The Summer Games of the XXXII Olympiad

I was even watching some water polo the other day. While it's not something I'd really get into, it takes incredible stamina to play that sport.
We've been watching that. Last night we watched US Mens against South Africa and found out that because they have to finance their own team and everything that goes with it they can't often make it all the way. Unfortunately they lost pretty darn bad to the U.S. but it was still neat that they could make it in there.

This one upsets me a lot. I don’t know how/why they let this happen.

Sounds like he went through a defined process and as such there wasn’t much that could be done other than the separation.

If he has not been charged with a actual crime then allegations are simply allegations and he presumed innocent until proven guilty.

HOLD THE FLAMES lol.... I am not defending potential sexual misconduct. People should be held accountable for their actions, but I also believe that there is a specific judicial process that should be followed . and not just make accusations and then expecting his life to be banned.

By all means, bring formal assault charges against him.

This one upsets me a lot. I don’t know how/why they let this happen.

If he has not been charged with a actual crime then allegations are simply allegations and he presumed innocent until proven guilty.

HOLD THE FLAMES lol.... I am not defending potential sexual misconduct. People should be held accountable for their actions, but I also believe that there is a specific judicial process that should be followed . and not just make accusations and then expecting his life to be banned.

By all means, bring formal assault charges against him.

It’s a little bit more complicated because this is a private and not a government issue. I’ve heard of accused college or pro athletes who were suspended while investigations were pending. In this case there seems to be a process that he’s taken advantage of to at least stay on the team, even though it’s obviously not ideal for anyone.

It’s a little bit more complicated because this is a private and not a government issue. I’ve heard of accused college or pro athletes who were suspended while investigations were pending. In this case there seems to be a process that he’s taken advantage of to at least stay on the team, even though it’s obviously not ideal for anyone.

yes I agree, I was reading the articles posted and was trying to figure out if he had been charged with a crime... and I could not understand why title IX was involved or SafeSport ...but I know things are sometimes 'odd" in regards to how allegations are handled at the collegiate level or within a professional entity.

yes I agree, I was reading the articles posted and was trying to figure out if he had been charged with a crime... and I could not understand why title IX was involved or SafeSport ...but I know things are sometimes 'odd" in regards to how allegations are handled at the collegiate level or within a professional entity.
Many of the governing organizations of various sports use SafeSport for independent investigations of allegations -- especially of sexual misconduct. Using an independent investigative process minimizes the possibility of favoritism and preferential treatment.

However, it is up to the governing organization how they respond to SafeSport's findings, and how quickly they respond.

We had a sad case in figure skating with John Coughlin, a prominent pairs skater. Even after his competitive career, John was very active with US Figure Skating programs. US Figure Skating is the governing body for both national and international competitive skating in the US, and John was one of the big "stars" in two national US Figure Skating camps that DD attended. Allegations were made against him, SafeSport investigated and substantiated the allegations, and US Figure Skating suspended John from any involvement in the sport. The next day, he committed suicide.

Many of the governing organizations of various sports use SafeSport for independent investigations of allegations -- especially of sexual misconduct. Using an independent investigative process minimizes the possibility of favoritism and preferential treatment.

However, it is up to the governing organization how they respond to SafeSport's findings, and how quickly they respond.

We had a sad case in figure skating with John Coughlin, a prominent pairs skater. Even after his competitive career, John was very active with US Figure Skating programs. US Figure Skating is the governing body for both national and international competitive skating in the US, and John was one of the big "stars" in two national US Figure Skating camps that DD attended. Allegations were made against him, SafeSport investigated and substantiated the allegations, and US Figure Skating suspended John from any involvement in the sport. The next day, he committed suicide.
I think a more prominent case would be Tonya Harding being suspended in 1994. She sued to get reinstated and came to a settlement that allowed her to compete even with allegations that she covered up a crime. That was weird too as CBS showed most of it live, but save several competitors for prime time. They just went to something else.

The final result that year was bizarre too. Going back to the judging issue discussed earlier, one automatically wins a program if five out of nine judges placed the competitor first. The other judges could even place that person last and it wouldn’t matter. It gets complicated whenone got way different rankings by different judges, and I believe software to figure that out was mentioned.

Look at the NFL. Deshaun Watson is at training camp and he's been under investigation and lawsuits for over a year with something like 50 accursers.

I think a more prominent case would be Tonya Harding being suspended in 1994. She sued to get reinstated and came to a settlement that allowed her to compete even with allegations that she covered up a crime. That was weird too as CBS showed most of it live, but save several competitors for prime time. They just went to something else.

The final result that year was bizarre too. Going back to the judging issue discussed earlier, one automatically wins a program if five out of nine judges placed the competitor first. The other judges could even place that person last and it wouldn’t matter. It gets complicated whenone got way different rankings by different judges, and I believe software to figure that out was mentioned.
I'm pretty sure SafeSport didn't exist 27 years ago, and that was a totally different type of case from both the John Coughlin/US Figure Skating case in 2019 and the current fencer's case in the 2021 Olympics.

With regard to the judging part (which has nothing to do with the allegations/investigation/outcome of the current cases), figure skating in 2021 bears no resemblance to figure skating 27 years ago.

In 1994, Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding were doing Double Salchow and Double Toe as single jumps.

In today's figure skating, 12 year-olds do both together as a double-double with no steps in between -- Salchow entry, two complete 360 degree rotations in the air; land; no steps; Toe entry, two more complete 360 degree rotations in the air and land. (And that is the easiest double/double.)

Top level women skaters today do quads. Totally different sport with a totally different scoring system from 27 years ago.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure SafeSport didn't exist 27 years ago, and that was a totally different type of case from both the John Coughlin/US Figure Skating case in 2019 and the current fencer's case in the 2021 Olympics.

With regard to the judging part (which has nothing to do with the allegations/investigation/outcome of the current cases), figure skating in 2021 bears no resemblance to figure skating 27 years ago.

In 1994, Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding were doing Double Salchow and Double Loop as single jumps.

In today's figure skating, 12 year-olds do both together as a double-double with no steps in between -- Salchow entry, two complete 360 degree rotations in the air; land; no steps; Loop entry, two more complete 360 degree rotations in the air and land. (And that is the easiest double/double.)

Woman Olympic skaters today do quads. Totally different sport with a totally different scoring system from 27 years ago.

I just remember talking about scoring earlier in this topic. Thought it would be a reasonable point to get back to it given the scoring in 1994.

Isn't the current system placing more of a premium on athleticism? I remember back then, there was so much talk about "artistry" like it was a dance competition rather than an athletic competition. Even making several errors, that was made up with "artistry".

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/27/...udges-judge-says-baiul-deserves-the-gold.html

Woman Olympic skaters today do quads. Totally different sport with a totally different scoring system from 27 years ago.

I do agree that it’s a much different scoring system than in years past, but I’m not sure that a woman has landed a quad in the Olympics. I know there are a handful that can do them, and we may see success next winter.

I do agree that it’s a much different scoring system than in years past, but I’m not sure that a woman has landed a quad in the Olympics. I know there are a handful that can do them, and we may see success next winter.
As far as I know they have not, but some have landed them clean in other events. I edited my remarks above.

Isn't the current system placing more of a premium on athleticism? I remember back then, there was so much talk about "artistry" like it was a dance competition rather than an athletic competition. Even making several errors, that was made up with "artistry".
Yes and I agree with you on the changes. And many years ago, you also had "school figures" added into the mix. If anything, judging was weighted too much the other way -- in favor of precision, rather than either artistry or athleticism.

I suspect it will evolve into a more even balance than we have right now, but right now it is definitely skewed in favor of athleticism.

But today's skaters are so much better in the artistry as well. There is just no comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter