• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

Thanks!

ATTQOTD: This question is exactly why Garmin added music to the Fenix series and other models of their multi-sport watches. Now you can have both and not really sacrifice the performance of either the music or the watch.
I am waiting for Garmin to endorse or bundle with wireless headphones for this reason. I have yet to spring for them, so the feature is lost on me for now.

ATTQOTD- I use both music/podcasts and a watch during runs. Music would be the first to go but I feel 39% confident that I could give up BOTH if I really had to.
I appreciate your effort to numerically qualify your comment, it made me laugh quite a bit.
Homer Simpson had it correct: "people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that!"

We took third place!!! She ran great all weekend long! Here's a link to the Finals if you want to see our run. We're the 10th dog in.

16" Agility National Championships
Wow thanks for sharing that. It was really neat to watch. Congrats.

QOTD for 3/20/19: Another suggestion from yall as all of this weeks questions have been (Thank you!). Assuming you run with both a watch and music, if you had to do without one, which one are you leaving at home?

ATTQOTD: Since I do not with music, the answer would easily be that....

I'm posting the question tonight because I will be at home with DD tomorrow who has the flu. Hopefully she gets over it soon and no one else gets it either. DD and I leave in 9 days for a weekend trip, which will also conclude the end of of our year of Disney since our AP's expire in April. Fingers crossed!

Hope DD gets better quick.

For the watch/music QOTD, for sure no music - if no watch I don't know if I would run. If it isn't on Strava, did it actually happen?
Agree. If the data isn’t stored it didn’t happen, although for me it’s not Strava.

Qotd: I have shorts with brief liner, with no liner and some with long compression liner. My preference is no liner so i can wear compression shorts of my choice. My least favorite are shorts with a brief liner.

QOTD 3/20. If loose the music before I got rid of my watch.

Attqotd: assuming I’m doing an easy run on the rail trail, I would rather leave the watch at home I need the music for the boredom. On the trails I frequent now, I would leave the music behind since that’s what I do anyway. I have to listen for other users out there, plus I would not have seen some of the animals I have if I hadn’t heard them scurrying.

This week we have the following folks with races:

23 - @KevM - Phillies 5K (NG / N/A)
23 - @cburnett11 - Papa Johns 10 Miler (1:20:xx / N/A)
23 - @QueenFernando - Winter Park 2mi + 10k challenge (1:14 for the 10k / N/A)
24 - @roxymama - Shamrock Shuffle 8k (45:00 / N/A)
24 - @MissLiss279 - Chisholm Trail Marathon (3:59:59 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If you have a change to make to your race, please let me know. Hope its a good race and we look forward to hearing how it goes!

Thought for a future question of the day (based on a common response to the QOTD).....why do so many people get bored when they run? I mean, I see it if it's on a TM, but outside? The change of terrain, the traffic, the people, the birds, the animals, the voices/songs in your head, the weather, the puddles, the pavement, the trail, the kids playing, the dogs barking, the new store that opened up, the ice cream truck song, the mental note to buy new body glide, the score of the game, that ugly house being built......all these things keep me going for 4 or 20 milers.

I guess I'm just easily entertained!

QOTD: Have you ever gone to spectate a competitive running event? High School, College, Olympic?

ATTQOTD: I've never been to one of the events listed. The closest thing I have been to was watching the Boston Marathon 5k in 2013. Some amazingly fast times!

Bonus QUESTION! Today starts March madness! Who are you excited to see play and how far do you think they make it? How man brackets did you fill out?

Bonus Answer: Excited about my Tigers, but expectations are low without Will Wade. I think they can make it to the field of 16. No brackets for me... GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

QOTD: Have you ever gone to spectate a competitive running event? High School, College, Olympic?

Bonus QUESTION! Today starts March madness! Who are you excited to see play and how far do you think they make it? How man brackets did you fill out?
No - running is not a spectator sport for me.

Basketball season ended last night. Time for Spring Football.

ATTQOTD-No spectating for me. I do cheer on family and friends at running events but these are for fun, bling, and beer and competition would be way down the list.

(I have watched on TV but that's not really what you asked).

BONUS-Go UVA. After being the first #1 seed to get bounced by a #16 seed last year, this year has to be better. Right?

ATTQOTD: Never been to watch a competitive running event and have no real interest in doing so.

BQOTD: March Madness lost all interest to me after the selection committee screwed NC State. If you trumpet that you’re going to use a new ranking system as a primary part of the selection process, don’t ignore it and cite an individual component that’s already accounted for in the ranking as the reason!

I've just been cheering at the Marine Corps Marathon, and that's it. That wasn't really for the competition though. We had friends running and were there to cheer them on, just happened to get there early enough to see the lead runners go by.

When I lived in Atlanta, I'd go and watch runners in the Peachtree Road Race on July 4. That was pretty much it until I went to MK to watch the runners come through during the Half Marathon in January. They have a couple of 5k races near where I live now and if I happen to be walking around, I'll cheer on the runners.

I don't really have any team that I'm rooting for. I used to work for a Charlottesville based company, so I will root for Virginia. I'm more rooting for Duke to lose.

Nope. I am a runner but I still find watching running rather boring. I’ll watch a little bit of Boston and the Olympic events but it’s just not exciting for the most part.

Bonus: best two days of the year. 5 TVs ready to go and a boatload of food, drinks, and more. I have 3 brackets. I know Duke is the favorite but I don’t think they will win it all.

ATTQOTD: Both my daughters ran track in High School. Those are the only competitive running events I have spectated in person.

Bonus Answer: I did not fill out brackets this year. I'm just gonna enjoy watching good basketball today and tomorrow. Hartford is a first round host site this year. I would have liked to go to the games in person but that is not happening. However, the city is closing down one of streets outside the arena, which is right across from where I work and turning it into a giant outdoor Brew Pub with bars, TV's playing games, etc. So, I will check that out later this afternoon when the games are underway.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD:
In the years I haven't done the Liberty Mile road race here, I've gone down to watch it since there is a pro field heat that is pretty fun to watch.

Bonus: March Madness is always one of the more enjoyable sports events of year to watch. I filled out three brackets. Zion Williamson is real fun to watch but it's Duke so that has that going against it. No real rooting interests, outside of Penn St. in the NCAA wrestling championships this weekend.

ATTQOTD: Just cheered at a few local races and that’s it.

Bonus question: As mentioned above, NC State didn’t make it but I guess I will pull for the ACC teams. Except for UNC....can’t bring myself to pull for them! No bracket. I started enjoying the tournament more when I stopped filling one out.

ATTQOTD: I spectated the Gasparilla a few years ago, when Meb, Joan Benoit, and Bill Rodgers were competing. That was very fun! But that was it. My high school didn't have running teams - we barely had enough students to comprise the soccer and lacrosse teams! - and if my college did, I never knew about it (they were big in swimming and soccer.)

Bonus QOTD: Much to my late father's disappointment, I hate basketball and don't know what March Madness is, lol!

I have! I've gone to watch big races in DC and Atlanta, and I had a friend run in HS track and field state championships, so we went to cheer for her many, many, many moons ago.

I am not a college basketball fan, but I did fill out a bracket for charity donations at my workplace. I don't see it doing well.

Basketball season ended last night. Time for Spring Football.

Same! Roll tide!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter