*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Even though we are DL pros, I find WDW planning to be a bit stressful! This is our 2nd trip and we will likely make a few ADRs at a few places we don't want to miss out on. Last trip we did BOG dinner, Sanaa dinner (DS went to the kids club but he is old enough now to enjoy this), LTT lunch, Nine Dragons lunch, Rose & Crown lunch and Y&Y lunch.

So far we are planning:
BOG dinner
Sanaa dinner
California Grill (so we can also watch the fireworks from there)

We are debating Chef de France and Le Cellier, although being Canadian we may be leaning more towards CdF. DH wants to do Sci-Fi but I'm on the fence. We are not big on either buffets or Character meals so that cuts a bunch out of the list of possibilities.

I'd definitely consider SciFi if you're planning on spending time at HS. The atmosphere is cool and even though the food is nothing fancy, it's good and relatively cheap. I really just don't enjoy the food at HS.

Joining in with all of you August trip planners! I am taking my 14 year old niece for her first onsite trip and we are staying at Wilderness Lodge with a magical deal. Currently we are planning on arriving August 19th and staying through the 26th. This is my 7th Disney trip since 2009 and I love everything about it! My niece has been to Disney previously in 2009 and 2010 but has never stayed onsite before. I am so excited to share this experience with her!

We are planning on ordering breakfast items/snacks from Instacart to have in the room and will pay OOP for meals. Right now I am thinking of the following ADRs that I think Clare will enjoy;

Breakfast at Trails End
Brunch (late morning reservation) at Tusker House
Lunch at Sci-Fi Dine In
Dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe
Dinner at Yak and Yeti

Plus many delicious snacks and CS meals around the parks. I look forward to sharing in the planning adventures with all of you!

I'd definitely consider SciFi if you're planning on spending time at HS. The atmosphere is cool and even though the food is nothing fancy, it's good and relatively cheap. I really just don't enjoy the food at HS.

The one park where we were seriously underwhelmed about the food on our last WDW trip was HS. I think I'll add Sci-Fi to my ADR list if the food is good.

Last time we did 6 days split 1xHS, MK and 2X AK, Epcot. This time we are getting 7 day tix with a rest day/water park day in the middle. At the moment the plan is 2X at MK, AK and Epcot and 1X at HS.

So not a fan of the QS choices at HS. We often book Sci Fi for lunch -- their sandwiches are great for sharing! And then book either Mama Melrose or 50's Prime Time (both excellent!) for dinner.

So not a fan of the QS choices at HS. We often book Sci Fi for lunch -- their sandwiches are great for sharing! And then book either Mama Melrose or 50's Prime Time (both excellent!) for dinner.

Thanks for the sandwich tip! We are not really big eaters so sharable means are always a good thing.

We looked at 50’s Prime Time last trip but DS is autistic so we felt he would get upset if he was told off by the servers for using electronics at the table. He will be 13 when we got and he was only 10 last time so he may be able to deal with the teasing.

We are pretty set on only spending one day at HS so we will only need a maximum of one lunch and one dinner there. We are planning on Sanaa for dinner as well at California Grill so we may plan one of those two on our HS day.

Ooooohhh i totally forgot about Sci-Fi, i loved it when we ate there before.
I posted before we were going to do Akershus for breakfast, but when i figured up the cost it just didn't seem worth it. This will be our first time paying OOP for dining and i guess i'm suffering from sticker shock:earseek: I know we pay for food one way or the other with free dining but i'm of the out of sight out of mind mindset...if i don't see how much i'm paying, it doesn't matter.

Our new list looks like this...
Breakfast
'Ohana

Lunch/Dinner
'Ohana
50's Prime Time
Hoop Dee Doo
Sci-Fi

I'm also considering the Fantasmic dining package. I did it before, it was great, and the seats were awesome, but there were 7 of us that needed seats and i didn't want to take the chance of not being able to find something. I wonder if it would be easier to find seating for 3.

Thanks for the sandwich tip! We are not really big eaters so sharable means are always a good thing.

We looked at 50’s Prime Time last trip but DS is autistic so we felt he would get upset if he was told off by the servers for using electronics at the table. He will be 13 when we got and he was only 10 last time so he may be able to deal with the teasing.

We are pretty set on only spending one day at HS so we will only need a maximum of one lunch and one dinner there. We are planning on Sanaa for dinner as well at California Grill so we may plan one of those two on our HS day.

My youngest daughter (she'll be 16 in a few weeks) is autistic and she LOVES 50's Prime Time! We don't even have to tell the server in most instances as my daughter is non-verbal and stims quite a bit. They've NEVER said a thing to her about having electronics at the table, not finishing her vegetables, etc. So it's not been an issue -- I didn't want that to stop you from trying it! It's an awesome restaurant.

Just did a deposit for Aug 12-17 at the Poly, club level. We haven't been to Disney in years, but went to Universal/SeaWorld last July.
I'm thinking club level and no dining plan for us. We will probably be back and forth from the room to the parks. We did club level at Universal last year and bought almost no food! I hope the crowds have died down, my kids don't want to miss school, so we're going before it starts for them.

My youngest daughter (she'll be 16 in a few weeks) is autistic and she LOVES 50's Prime Time! We don't even have to tell the server in most instances as my daughter is non-verbal and stims quite a bit. They've NEVER said a thing to her about having electronics at the table, not finishing her vegetables, etc. So it's not been an issue -- I didn't want that to stop you from trying it! It's an awesome restaurant.

Thanks for their info! DS is pretty verbal and most of his issues are only noticeable when they are, if that makes sense? I’ve always said that when he is having a good day, it hard to tell that he is not neuro-typical unless you know what to look for. When he is not having a good day, it is hard to not notice. He is at a hard age where he hates being singled out as being “different” and he gets upset when it happens.

I may look for videos of what 50’s is like, show it to him and see what he thinks!

Well, we are still way over a year out, but we are already planning for 2018. So, if you are going to WDW in August of 2018 come in and join the fun.

DSC_0444_zpsj8gk0icl.jpg
So glad to join this thread and like-minded planners and collaborators! We're going august 25- sept 1. Staying at the beach club villas.

We enjoyed Sci-Fi last trip and I would definetly recommend it, especially the shakes! Mama Melrose’s has always been good with the F! Package too. We will be hitting HS on our arrival night, so we will probably pick up some CS somewhere - not planning on seeing F! this time. Hmmm... maybe I should consider booking Sci-Fi for a later ADR? I hate that you get charged for no shows, that would stink if we got delayed with our flight and miss it. Decisions. Better to book it and contemplate about it later though I suppose.

Aladora - Sci-Fi is a nice, cool relaxed retreat for a while. The old drive-in ads, the cars, etc. are all a great distraction while you wait for your meal. My HFA daughter had a blast (but she was 6, almost 7), and with August heat it is the perfect way to get out of the sun and heat and just chill. I don’t think she could handle 50’s, so I know what you mean.

I haven't really nailed down our ADR's for August yet, but DH and I DID book an extra trip! We are going down kid-free next month and staying at AKL! I can't wait. We haven't had a vacation alone together since our honeymoon almost 16 years ago!

Let me know if you'd like me to check anything out while I'm down there....reconnaissance for August! :magnify:

Just did a deposit for Aug 12-17 at the Poly, club level. We haven't been to Disney in years, but went to Universal/SeaWorld last July.
I'm thinking club level and no dining plan for us. We will probably be back and forth from the room to the parks. We did club level at Universal last year and bought almost no food! I hope the crowds have died down, my kids don't want to miss school, so we're going before it starts for them.

We were at Poly CL last August and it was wonderful! They had a pretty decent selection of food in the lounge.

We are tweaking our plans a bit, still going Aug. 10 - 18, but staying at Pop the first two nights. We are going to get the DDP for the Pop portion of the stay and do OOP while at AoA.

Loose ADR's are:
BOG - Breakfast
Liberty Tree Tavern (DW wants to go back due to fond memories of the pot roast)
Coral Reef
H&V Fantasmic Package (DD4 chose this over MM due to the characters)
CP - Breakfast
BOG - Dinner
CRT - Breakfast

My head is spinning trying to "perfect" my days. :scratchin Not really...I'm just having fun obsessing over the trip and toying with every scenario right now!
:earboy2:

Lurking for a bit and decided to jump in! We are planning to head back to WDW after a 4 years...just in time too since we are missing Disney so badly. We often have to go to the local Disney Outlet store nearby just for a fix lately :oops:. Will head down there August 18 to September 1 at POP to celebrate my oldest daughter's high school graduation.

We are a little concerned about the heat and crowds (and especially the humidity). Hoping the extended time will help us to feel okay about taking our time. Hoping for some tips from the seasoned August travelers.

Last edited:
Lurking for a bit and decided to jump in! We are planning to head back to WDW after a 4 years...just in time too since we are missing Disney so badly. We often have to go to the local Disney Outlet store nearby just for a fix lately :oops:. Will head down there August 18 to September 1 at POP to celebrate my oldest daughter's high school graduation.

We are a little concerned about the heat and crowds (and especially the humidity). Hoping the extended time will help us to feel okay about taking our time. Hoping for some tips from the seasoned August travelers.

We go the last 2 weeks of August every year. Love it!!! We find crowd levels to be moderate/low this time of year. Sometimes it can feel more crowded just because of the heat. Crowd levels during your second week will be lower than your first week. Fortunately, you're going for two weeks and you can take your time. :thumbsup2

My biggest tip is to alternate between shoes every day, especially on a two week trip. Your feet will thank you! Plus it will give your shoes time to dry out if you're caught in an August downpour.

Booked our flights earlier this week for our August 15-29 trip, staying @ Pop. I know its still far away but its finally starting to feel "real". Starting to plan out or TS meals and think about things we want to do on our off days. Hoping to get to MNSSHP on our last night (fingers crossed). Not buying tickets until we get there probably, last time we went it rained most of the night, we still had a great time but I felt it was less worth it because of the rain. Does anyone have any insight on the weather during that time?

Ohh yay. I just now came across this thread. I'm going Aug 18-25 and staying at Pop. Eventually, I want to be part of a Memory Maker group. So, if you're interested, let me know!!

Booked our flights earlier this week for our August 15-29 trip, staying @ Pop. I know its still far away but its finally starting to feel "real". Starting to plan out or TS meals and think about things we want to do on our off days. Hoping to get to MNSSHP on our last night (fingers crossed). Not buying tickets until we get there probably, last time we went it rained most of the night, we still had a great time but I felt it was less worth it because of the rain. Does anyone have any insight on the weather during that time?

Always sticky, hot and humid. There is usually a brief downpour mid afternoon, but it's very unpredictable. You could spend the day at MK in the blazing hot sun, while your friend gets soaked at AK at the same time.

We are officially booked! August 6-11th at POP Century. We took over a year hiatus from our magic place to get married, and now we are taking my little brothers ( 19 and 17) on a trip before we start having kiddos of our own! We booked summer dining deal package, and upgraded to regular dining. The price was a little steeper than I had originally thought it would be- but nevertheless we are REALLY excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter