The Running Thread - 2019

Have you looked at any of the vests? Your post had me looking at the Salamon Skins. I've got a buddy that really likes that. The ones with the long bottle straws so you don't have to pull the bottles out seem interesting, but I worry about getting hot on long runs.

I am not a fan of vests. I have a Camelbak but am not crazy about wearing it. I’m leaning towards a waist pack or a handheld bottle.

@gjramsey happy belated birthday! I happen to know quite a few people with that same birthday - including my son! We were at DL and I woke at 5:30am to get in a 9 mile treadmill run, then 13 hours at DL, then my DH wanted to grab drinks at Trader Sams. I was tuckered out.

PR's: Started late in life and only raced for a year before being interrupted with a baby, so I think I have a few more in me. But I think chasing PR's will be over for me soon. :P

I am a fairly new runner myself, so PRs are still very much a thing for me. But even as I age, things like competing in the Master's group, or improving my finish within my age group, even if overall I am slower, would be great things to use to motivate myself.

I love the voltron-ing medals
That is a huge medal.
I am not a fan of vests. I have a Camelbak but am not crazy about wearing it. I’m leaning towards a waist pack or a handheld bottle.

I have a camelbak for mountain biking but wouldn't run in it because it's too hot and heavy. I've become intrigued with the hydra quiver and the salmon skins just because I'm curious about how bottle position impacts form.

Alright, so here we go.

I have intentionally stayed away from this thread for several months. I had run several races over the past three years, and lost around 90 pounds in the process. I finished the Dark Side Half last year, but just barely (cramps). Decided I'd never do another half, or at least not until I got the cramps situation figured out. Kept running, primarily 5's and 10's, with no issues. Signed up for another half this past Spring. Trained okay for it, with minimal cramping issues. Was having the race of my LIFE until Mile 9, when everything flared back up again. Essentially had to walk the last three miles. That race depleted me like nothing else. I sat for 30 minutes on a bleacher afterwards, unable to move or even lift my head. It was brutal.

Additionally, about 50 yards from the finish line, a guy who I'd seen throughout the race (we were going at nearly exactly the same pace) collapsed in cardiac arrest. I didn't know until several days later that he'd actually survived, thankfully. But that image, and the images of people scrambling over the rails to get to him, have haunted me ever since.

So I just stopped running. Didn't do anything for about three months. Not only was I still a bit shaken by that whole experience, but my calf muscles still felt very weak. I also realized that all the training for the half had really warped my eating habits, so I actually GAINED weight through that whole experience. And now, without any running/walking at all, it got even worse.

It's been four months now, and I'm ready to lace them back up. I'm done with half marathons, and I'm okay with that. I don't have anything to prove. I'm perfectly fine with doing 5's and 10's the rest of my life, and focusing on fitness, not on medals. I "ran" a local one-mile fun run two weeks ago, and while I was slow as molasses, it felt good just to cross a finish line again.

Tonight, I start my training plan again. I'm starting from scratch, training for a 5k in November. I could probably run the thing tomorrow, but I need to fall in love with running again, so I'm starting at square one. Baby steps, and hopefully having a more balanced view of the whole thing.

I had stayed away from this thread because it just kind of stung, you know? I didn't feel like reading about everyone's races, progress, etc. But over time I realized that I need this thread again. So that's why I'm back.

If you read all of this, bless your heart.

I have a camelbak for mountain biking but wouldn't run in it because it's too hot and heavy. I've become intrigued with the hydra quiver and the salmon skins just because I'm curious about how bottle position impacts form.

I have tried several times to like the Hydraquiver and it just doesn't work well for me. One thing to keep in mind, is potential headphone interaction with the bottle. Didn't you recently get Aftershokz? I run in them and had an issue with the band of the Aftershokz and the bottle of a single barrel Hydraquiver hitting each other during the run. Very annoying. I haven't tried a double barrel Hydraquiver to see if it would fix this issue. I do really like the Orange Mud hydration vests, especially the Endurance Pack, though. They're very comfortable to run in, sit higher on the back than most and don't move around. I think the higher back position allows for better airflow around the lower back for cooling purposes. Also, I like that they use Hydrapak bladders which are MUCH easier to clean than Camelbak bladders. You can also fit a flexible bottle in the front pockets if you want to run with a small bottle of Tailwind or similar while still carrying water.

I had stayed away from this thread because it just kind of stung, you know? I didn't feel like reading about everyone's races, progress, etc. But over time I realized that I need this thread again. So that's why I'm back.

Welcome back!

I have tried several times to like the Hydraquiver and it just doesn't work well for me. One thing to keep in mind, is potential headphone interaction with the bottle. Didn't you recently get Aftershokz? I run in them and had an issue with the band of the Aftershokz and the bottle of a single barrel Hydraquiver hitting each other during the run. Very annoying. I haven't tried a double barrel Hydraquiver to see if it would fix this issue. I do really like the Orange Mud hydration vests, especially the Endurance Pack, though. They're very comfortable to run in, sit higher on the back than most and don't move around. I think the higher back position allows for better airflow around the lower back for cooling purposes. Also, I like that they use Hydrapak bladders which are MUCH easier to clean than Camelbak bladders. You can also fit a flexible bottle in the front pockets if you want to run with a small bottle of Tailwind or similar while still carrying water.
I do have Aftershokz, but I don't usually wear them on my long runs. Most of my long runs I do with friends. If I get a hydraquiver it would be a two bottle version. or the endurance pack. I don't really need a new hydration tool though.

PRs... IDK if I'll ever see one again, and I'm honestly fine with that. I'm pushing 50 and deal with a full set of health issues that impact how fast I can run: scoliosis, impaired lung function, and a couple autoimmune disorders. I don't dwell on the health stuff; it just is what it is. The fact that I can run at all is accomplishment enough for me. There's also the fact that I've been running for enjoyment and fitness for the bulk of my life, but only started tracking pace or doing races in 2012, well past my peak years of fitness. But running is my me-time and my therapy - I don't need it to be anything more than that, so I'm good!

That said... all I'd have to do to hit a new marathon PR is run the same slow pace I did in WDW in 2018, but not stop for pics. So there's still a chance, lol! ;)

So I just stopped running. Didn't do anything for about three months. Not only was I still a bit shaken by that whole experience, but my calf muscles still felt very weak. I also realized that all the training for the half had really warped my eating habits, so I actually GAINED weight through that whole experience. And now, without any running/walking at all, it got even worse.

It's been four months now, and I'm ready to lace them back up. I'm done with half marathons, and I'm okay with that. I don't have anything to prove. I'm perfectly fine with doing 5's and 10's the rest of my life, and focusing on fitness, not on medals. I "ran" a local one-mile fun run two weeks ago, and while I was slow as molasses, it felt good just to cross a finish line again.

Tonight, I start my training plan again. I'm starting from scratch, training for a 5k in November. I could probably run the thing tomorrow, but I need to fall in love with running again, so I'm starting at square one. Baby steps, and hopefully having a more balanced view of the whole thing.

Although I didn't have the same haunting/traumatic half marathon experience as you, I was burnt out after a bad half marathon training cycle/race a while back. I took six months off and similarly stayed away from the rD DISboards because I knew I would feel guilty. I started back up about three months ago, and although it was a struggle for the first month or so, I'm really feeling good again about my running and, more importantly, about my attitude toward running. I don't know what training plan you are starting with, but the one piece of advice I would give is for you to use a training plan (versus going on your own). I started back with one of the Garmin training plans (I used the McMillan 5k plan), and although I didn't actually have a 5k race at the end, just the fact that I had a methodical schedule helped me stay consistent during the ramp-up phase.

--------------------------------

ETA: P.S. you may want to change your custom title. It currently states "I'm trying to delete my account."

I don't know what training plan you are starting with, but the one piece of advice I would give is for you to use a training plan (versus going on your own). I started back with one of the Garmin training plans (I used the McMillan 5k plan), and although I didn't actually have a 5k race at the end, just the fact that I had a methodical schedule helped me stay consistent during the ramp-up phase.

I've used Galloway all along, and I'm starting fresh with that one again. Three runs a week, but mixing in more core/strength work during the off days. And not eating so many cheeseburgers.

I had been on medicine for hypothyroidism since I was 18 and all of a sudden, the dose was too high and my heart rate was correspondingly too high. So I worked with the doctor on trying several other doses and getting to a new equilibrium. I'm hoping that I'm at the right place now and can start getting my times back down as well. I may not get back to those PRs but hopefully closer than I am now :)
I totally understand! I was on the same dosage of Synthroid for 15 years and then all of a sudden my levels were out of whack. Walking up a flight of stairs would leave me breathless and my chest felt like it was going to explode whenever I ran. It took a while for me to be on the right dosage so fingers crossed nothing changes. I noticed that whenever my levels were off, my hair would be really dry and my nails were brittle. My doctor has given me a bunch of requisitions so whenever I feel off, I can go for blood work so we can address the issue early.

I totally understand! I was on the same dosage of Synthroid for 15 years and then all of a sudden my levels were out of whack. Walking up a flight of stairs would leave me breathless and my chest felt like it was going to explode whenever I ran. It took a while for me to be on the right dosage so fingers crossed nothing changes. I noticed that whenever my levels were off, my hair would be really dry and my nails were brittle. My doctor has given me a bunch of requisitions so whenever I feel off, I can go for blood work so we can address the issue early.

Sorry you're going through that too but glad I'm not the only one. It just seemed like my hormones and associates systems went out of whack after 40.

Alright, so here we go.

I have intentionally stayed away from this thread for several months. I had run several races over the past three years, and lost around 90 pounds in the process. I finished the Dark Side Half last year, but just barely (cramps). Decided I'd never do another half, or at least not until I got the cramps situation figured out. Kept running, primarily 5's and 10's, with no issues. Signed up for another half this past Spring. Trained okay for it, with minimal cramping issues. Was having the race of my LIFE until Mile 9, when everything flared back up again. Essentially had to walk the last three miles. That race depleted me like nothing else. I sat for 30 minutes on a bleacher afterwards, unable to move or even lift my head. It was brutal.

Additionally, about 50 yards from the finish line, a guy who I'd seen throughout the race (we were going at nearly exactly the same pace) collapsed in cardiac arrest. I didn't know until several days later that he'd actually survived, thankfully. But that image, and the images of people scrambling over the rails to get to him, have haunted me ever since.

If you read all of this, bless your heart.
I swear to goodness I'm not a stalker but I was thinking the other day that you were such a funny guy and you seemed to have disappeared. I'm glad you are back! Go get 'em, almost everybody here has started over at some point.

I may have said this before but switching from a heel strike to a midfoot strike helped my calf issues a lot. Seemed like they weren't absorbing so much shock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter