The Running Thread--2024

This isn't really cold-weather related, but I just wanted to say that I splurged on those 'Feetures' compression socks, and I love them. I ended up getting 7 or 8 pairs, so I can wear them ~everyday, not just while running.

They are pretty high-quality socks, with "targeted compression" on the arches of both feet. (This means that you have a left sock and a right sock in each pair, which aren't interchangeable.)

I have somewhat flat feet, and have had issues with tendonitis, so I am particularly glad to have the added support. But they're also just really very comfortable for everyday wear!

They're fairly pricey at about $18/pair, but they also have a lifetime guarantee, so if you ever manage to wear through them they should replace them for free. And they are much higher-quality than other running socks I've bought online.

Anybody else try them out? Or have any other must-have running gear?

The preceding has been an unpaid advertisement. The poster has not received any compensation for sharing his opinion. If you want to use this referral link he'll get some kind of rewards credit, but tbh he's not sure what it's for.

I wear Feetures. At Track Shack and every running expo I have ever been to they are usually B2G1 free. Word of advice....don't put them in the dryer. If you do, dry them on the lowest setting possible.

Do you have a brand/model that you prefer? I NEVER have a problem with my hands being too warm, regardless of which handwear I have on.
I don’t know that I have one that I prefer. The ones I have a Burton, and they are probably 10 years old.
IMG_0664.jpeg

Or have any other must-have running gear?
For me, it’s SmartWool socks. I won’t wear anything else for running, and they’re also my favorite non-running socks. Literally the ONLY socks that keep my Raynaud’s-afflicted toes warm, AND they’re equally comfortable in the scorching heat of FL summer. All of that would be more than enough, but every year or so they do a SmartWool X Grateful Dead collab sock that I cannot resist.

I love the Tracksmith merino wool. I ran in their long sleeve Harrier shirt this morning and it keeps you the perfect temperature. A bonus is that you can sweat in it and it does not stink. The only negative is that you have to remember not to put it through the dryer and let it air dry instead.
I have quite a bit of running gear I let air dry even if the instructions don't call for it. I find it lasts way longer and feels new longer. Anything from Tracksmith, anything wool, every singlet, and a few select other things.

The good wool stuff I will wear a bunch of tiles before washing it. It was very weird at first but it is what a lot of people recommended and I swear by it now. It has to be quality wool or wool blend but some of the Smartwool and Tracksmith stuff smells clean after 10 runs.

I wear Feetures. At Track Shack and every running expo I have ever been to they are usually B2G1 free. Word of advice....don't put them in the dryer. If you do, dry them on the lowest setting possible.
Ooh! Do they shrink? I bought a pair a while back that are just a little bit too big, so maybe this would help.

This isn't really cold-weather related, but I just wanted to say that I splurged on those 'Feetures' compression socks, and I love them. I ended up getting 7 or 8 pairs, so I can wear them ~everyday, not just while running.

They are pretty high-quality socks, with "targeted compression" on the arches of both feet. (This means that you have a left sock and a right sock in each pair, which aren't interchangeable.)

I have somewhat flat feet, and have had issues with tendonitis, so I am particularly glad to have the added support. But they're also just really very comfortable for everyday wear!

They're fairly pricey at about $18/pair, but they also have a lifetime guarantee, so if you ever manage to wear through them they should replace them for free. And they are much higher-quality than other running socks I've bought online.

The preceding has been an unpaid advertisement. The poster has not received any compensation for sharing his opinion. If you want to use this referral link he'll get some kind of rewards credit, but tbh he's not sure what it's for.
I wear Balega, and actual running socks is a must. I wore cotton socks in high school and college, and always at blisters.

I'm not too picky when it comes to socks, the cotton ones from Target are fine for me, but I accidentally wore a "non-preferred" pair of socks (Nike brand actually) on my Sunday long run and now have a very gross blood blister on my pinky toe, about the size of a dime. The one time I don't pay attention to what socks I have on.

Welcome to the Feetures cult! These are absolutely my preferred running sock. I got a bunch during a 50% off sale last year and will probably buy more next time I see them on sale.

Word of advice....don't put them in the dryer. If you do, dry them on the lowest setting possible.
I wash and dry them in the delicate cycle and haven't had any problems with that (although they tend to not always dry well so I end up air drying them after)

I wash and dry them in the delicate cycle and haven't had any problems with that (although they tend to not always dry well so I end up air drying them after)
I've just been washing and drying them normally. Haven't noticed any issues so far... (a couple pairs I've had for a year, but the rest for only a few months)

Good morning everyone, QOTD:

What techniques or things do you do (either physical or mental) that makes running seem effortless, easier, more tolerable, like you're gliding, flying, etc....

For example, do you listen to music? Wear a certain pair of shoes or running tights? Take a certain energy shot (beets anyone? 🤣 ), run a certain route on your run?

I am asking because I remember a great discussion with @DopeyBadger a while back when I asked about beets and their benefits and he shared a lot of really good research about how what's effective is really based on what makes the run seem easier. It got me thinking about how I often need to trick myself into this at times (lol). I am fresh off a speed workout this morning with mile repeats at 5k pace (ugh, hard) and I was blaring my music so this is heavy on my mind. Curious what others might think or do?

What techniques or things do you do (either physical or mental) that makes running seem effortless, easier, more tolerable, like you're gliding, flying, etc....

For example, do you listen to music? Wear a certain pair of shoes or running tights? Take a certain energy shot (beets anyone? 🤣 ), run a certain route on your run?

I am asking because I remember a great discussion with @DopeyBadger a while back when I asked about beets and their benefits and he shared a lot of really good research about how what's effective is really based on what makes the run seem easier. It got me thinking about how I often need to trick myself into this at times (lol). I am fresh off a speed workout this morning with mile repeats at 5k pace (ugh, hard) and I was blaring my music so this is heavy on my mind. Curious what others might think or do?
Running downhill makes running seem SO easy. I fly down hills! 😂

My real answer is that running with other people always makes running feel easier. The conversation can be distracting and makes the time and miles go by. That's where I think training last year was such a challenge - I did a LOT of my running alone because I had workouts and wanted to make sure I kept to my paces and I'm realizing it's better mentally for me to at least meet with people and then if I'm a little bit ahead it's okay because at least I can warm up with some friends and if that means my warm up is a little too fast then so be it because the mental benefit of being with other people is worth it. (That was a run on sentence if I've ever read one.)

In terms of other tips and techniques, I don't know that I have one that's foolproof yet for when I do run solo, so I'm excited to see what people do.

ATTQOTD: Great question! I don't have a great answer other than music sadly. I listen to podcasts on probably 98% of my runs, but when I *really* have a case of "Don't Wanna"s I put on music to pump me up. A mental trick I use on long runs when I'm struggling, is to imagine where I will be when I'm at that mile in the race. This usually only works for me when I'm training for the WDW Marathon where I know the course really well. Like for the old course, I could think, Mile 13: I'll be in Animal Kingdom. Halfway there. It doesn't help me feel like I'm flying but it helps me mentally cope with fatigue.

Very interested to hear what others do.

ATTQOTD

At slower speeds, I listen to audiobooks and podcasts at 2x speed. It gives my mind something to chew on, and the time just flies by.

For speedier workouts, I do have music that I play -- up-tempo, a mix of Disney and non-Disney music, usually on shuffle.

In fact, I have a particular playlist called "Mile 22" that I made specifically for the Blizzard Beach stretch of the marathon route. My goal was for that to be my fastest mile, so I spent as little time there as possible. It worked!

That playlist consists of:
  • He's A Pirate, Klaus Badelt (from Pirates of the Caribbean)
  • Animal Spirits, Vulfpeck
  • Chelsea Dagger, The Fratellis
  • Brianstorm, Arctic Monkeys
  • Dig a Little Deeper, Jennifer Lewis (from Princess and the Frog)
I don't know if it's the music itself, or the fact that I play this music when I need to go fast and have thus developed some association, but I find it impossible to put on that music and not pick up speed!

Can't say that anything makes running feel easy. My only "trick" to make it through a rough run/workout is to give myself (in advance) permission to bail at a certain point. That takes off the pressure, and I don't think I've ever actually bailed. It just makes starting--getting over that initial friction/inertia -- a touch easier.

This is a great question. My method is simply keeping my goal focused in mind when doing my workout. For the past few months, I have been training for a half marathon to attempt to get a Corral A POT for Dopey 2025. I can still vividly remember my first long run of this training block when it got really hard toward the end of an eight mile run. At that point, I kept repeating to myself in the form of a mantra, "Dopey A....Dopey A....Dopey A."

Whatever your goal might be, try to keep that goal in mind as the purpose of your workout whether that be improved health and fitness or a time based goal.

ATTQOTD

At slower speeds, I listen to audiobooks and podcasts at 2x speed. It gives my mind something to chew on, and the time just flies by.

For speedier workouts, I do have music that I play -- up-tempo, a mix of Disney and non-Disney music, usually on shuffle.

In fact, I have a particular playlist called "Mile 22" that I made specifically for the Blizzard Beach stretch of the marathon route. My goal was for that to be my fastest mile, so I spent as little time there as possible. It worked!

That playlist consists of:
  • He's A Pirate, Klaus Badelt (from Pirates of the Caribbean)
  • Animal Spirits, Vulfpeck
  • Chelsea Dagger, The Fratellis
  • Brianstorm, Arctic Monkeys
  • Dig a Little Deeper, Jennifer Lewis (from Princess and the Frog)
I don't know if it's the music itself, or the fact that I play this music when I need to go fast and have thus developed some association, but I find it impossible to put on that music and not pick up speed!
I love this playlist!

ATTQOTD:

The biggest thing I do to make a run feel easier is to do it outside. No matter the pace, my runs on treadmills feel 100% harder, I assume because of less to distract me (even if I have a movie or show on) and the constant glance at the clock. Otherwise I use podcasts and music like others have already said. For long runs, I will also try a trick I heard Brittany Charboneau mention on a podcast, which is to pick a color for a mile and count how many things I see that mile that are that color. That helps distract me and make the distance go by faster.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I listen to audiobooks during my training runs. I tend to stick to fairly light sci-fi, fantasy or thrillers so I don't have to focus too hard on keeping up with/processing a message. I can just set my brain to following along with the story as the miles tick by. I used to run to music, but found that I got tired of the same playlists over and over again and that the music could interfere with my pacing, especially on easy runs. Now I save the music for selected race days. I usually race with no accompaniment, but have found that late in a marathon or ultra, music can give me a lift and help carry me through the late miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter