The Official VILLAS at DISNEYLAND HOTEL (Discovery Tower) Owners and Fans Info Thread

Final vote is next month. Per KTLA website

It will face a final city council vote on May 7. Should the proposal be approved then, land use changes related to Disneyland Forward wouldn’t be implemented until 30 days later.

That was stated as likely for financial reasons (and I do think it’s true for the foreseeable future) but wasn’t promised as part of the project.
I think it is likely, I wouldn't be surprised if they put a DVC tower on the Toy Story lot, regardless of what they end up doing with the rest of that plot. We are talking 5-10 years down the line minimum though. Before they start to redevelop that they need to get the Eastern Gateway done, and will likely we deep into the westward park development, whether that is a 3rd gate or expansions of the existing parks

Disney has previously stated that any new hotel anywhere in the US would have a DVC component. They just reiterated it last night in regards to DLR . I believe they’ve got approval already for something like 150-200 additional timeshare units (it’s been awhile since I read the who proposal) They’re also looking to streamline some of the red tape for timeshare approval. TOT are here to stay as well. No sweet heart deals like VGC. Timeshare or cash everyone is paying (although it’s less for DVC at VDH than cash).

Disney has previously stated that any new hotel anywhere in the US would have a DVC component. They just reiterated it last night in regards to DLR . I believe they’ve got approval already for something like 150-200 additional timeshare units (it’s been awhile since I read the who proposal) They’re also looking to streamline some of the red tape for timeshare approval. TOT are here to stay as well. No sweet heart deals like VGC. Timeshare or cash everyone is paying (although it’s less for DVC at VDH than cash).
They had used all the units they had approval for (and then some) building VDH.

My point was simply to clarify for anyone reading that a DVC component in each new hotel is not part of the agreement, it’s a corporate strategy, which means they can change their mind if they desire.

The big DVC buildout change is that all 5,600 units Disney is allowed to operate are now free to be either hotel or timeshare. But Disney could decide in three years that VDH sales didn’t meet expectations and then build something all hotel, and it wouldn’t need a variance.

They had used all the units they had approval for (and then some) building VDH.

My point was simply to clarify for anyone reading that a DVC component in each new hotel is not part of the agreement, it’s a corporate strategy, which means they can change their mind if they desire.

The big DVC buildout change is that all 5,600 units Disney is allowed to operate are now free to be either hotel or timeshare. But Disney could decide in three years that VDH sales didn’t meet expectations and then build something all hotel, and it wouldn’t need a variance.
Thanks for all of your work on the council meeting. I found it very insightful.

Found all of these interesting points:

"Disney also agrees that it shall not request City approval to convert Paradise Pier/Pixar Place Hotel to vacation ownership resort units for a minimum of twenty (20) years from the Effective Date."

3.1.5 Future Vacation Ownership Resorts; Agreements Concerning Payments In-Lieu of Transient Occupancy Tax and ATID. Recognizing that the Anaheim Municipal Code requires an agreement for each discrete vacation ownership resort project developed in the City relating to the payment of in-lieu transient occupancy taxes (“TOT”), this Section shall be used to guide preparation of each such agreement required for any development by Disney or its affiliates of projects containing its branded vacation ownership resorts, commonly known as Disney Vacation Club (“DVC”). In general, the form of the October 6, 2020 Transient Occupancy Tax Agreement for DVC at Disneyland Hotel including the TOT rate escalation provision set forth therein will be used for any new DVC project in the Anaheim Resort (each, a “DVC Project”) initiated after the approval of this Development Agreement; provided, however, that said
agreement shall be tailored to the new DVC Project in its basics and with additional changes made to the Agreement as described more fully in Exhibit L to this Agreement in order to effectuate the Parties’ intent that the in-lieu TOT paid to the City for all future DVC projects approximate economic parity with the market rates and associated TOT paid for that project’s comparable Hotel rooms (in each case and as determined according to the process described in Exhibit L, the DVC Project’s “Comp Set”) to the full extent feasible throughout the Term of that DVC Project’s TOT agreement. In addition, Disney agrees that in the event that the City seeks to modify the bylaws and/or other formation documents of the Anaheim Tourism Improvement District (“ATID”) or any successor agency serving the same or a similar purpose as ATID, in order to apply the existing ATID assessment to all newly constructed vacation ownership resort units including any newly constructed DVC units within the current or future ATID or successor agency boundary on a prospective basis, Disney agrees to vote in favor of such a modification to the ATID or Successor Agency documents; provided, however, that nothing in this Agreement shall be construed as a requirement for Disney to vote to approve a higher ATID assessment than the existing two percent (2%) of hotel room “rent” (as defined in Anaheim Municipal Code Section 2.12.005.140).

"Police Substation. Disney shall construct and maintain a Police Substation in the Theme Park District and a Police Satellite Office in the Southeast District or the Theme Park East Overlay"

And if you really want to get into the weeds with DVC and future TOTs:

5598767.1 A - 13

EXHIBIT L

Terms for TOT In Lieu Agreement

Subsequent DVC TOT In-Lieu Agreements:

I. Tailoring of In-Lieu Agreement for each DVC Project:

All DVC TOT In-Lieu Agreements relating to DVC Projects developed and opened during the Term shall be in substantially identical form to that certain Transient Occupancy Tax Agreement by and between the City and Disney Vacation Development, Inc., dated as of October 6, 2020; provided, however, that Section 2(a) of said agreement shall be replaced with language substantially identical to the following:

a. The Parties hereby agree that, with respect to each year of operation of the Project, DVD shall make TOT in-lieu payments (“TOT in-lieu”) to the City in accordance with this Section II(A).

i. Non-Application to Transient (Hotel) Guests: TOT in-lieu payments shall be calculated based on actual occupancy of the timeshare units when occupied by a DVD Timeshare Owner or other occupant based on a timeshare exchange; however, when a Project unit is occupied by a transient (hotel) guest, TOT and ATID shall be collected and paid as though the unit is a standard Hotel room rather than under this Agreement.

ii. Comp Set Determination: The Parties agree that the primary comparison for purposes of establishing the comparison TOT in-lieu for the respective TOT in-lieu shall be rates (inclusive of all charges including parking and daily resort fees) charged by Disney or any third-party hotel booking service for average nightly room rate for each specific unit type within the actual DVC project. If there is not an applicable comparison rate either because the DVC project has not yet commenced operation or most or all the DVC units are actually occupied by DVC members for the comparison period (as distinguished from DVC members who make their DVC unit available rent on third-party hotel booking services), the Parties agree that the hotel or list of hotels agreed to (or deemed agreed to) by the Parties are the appropriate competitive set for the Project (“Comp Set”), determined according to the principles and process set forth in Exhibit XX, Section II of that certain Development Agreement dated [Insert Date], 2024 by and between the City and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., an affiliate of DVD (the “DA”).

A. Periodic and Requested Comp Set Reviews. On or around every fifth (5th) anniversary of the Project’s opening date, or more frequently (but not less than two years since the last the last review) if either Party requests a review in writing on the basis of materially changed circumstances in either the DVC Project or the Comp Set which the requesting Party believes likely causes a difference in TOT revenues to the City under this Agreement of more than 10% from where they would otherwise be, the Parties shall meet and confer as to whether the Project’s Comp Set accurately reflects the Project’s market positioning, following the process set forth in Section II.C. of Exhibit XX to the DA to confirm the existing Comp Set or determine the new Comp Set.

iii. Initial Determination of Sum Total Point Value: Each night of the year will be assigned a point value specific to Project room type, season, and day of the week (“Point

5598767.1 A - 14

Value”). Beginning with the Project’s first year of operation and thereafter on an annual basis, and no more frequently than on an annual basis, DVD shall provide to the City a Point Value allocation for the Project. The Parties agree that while the Point Value allocation may change from year to year, the sum total Point Value for the Project shall remain static from year to year.

iv. Calculation of TOT Value Per Point. For each night that a timeshare unit in the Project is occupied and to which this Agreement applies under Section 2(a)(i), DVD will collect from the occupant, at checkout, an amount based on the Point Value assigned to such night, times a dollar figure with respect to TOT in-lieu (“TOT Value Per Point”).

A. Initial Operation Period. For the first year of operation (the “first year of operation” being defined as the first full calendar year of the Project’s operations plus any partial calendar year of operations (i.e., if the Project opens on a day other than January 1st)), the TOT Value Per Point shall be set at (i) the actual TOT [(imputed for non-Anaheim hotels in the Comp Set based on their average daily rate and occupancy rate)] paid by the Project’s Comp Set for the twelve (12) full calendar months ending on the date which immediately precedes the date which is one year before the date on which the Project opens for operations (so, for a Project that opened on January 1, 2028, the measurement period would be January 1 through December 31, 2026), multiplied by (ii) a fraction equal to (y) the number of timeshare units in the Project divided by (z) the number of rooms available for hire in the Comp Set during the relevant period, such amount to be divided by (iii) [95]% of the sum total Point Value for the Project.

B. Annual Reset and Review. For each subsequent year of Project operation, the TOT Value Per Point shall be reset as of January 1 to reflect the change in results for clause 2(a)(iv)(A)(i) above for the Project’s Comp Set for the preceding twelve (12) full calendar months, with primacy given in this determination, where applicable, to Project rooms sold during that time period to transient (hotel) guests of the Existing Disney Hotel in which the Project is physically embedded or to which it is immediately adjacent, as contemplated in II.B.1 below (but not II.B.2), and for clause 2(a)(iv)(A)(iii) above to reflect any difference between the initial occupancy assumption and the Project’s actual occupancy. For the sake of clarity, this change reflected in the preceding calendar year shall be applied to the TOT Value Per Point for stays occurring in the subsequent (not present) calendar year.

C. Changes in City TOT Rate. The TOT Value Per Point shall also be increased or decreased to reflect any change in the TOT rate of 15% (or the tax rate then in effect pursuant to Code Section 2.12.010.)

II. Principles and Process for Establishing the Comp Set including Dispute Resolution

A. Overarching Goal: The Parties intend that the in-lieu TOT paid to the City for all future DVC projects approximate economic parity with the market rates and associated TOT paid for that DVC Project’s most comparable Hotel rooms, i.e., its Comp Set, to the full extent feasible throughout the Term of that DVC Project’s TOT agreement.

B. Comp Set Determination – General Principles:

1) When DVC Project is Embedded in an Existing Disney Hotel. The Parties acknowledge and agree that absent an atypical market strategy or room development type within the DVC Project, where the DVC Project is physically embedded and/or immediately

5598767.1 A - 15

adjacent to an existing Disney Hotel (the “Existing Disney Hotel”), the appropriate Comp Set for that DVC Project is the set of one consisting of that Existing Disney Hotel.

2) When the DVC Project is Not Embedded in or is Differentiated from Existing Disney Hotel(s). If the DVC Project is not physically embedded and/or immediately adjacent to an existing Disney Hotel, or is so embedded and/or adjacent but is intended to be marketed at a value point materially inconsistent with that of the Existing Disney Hotel, then the Comp Set for that DVC Project shall be determined by reference to a combination (which can include a relative economic allocation) of Disney hotels determined by the Parties or, if the Parties do not agree, by their respective Lodging Industry Experts pursuant to the process described below as most likely to reflect the DVC Project’s market position and pricing. The preference will be for reliance on Disney hotels in Anaheim, but reliance on one or more then-existing Disney hotels in Florida will be permitted if the consensus of the Parties and/or the expert opinion of the Lodging Industry Experts is that inclusion of such hotels is beneficial to the determination of the DVC Project’s market positioning. By way of example only, if a DVC Project was proposed as a physical addition to the Pixar Place Hotel but was intended to be marketed as a more luxe offering, the Parties and/or their Lodging Industry Experts could, exercising their judgment, determine the Comp Set by reference solely to Pixar Place Hotel but with an assumed adjustment to reflect the expected premium, or by reference (presumably weighted) to both Pixar Place Hotel and Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel and Spa, or by references to both these hotels and/or additional then-existing Disney hotels in Florida that had similar characteristics to the planned DVC Project helpful to determining its likely market position.

3) Commitment of Candor and Adherence to Overarching Goal. Disney agrees that throughout each Comp Set process, it will provide a candid picture to the City’s representatives of its intended lodging product and general marketing intent with the DVC Project, so as to accurately inform the Comp Set decision, and also as to the relevant rates of any non-Anaheim existing Disney hotel included or proposed to be included in the Comp Set. Disney and the City both agree that throughout each Comp Set process, they shall be guided, and they shall direct their respective Lodging Industry Experts to be guided, by the overarching goal of approximating economic parity in market rates for the most comparable Hotel rooms to the DVC Project, and in payment of associated TOT.

I saw mentioned elsewhere it was stated at the meeting by Disney that Avatar would be one of the new lands, so I guess that answers that question.

I also saw buried in the proposal that GCV TOT will revert to the new normal rate that VDH pays in 2028.

HAHA!

Just Kidding.....

I didn't see anything like that, just wanted to make all the smug GCV owners who like to repeatedly remind us VDH owners of the TOT sweat a second. :rotfl2:

Have an upcoming 4 night stay on points in a Duo Studio (Standard View). Most of the time we will be at the Anaheim convention center that I hope is walkable. Mapping it says a 15 min walk. Also I read that parking is free on a points stay and $40 per night for cash guests. I have a friend who lives local who plans to visit me at the hotel (won't stay overnight). What is the best place for her to park and does anyone know the cost?

Have an upcoming 4 night stay on points in a Duo Studio (Standard View). Most of the time we will be at the Anaheim convention center that I hope is walkable. Mapping it says a 15 min walk. Also I read that parking is free on a points stay and $40 per night for cash guests. I have a friend who lives local who plans to visit me at the hotel (won't stay overnight). What is the best place for her to park and does anyone know the cost?
Your guest will likely find it least expensive / most convenient to park in the Downtown Disney lot, depending on how long they stay. Details on pricing are here.

The walk to the convention center isn’t too bad. 15 minutes is probably right; the convention center is huge though and depending where you are you might be walking through the convention center for another 15 minutes.

Your guest will likely find it least expensive / most convenient to park in the Downtown Disney lot, depending on how long they stay. Details on pricing are here.

The walk to the convention center isn’t too bad. 15 minutes is probably right; the convention center is huge though and depending where you are you might be walking through the convention center for another 15 minutes.
Thanks! Parking in the area does seem troublesome/pricey. Maybe my friend will just pick me up and we'll go some place else.

If you have occupancy availability on your room you could add her to your reservation and then she could park for free yes? I never park so not sure if this is correct f

If you have occupancy availability on your room you could add her to your reservation and then she could park for free yes? I never park so not sure if this is correct f
I know people do this at WDW and it will work, but since the duo studio just has occupancy for 2 it likely won't in this situation (just noticing the OP referenced "we" in their post).

I know people do this at WDW and it will work, but since the duo studio just has occupancy for 2 it likely won't in this situation (just noticing the OP referenced "we" in their post).
Yeah our room is full although I found another thread somewhere that said Disneyword Resorts allowed a unit to park as many cars as occupants in the room. The only Disneyland DVC resort at the time was VGC and that one limited to 2 cars per unit. I should be with my friend when she comes to the hotel since I think the plan is to pick me up to meet another friend for a meal then we will return to the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter