The Tale of THREE Filets - DDP and Reviews 8/31 - 9/3 (PARTS 2-4 added 9/5)

Catrin

Taking my Kids - one kid at a time!
(THIS IS VERY LONG>> I apoligize in advance.. boy I can ramble! )

Three Filets you ask??

Well, what can I say - I LOVE Steak and Cheeseburgers!

We arrived very late on 8/31 for weekend stay at the Polynesian to celebrate my 40th Bday.
We had Three Dinners - The Kona Cafe, LeCellier and The Concourse Steakhouse. We had one Table Service Lunch at The Liberty Tree Tavern.

We had good intentions for counter service, but we really ended up using them at places that required little thought or little inspiration!

At Each of the Table Service Dinners, I orderd the Filet Mignon! I knew each of these restaurants offered a filet, but never really thought I would actually order it again and again!
To compare the three:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
#1 BY FAR - Best Service, Best Meal, Best Experience.... goes to....

(not what you are thinking!)
KONA CAFE!!

We had an early reservation - at 5:30 - we were seated immediately. Our waiter reviewed almost the entire menu, offering us Smoothies for drinks if we desired. We both had Diet Cokes, which were refilled throughout the meal.
For appetizers, I had the crab cakes. These were golf ball size, served on a bed of greens with ginger dressing. They were wonderful. DH had the Kona Chowder - all I can say is it was amazing!

For Dinner, my Filet was unbelievable. It was cooked a perfect medium, so juicy and tender. It was served with the best mashed potatoes and asparagus. DH had the Macadamian Mahi-Mahi, which he LOVED. It was served on Risoto and toped with fried onions.

I made a HUGE mistake on dessert - I was SO stuffed, that I decided to order the Children's Brownie Sundae - which was fine - that is until DH was served his White Chocolate Cheesecake. I am not a huge cheesecake lover, but this was delicious! Flaky and Creamy at the same time.

Service was quick - without being rushed. The restaurant was very busy towards the end of our meal, but the environment still remained quiet and relaxed. Can you tell we loved it here?
Our total bill was $95.52. (DDP 2 TS Credits)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
#2 Meal - Taste of Food
(#3 Service and Environement) - Le Cellier

We dined here on Saturday 9/2. Our ADR was at 7:10. We arrived at 7:05, and we were told that we would not be seated until 15 minutes after our reservations. We took our seats at 7:30.

I had dined here for lunch last year, and right away I could tell this experience would be quite different. We were seated almost on TOP of two other tables. Both who were almost finished with thier meal. One couple who were waiting for dessert, and one party of four who were waiting for thier check. The couple were very talkative, we had a nice conversation with them while we were waiting to be served. The party of four did not even look our way, and since I was about 12 inches from the woman next to me, it felt very strange and awkward.

Our server was Patrick - a very pleasant young man - although I found him very unsincere. He brought us our menus right away, and suggested that we get the most expensive appetizers, entrees and smoothies on the menu. After we ordered our drinks, we waited.............. and waited........... and waited.........Finally we recieved our drinks (Diet Coke for me, and Mango Smoothie for DH) and asked if we could place our order. This was almost 15 minutes after we had sat down!

For appetizer, I ordered the Cheese Soup and DH ordered the Tenderloin Kabob. It took us a while to get these - and we had to ask for Bread with the appetizers. Where was our Pretzel Bread? (Meanwhile, the ladies sitting next to us finally got thier bill, and the couple next to us finally got thier desserts and ask to pay right away). The soup was excellent as expected and DH loved his tenderloin. What was strange, when we received our bread, and our server told us the story behind the three breads, he was actually telling this to three different tables - not next to each other, but spread out from the 6 he was serving. Very strange.

Then came the mystery of the missing waiter. From the time we had our appetizers, to the time our entrees were served (by someone else) we never saw our waiter. Not waiting on other tables either - he was Missing. Also missing was my refill of Diet Coke and DH's water! Where was the service??

The tables next to us filled up with a new couple and a new family. Both were pleasant, but the woman and her son next to us were quite impatient with the service. (Although I was curious about the slow service, we were going with the flow, and realizing they were just too busy for thier own good). She was remarking on how she has heard wonderful stories about LeCellier and how this was not what she expected.

We did finally receive our meals. I had the 7oz. Maple BBQ Filet over Mashed Potatoes and DH had the 14oz Strip Steak. My filet was excellent - but the BBQ sauce was a strange choice for the meat. Although delicious, I enjoyed the Kona better. DH really liked his Strip Steak.

For dessert, I had my heart set on the Raspberry Sorbet that I had last year for lunch. BUT>> with the most recent change of menu, it has just been replaced with a Duo Sorbet of Orange and Cherry. Nope >> not for me! DH and I both ordered the Seasonal Triple Berry Buckle with Huckleberry Ice Cream. We bothed loved this dessert, but I missed my Raspberry Sorbet.

By the time we got dessert and paid the bill, it was 8:55 - just in time for Illuminations. Since we had a 7:10 ADR, I hope you can tell how SLOW service was. The couple next to us were furious at this time. They had 7:30 ADR, got seated at 7:45 - when we left, thier dessert was not even ready - and she had asked to speak with the manager. We were glad that we were not there to witness that!

Overall, LeCellier is still an excellent meal. BUT>> the cramming of people into the restaurant, the slow service and the change of menu really left me feeling like something was missing. The total bill came to $112.20 - our most expensive meal of the trip (2 TS Credits Used).

Coming Up Next
Liberty Tree Tavern Lunch
Concourse Steak House Dinner
and HOW NOT TO USE your Snacks and CS Meals!

Thanks for the review. I've started hearing not so go things about Le Cellier so I am getting a bit worried. Still will go, but worried none the less. And I can't wait to try Kona. Only a few weeks to go. Looking forward to part two.

We had lunch at Kona and Le Cellier this trip. It was the first time for us at both restaurants.

The Kona lunch was very good, and a great way to relax away from MK for a little while. I made a mistake with the noodle bowl...too much cilantro for my taste. It was a wonderful meal overall, though. We weren't on the DDP yet, so we didn't have appetizers or dessert. The desserts looked wonderful, though. You definitely make me want to try it for dinner next time!

I enjoyed Le Cellier as well. We waited a long time to be seated (about 35 minutes), but service was excellent. I didn't feel like we were sitting particularly close to anyone else either. Our waitress was friendly without being phony. Everything came out quickly and correctly. My filet was excellent. After reading your experience, I think we'll stick with lunch there.

I can't wait to read the rest. (I should work on my reports!)

Looking foward to the rest of the reviews, especially tips on the snack credits...........thanks!!

Great reviews! We are eating lunch at LeCellier and dinner at Kona as well as lunch on our first day in the world at LTT. I am looking forward to hearing your review. I just love all your details!! :butterfly :butterfly :butterfly

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the review, am looking forward to Kona Cafe!

I hope our trip to Le Cellier won't take as long, we are booked for 7.10pm and have a special Illuminations viewing and have to be at the Italy Dock for 8.50pm, I will NOT be impressed if we miss that!!! Here's hoping :rolleyes1

Thanks for your reviews. We ate at Le Cellier and I think it is perpetually overwhelmed and staffed pretty much by really nice kids who are ill prepared for that kind of volume. When we checked in for our 6:00 ressie I was told they were 15 to 20 minutes behind- no big deal- the kids were coloring over at the Kidcot fun stop. So at 6:20 we notice other people who came after us getting tables while we are still sitting. I go up and the girl and the podium says "oh, I'm sorry, I did something wrong- we didn't have you checked in." After that we still had another 10 minute wait- no one was leaving!!

Also, thanks for your Kona review- we'll definetly try that next time!

Hurray! I just booked Kona yesterday! After hearing such great things, I decided to bag WCC and booked DS6 for the Neverland Club so DH and I could have an "adult" dinner with our teenagers. Thank you for the great reviews! Can't wait to hear how not to spend our credits. :)

Thanks for the reviews. I am going for my 40th next month. My b'day dinner is at Kona. We went last year and loved it. We will be eating dinner at Le Cellier the next night - I am hoping for better service than you had. Our first day we are eating LTT for lunch. This will be our 1st time to eat there so I am looking forward to your review. (we are on ddp)

I just had lunch at Le Cellier and Paul was my server, everything was great so was service. I've had Patrick as a server my last trip and he was excellent very attentive, maybe you caught a bad day, sorry to hear. I've always had great experiences at Le Cellier.

Where did I leave off? Oh yes, STUFFED from 2 great meals so far......

# 3 (Taste and Preparation of Food)
#2 Service
Concourse Steakhouse

We had a 7:40 Reservation at Concourse Steakhouse and we arrived right on time. We were given a Beeper, but it went off after less than 5 minutes. We were seated in a small area, a corridor right near the kitchen. (After reading the ALL Ears article today, I would have known better NOT to sit here!).

Our server was Lori. She was excellent - pleasant and very professional. We asked her recommendations on several items and she was honest and enthusiastic.

Lori suggested a non alcholic Strawberry Daiquiri for a drink, which I decided to go for it! Steve had a very expensive Tanguray and Tonic (9.00!!) and a Sprite.

For appetizers, I had the Onion Soup. I am a HUGE Baked Onion Soup fan, and this one did not dissappoint. It was very flavorful with a mix of melted cheese. DH had the scallops. He received two large pan seared scallops and mixed greens. As a person who eats fresh scallops in New England, they did not compare - he said they were OK. We were not served bread but saw it on other tables, when I asked, we were given a basket immediately.

Both DH and I had the Filet. He ordered his Medium Well, and I ordered mine Medium. We received them in good time. They looked very good, and the Mashed Potatoes looked excellent. His was fine, but when I cut into mine.. it was RARE. NO, Not rare... it was RAW!! I cut the first piece, went Uh Oh, then cut it in the middle and went EWWWW! I called Lori over and showed her, and just by the look on her face she knew there was a BIG mistake!

Well, they cooked me another piece, but by cooking it fast, they "butterflyed" the filet, which should really not be done with Filet Mignon. It did come out fast, but in turn it tasted like a good piece of sirlion rather than a filet. The potatoes by the way were excellent. The meal did not come with a veggie. DH liked his steak, but he said it compared to a great steak at the Outback or Bugaboo Creek.

For dessert, I had the Key Lime Pie, which looked like a single serve pie with Merangue on top. It was very good! Lori had recommeded the Carrot cake, which DH LOVED. He said it was the best part of the meal.

Overall, the Concourse was a very good meal - other than my steak not being prepared correctly. It was quieter than I had expected - no crazy sounds from Chef Mickeys. We are not sure if we would choose here again - for there are better choices in WDW. The total bill came to $102.38 (2 TS Credits Used).

Coming Soon:
Liberty Tree Tavern Lunch, Counter service and Snacks!

Part Three - Liberty Tree Tavern

I thought it would be nice to have Lunch at the Liberty Tree Tavern - a place where we had lunch 12 years ago and enjoyed very much. We wanted a very early lunch so I was able to make a reservation for 11:30. We arrived at 11:25 and checked in. At exactly 11:30 they opened the restaurant with a family on the balcony ringing the bell and yelling "hear ye hear ye, the Liberty Tree Tavern is now open for Lunch!" It was very cute. We were then about the 10th party called right away.

Our server was Marcia - she was very quick and professional. We did not have much small talk - all business.
For starters, both DH and I ordered the Clam Chowder, which we both really liked. It was the thick and creamy kind, served in a large bowl. I can remember this from years ago coming in an individual crock with a lid, but this time it was in a plain white stonewear bowl.

For and entree, I really wanted the Cheeseburger - but since I had so much steak and burgers during my stay, I decided to go with the Turkey Dinner. This meal comes with Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans. I loved the potatoes and stuffing. The turkey was dry, but tasted good with the Gravy. All during the meal, I kept saying, "should have just gone for the burger!" - I saw one at the next table and it looked wonderful!

DH had the Pot Roast with cooked carrots - and said it was wonderful. It was a huge serving with Fried Onions on top and mashed potatoes.

For dessert, I had the Strawberry/Blueberry shortcake with Vanilla Ice Cream and Whipped Cream - Yummy! DH had the Apple torte with Caramel Sauce and Ice Cream. Both desserts were fantastic.... and to top it all off, all the ladies came around the table and sang happy Birthday to me!

One thing I want to mention.... a great souvenier I bought at the LTT was the Glass mug my soda came in. They were only $5.00 - compared to $9.00 plastic cups in the gift shop! It is very heavy too! (You get a brand new one.. not the one you drank from!).

Coming Up Next >> Wasted Counter Service and Snacks!

This has been mentioned again and again on these boards about the dining plan.... but I will repeat... "IT IS SO MUCH FOOD!!"

One thing we did not consider was the HOT weather. Our lack of desire to eat big meals, and the fact that we were STUFFED from our TS meals made Counter Service and Snacks difficult to use!

The First night, we arrived at the Poly after 10pm. I was starving from our flight and busride with no dinner.. but we didnt want to each too much that late. We were not happy with the menu at the Temporary Captain Cooks at the Poly, so we followed advice from the board, and took the Monorail over to the Grand Floridian.
We went to the Gasparilla Grill at the GF and split a Double Cheeseburger, Fries, Large Diet Coke and the BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE in the WORLD! Is it my imagination, but does food at the GF just taste better?? (COST 13.37 - 1 CS Used)

Our plans for the next day was to tour AK until lunch, have lunch at the Tusker House and then go to MGM. BUT>> with NO LINES for Everest, Kali Rapids, and Dinosaur, we actually left AK by 11am and got to MGM early. After Riding several rides at MGM with very little wait, we had 30 mins until a FP time for TOT, so we decided to have lunch. Really no thought involved - Rosies near the Beauty and the Beast show was right there. We both had cheeseburgers, fries, drinks and dessert - I had apple pie, DH had cake. Nothing fancy, nothing to rave about. Just basic WDW food. (Cost 26.99 - 2 CS Used).

Then came the hard part - once we started to eat our TS meals, the desire to eat came less and less. Our plans for Columbia Harbor House, Fish and Chips, went right out the window. We ended up splitting a meal at the Electric Umbrella (I have no idea what we ate - probably a cheeseburger!). (Cost 12.85 - 1 CS Used)

The next day, after our day at Epcot, we split a breakfast at the Main Street Bakery. They let us get a breakfast sandwhich - which was a Croissant, Egg, Ham and Cheese - a Cinnamon Bun AND a Drink. We split everything and it was delicious. The line for the bakery however, was one of the longest we waited in all weekend - about 20 minutes. (Cost 11.03 - 1 CS Used).

We were leaving at 7:30 our last morning and we found we still had THREE CS Credits to use!
We went to the Temporary Captain Cooks at 6:45 am and had 2 meals - Waffles for me, and the Breakfast Platter for DH. We both got drinks, but they did not offer deserts.
We used the third CS for 2 Cinnamon Buns to go - for the airport.

Snacks - Boy, all I wanted was a Dole Whip, a Strawberry Swirl from the Enchanted Grove, some Disney Popcorn, a Funnel Cake, or a Mickey Bar! BUT>> what we got was mostly Soda and Water. One thing we DID get however, was a BOX of Entemans Donut Holes for Breakfast the second morning, and a BIG BAG of Pretzels to munch on.

Total DDP experience >> By checking in VERY LATE, and Checking OUT Very Early, we actually only had THREE DAYS to use our FOUR DAY dining plan. We would have made out a lot better if we checked in early, and checked out late.. getting FIVE DAYS to use the same plan. By doing that, we would have been able to enjoy the counter service meals and snacks more. Since we paid rack rate for a room at the Poly, we don't really think the "FREE" meal plan paid off for us. If we did not have the plan, we would have had ONE OR TWO TS Meals - but split or skipped the appetizers and desserts. If we were staying at a Value or Moderate resort - there is no question that the Free Dining Package is a steal.

Hope you enjoyed! Let me know if you have any questions.
Catrin

Thank you once again for all the wonderful and helpful descriptions. About the Concourse, were you able to watch the monorail go by where you sat? We have ADRs there for just that reason and wondering if it'll be worth it. Thanks again!

dixiedizfan said:
Thank you once again for all the wonderful and helpful descriptions. About the Concourse, were you able to watch the monorail go by where you sat? We have ADRs there for just that reason and wondering if it'll be worth it. Thanks again!

Yes, we WERE able to watch it go by - or at least I was able.. my DH had his back to it. It was a LOT quieter than I imagined - many times the Gold Monorail went by, and I had forgotten there were two others in between! After a while, you forgot that it was even there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter