The Running Thread - 2019

July 2019

running: 64.0 mi
average pace: 11:51
total time: 12.65 h

This is about half my mileage from the previous month because I had a half-marathon on July 14 and haven't run since then.

tennis: 6 h

This is less than 20% of June's tennis because I was resting both before and after my HM.

For the second half of July, we have been in Italy! Not to say that we are taking it easy, as we are walking everywhere. Two days now I've gotten about 35,000 steps. But sadly, I don't think any amount of walking is going to make up for the amount of cheese and gelato I've been eating.:confused3

July running:

75 miles total
average pace: 11:49 min/mi

I haven't posted my stats here in a while but I need the motivation to get into it again. I've started doing some strength training this summer, hoping it will pay off. This isn't counting the mile here and there I've jogged with my senior dog recently! I'm thrilled she's into it. Other cross training is walking with my family. I don't keep track but maybe 50 miles this month or more. I'm a little nervous to start training for Goofy when the time comes because I have definitely been enjoying this loosey-goosey approach to running.

July totals for me
Running: 110 km (68.5 miles), average pace of 6.42 min/km (10.43 min/mile)
Walking (as exercise): 92 km

Quite pleased to have hit my 100 km/month target! Just hoping I can keep this up until the end of the year (might be tricky as work is going to get busier...)

July Totals:

Swim: 18,000 meters
Cycle: 294 miles
Run: 104 miles

Missed several swim workouts and need to improve there. Bumped up running miles but only a few speed workouts. August goal is to significantly increase swim distance and running speed.

Disappointing July totals....

Only 35 miles for the month. Got the clear from the doc to run two weeks ago. Tried to ease back into it. Haven't had any heel pain at all but my tendinitis flared back up this weekend and I haven't run since Sunday. My hunch was it was the shoes and I went and got fitted again yesterday. Tried on the Hoka Cliftons and it felt like running on a cloud. Hoping it helps once I start running again. Been needing some motivation for cross training so I signed up for the Beachbody membership. Hoping it all starts to come together soon!

July Totals:

Distance: 126.5 miles
Average Pace: 8:20/mi

July 4th and anniversary trip cost me some miles, but my mileage should ramp up pretty significantly through the end of the year, as I go from pre-marathon training, to marathon training, and finally the marathon itself in Dec. Pretty happy with my pace, considering my average T+D is right around 160.

July Totals
44 miles
average pace of 12:44

I expected one of those numbers to be higher and one lower. Upon reflection, they are nearly identical to July 2018's numbers, so if I can just repeat August 2018 next month I will be where I thought I would be this month. For July I had planned for two long runs on a weekend, but neither of them happened (I could not resist the kiddo who asked me to stay home and skip running to play and make breakfast together!). Adjusting my targets, I would like to get at least one run of >7 miles in during August and 3 runs/week except while in FL (I am already worried about heat stroke, no need to exhaust myself!). It would have to go significantly better than that for me to bite the bullet and sign up for the September half I have been eying. I would prefer to find one in early October, but I do not think it will work out.

July miles = 154. One of the hottest July's on record in Connecticut. I have always said I prefer running in the heat over the cold. I guess I am walking the talk.

June = 138
May = 150
April = 115
March = 140
February = 122
January = 123

942 total miles so far in 2019.

Happy to have run 62 miles this month as I seem to be totally recovered from my hip injury. Looking to ramp up to 4x/week in August and around 20-25 miles/week. No races planned, just run for fun (and hopefully to drop a few pounds, although that doesn't seem to work for me)

Yay! I just mapped out my training for my ultra, then dopey. Taking a week off after the ultra will drop me into week 22 of the Galloway plan and that puts my Peak for dopey the week before the start of the ski town Holliday rush so that works out well.

Looking ahead to next year, I think I am going to focus on the Utah based Cirque Series races and anything similar, since they are shorter and vertier than my races this year and I can use splitboarding as a legitimate training method. It would be nice to actually really enjoy the snow(even though it will probably be a garbage snowfall year this year).

DH here:
July 2019
Running 26.1 miles. Hard to believe I'll eclipse that in a single morning next January.
Swimming 2450 yards.

MRI: one. Or should I say: part of one. The ear plugs were too loose, and they put the headphones on with the band under my chin instead of over my head. Anybody else have that happen? I tapped out < half-way through. I could not take that volume of sound any longer.
Ortho MD visits: one. Today. MRI wasn't enough of a scan to show anything. Wants to see what PT does for me. That begins 0715 tomorrow. Given ok to run and swim, as they're not hurting my quad. Standing for long periods causes the worst issue right now. The next time I flex my leg back after that: I feel it.

My August goals: double miles run. Achieve pain-free status. Avoid another MRI. Run with @DopeyBadger when in Wisconsin late August. Request Goofy training plan.

(I could not resist the kiddo who asked me to stay home and skip running to play and make breakfast together!)
That's a major positive in my book. When I faced important decisions as an adult, I knew I could turn to my parents. Not because they were my parents, but instead because they both showed me with their actions how much we mattered to them. Those missed runs are major deposits into your future relationship with the kiddo when they're no longer a kiddo.

No data for July just yet as I'm hoping to get a run in today. As for a sneak preview, July went much better than June.

July Totals
126.02 miles (12.01 were straight-up walking miles with family members after medical procedures)
11:53 pace (I didn't take the time to disaggregate the running vs. walking data. All my "runs" are really run/walks anyway!)
800.06 miles YTD

So a few more miles than last month, but at a slower average pace. Not bad, considering my age, July heat, Georgia humidity, and family responsibilities. I'm just proud to be posting mileage with you all!

July Training Summary

Running duration = 13:29 hours
Running mileage = 92.7 miles
Average Pace = 8:44 min/mile (about 13% slower than estimated LT pace)
Average HR = 144 (75% HRR)
Indoor Cycling duration = 23:44 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 393.2 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 174 watts (73% FTP)
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 189 watts (79% FTP)
80 Day Obsession = 10:21 hours
Total Training Time = 47:30 hours

July 2019 was a decent month for me. It represented the start of my training for the 2020 Disney Marathon using the TrainerRoad High Volume Ironman training plan. The glute issue from May is still not completely resolved, but I have been seeing progress after visiting with a PT. I've got a running analysis scheduled for Aug 21st to help flush out any other issues that might be contributing to the uncomfortable feeling. But it was believed to have occurred because of my weight lifting (Overhead Chest Press) on May 5th. Which then caused a pinch nerve in my lower back near the SI joint which was out of alignment. This was manifesting in a glute pain. The running is being kept at almost exclusively easy until September, which I don't mind given the T+D we've been having this summer. But that average HR is disturbingly high for me. At 75% HRR that means I was averaging mostly long run pace over the month. That's way too fast for my normal training of mostly slow running. I won myself access to a pair of Nike Next % shoes which I'm hoping will become my race day shoe. I've yet to run in them yet as I want to try them sparingly before racing in them so I'm being picky about the dates.

I've had two of my longest indoor cycling rides to date at 3 and 3.25 hours thus far. I finally bought myself a fan, so I'm hoping that'll help with the pool of sweat I've been generating.

I also started 80 Day Obsession back up again. Not doing 6 days per week like I was since December. For this training period, I'm limiting myself to 3x per week. I specifically chose the three workouts to compliment the rest of the training (core, total body, and yoga flow-ish).

Lastly, dropped about 2 pounds from the beginning of the month. So I'm making good progress getting back into racing weight while balancing the necessary endurance gains.

Run with @DopeyBadger when in Wisconsin late August.

We'll need to make sure this happens this time around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter