The reasons you've needed medical attention at Disney

The following thread includes the details of my son's unexpected journey throug emergency medical services in Orlando when he was seriously injured at Disney. It was a life changing experience for my family...thank goodness all was well in the end.

(Also, emergency services, Orlando Regional Medical Center, Arnold Palmer Children's hospital and Disney were all fantastic.)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1408713
Truly a harrowing experience! Thank goodness everything is okay now...that is something that will be ingrained in your memory forever.

The first aid station is like a ride to us, we need to visit it every year......

The first time was at Animal Kingdom, mij DH got a allergy attack and we never had any medication with us (he only took medication later times in the year but like Pete said, the seasons and bloomings are different). So finnaly i went to the first aid and got him some anti histaminicum and that worked out perfect even better then the medication he used back home so we bought him a supply for ever....

The second time we used it was in the same holiday.
I myself got a sevear allergy rush under my feet and i had to use a wheelchair so i could move, walking was not possible anymore, i cracked open and i went to the first aid in the MK for some bandage.
** The allergy rush was from a allergy for leather, when i came back home i went to the doctor a dermatologist and she finnaly -it took 11 months- found out that i was allergic to leather**

The next year we went to the first aid in the MK because i had a allergy rush on my arm because i used a bandage.
**The allergy rush this time, was from a bandage. This was the first time i reacted on a bandage, so i needed some latexfree bandage**

And last year we also went to the first aid at the MK because i had bumbed my leg at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
We were finished riding the ride and were leaving the carts, when you leave the train the gate already opens for the ones to load.
The kid that entered the train was to exided and didn't wait untill i was finished onloading the train.
He stepped on the back of my feet and so i falled agains the train and scrached my leg. For just one moment i lay down at the onlaoding dock. I was bleading a litllebit.
Because it seemed smart to put a cold pack on it so it wouldn't get thick and blue i went to the first aid and got myself a cold pack.

I wonder what will happen this upcomming trip....

In 2004 my DD3 (at the time) was excited our first night at Disney. She climbed the top of the bunk beds in our room (AKL) and fell off of them. I know I should have been watching her closer, but we had just got there and I was dealing with suitcases and getting settled in... we all know how preschoolers can get into trouble in the blink of an eye hahah
Anyway, we ended up in the ER for a concussion at the Orlando Hospital our first night at Disney :rotfl:
They were REALLY great at the hospital and were used to having Disney Accidents show up. They even gave her a mickey mouse doll while we were there to cheer her up. They knew much better than I how to handle our insurance for out of town out of network stuff and we only were charged our regular co payment... no problems at all with payments.
She had a full recovery and was at the parks the next day jumping and running with the rest of the preschoolers in the park. :rotfl:

my bf stepped on a sea urchin at Castaway Cay. His foot hurt pretty bad but there wasn't anything they could really do. They said it's like calcium and his body would absorb it...or something like that.

Now if he wouldn't have been a show off on a jet ski in Mexico, he wouldn't have gotten a compression fracture in his spine.

Several years ago, my back completely went "out" during our vacation. I couldn't even walk from our bed to bathroom and spent 3 days crying in our room while DH took the kids to the parks. After days of ice not working, advil not kicking in, we decided to visit the Urgent Care clinic on Apopka Vineland Road. WOW! Two hours later, with help to some valium and darvocet, I was upright again. Even walked 12 hours at the MK the next day. To this day, I keep a couple of pills on hand in case the old back acts up. That clinic rocked! :worship:

My 10 month old daughter got the flu on the way down. We were staying at the Grand Floridian. We ended up taking a taxi to Celebration hospital and back to the hotel. We did not get back to the hotel until 3am. They were very good. They went to Walgreens to get the medication we needed and delivered it to our room.

I've got one!
DH and I took the girls for their 1st trip in 8/05. I'm an RN, dh is a surgeon. Kids were 5 and 4. Oldest is autistic.

First morning- we hit MK. I get new annual pass checked in, and get dd her GAC. I walked away from the Guest Service desk without my cellphone. I was rushing to get them all to CRT when the rope dropped. I tripped over the velvet rope and landed smack on the ground, Left elbow first and whacked my head, losing consciousness. I awoke to dh and "Mouske-EMTs". DD was so upset seeing me out cold, she puked all over herself. I grabbed an ice pack and we headed off to CRT. They were nice enough to send over some fresh clothes for her, and took us in even though we were late for our ressie.

I suffered thru that day. In the morning, it was clear there was a serious problem. I was sent via cab from GF to Celebration hospital. That was horrible! I waited for at least 16 hours for an MRI before they finally transferred me to Orlando Regional. There I had the MRI, a minor surgical procedure,( pressure relief for compartment syndrome-swelling on the nerves) and was released 2 days later-with a big bag of Percocet &OXYCONTIN and dressing supplies, by cab to GF! (seriously, more pain meds than a herd of elephants would need)

WDW was as great as possible. They had a VIP guide with my dh during all days to help with the kids, and we were able to secure the same sitter from Kids Nite Out for every evening. DH was able to get to see me at the hospital. When I returned, it was great to be able to walk around with them, and then just get back to my room and allowing them to still enjoy the trip. The guide even helped DH take the girls for a pony ride in the rain at Ft. Wilderness.

I completed my elbow repair when we were at home. Thanks to WDW, our vacation was as successful as possible in the situation. I am so grateful for their help and attention.

Celebration Hospital, on the other hand, was quite a disaster! I was on a stretcher in a hallway forever waiting for a hand surgeon (who never showed)Some poor grandmother had had a stroke and was in the ER with 2 really little kids. There was NO ONE to watch them while she underwent her tests/procedures. Their mom was coming in as quickly as possible from Atlanta. Just so sad!

Our next trip was a much better trip for everyone!!!

I've had a couple of brushes with first aid, both related to twisting my ankle. Once I was carrying my then-6yo DD (chronic fatigue, wiped out asleep) after Wishes and I stepped in the darned streetcar track on Main Street. My ankle buckled, but I didn't drop DD! Went and had it iced and wrapped and gimped the rest of the trip (I still hate that track...it's deadly)

Second time, I had finished a convention at the Contemporary and was loading my trailer when I lost it stepping off an indentation in the curb I hadn't seen/expected. I iced that one myself, but my ankle/foot was swollen and rubbed a huge blister from my Croc, so I wound up visiting first aid in MGM for that one (ice, compression, lecture about Crocs and not seeking aid sooner...)

During the convention, however, 9yo DD dropped a heavy suitcase on her foot in our CR room (that has no storage or we wouldn't have needed said suitcase lying about...). When I stopped at the concierge desk and asked for assistance (gave our room #, explained DD was injured), I was handed a pamphlet for the urgent care. :confused3 Seriously, they gave me a pamphlet while my DD sat there crying (granted, she was already in a wheelchair...lesson learned from the first boo-boo incident, now I don't have to carry her when she falls asleep). Long story, but my 19yo DD had my van (she was doing some seasonal part time work while we were there), so I called her at WoD and had her leave my keys with the manager at the desk and hopped a bus from CR to DTD. Got the keys, located the van in the CM parking lot and drove DD to CentraCare (about now, I realized they'd have sent a van, but it was too late for that). We waited about an hour, had her x-rayed (there was a "shadow", so he put her in a boot and told us to follow up at home), and went on our merry way. No follow up at all from the CR, which miffed me a little bit. I just got the bill from CentraCare, over $200 for this little field trip. :scared1:

I was doing the Segway Tour and my machine malfunctioned and completely stopped, throwing my old body totally over the top and landing on my face knocking out my front tooth. After a trip to the First Aid station I was given the name of an emergency dentist. Luckily, she was in our insurance network so it was covered. Tooth fixed, and back to the parks!!:cool1:

DD3 fell off the bench seat in the Tiki Room this December past. She hit her eye on the bench in front of her and it was all swollen and weepy and a little bruised. We had to go to First Aid for ice to keep the swelling down.

See, the strange thing for me is that I'm pretty much the world's biggest clutz, queen of the mystery bruises, Clumsy, the 8th dwarf, etc, and I've never even set foot in a First Aid Station! I guess the Mickey Magic is helping me out?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter