The people that are already renting AKV points on the rent/trade board.....

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
What happens when they find they can't get the dates they need for the people who need the reservation? I am sure May 16th is going to be CRAZY with people booking up to 11 months with limited availabilty.

There is a thread on the rent/trade board asking $14 a point for AKV, and telling them they can book for dates after July 2nd. The op does realize there will only be 7 rooms available for the early dates? That the unit he/she has an interest in has to be one of the units available to rent?

It makes no sense to me why people would already be renting AKV points, when we can't even call and ask for availabilty, never mind book the dates.

I can see the future, and it tells me that a lot of people hoping to rent AKV points are going to be very disappointed.

I agree. My home resort is AKV and I own in one of the units that will be available in July, so theoretically I could start renting points out as well.

However, as you mentioned I would have no way of booking, confirming or even inquiring about availability until May 16th. Even then I can only hope to be one of the lucky few who get one of the first ressies.

I can only guess that those posting rentals this early are either banking on the ignorance of others or they themselves don't understand how the whole process will work with these first limited units.

Besides, I want it all to myself if I'm actually able to get one of the first ones :) I've already booked at OKW as my backup plan (not that I won't enjoy staying there either - wow, double negative) and hope to move the ressie to AKV as soon as possible.

I don't care for the 'professional' renting at all. Some may disagree with me, but I think that a person should buy the points that they need to suit their own vacation needs and that's all.

There are scant few units available at this stage. I would like to have an 'honest' shot at making a ressy at AKV. I purchased to make it a home resort so that I could have a shot. When Kidani is open, we'll have room to spare so to speak, but not now.

I do not like the professional renting. Did I mention that?

What happens when they find they can't get the dates they need for the people who need the reservation? I am sure May 16th is going to be CRAZY with people booking up to 11 months with limited availabilty.

There is a thread on the rent/trade board asking $14 a point for AKV, and telling them they can book for dates after July 2nd. The op does realize there will only be 7 rooms available for the early dates? That the unit he/she has an interest in has to be one of the units available to rent?

It makes no sense to me why people would already be renting AKV points, when we can't even call and ask for availabilty, never mind book the dates.

I can see the future, and it tells me that a lot of people hoping to rent AKV points are going to be very disappointed.

This isn't the first AKV point rental, the first was seen shortly after people started sending paperwork back. At least the first one was looking for $15/pt.

I was just talking about this with my husband last night. I don't see how anyone renting AKV points will be able to secure a reservation for renters. The post I saw on rent/trade board was renting 500 points. WOW!
I also see some very disappointed renters in the future.

I am not against renting points and do so myself when I can't use them. I love having that option. I do disagree with the "commercial renting".

One of the big reasons we are going to add on at AKV is because we really want to stay at AKV. We are worried we won't be able to book at the 7 month window. I might be wrong but, I think it is going to be a hot spot!!!

This isn't the first AKV point rental, the first was seen shortly after people started sending paperwork back. At least the first one was looking for $15/pt.

Unreal! It is going be interesting to say the least.

i have no problem with renting points. and have done so myself several times when I was using my Navation dollars at Universal. ( Blasphemy I know)
However sorry renting points and advertising rooms for the summer when.... "Maybe 7 rooms will be available is just rude"

There is renting because there may be a time when one has some extra points and there is renting as a business venture. I am personally against the latter.

You are correct! I had no idea there are only going to be 7 rooms available come July 2nd, but rude, come on. Guess I'm fortunate that just about everyone who showed interest (and there were quite a few :)) wanted a reservation in Dec. and or Jan.

What makes you think I'm a commerical renter? I rent about half my points to cover dues and expenses. I don't have a web site. I don't rent pre-booked reservations. I don't advertise on E-bay. So what are you baseing your commerical renter BS on?

Now to address the 500 AKV points. If you know anything about DVC you know that the price always goes up. So why not get in early for the savings? I havn't decide if I'm going to sell my OKW or SSR points but I probably won't. Now having said that, again if you know anything about vacationing you know that if you want to get the prefect reservation at the perfect location you must plan ahead, right? So would it be such a "surprise" that I and my family have vacation plans that are pretty much set for the next year and half between WDW and the beach? I really have no need for the points for the next 2 years so why not offset the cost of the AKV contract?

So what's wrong with taking my legally stated (in the POS) right to rent my points that I purchased just like anyone else. I've read up on the subject and I understand DVC's defination of a commerical renter. Maybe everyone who thinks I'm commerically renting go back and read the info. posted last Aug. and Sept. DVC defines that as someone who has 20 reservations in someone elses name in one year. And do you really think 500 points is going to be that many reservations? Example: Family of 11 traveling in Dec needs two rooms for 9 days, That's it, two rooms, total number of points for a Value View 2 Bdr and VV Studio = 447 points.

All renters were informed that it's 1st come 1st served with no guarentees and no money will change hands until I have a confirmed reservation. So explain to me again what I'm doing wrong, other than not know about the 7 rooms only in July?

Y-ASK

I have to say this really does irk me too.

I feel the people who actually invested the money in AKV should be the first ones staying in the limited number of units, not those renting points to stay at Disney World "on the cheap."

JMHO

I have to say this really does irk me too.

I feel the people who actually invested the money in AKV should be the first ones staying in the limited number of units, not those renting points to stay at Disney World "on the cheap."

JMHO
Well I am sorry to have "irked" you with my AKV rental. I meant no offense to anyone and I'm sorry to all who feel this way. I tried to rent to those who needed the most number of points so there would be very few reservations. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it now.

Y-ASK

I don't care for the 'professional' renting at all. Some may disagree with me, but I think that a person should buy the points that they need to suit their own vacation needs and that's all.

i don't like the "professional renting" either but not all who rent out their points are professional renters.

we purchased 210 AKV points at the beginning of March after many many "practice" trips on a Caskbill's planning program to figure out exactly how many points we could live with. That being said - personal things changed this month (family health) and we can't go down this year and have already planned to go in 2009 - if we don't transfer our 2007 points we will loose them since we can only save them for 1 year and our next trip falls outside that savings period.

i'm glad they have capped the number of rents someone can do in any given year but please don't lump all renters as professionals.

i don't like the "professional renting" either but not all who rent out their points are professional renters.

i'm glad they have capped the number of rents someone can do in any given year but please don't lump all renters as professionals.

I did not lump ALL renters as professionals. If you had read down, then you would have seen my other comment.

I don't understand people not wanting to use their own points to stay in a DVC resort? Why even purchase a DVC membership if you have no intention of going at least every year? Or using the points in some way?

And, I'm sorry, Y-Ask, you are a commercial renter since you purposely purchased points to sell. You don't fit Disney initial definition at this point, but it could change.

If I owned AKV points and were unable to get the days I wanted and found out a renter was staying those days, I would be extremely upset.

I don't understand people not wanting to use their own points to stay in a DVC resort? Why even purchase a DVC membership if you have no intention of going at least every year? Or using the points in some way?

not all of us are lucky enough to live close enough to WDW to go every year and have to go every other year and because sometimes something happens in life to mess with plans that may cause you to have to cancel the trip you had planned for this year and you aren't going to be able to go for another 2 years. i'm at a loss as to why some people think well if you aren't going lose your points is a better option over transferring them to someone else or making a reservation for someone else.

and what if you bought 210 points and go every year and use exactly 210 points every year, then in 10 years you want to take your entire family down around Easter for 7 nights and stay in the grand villa at BWV and you bank use and borrow 3 years worth of points making 630 points but that year you need 966 - where are you going to get the extra points? you don't need them every year but for the special year you need the extra points.

by your thinking that person should buy enough points to cover the 966 and waste the extra points they don't need every year bacuse they over purchased but if they purchase enough for what they would normally need they can't go on that extra special entire family vacation.

You don't fit Disney initial definition at this point, but it could change.
And if it changes then I will most assurdly abide by what ever change they make. I'm working within the guidelines as I understand them but I respect your right to voice your opinion.
And, I'm sorry, Y-Ask, you are a commercial renter since you purposely purchased points to sell.
Not that I agree, but does that make you think any less of me? I mean if you see a post from "Y-ASK" will you instantly label me or worst put me on your ignore list? I've tried to follow the rules to the letter without over stepping what I can and cannot do. I don't feel that I'm trying to get away with anything but you may feel different. I value my membership on this forum and I try not to offend as much as I can. I had some real feelings about what was said on the No Smoking policy change thread but I pretty much kept my thoughts to myself so as not to offend. Oh well, I guess people will think what they will think and I can't change that. At this point in time if DVC considers what I am doing to be against the rules as stated in the POS I will sell off any excess points and just become a owner living point to point each year. Maybe I'll call my guide and see what he thinks...

Y-ASK

Y-ask

I feel like my first post on this thread was misunderstood by you. I maybe should have changed the wording around a bit. When I said WOW about the 500 points I was really wishing inside my head that I was able to purchase that many points. But sadly can not afford it.

Second , I wouldn't put you in the catagory as a "commercial renter" I was just simply stating that I don't agree with "commercial renting."
I rent points as well. When I can not use them and I am glad we have that option.
My concern is that when people do use it for commercial renting(not you) that the option of renting might be taken away.

Hope this clears my thinking up a little.

I don't want to get into a debate over this, but I have to say that a friend and I rented points last year from some very nice members and b/c of our experience, bought our own points recently--at AKV!

I don't understand people not wanting to use their own points to stay in a DVC resort? Why even purchase a DVC membership if you have no intention of going at least every year? Or using the points in some way? .

Is it your job to understand? What people do with their points and vacation plans is their own business. I would LOVE to say I am go to WDW EVERY year for the next 50 years and I will use ALL of my points each and every time--but that is not a realistic statement. As Kurby said above, sometimes circumstances dictate your plans. You also state people should be"...using the points in some way..." Well, isn't that exactly what they are doing? The points are still being put to use.:confused3 And you are not paying for his points or his dues.

If I owned AKV points and were unable to get the days I wanted and found out a renter was staying those days, I would be extremely upset.
Isn't that a little ridiculous to say? First of all, how would you ever know a renter from a member? Secondly, a "renter" could be someone's daughter, mother, son, close friend, etc.--you are assuming all renters are strangers and therefore scum. Finally, you would be "upset"--why? Because a member was dilligent and/or lucky and made a reservation before you? Since only members can speak to MS, what difference does it make to you if the person staying on that reservation is a member or someone else?

I guess you also would be upset if all point rooms (reserved by points) were booked, but a member made a cash reservation for your desired dates and you found out about that, too. I know firsthand, that can be done.

Sorry, but to just come down on this guy because he had a LOT of points to sell--at least he kept the price up and you can't say the "bottom feeders" (as I have seen others refer to them) got their hands on them!

Ok--enough-just my 2, well, maybe 2.5 cents worth!!!!:rolleyes1

And if it changes then I will most assurdly abide by what ever change they make. I'm working within the guidelines as I understand them but I respect your right to voice your opinion.

Not that I agree, but does that make you think any less of me? I mean if you see a post from "Y-ASK" will you instantly label me or worst put me on your ignore list? I've tried to follow the rules to the letter without over stepping what I can and cannot do. I don't feel that I'm trying to get away with anything but you may feel different. I value my membership on this forum and I try not to offend as much as I can. I had some real feelings about what was said on the No Smoking policy change thread but I pretty much kept my thoughts to myself so as not to offend. Oh well, I guess people will think what they will think and I can't change that. At this point in time if DVC considers what I am doing to be against the rules as stated in the POS I will sell off any excess points and just become a owner living point to point each year. Maybe I'll call my guide and see what he thinks...

Y-ASK

What I think is that YOU are misleading your customers and that is bad!!!! You can't gurantee anything so did you TELL them that or have you promised them something you can't actually gurantee you will deliver. That's called false advertising.... I feel sorry for your customers, but the truth is that if they fell for your line then they won't be back to you.

(And by the way, you do report ALL this income to the IRS don't you????)

What I think is that YOU are misleading your customers and that is bad!!!! You can't gurantee anything so did you TELL them that or have you promised them something you can't actually gurantee you will deliver. That's called false advertising.... I feel sorry for your customers, but the truth is that if they fell for your line then they won't be back to you.

(And by the way, you do report ALL this income to the IRS don't you????)
Wow! Don't I feel like scum of the earth. Where are you getting this from? I never said that a room at AKV was guranteed. The only thing that is guranteed is that I will try to get them the room size and dates they desire on May 16th. And yes they were informed of that fact. I'm sorry if I've angered you, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I guess by all means flame away...

Y-ASK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter