni internship (I completed two internships in housekeeping in 2008 & 2010). I have my first phone interview this Thursday at 11:30 and I am so nervous!! If any of you have already gone through you interview any advice would be really helpful!!

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for posting on this thread. It's really helpful!

Unless you've worked as a caterer or as a wedding planner, I wouldn't waste my time applying for those. They are extremely competitive esp the wedding one and very highly qualified people still get NLIC'd. There are only 2-4 spots for the wedding one each semester. And they make no sense as everything else you are looking at is graphic design.

I have two years experience in event planning, where I was the sole person in charge of planning events for groups of 20 to 300. I have a broad range of skills because I have 2 majors and 2 minors. Hopefully by looking at my resume it makes sense.

I have two years experience in event planning, where I was the sole person in charge of planning events for groups of 20 to 300. I have a broad range of skills because I have 2 majors and 2 minors. Hopefully by looking at my resume it makes sense.

As long as it makes sense by your resume then go for it. :thumbsup2

I'm sure everything depends on which PIs you apply for, but in marketing are there usually many spots for each? are they more competitive than others? I know there's a ton of different ones in marketing/business but I haven't really picked any specifically haha.

Hi fellow PI hopefuls! :wave2:

After a recent trip to visit the mouse, I've decided to move there... permanently! (I'm over Colorado winters!) I'm excited to be able to apply for these internships, but I'm wondering if I don't get one if I should apply to the CP....?

Also, does anyone know what the pay difference is between PI and CP? Or how much do you make in the CP?

Good luck to you all!!

After a recent trip to visit the mouse, I've decided to move there... permanently! (I'm over Colorado winters!) I'm excited to be able to apply for these internships, but I'm wondering if I don't get one if I should apply to the CP....?

Also, does anyone know what the pay difference is between PI and CP? Or how much do you make in the CP?

Good luck to you all!!

Many people apply to the CP as a back up. Because you need to be in school or on a CP to apply for a PI. I'm applying to the CP for this season too. If you accept a CP role and then you are offered a PI they will let you transfer your program fees as well. So really no worries there!

The pay difference varies. I believe most CP roles are $7.60 to $9 an hour while PI ranges from $11 to upwards of $18.

I was in the same boat. I was looking for a WDI or parks engineering PI but there is only a WDW engineering PI that I can find. As far as WDI there is a Contracts Administrator that I am going for which from the description I believe is in the Engineering department over there. I figure an in with WDI is an in, even if its not exactly in the field I want. So I would look at that one (requisition id 81052BR). I am also going to apply for CP (deciding between WDW and DLR). I applied for CP my junior year but didn't get it at DLR. I got all the way to interviews. I am graduating in May so if I don't get a PI I want to have another opportunity to apply.

I just kinda wanted to introduce myself. I am Callie and a mechanical engineering student graduating in May. I would love to work for WDI in there ride design department. I plan on applying for some PIs and also CP like others.

The PIs I am going for are:
-WDW Engineer (summer)
-WDI Contract Administrator
-ESPN Engineer (summer) (though I am pretty sure I'm going to NILC on this one because of when I am graduating)
-Sourcing & Procurement (summer)
-Mission Critical Facilities

Good luck to you all!!

I would for sure apply for a CP for a back up, especially if you are moving permanently. That's exactly what I did. I'm glad because I obviously didn't get a PI when I was planning to. Some days I regret doing another CP because it feels like a step backwards instead of moving forwards and CPs get no benefits like full time does. People often ask me why I didn't just apply for full time prior to moving here and I have 2 reasons. 1. CP was a guaranteed job and job start date. Wait lists for full time roles can vary in length so I wanted something secure when I got here. 2. I wanted one last shot to apply for PIs and since I graduated being in the CP lets me still be eligible and keep "student" status.

I also found out that you can apply for full time while on your CP. I believe someone told me it was up to 6 weeks before your program's end date. So, depending on wait list length, it's possible to have a full time position waiting for you when your program ends. That's the tactic I'll be using if I don't get a PI (again :rolleyes:)

Good luck!

Okay I sent in my application for Alumni Only positions. Now I need to focus on my MI and other PIs! I didn't realize how stressful it would be to update my resume and cover letter for each one! I really want to take my time to make sure they are getting my best effort! :)

Hi everyone! I just applied for some PIs and I am so excited! I have my first phone interview on Thursday and I'm super nervous!:goodvibes

Hey everyone, I did a CP back in Spring 2010 and stayed seasonal for the past 3 years. I'm interested in the PI for my major in accounting. The problem is, I'll be taking a summer class from June-Aug and won't be available until mid-Aug. Is the PI a 6 month long program or is it like a CP where it starts towards the end of August-January. What are the chances for finance/accounting roles? Thanks!

Hey everyone, I did a CP back in Spring 2010 and stayed seasonal for the past 3 years. I'm interested in the PI for my major in accounting. The problem is, I'll be taking a summer class from June-Aug and won't be available until mid-Aug. Is the PI a 6 month long program or is it like a CP where it starts towards the end of August-January. What are the chances for finance/accounting roles? Thanks!

SFGADV02: I participated in the Accounting/Finance PI. They take in a large number of participants (somewhere between 20-30, varies each time based on budgets, need etc). Unfortunately, it is 6 months and all participants start in late June for the Fall. This is necessary as there is a lot of group training, classes and presentations etc.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter