The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I am going to have to cheat because my favorite words of advice are 7 words. "She believed she could, so she did". I guess the non-cheating answer would be "Believe in yourself". My mental game is my biggest weakness, so these types of sayings motivate me. I love everyone else's answers and will be stealing some of those as well!

ATTQOTD: "Look for the fun part"

Sometimes for me it's picking a more scenic route. Or listening to my favorite music. Or wearing something especially cute (I know!) Or choosing a race with a fun atmosphere. Or going to a race with people that I like. Or picking out a show or youtube vlog to watch on the treadmill.
Or most importantly just enjoying moving quickly forward by my own power aka I just like the act of running.

Usually when I lose my way it's when life gets "adultey" and stressful and I forget the above. And then it's really hard for me to just get the energy to put on my running shoes.

So option 2 is "just put on your shoes"

Does anyone own a Sole treadmill? Looking for the good, the bad and the ugly.

Question of the Day: What 5 or less words of advice were the most useful to you in your running journey?
ATTQOTD: "Just get out and run"

When I first started working full time, I found myself becoming more and more overweight and out of shape over the years. One day, after realizing I had gained 30 lbs in the last five years, I said to myself - just get out and run with the goal of getting back into shape. I remember those first few months being tough but once I got over the hump, running became something I enjoyed and have been doing it consistently now for the last 25 years.

I still tell people this when they say they are having trouble getting started and/or keeping it going. Don't worry about how far you run or how fast. Just get out and run. Making the effort is so much more important than the results.

ATTQOTD: I have 2 words. “Be consistent”

I have a friend who decided to run a half marathon. She had a lot of encouraging friends, but she ran maaayyybe once a week (more like every other week) and never ran more than 8 miles as her longest run. Her race was miserable and she hasn’t run since.

So run slow, run a few miles at a time, do a run-walk strategy, but get out there and run consistently.

Maybe to stretch it to 5 I’d say “Be consistent, make it routine”

I purchased the Sole F80 treadmill late last year. I see that they've updated all of their models for 2019 so mine would be slightly different compared to a new one. Good: quiet, excellent warranty, easy to assemble. Bad: mileage shows only to the tenth of the mile (they may have changed this for the 2019 model but check it out if you prefer to the hundreth digit). Ugly: haven't found it yet. I don't use the treadmill that much as I prefer to run outside but it was a lifesaver with this past winter's ice and cold!

When I was young and just trying to run the fastest mile that I could, my mantra was "If you ain't puking, you ain't trying"

When I took on longer distances I worked with trainer who taught me to "Train slow to race fast"

Now that I am older, it is simply "I run because I can" or "I am glad that I get to run today" or some variation. It is now about enjoying my runs, because they truly make me happy.

Now, if only I could learn to enjoy dreadmills. :upsidedow

With @LSUlakes where I would prefer to be, I volunteered to cover the QOTD in his absence. One of the most helpful QOTD for me was when it was asked was 'what advice you would give to new runners in 5 or less words.' I still look to that list. So I want to revive and modify this.

Question of the Day:
What 5 or less words of advice were the most useful to you in your running journey?

My ATTQOTD:
I have many things that I pull out, but the one that I refer to frequently is:

"Do what you can today"

sometimes that can be 6 miles, sometimes it is a half mile walk, sometimes it is a nap, and it is all ok.

"Run your own race"

We have one. I hate it personally. My girlfriend likes it but I can't use it. It takes forever to change speeds. I do run walk so when I change speeds it feels like it takes like 30 seconds before it starts to adjust. So if I know I have a walk break coming up for example I need to drop the speed about 30 seconds before I actually need to walk and vice versa for the other direction. My girlfriend's walk and run speeds aren't as drastic as mine so she might not notice it. The other thing that bothers me is the belt. I can't explain what I mean but it feels like when I take a step sometimes the impact from my foot on the belt stops the belt so it messes up my steps because the belt isn't always moving. It may be a nice treadmill for the home, I just compared it to the ones at the gym so that may be my problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter