The Running Thread - 2019

I purchased the Sole F80 treadmill late last year. I see that they've updated all of their models for 2019 so mine would be slightly different compared to a new one. Good: quiet, excellent warranty, easy to assemble. Bad: mileage shows only to the tenth of the mile (they may have changed this for the 2019 model but check it out if you prefer to the hundreth digit). Ugly: haven't found it yet. I don't use the treadmill that much as I prefer to run outside but it was a lifesaver with this past winter's ice and cold!

"Run your own race"

We have one. I hate it personally. My girlfriend likes it but I can't use it. It takes forever to change speeds. I do run walk so when I change speeds it feels like it takes like 30 seconds before it starts to adjust. So if I know I have a walk break coming up for example I need to drop the speed about 30 seconds before I actually need to walk and vice versa for the other direction. My girlfriend's walk and run speeds aren't as drastic as mine so she might not notice it. The other thing that bothers me is the belt. I can't explain what I mean but it feels like when I take a step sometimes the impact from my foot on the belt stops the belt so it messes up my steps because the belt isn't always moving. It may be a nice treadmill for the home, I just compared it to the ones at the gym so that may be my problem.

Thanks for the replies! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

With @LSUlakes at the happiest place on earth, I'm doing one more QOTD (I guess I did not ask if he would be back for Monday)

Fun Friday Question of the Day:
If you were a race director and were looking to theme a race not at a Disney Property after a Disney World/Land/Sea/Paris/HongKong/Shanghai (or what ever I missed) attraction, what would it be? You may choose a different theme for different distances if you are feeling creative.

Also, Tower of Terror is off limits as it was already a race theme :)

Fun Friday Question of the Day: If you were a race director and were looking to theme a race not at a Disney Property after a Disney World/Land/Sea/Paris/HongKong/Shanghai (or what ever I missed) attraction, what would it be? You may choose a different theme for different distances if you are feeling creative.
ATTQOTD: Pirates is probably the easiest to theme for an entire race outside of Disney. Small World would be interesting...Different lands represented and the song blaring throughout the entire course.

For Disney, I am surprised they have not done a villains themed race. Judging by the popularity of villains, it would sell out quickly.

If you were a race director and were looking to theme a race not at a Disney Property after a Disney World/Land/Sea/Paris/HongKong/Shanghai (or what ever I missed) attraction, what would it be? You may choose a different theme for different distances if you are feeling creative.

Haunted Mansion comes to mind immediately. They already have the grave diggers out at the marathon. They certainly could add more characters and theming on course from that attraction.

Another idea that they sort of did at Disneyland would be Toy Story, you have four attractions at WDW to work with there and numerous characters. The course could go through Toy Story Land.

Finally I think you could do a Society of Explorers and Adventurers. This is a theme that goes across several parks and several attractions world wide. For example Albert Falls is part of SEA, Harrison Hightower (Tokyo tower of terror), Miss Adventure Falls (Typhoon Lagoon), Adventurers Club, Skipper Canteen, Oasis (Disneyland), Lord Mystic (Mystic Manor HK). It’s basically one giant adventure theme.

Finally I think you could do a Society of Explorers and Adventurers. This is a theme that goes across several parks and several attractions world wide. For example Albert Falls is part of SEA, Harrison Hightower (Tokyo tower of terror), Miss Adventure Falls (Typhoon Lagoon), Adventurers Club, Skipper Canteen, Oasis (Disneyland), Lord Mystic (Mystic Manor HK). It’s basically one giant adventure theme.

I have no idea what most of this is!!

Haunted Mansion is also the first one I thought of although Pirates would be good as well.

With @LSUlakes at the happiest place on earth, I'm doing one more QOTD (I guess I did not ask if he would be back for Monday)

Fun Friday Question of the Day:

Also, Tower of Terror is off limits as it was already a race theme :)

To answer my question:
I would theme a kids race of less than a mile to the Disney Jr. Dance party so I could convince my kids to run it with me. Also, I could use the Lion Guard clip of zebras hollering "Panic and Run!"
I would use Matterhorn (my favorite DL ride) as a trail 10K, largely because I do not think I could do much more of a mountain run.
I considered Its a small world as it is my overall favorite ride, but I thought no one would come run it with the song playing around the course, even for a mile.

ATTQOTD: Haunted Mansion would definitely make a fun halloween type race. Who am I kidding? It'd be fun any time! In the summer, when it's warm (ya know, for authenticity) could do some safari themed race.

To answer my question:
I would theme a kids race of less than a mile to the Disney Jr. Dance party so I could convince my kids to run it with me. Also, I could use the Lion Guard clip of zebras hollering "Panic and Run!"
I would use Matterhorn (my favorite DL ride) as a trail 10K, largely because I do not think I could do much more of a mountain run.
I considered Its a small world as it is my overall favorite ride, but I thought no one would come run it with the song playing around the course, even for a mile.
Awww, mountain running’s not so bad. It’s a lot of walking.

ATTQOTD: This is a bit of a stretch and would be hard to pull off, but it'd be fun to do a Carousel of Progress race. You could run through different eras and the sections of town would look like those times, complete with how people were dressed and cars (or lack of).

I really loved reading everyone's responses yesterday and today! SO many good reminders. My advice would be "Stop comparing, run for fun."

ATTQOTD: My gut reaction was a Little Mermaid themed race along the coast of California. There could be a kid's "I am not a guppy" race. Then, you know, some other cleverly themed distances....
A Frozen race in a cold or snowy place would be neat.
If they did a Cars race on Route 66 through Seligman, AZ (OMG I had no idea that was the town Radiator Springs was created after, thanks Google!).

I wasn't on the boards yesterday so I missed all the mantra fun. Just finished a really crappy treadmill run that I cut short and now I want to go run again...

"Do what you can today"
sometimes that can be 6 miles, sometimes it is a half mile walk, sometimes it is a nap, and it is all ok.
I wholeheartedly support naps

And now I’ve graduated to: “You can do hard things.”
Mine is an abbreviated version of that. It's just "Do Hard Things"

I would love any race that actually incorporated riding the ride as part of the run.
For example a mountain Marathon that had you riding Space, Thunder, and Everest would be fun.

A "stitch's great escape" run where instead of being swept, if you don't make a time cutoff they make you sit through the attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter