• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Soarin question..

I'm terrified of falling. i literally can't move past the third step on a ladder. my legs lock up and i can't lift them.

that being said i ride Soarin every time. You are belted in tight and honestly you can't even really see how high up you are. Doesn't bother me at all.

I get woozy standing on a chair, and forget climbing a step ladder...but I do ride soarin. I waited until my older kids got the nerve to ride, but once they did, I go too (same with Splash, Everest and Space). I have to ride on the lowest row (tried top once and never again), put my lap belt through the yellow loop meant for shorter riders, push myself back into the seat using the vertical part of the side bars, and close my eyes on the way up and down...but I do ride :thumbsup2

I'm not thrilled with heights either, but Soarin' is definitely a must do for me. I recall also being nervous about it the first time, but I found that sitting back in the chair and looking straight or even slightly up took care of any issues. Of course, you have a seat belt that you have to use and there's hand holds on each side of you. Keep a loose grip on those (no need for a metal bending grip), sit back and relax and after its over you might be looping right back to the standby line for another ride. The more you ride it, the more relaxing you'll find it.

Ok..trying to decide if I should keep my Soarin fp. Has anyone rode it that was afraid of heights? I'm very scared of heights and afraid of falling but this ride looks so awesome! The part that scares me is that there's only a belt and nothing to hold onto? Is this correct?
I don't ride any roller coasters at all and this would be as major as I would get..lol!
Thanks for any input.
30 days!

OMG - do it! Jen - it was awesome! My son, who is always inclined to pick on me, pointed out to everyone in line that I was indeed the Red Flag! I have motion sickness, I have an extreme fear of heights and high blood pressure. But ya know what - Soarin' was on my bucket list and I DID IT! Despite him pointing out that I had no business what so ever being in the line, it was amazing! Yes, there were moments when I had to close my eyes, but I was perfectly fine and I will do it again.

DO NOT BE AFRAID - do it do it do it!!!

OMG - do it! Jen - it was awesome! My son, who is always inclined to pick on me, pointed out to everyone in line that I was indeed the Red Flag! I have motion sickness, I have an extreme fear of heights and high blood pressure. But ya know what - Soarin' was on my bucket list and I DID IT! Despite him pointing out that I had no business what so ever being in the line, it was amazing! Yes, there were moments when I had to close my eyes, but I was perfectly fine and I will do it again.

DO NOT BE AFRAID - do it do it do it!!!

This is really great to read. I've been wavering about Soarin' because I am not a fan of heights but more because of motion sickness. I'm nervous about trying it but it looks like such a beautiful ride.

Personally, I find it very gentle and there is little feeling that you could fall out. There are arm-rests that you can hold. BUT, I'm not afraid of heights! My father-in-law is terrified of heights, and he absolutely hated it and said never again. I would say it depends on the depth of your fear. You might consider watching a YouTube video to help you judge.

(Also, you won't be missing much if you don't go. The new version absolutely loses the magic of the original. Such a disappointment!)

Just want to add, if you want to feel more secure, there is an additional, optional strap restraint that comes up between your legs. The pre-ride film only says that kids under a certain age must use it, but there is nothing to stop an adult from using it. It might not work for very large folks, but I think most folks can use it.

Second, if you close your eyes, then there is very little actual movement to this ride.

Third, it is possible to look off to the sides to see that the ride is mostly just a big movie screen.

I liken it to I-Max movies I've seen.

All that said, if balconies scare you, it might not be for you. Try the China or Canada shows before you try Soarin'.

I REPEAT.... DO IT! My mom and son both said it wasn't as good as the former version, but it was my first time so I had nothing to compare it to, but I still loved it.

Soarin' is truly one of my favorites but over our last couple of trips, I have had a hard time with it because of the motion and lift. I have to look up and focus on the "hood" of my seat (I guess the bottom of the seat over me???) because closing my eyes doesn't help with the motion part of it. That being said, the seats are very deep and you don't feel like you will fall out at all. I am a bit on the "pooh size" end of the spectrum as well and there is plenty of room.

If it is truly heights that you have a problem with, this is probably not for you because of the scenes in the film do make it seem as if you are VERY high and you will swoop and sway through the various locations. Perhaps checking out a ride video on YouTube will let you experience the ride from the comfort of your favorite chair instead! :)

I also get scared just standing on a chair, LOL, and it took about 2 years of trips before my family and I would brave Soarin (none of us are a fan of heights). First time we requested the 3rd row, and I used the extra loop you can use for small children to fasten myself in (I have no shame in that either). I closed my eyes during "take off" and did not open them again until the film started. I had a death grip on the handrail things the whole time, however it was AMAZING and we all agreed that we missed out by not experiencing in our first few trips. It is now one of our must do's for every trip and the more I have been on it, the more brave I have become. I still close my eyes during take off and use the extra strap, but we all request the top row now, and that is huge. We let our fear of the unknown keep us from experiencing this awesome ride at first and we all regret that. I say go for it, no regrets!!

I am afraid of unsecured heights (balconies, being up on ladders) but I can do roller coasters and Soarin' because I feel secured in my seat.

Terrified of heights and roller coasters but loved the old Soarin. Went on the new one yesterday, baby steps once again...eyes closed when it started, slit eyes to open eyes to closed eyes to slit eyes, I'm sure you get the picture. The new Soarin IMHO not as good as the original. Maybe it will grow on me when I can go from more slit eyes to mostly open eyes.

Ok..trying to decide if I should keep my Soarin fp. Has anyone rode it that was afraid of heights? I'm very scared of heights and afraid of falling but this ride looks so awesome! The part that scares me is that there's only a belt and nothing to hold onto? Is this correct?
I don't ride any roller coasters at all and this would be as major as I would get..lol!
Thanks for any input.
30 days!

I'm not crazy about heights either. And since I don't know you personally, it's difficult to know what to say. Only you can decide if it is something you want to try. And you can try it once and if you can't stand it, never go again.
So, having said plenty of nothing, I think you should try it. As others have suggested, ask for an end seat, bottommost row. Make sure you are sitting back in the seat completely, not a little forward like I did my first ride (big mistake- terrifying). And lean back against the back of the seat. Most important: don't forget to breathe! My first ride I held my breath which made the anxiety worse. But- I did realize it wasn't a really scary ride (pre YouTube days at least for me) and I was able to talk my fraidycat sister into riding it with me. Now it's the only thing she wants to do at EPCOT other than eat.
Please come back to this thread and let us know how you did. And have a great vacation!

I'm not crazy about heights either. And since I don't know you personally, it's difficult to know what to say. Only you can decide if it is something you want to try. And you can try it once and if you can't stand it, never go again.
So, having said plenty of nothing, I think you should try it. As others have suggested, ask for an end seat, bottommost row. Make sure you are sitting back in the seat completely, not a little forward like I did my first ride (big mistake- terrifying). And lean back against the back of the seat. Most important: don't forget to breathe! My first ride I held my breath which made the anxiety worse. But- I did realize it wasn't a really scary ride (pre YouTube days at least for me) and I was able to talk my fraidycat sister into riding it with me. Now it's the only thing she wants to do at EPCOT other than eat.
Please come back to this thread and let us know how you did. And have a great vacation!
Thank you so much! I'm planning on riding it as of now. I plan on coming back on here and letting everyone know how I do! My DH thinks I can do it and he knows how bad my fear is. I trust him. Thanks everyone! Oh btw..I won't be there for a few more weeks. First week of March.

Soarin' used to be one of my favorite rides at WDW, but I hated the new version. I was terrified the whole time that I was falling out of my seat (irrational, I know). I am not sure that I will ride it again.

Soarin' used to be one of my favorite rides at WDW, but I hated the new version. I was terrified the whole time that I was falling out of my seat (irrational, I know). I am not sure that I will ride it again.

I don't think that is irrational at all. It is a real fear.

With the old Soarin' I always felt comfortable. With this new one, I had to close my eyes sometimes because I felt I was either going to tip out, or we were "soaring" too fast or sometimes way too high.

LOL! ok thank you..I think I'll pass because I can not even do most balconies!

I hate heights, I can't do balconies either! I took my class to a field trip to a museum where the 4th floor had huge glass windows (floor to ceiling) and I couldn't go near them. The entire time we were on that floor I stayed as far from them as possible! That being said I love soarin'! I ride it multiple times each trip. For me it's a different feeling. The same for our 8yr old and my DH who both hate heights as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter