The Running Thread - 2019

Picking a favorite race moment is difficult!

As cheesy as it sounds, I basically loved every second of my 1st (&only) marathon. I never even put my headphones in, marking the first time I had run without them. I specifically loved running through the parks, seeing DIS-ers on course, and hearing my name in the baseball stadium. I cherish those memories.

I also clearly remember seeing/hearing my husband cheering for me near the finish line of my 1st half- such a great feeling!

I've enjoy the (few) other races I've done, but nothing can compare to those rD memories!

Favorite Race moment is running down Main St., gets me every time even when I was super sick. The lights, the crowd, the castle, it's just emotional. Second is seeing family twice cheering during the marathon this year even when I felt awful near the end.

I can't think of a single favorite race moment of a non-Disney race. I guess Peachtree 10k a few weeks ago was by far the largest race I've done so it's the most memorable nonDisney race for many reasons like getting tripped by a Marathonfoto photog right before the start and getting banged up, to all the crowd, things being thrown out like sweatbands during the race & just mass amounts of people.

Favorite race moment is probably finishing my first marathon. I never thought it was something I wanted to do or could do and now I’ve done it three times.

Other favorite moments would be running and experiencing races with friends. My first few races were all alone but now after doing this for several years I’ve come to be such good friends with people here and elsewhere that it makes the races so much fun.

Yes, I spent a couple of months in that place you are in now. I am running again but before every run wonder, "what is going to hurt today?"
My stuff hurts before I even start running. I was playing basketball at my in-laws on Easter and slid on some flowers that had fallen on the driveway from their tree and slid across the driveway. I have had a burning pain in my knee to the left of my knee cap since. My knee feels like its going to give out all the time. I fear I tore something but then again I feel my ankle is torn and they tell me it's not.

I am going to Maine for vacation starting tomorrow. I am bringing my running shoes and all my braces and I will try to figure out a way to get in a few miles even if it hurts. Since the doctor tells me there is no danger to my ankle I will see how much pain I can handle.

Now that Seinfeld and running has come up I’m thinking of The Hot Tub episode. Where Elaine had a runner (Jean-Paul?) staying with her for the New York Marathon. Jerry causes him to oversleep and then while Running he takes a cup from Krama to toss on himself to cool down, but instead of water it’s hot coffee.
Or the one when the marathoners stay in Kramer's apartment and oversleep an Olympic qualifying race if memory serves. It might even be the same episode given how many divergent storylines coalesce in the last 2 minutes of some episodes.
I got super choked up.
That reminds me. During my very first half, I saw an elderly lady sitting in a wheelchair near Downtown Disney in Anaheim with a sign that said "Hello Total Stranger. I'm Proud of You Too."

So....7-8 minute miles? ;)
If I am lucky. My first run was a “ralk”. I set my watch for 3 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking. The running portion was 11:30-12 pace. I averaged somewhere around a 14 min/mile pace. I then switched to 4 minutes run/ 2 minutes walk. I was thrilled when the running parts were 10-11 minute pace. That run averaged an 11:13 pace ( I cheated and ran through some of the walk intervals). I did my first all running run June 27 and that was a 10:18 pace and proud of that one. Three days later I did my first treadmill run. I have always loved the treadmill. Incline was pancake flat and I did 10 miles progression with a 9:20 avg. I won’t lie, it was SO HARD. July 3&4 I was down to a 9:30 pace outside, doing 8-9 miles. July 6, I did a 10 mile treadmill progression. That workout has always been key to me getting faster. In my best shape, I did it in 1:04. That day, it took about 1:23 for 8:19 pace. I was so happy with that and it felt so, so hard. July 8, I did 8.3 miles outside at a 10:08 pace. About 1.8 miles into that one, I tripped on a sidewalk crack and came down hard on my shoulder and hands. Grateful that no one saw it and I avoided my face this time. I got up, wiped the blood with my shirt, said a few bad words to myself, and continued—but slowed down.

I ran twice in Disneyland on a treadmill because it was early and dark, only 3-4 miles each. In San Diego I ran 3 times, 5.5 miles, 9 miles, and 7 miles. Each run got faster, but those were mostly easy.

Where am I at now? I did an 8 mile progression Sunday with a 7:33 average. I have run a couple miles at the end of a few progression runs under 7 minute pace. And it feels like death. I walk funny for the rest of the day, but then again, I think I have a permanent limp. I ran 10 outside last Saturday and the heat hit me hard.

I can go faster on the treadmill—it is flat, smooth, cool with 2 fans on me, and no stupid sidewalk cracks. No matter what, I have to start very slow and it takes me awhile to speed up. Every run feels hard!

My stuff hurts before I even start running. I was playing basketball at my in-laws on Easter and slid on some flowers that had fallen on the driveway from their tree and slid across the driveway. I have had a burning pain in my knee to the left of my knee cap since. My knee feels like its going to give out all the time. I fear I tore something but then again I feel my ankle is torn and they tell me it's not.

I am going to Maine for vacation starting tomorrow. I am bringing my running shoes and all my braces and I will try to figure out a way to get in a few miles even if it hurts. Since the doctor tells me there is no danger to my ankle I will see how much pain I can handle.
Same. I know how my day will go by how bad I hurt walking to the bathroom first thing in the morning. This is why I hate early morning running. I need time for parts to wake up and settle down.

ATTQOTD memorable moments: When I think back, I realize that my most memorable race moments are just before and right after the start. Arriving at the race site, taking in the vibe, assessing the day and setting mini-goals, following a warmup routine and then, the nervous excitement until the start. Gets me every time. The most memorable was my very first official 10k, around a lake. My objective was to finish under one hour and it was crazy hot. I did it! The feeling at the first km marker was incredible... I was there, it was happening.

ATTQOTD: I have 3. Finishing my very first race (a 10k) in June 2017 and realizing that completing the WDW half marathon in January 2018 would be doable. Going down Main Street during the 2018 WDW half marathon; I started to cry as I kept repeating in my head “I made it. I really made it.”. Finishing that same half marathon in under 3 hours.

Thanks for this QOTD. I needed to think about the good memories since I am still firmly on the disabled list.

Shoe question for the group. I have been running in Saucony guides for a couple years and continued with them as they changed models. Recently I have looked online for a few new pairs and they are coming up for sale at places like famous footwear and sears and other mainstream type places. Would this alarm anyone about the quality? I have always heard to not buy running shoes at the big box type stores.

Shoe question for the group. I have been running in Saucony guides for a couple years and continued with them as they changed models. Recently I have looked online for a few new pairs and they are coming up for sale at places like famous footwear and sears and other mainstream type places. Would this alarm anyone about the quality? I have always heard to not buy running shoes at the big box type stores.
You’re fine if they are ones you normally buy. Buying at a big box store is a problem if you need to be fitted for new shoes or have no idea what you are looking for. A running store is then a better idea.

You’re fine if they are ones you normally buy. Buying at a big box store is a problem if you need to be fitted for new shoes or have no idea what you are looking for. A running store is then a better idea.

I was thinking it is probably ok but have a history of buying shoes that stopping getting made. Was trying to figure out if I needed a new shoe but on the plus side the guide is a pretty good price

I was thinking it is probably ok but have a history of buying shoes that stopping getting made. Was trying to figure out if I needed a new shoe but on the plus side the guide is a pretty good price

I see the Guide ISO 2 listed at Saucony's site, so maybe it's just closing out the older Guide ISO?

I second this. When I go to a running store and find a pair that I like after getting fitted and running in them, I will buy a pair there, then go online and try to find more pairs at a cheaper price and stock up a bit.

This. When I was fitted for the first time, or if I were to switch styles, I'd go to a running store. It's the expertise that's missing from the big box stores. The shoes are the same. If you already know what you want, go for it! I get mine wherever I can get them cheapest now.

Thanks for the advice. They had a tremendous deal at famous footwear but don’t have my size. Booo. Oh well I have one more pair in the closet
I've found decent deals on my shoes at: Runningwarehouse.com, Road Runner Sports, 6pm, and Dick's Sporting Goods. Also, try using Shoekicker - it searches for the lowest price on your shoe of choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter