The Running Thread - 2018

Expos!!! We are lucky to get a lot of very large expos in Chicago and sometimes it feels like a contest to see who can outshine each other with medal size and free swag.
Also everything else people already said. :)

I wish the smaller local races were better at communication on race dates/registration etc. Seems like you have to really dig through parks dept websites and not even those are very good. At the very least have easy to understand Facebook information!!!

ATTQOTD: Along with Running in the usa, I have used The Houston Area Running calendar site since there is a pretty large number of races in my area. Another good one to use to research marathons is FindMyMarathon.com. I like the way you can compare different marathons on its site.

After looking at a few recipes, I saw one that mentioned lamb! It has been forever since I cooked some, so of course I went and picked up a leg of lamb. So many good spices and herbs! Cooked to a internal temp of 150 and delicious!!! I also picked up some Brussels sprouts from our farmers market. DW's immediate response once I told her I picked some up was "I'm not eating that!". I told her just like we encourage DD to try something new, so did she. So i cut them in half, then added a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and roasted them in the oven. DW tried and even enjoyed them, as did I. We were both surprised. lol

I roast most of my veggies in the oven. It's super easy and I can make a lot at one time to eat for snacks and lunch!

ATTQOTD: When I lived in South Florida I used Active and RunningInTheUSA. Now that I'm in central FL I use those too, but there's always info on banners around town, Facebook and in our town newsletter about local races. People really like to run around here LOL!

I need something like MarathonGuide but for Half Marathons.

The good news is most marathons have a half marathon that starts with it. The info for the marathon should give you a good idea on how the half is as well. The big marathons are the ones without a half most of the times... NYC, Chicago, Boston, ect.

ATTQOTD: A few sources. runnningintheusa.com for sure. A lot of the races I do are through a local road running club, so I keep tabs on their website to see if they're hosting races we might like. My neighbor friend that peer-pressured me in to doing my first 10k last year is also pretty plugged-in to local races and has run many, so he's a great resource, too.

Strava has been in the news for its heat map which is interesting, but I was also curious how things looked around the areas I run as well as at WDW. Use this LINK for your area and other POI. For the area I run at home it seems to get a good amount of traffic. Not a whole lot surrounding my area though.

ATTQOTD: internet for me. No one else I know runs except for a brother and cousin in another state, and those two do ultra marathons and things way out of my league so they are really no help.

Strava has been in the news for its heat map which is interesting, but I was also curious how things looked around the areas I run as well as at WDW. Use this LINK for your area and other POI. For the area I run at home it seems to get a good amount of traffic. Not a whole lot surrounding my area though.

Interesting. I'm not sure how to really interpret what is a lot of heat or not, but I can definitely see the route that we routinely run represented on there.

ATTQOTD: I usually use Houston Area Running calendar. There are a lot of races around here. I have occasionally used Running in the USA.

Hot Chocolate 15k report: I finished!! Haha. I was using it more as a long run for Princess training than a goal race. That being said, my longest run previous to the race was 7 miles. I didn't carry water (thinking the aid stations on course would be enough), but it was humid and gross and I should have. I was desperately tired at mile 7.5. I finished leapfrogging with the 13 min/mile pacer which is really good for a long run for me and with a time I was proud of considering my preparation level. I enjoyed all the sweet goodies at the end, until my stomach decided to revolt all the way home. Oops. I thought for it being the first year in Houston it was well organized.

QOTD: How do you find out about races? Word of mouth, a website, race expos, ect??

I rely pretty heavily on word of mouth and personal experiences when it comes to determining whether I check out a new race, especially if it's on a smaller/local scale in a city I'm not familiar with.

Locally/regionally - when I find a race organizer that I like, I tend to go all-in and do as many of their events that fit with my schedule. In DFW, this is Cox Racing and Social Running. I also know which organizers to steer clear of (I'm looking at you, Mellew!).

For national events (ie. Rock 'n' Roll, Ragnar), it depends on schedule and my desire to travel to that location. I also check out BibRave for ideas, advice ... or I annoy people around here for their feedback.

QOTD: How do you find out about races? Word of mouth, a website, race expos, ect??

Friends recommendations, local DMV running store emails, and Google, mostly.

I have a friend lobbying for Kiawah Island in early December though. I've never heard of that one before. Has anyone done it or know much about it?

I’m running the half here with several friends in December! I’ve heard it’s a flat and scenic course.

ATTQOTD: Mainly our local running group, running in the USA, word of mouth or social media. So basically what everyone else has said!

I’m running the half here with several friends in December! I’ve heard it’s a flat and scenic course.

How cool! My friend has a brother in law with a beach house there so she’s trying to see if he’ll let us use it. If so, we’ll probably do this race. It sounds like it’s beautiful.

My local running store - www.playmakers.com - has a good list of local races. I also get emails from the Michigan Fitness Foundation with races around the state. I like the running store - any race they are doing just seems better organized than the races that store isn't affiliated with. The out of town races we've done have been Disney and in Ohio. I stumbled on the Ohio race, my cousin helped organize the race and had posted about it on Facebook.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter