• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread—2023

IMO, it's not a destination race, but I'd recommend this race to anyone wanting a super flat course with likely cooler weather.
Congrats! I second this recommendation for Indy! This was the 4th time for me and it’s always been good. They had pacers for 2:18, so that gives an idea of how fast the course is. There’s typically a group trying to OTQ there. But you do have to pay attention to potholes. 🤣

I know there is always discussion about running safety as the days get shorter so I wanted to post a link here to Saysky's reflective collection. I have a few of their prices, though not these specifically, and they are high quality.

https://saysky.us/collections/reflective-running-apparel
Definitely wear something reflective and lights if you can, Noxgear makes the best vest imo.

Having been hit by a car I cannot recommend it and would advise you all to do your best to avoid my mistakes :)

I know there is always discussion about running safety as the days get shorter so I wanted to post a link here to Saysky's reflective collection. I have a few of their prices, though not these specifically, and they are high quality.

https://saysky.us/collections/reflective-running-apparel
Timely post. I usually run in the evening, and with early sunset, I've got a very narrow window in the afternoon after work. A late meeting with the boss that ran long had me scrambling to start in the twilight and finish in the dark. I wore my lighted ball cap, but was conscious that my running gear was otherwise in dark clothing. Oops. Don't know that I'll be doing that again, either the dark clothes or the run, especially if it gets much colder. I may need to try for some earlier running opportunities.

OTOH, this was my first run since tweaking my foot stepping off the curb. Some foot pain, but four strong miles.
Now to see how much training progress I can make in six weeks.

Does anyone use any of the SiS products? I've been thinking about trying the SiS Go Isotonic Gels since they are isotonic, but I'm trying to figure out if the SiS Beta Fuel Gels and Chews are also isotonic. I don't get enough water in me to properly absorb carbs that aren't isotonic. I've been testing out the Maurten gels and they seem to do okay, but they are expensive. Just looking for some options.

Does anyone use any of the SiS products? I've been thinking about trying the SiS Go Isotonic Gels since they are isotonic, but I'm trying to figure out if the SiS Beta Fuel Gels and Chews are also isotonic. I don't get enough water in me to properly absorb carbs that aren't isotonic. I've been testing out the Maurten gels and they seem to do okay, but they are expensive. Just looking for some options.
@striker1064 tried these during the summer I think?

NYC Marathon provides SiS Go Isotonic Gels on the course. They offered and I ordered a trial pack before the race. I like them but they are more liquid than Maurten and may leak.

I haven't tried SiS, but I've been liking UCAN Edge gels, which are also isotonic. They're a little more expensive as well, but you can find deals for a sample pack (6 gels) for only the cost of shipping, which I think was about $10.

Both the regular and Beta gels are isotonic, yes. Not sure about the chews though, never tried those. The Beta gels are also quite expensive, but they have more carbs compared to Maurten (40g vs 25g) and they're flavored!

The consistency of the regular is kinda like snot, though. You're welcome in advance. The Beta gels are thicker but still kinda watery.

The SiS electrolyte tabs are solid for short runs if you're a heavy sweater like I am.

NYC Marathon provides SiS Go Isotonic Gels on the course. They offered and I ordered a trial pack before the race. I like them but they are more liquid than Maurten and may leak.
Good to know, thanks.

I haven't tried SiS, but I've been liking UCAN Edge gels, which are also isotonic. They're a little more expensive as well, but you can find deals for a sample pack (6 gels) for only the cost of shipping, which I think was about $10.
I will check them out. I haven't heard of them before.

Both the regular and Beta gels are isotonic, yes. Not sure about the chews though, never tried those. The Beta gels are also quite expensive, but they have more carbs compared to Maurten (40g vs 25g) and they're flavored!

The consistency of the regular is kinda like snot, though. You're welcome in advance. The Beta gels are thicker but still kinda watery.
Thanks for the warning. :oops: Good to have other options though.

The SiS electrolyte tabs are solid for short runs if you're a heavy sweater like I am.
I am horrible about replacing electrolytes. I basically just drink water. I do try to mix it up a little during the races with the oncourse Powerade. I have been wondering about salt tablets and if that would help any because I am a heavy sweater. But at least I'm not an ugly Christmas sweater. :rotfl2::rolleyes1

NYC Marathon 2023 race report - Turning the last page of a chapter

Exhilarated by the successful completion of my first marathon in 2019 and Dopey in January 2020, I took my chance on February 1st 2020 and put my name in the lottery to run the New York City Marathon. 25 days later, I was in!

Young DD in elementary school started planning her Halloween costume. Older DD in 9th grade was ok to miss two days of school to visit NYC. Hotel was booked. And then, the world as we knew it stopped due to the pandemic.

Fortunately, the four of us confined at home for almost six months understood the importance of having each other and lived a peaceful and meaningful life together. We also took care of our physical health, slowly equipping the basement with free weights, work bench, mats and elastics. And yes, running. DH in particular, when the gym closed, choose to come and run with me, mostly during our lunch breaks.

When NYRR offered deferral, with the USA borders still closed to Canadians, I took the safest option: I would run the NYC Marathon in 2023!

Time passed, graduations happened, travel resumed, social interactions, awkwardly sometimes, restarted beside a screen, tweens turned into young women. And slowly, the concept of running a marathon wasn’t as foreign as it once was for DH. We were lucky that some guaranteed bibs were released to an International Tour Operator (ITO) that we had contacted.

After 20 years of mariage, a couple that stays together runs together 😍 DH and I hence followed the same 16 weeks training plan and ran the same HM leading to the race.

Friday November 3rd, 2023 6AM: We are on the bus, the weekend is really happening! We arrive early afternoon at the New Yorker Hotel and decide to visit the Expo at the Javits Center. Like all the communications received by NYRR, this event is super well organized and polished. We get our bibs and shirts in no time. We buy NYC running socks for the family, sunglasses for me (for the marathon) and Pumpkin Spice Gu for fun.

We notice a restaurant that I had planned to visit post marathon and decide to eat there now (gluten free fried chicken and waffles!). That basically means that we are not going to carb load. It will clearly be too difficult considering our restrictions and too boring for a city with such offerings.

We spend the evening shopping/visiting on the 34th Street, 7th Avenue and around Time Square. Going to bed, we agree that we overdid it on our legs and that we better be careful the next day.

On Saturday, we use the subway and head towards Central Park, strolling on Amsterdam and Columbus as well. The weather is fantastic the entire weekend. Mild, dry, slightly cloudy at times. After lunch, we attend the matinee of The Lion King on Broadway. This is by far the best show I have ever seen: Visually stunning and harmonically pleasing, wow!

After a solid dinner at Bubba Gump (run Forest run), we go back to our room and prepare our clothes for the next day. I wake up in the middle of the night realizing that I had pinned my husband bib on my shirt and vice versa 🫣 Easily fixed.

Sunday November 5th, 2023 6AM: We are on the same bus, the marathon is really happening! By avoiding the main highways and their traffic, we have a bonus visit of Staten Island, nice.

One of the challenges for today is that we will start with Wave 4 at 10:55AM. So with a 4AM breakfast, we basically need to have lunch before the race. After going through security, we arrive in the Villages and within seconds have a Dunkin’ Donuts coffee in our hands. Fantastic because it is slightly chilly. Our throw away clothes are perfect, including the blanket on which we sit. From here we have a view of the bridge and of a screen, allowing us to spectate as we wait. The announcements are very clear so when the Wave 3 corrals close, we head towards the proper area, doing one last pit stop along the way. There is plenty of toilets everywhere (with paper too!).

We join the Orange Wave 4 Corral A, walk to the start, listen to the US anthem and, finally, we run the NYC marathon! The objectives are to have fun, to visit the city, to take some pictures and to finish.
View attachment 810453
The Verrazano bridge goes by, with the sun, the view, the excitement and more downhill than I thought. Brooklyn is so full of energy. We high five, we laugh, we are impressed with the crowd presence. At 10k, I am thinking, wow, that went fast. By the midway point, on the Pulaski bridge, I realize that I am starting to fade, plus a new experience: One of my knee is complaining. Fortunately, the pain subsides somewhere after Queens and the Queensboro bridge. Also, I am busy looking for the yellow hat of @NYC_MW and texting my family who are seeing us LIVE on the many cameras along the course. They find it amazing to be part of the event, even from far away. The Willis bridge brings us for a quick detour in the Bronx. There, someone offers us a watermelon and it is the best snack, the one we needed just then. The generosity of people all along is remarkable.
View attachment 810454
We cross the fifth and final bridge to Manhattan on Madison Ave. then go from 138th to 90th Street at a slow but constant uphill. At that point I am concentrated and confiant.

We enter Central Park and suddenly at around 3km (2 miles) from the end, another completely new experience: A major cramp in the hamstring. The kind that brings me to a complete halt, yelling and crying. I know that even if I have to hop on one leg for three hours I will still complete the marathon. There are a few minutes when I think that it might be the only possibility. Then, I slowly start to walk, then I resume running. I feel bad for DH who definitely has some acceleration remaining in his legs but I tell him that I would rather finish running slow than limping. And he totally supports that. We do cross the finish line holding hands and smiling. DH is a marathoner now 🤩
View attachment 810455
It was fun to see things through the eyes a a first timer again.

We walk the chute as the sun sets, go grab a solid snack of GF bagels and lox, hop on the subway, shower and show up to the pub where the tour group is celebrating. We eventually go back to Time Square for dinner.

The next morning, before heading home, the bus stops at Marathon Monday and it is fun to see people walking around with their medals. The New Yorkers have been really warm and welcoming all weekend, we are charmed. We want to highlight that we really appreciated the atmosphere, the 2 million supporters chanting and holding signs, the flawless organization of the race, the views of the city and the other runners each pushing their own limits.

Congratulations to our fellow DISers @dis_or_dat @huskies90 @jmasgat
for completing such a challenging race.

As for the delay in writing this report, I recognize that it took me a while to come to terms with how I felt that day. In hindsight, it is because we stayed left for most of the race and the slight but constant canter caused a strain on my left leg. None of it I felt after the race. So yes, I am now proud of having completed my sixth marathon and even prouder of having run it as a team with my loving husband. Thanks to all of you readers and contributors to this board, you were also with us.
View attachment 810456
Congrats to you and your husband!!! The NYCM is so challenging, it is really cool that you got to celebrate it together! Quick question, as I am hoping to get back to the NYCM at some point. What was the name of the restaurant that served gluten free fried chicken and waffles? Both my daughters have Celiac so if we get back I would love to explore that restaurant!

Congrats to you and your husband!!! The NYCM is so challenging, it is really cool that you got to celebrate it together! Quick question, as I am hoping to get back to the NYCM at some point. What was the name of the restaurant that served gluten free fried chicken and waffles? Both my daughters have Celiac so if we get back I would love to explore that restaurant!
Thank you 😊

The restaurant serving fried chicken and waffles is called Friedmans and there are a few locations in NYC. The other restaurants we enjoyed are Modern Bread and Bagel (post-marathon) and TAP NYC. When you plan on going, make sure to check the opening hours as many restaurants and shops were closed one day or another (not necessarily only the ones serving gluten-free food).

This article was partially helpful in identifying what would please us:
https://thesightseeingcoeliac.blog/2022/12/12/the-sightseeing-coeliac-in-new-york/

We like NYC so much that we now plan to go back with our daughters this summer.

Morning! Between Life and W&D, I haven’t had time to do much DISing lately, but I’m trying to catch up. Congrats to all who’ve toed the lines and smashed some goals recently!

I have an update to share - it could get stupidly long, but I’ll try to keep it brief. Ish. :rotfl:

I finally bought the book “Next Level” by Stacey Sims and Selena Yeager - basically a guide to dealing with the challenges (which is a REALLY nice way of putting it) of perimenopause and menopause as an aging female athlete. It’s been enormously eye-opening and helpful!

Consider this: my generation and beyond are the first to have benefited from Title IX - the first really large group of US women to have had wide access to sport is just now hitting the menopausal stage of life, which means there’s been precious little research into how peri/menopause impacts the athletic female body. We’re only just beginning to figure things out. Which is why it’s so incredibly hard to get good sports medical care with peri/menopause in mind.

Anyway, the book is chock full of wisdom, advice, very specific tips for supplements, training, and more. I highly recommend it! And I won’t attempt to regurgitate much of it here, but a couple things I learned have totally transformed my approach to training and running, so much for the better…

1. The idea that after more than a decade of long distance running, endurance should not be my main target in training: the endurance is already there, baked in. For the past month+, I’ve been doing more HIIT runs, less mileage, and some days not running at all if I feel awful. It’s a HUGE shift in mentality for me, but it’s working a treat!

2. More protein; more quality calories. I’m hitting protein hard after every workout - a protein shake, hard boiled egg, Greek yogurt or the like. It is shocking what a difference that’s made in my recovery and reduction in soft tissue pain! And adding that in is adding more calories that I really need, too.

3. Lift Heavy Stuff (only it’s not really “Stuff”). I hate strength training, so the advice to lift heavy for very few reps is actually a winner for me lol! More weight, less time? Done. I feel stronger, look leaner (not that that is what this is about at all, but it’s a nice side effect), and am running better.

In real life, here’s how these changes have played out recently:
My penultimate b2b2b training weekend for W&D went great!
My final b2b2b training weekend was a different story: hormones were out of whack, pain levels and fatigue were high, and I bailed at mile 9 of what was sopped to be a 12-miler. Told myself all week before W&D, “This is FINE: you’ve got 10 years of marathon and Dopey training built up, not to mention a gazillion halfs - you do not need those extra miles to be ready.”
W&D weekend… I was exhausted from lack of sleep (thanks noisy neighbors), under-nourished thanks to dental work and an inability to chew properly, and frankly not into it at all… but I finished all 3 races, and even ran hard the second half of the half, with what felt like minimal effort! I still battled the chronic pain I’ve had for several years now, but it was tolerable - and I recovered quickly.

So I’m hesitant to say I’M BACK, BAYBEE!!!, but I’m… a bit more hopeful than I was a couple months ago? I still have no interest in ever agin doing a marathon, and swore after W&D no more 3 days of racing in a row, but I’m feeling reasonably confident I can still keep doing halfs if I want to. That’s a pretty big shift from where I was mentally not so long ago!

Now if I can just find shoes that don’t torture me…
@PrincessV and some others who seem to be reading this book: is there interest in a separate thread for discussion? I'm curious about how other are interpreting things and also about implementation ideas.

Get Basted Half Marathon Race Report
Time: 1:59:38** (course measured .2 short on my Garmin)

After several attempts to get a new POT for Disney got derailed earlier this year for various reasons, I finally got to race and got my POT! This is a "thank you" race done by a local race director. Anyone that's run one of their races during the year gets free entry (I didn't so had to pay) and then you pay if you want a medal or shirt. They offer 5-K, 10-K, 15-K and HM using a 5-K course with runners doing longer races doing multiple loops. For those of us doing the HM, they added a spur toward the end of our 4th loop to supposedly get us to the 13.1 miles. As anyone that runs in North Georgia knows, elevation for races is always a wild card, but was happy that this one turned out to be mostly flat. Only exception was the extra spur they had the HM do which had the biggest climbs of the race which sucked to say the least. Since it was just a 5-K loop they only had 1 water stop, but I thought that might be the case so brought my Nathan hydration pack and ran with it, so no issue for me. Race was out in the country so no real crowd support other than other racers. Weather was perfect with temps right a 50 at the start and only rising slightly.

Since I hadn't raced a HM in over 5 years (I typically don't push my races at Disney), I decided to be a bit conservative. I set an "A" goal of sub 2:05 and a "B" goal of sub 2:08. Based on my recent run data, I knew these were both easily achievable, but you never know what can happen on race day. My plan was to shoot for 9:30 miles for first 6 miles and see how I felt. Of course I went out too fast, but settled into miles around 9:20 and was feeling good so stuck with it. Never looked at my total time, so when I finally did after crossing the finish and seeing 1:59 I was shocked! Now I also quickly noticed that it measured only 12.9 miles, so the course was obviously a bit short. So I won't claim a sub 2:00, but even if my time had been 2:02 for a full course, it would still be my second fastest HM ever and fastest by over 8 minutes in last 10 years! So I will absolutely take it, especially since I finished knowing I still had more to give.

A huge shout out to @DopeyBadger for helping create training plans to get me where I am today. I turn 50 next February and I am running my fastest times in 10+ years and I am doing it injury free which has absolutely not been the case for most of my running career.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter