*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

This is our mentality...heat or crowds, but not both lol late August is great, and is when we take most of our trips

As of late, I have found that even in the last two weeks of August, there are still significant crowds.

I think the heat is manageable if you are prepared. We enjoyed our afternoon breaks at the pool, waterparks, etc. We also would freeze a couple bottles of Smart water overnight and take those into the parks with us, plus a squirted fan that we picked up from Walgreens before our trip. Lots of Neutrogena SPF 70 sunscreen for the faces, tank tops, mostly sandals/flip flops (Teva Mush for me) and 2 waterpark days. We had FD for late August in 2015, I want to say that came out in April? SUPER low crowds - our Epcot day was a 1 out of 10, and there were literally only a handful of people in world showcase when it opened! Hoping it will be similar.

I agree that the heat is plenty manageable. We use long meal times for our afternoon break, often at a table service. Smart water is DD's favorite. I try to bring at least one bottle of Powerade Zero with me into the park, and drink one on the way to the parks in the morning in order to help keep electrolytes up. I made the mistake of allowing myself to become dehydrated, and then messing up my electrolyte balance trying to rehydrate. I wound up getting a tour of Celebration hospital Great hospital, but I don't recommend taking time to tour it during vacation lol.

Sunscreen is an absolute must. We use an aerosol for arms, legs, neck etc, and then a stick for the face.

I have never been a sandals kind of guy, BUT . . . Teva's (with socks, much to my wife's dismay, don't judge lol) are a godsend. I switch back and forth between them, and my Nike sneakers.

A few years ago, I agree, the crowds at the end of August were great. DD and I were able to SIT in the hub to watch Wishes years ago. Now . . . no, it's crowded even in the end of August. Maybe not as bad as July, but much more crowded than it was a few years back. I wouldn't count on EPCOT being a 1 out of 10, or anything that even resembles only a handful of people in World Showcase when it opens. I haven't seen anything like that in the last few years.

All this talk about heat and rain are starting to worry me! (Not that we can change our dates, flights have been paid for, DVC points have been rented) but how hot and rainy are we in for? We're from Vancouver Island so things rarely get hotter than 28C (82F) during the summer. We've gone to DL in August and September and it's been as high as 40C+ (104F) on a few trips.

Also, I am not sure when the last update was to the list of people going in August but we are not on there yet and to be honest, I can't remember if I posted our dates yet! We are going Aug 21-30, staying at AKL on rented DVC points. :)

All this talk about heat and rain are starting to worry me! (Not that we can change our dates, flights have been paid for, DVC points have been rented) but how hot and rainy are we in for? We're from Vancouver Island so things rarely get hotter than 28C (82F) during the summer. We've gone to DL in August and September and it's been as high as 40C+ (104F) on a few trips.

Also, I am not sure when the last update was to the list of people going in August but we are not on there yet and to be honest, I can't remember if I posted our dates yet! We are going Aug 21-30, staying at AKL on rented DVC points. :)
August daytime high temps are pretty regularly in the mid 90's, but it feels hotter because it is almost always very humid. Rain usually isn't the ruin a day kind of rain, instead it is a brief (generally between 15 minutes, and an hour or so) but torrential downpour, sometimes accompanied by intense lightning. Usually, these storms pop up daily (though not necessarily every day, but close to it) and are typically in the mid afternoon to early evening. Most of the time, the morning and early afternoon are clear and beautiful, and the weather clears back up and is amazing very shortly after the rain ends.

There are occasions when the rain will linger for more than an hour or two, and even occasionally rain on through the rest of the evening, but those are the exception, not the rule. The afternoon storm is more or less a given though.

I am sure you will be fine. I went in July with a very heat intolerant DH and DS and they both survived. It was very humid and hot with thunderstorms pretty much every afternoon. We packed primarily dry fit clothing, underwear included and now that is all my DH and DS x 2 wear even at home. And being in a villa you should have access to laundry if you don't want to pack clothes for every day of your trip. I remember when we were there in July tho and there were still people walking around in denim jeans who I assume came from even warmer climates than Florida!
The other thing that we have done to manage the heat is freeze half full water bottles overnight and then add lemonade to fill the bottle to have to drink as the day goes on.

Another point about the summer afternoon rain storms, if you watch the sky, you will see the clouds starting to build, and rise up. When the storms are coming, you don't just see clouds, they get that signature anvil shape, the start to tower up high into the sky, and the shape is very obvious, then generally the wind will start to pick up (the air is usually pretty still in central Florida, so when breeze starts to pick up, you should take notice) and the sky will start to darken. While that does not guarantee a storm, more often than not, it is your 5 minute warning lol.

When you notice those changes in the weather, it is a good time to get in line for a long show, or an indoor ride, or perhaps go grab a meal at a quick service. Often if you time these things right, by the time you are done, and back outside, the storm is over and the sky is clearing.

I will add, while it didn't happen often during our last trip, our first night of our trip in 2015 there was a heat storm. We were in the MK and it as scary with all of the lightening, so we ended up leaving after taking cover in some gift shops, Pinocchio's Village Haus and It's a Small World for about an hour. It is CRAZY how many people didn't pay attention and at least take some cover! Be safe, there is no dome over MK, and ponchos will not protect you from lightening. But otherwise, the storms generally don't last long, and ponchos are a staple in Florida summers (we had two each, one to pack/wear while the other dried out)

Finally booked. We are at Pop Century from 7/30-8/3 and at Animal Kingdom lodge 8/3-8/6. We got the meal deal for the first part of the stay and hoping for a room discount for the second half. Still not 100% sure of the dates only because of airfare. Southwest isn't out that far yet, but will be in a couple of weeks. Wanted to book though so I can make my dd's BBB appointment and a few adr's. Trying to a little more relaxed this trip, but that's hard to do. It will be just me and the two kids for the first part and dh is flying down for the second part, plus then we go to Universal and the beach. I can't wait and Toy story land best be open.

We booked today at WL for the 25-1. We were going to wait to see if free dining would happen, but we like the deal we got at WL. The FD would save us a little more, but we end up getting things on it we normally wouldn’t anyway (dessert/drinks/and last time had a bunch of snacks left). Going to do 4/5 table services, and go to quick service locations that offer more than just burgers/chicken nuggets.

It’s going to cost a little more than we wanted, but in the end we booked at the place we really wanted to try.

We booked today at WL for the 25-1. We were going to wait to see if free dining would happen, but we like the deal we got at WL. The FD would save us a little more, but we end up getting things on it we normally wouldn’t anyway (dessert/drinks/and last time had a bunch of snacks left). Going to do 4/5 table services, and go to quick service locations that offer more than just burgers/chicken nuggets.

It’s going to cost a little more than we wanted, but in the end we booked at the place we really wanted to try.
Often, it winds up costing less to book with a room discount, and pay either for the dining package, or just pay for dining OOP. We buy Disney Gift Cards from Sam's Club to pay for all of our dining. The $500 gift cards sell for $480, so $3000 in gift cards saves us $120, making dining a bit cheaper. We use those cards for food, drinks, souvenirs, parking, pretty much anything we have to pay for on property.

Since I joined the FB group I should probably post here! Going 8/18, most likely through 8/25 or 26. Right now we're at BLT through the 22nd, it will be our first stay there so I'm really excited! We've gone every Aug. since 2014 so we know the weather :scared: Looking forward to planning with you all :)

Well, we are still way over a year out, but we are already planning for 2018. So, if you are going to WDW in August of 2018 come in and join the fun.

DSC_0444_zpsj8gk0icl.jpg
August 21-August28

Since I joined the FB group I should probably post here! Going 8/18, most likely through 8/25 or 26. Right now we're at BLT through the 22nd, it will be our first stay there so I'm really excited! We've gone every Aug. since 2014 so we know the weather :scared: Looking forward to planning with you all :)
Glad to have you in the facebook group, and here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter