• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I have spectated/took pictures of running club folks at the Houston marathon a couple of times. once around mile 23, and once at the team tent at mile 21 after I finished the half.

Bonus: let the basketball binge begin. Hoping for many close games. I have 3 brackets filled out, with 3 different winners.

ATTQOTD: I've never spectated any running events aside from local races. I have watched the Amgen Tour of California come through a few different times however. Last time it was just a couple blocks from our house so that was pretty cool.

Bonus ATTQOTD: Not a basketball fan but as a sports fan in general I'm sure I'll end up watching a few games. I tend to cheer for the underdog.

ATTQOTD: I spectate high school track and cross country when my daughter was in them.

@LSUlakes please add a race for me: Bentonville half marathon, March 30, no goal.

I signed up because the swag looks GREAT.

I've run this race twice. It's really fun and well supported. They, like many other races, talk about conquering the hill, but that final hill in this course is truly NO JOKE. I don't know if you've looked at the course elevation or are familiar with it already, but it's a really bugger and on the last mile of the race no less. That said, it's a great event.

ATTQOTD: I spectate high school track and cross country when my daughter was in them.

I've run this race twice. It's really fun and well supported. They, like many other races, talk about conquering the hill, but that final hill in this course is truly NO JOKE. I don't know if you've looked at the course elevation or are familiar with it already, but it's a really bugger and on the last mile of the race no less. That said, it's a great event.

Thanks for the warning. That elevation map is no joke!

ATTQOTD: I’ve never spectated anything running. Son was into soccer and daughter into rodeo.

Bonus QOTD: No brackets here. Will probably end up watching a few games or parts of games but that’s it.

Question: Is there something specific that makes something a 'trail' race? It is marathon weekend in my town, and I am not at all interested in that distance, and not trained for the half, and have cancelled our family trip (because work is terrible and I just cannot be gone for the week), but I am tempted by the 10K. I ran it last year and was surprised it was partially off road, but now that I have a bit more perspective, I am giving their claim to "10K trail race" a bit of side eye. A little over 5K is through hilly unpaved parkland, but the rest is on roads- and while the streets are currently more rugged than the trail due to all the spring pot holes, it seems odd to me that they could call it a trail run. As I know few people who run, I am looking here to answer the question that really only means anything to me- is this really a trail race?
I mean, I am still considering biking to the start at 6am to last minute register, regardless, but it seems a bit sketchy to me.

Answers to previous questions of the day:

I don't wear running shorts and I don't understand how other people do--like literally do not understand how I'm meant to keep my thighs from eating them. It was life-changing when I discovered running capris; since I started wearing them I've been able to run AND feel comfortable for the first time in my life.

Music vs. Watch: Watch, every time. I prefer to have music, but I've gone without on a number of runs. Data, though, is vital. It's a huge motivator for me.

I've never spectated a running event. I've never been very interested in spectating sports in general, tbh, outside of the Olympics.

@LSUlakes two notes for the race list:

April 28 - YawningDodo - Ice Breaker 3 mile (ng)

And my June half marathon registration is officially changed to a 10K:

June 8 - YawningDodo - Governor's Cup 10K (finish)

Question: Is there something specific that makes something a 'trail' race? It is marathon weekend in my town, and I am not at all interested in that distance, and not trained for the half, and have cancelled our family trip (because work is terrible and I just cannot be gone for the week), but I am tempted by the 10K. I ran it last year and was surprised it was partially off road, but now that I have a bit more perspective, I am giving their claim to "10K trail race" a bit of side eye. A little over 5K is through hilly unpaved parkland, but the rest is on roads- and while the streets are currently more rugged than the trail due to all the spring pot holes, it seems odd to me that they could call it a trail run. As I know few people who run, I am looking here to answer the question that really only means anything to me- is this really a trail race?
I mean, I am still considering biking to the start at 6am to last minute register, regardless, but it seems a bit sketchy to me.
I think trail runners would look at it and say, “sure, ok.” But if they didn’t call it a trail run and a roadie went on it they would be like, “what the xxxx is this, I almost rolled my ankle 8 times.” To which the trail runner would reply, “my ankles are permanently rolled.”

I said to a friend a few weeks back, “I’m not sure if I love trail running or I hate my ankles.”

QOTD: Have you ever gone to spectate a competitive running event? High School, College, Olympic?

ATTQOTD: I've never been to one of the events listed. The closest thing I have been to was watching the Boston Marathon 5k in 2013. Some amazingly fast times!

Bonus QUESTION! Today starts March madness! Who are you excited to see play and how far do you think they make it? How man brackets did you fill out?

Bonus Answer: Excited about my Tigers, but expectations are low without Will Wade. I think they can make it to the field of 16. No brackets for me... GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

I have watched a track competition at my daughters school and the last 4 years in a row I have run the BAA 10k. So while I was in the race I still watched the elites run by. I saw Shalane Flanagan on her way to setting an American records for the 10k the year she ran it and Meb ran it the last two years I believe.

I think trail runners would look at it and say, “sure, ok.” But if they didn’t call it a trail run and a roadie went on it they would be like, “what the xxxx is this, I almost rolled my ankle 8 times.” To which the trail runner would reply, “my ankles are permanently rolled.”

I said to a friend a few weeks back, “I’m not sure if I love trail running or I hate my ankles.”

Fair point. They changed the course last year AFTER the sign up and I was one of those 'what the xxxx is this!' people as the course veered off the pavement. I thought of it as my first surprise half trail race and automatically a PR :)

Yeah, I'm with you - a "trail race", to me, is on a surface that isn't paved. Dirt, grass, rocks, creek beds, crushed shell, mud - any of those, but not asphalt or concrete. I think they probably should have called it a "10K on a combination of road and trail."

That sinking feeling you get when you recheck the parameters for the morning training run you are most UN-enthusiastic about and realize you're supposed to do it at Half marathon pace (and not marathon pace)...ugh.
-----Followed by-----
The satisfying feeling of making a course adjustment to go to the local HS track, where you settle into a lap-running groove, and get it done.....Aaaaahhhhh.

Our fearless leader @LSUlakes posted a bonus question yesterday so I think we're up to date with QOTD.....but in case you need one more before the first weekend of Spring:

QOTD: Have you ever volunteered (or considered it) at a running event in some capacity? If so, what did you do and which event? Would you recommend doing it?

ATTQOTD: YES. My family and I volunteered for a local color run. We were in charge of a color stop and made sure to ask permission to saturate runners with the various colors provided. Not all runners wanted to participate. It was an out/back course so we got everybody twice! I also took random pictures and submitted to the race director.
It was a lot of fun.

I would like to volunteer at a bigger event one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter