The UK Government is imploding

FlightlessDuck

Y kant Donald fly?
Anybody following along? I think there have been up to 35 resignations since yesterday, and I assume more are coming.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/06/1110...rime-minister-conservative-party-resignations

Can someone from the UK explain why everybody is writing the salutation by hand in their resignation letters? That's not something I see in the US. Formal letters usually only have a signature written by hand.

Last edited:
I figured Boris was a short timer after the confidence vote. Even though he won, history shows that confidence votes tend to get PM's gone sooner than later.

I don't follow politics in other countries. Every country operates differently and has various rules/procedures/practices that are different from here in USA. If you don't follow it closely, even the terminology is different and hard to follow what it all means.

The Cabinet is gathering now at #10, looks like a resignation demand is in the works. It's interesting that there is a not an obvious successor waiting in the wings; it's going to require much jostling in the proverbial smoke-filled room to determine who will replace him if he goes.

As to the rules/terminology being different than in the US, it's rather the other way 'round: the American system is the one that is unusual. The UK uses the standard Parliamentary system, wherein members of the public vote for their local member of Parliament, and the major government positions are then meted out by jockeying within the majority party, or with the formation of party coalitions.

For me, the question will be: will there be another General Election, or just another Conservative MP? I think that after a long string of short lived Conservatives, people will want a choice...

For me, the question will be: will there be another General Election, or just another Conservative MP? I think that after a long string of short lived Conservatives, people will want a choice...
... And can the Conservatives even find anyone willing to stick their head up and try for it? It's such a diseased atmosphere I'm not sure many/any would be willing to risk a promising political career in that environment. I suspect many would rather wait for a more promising time.

I think if Bojo is going to go, there will be an announcement at 11am - these things often seem to happen at 11am!

According to reports, Gove told Boris to go, so he sacked him. Patel has reportedly also told Boris to go, but he hasn't sacked her ( yet!)

I think if Bojo is going to go, there will be an announcement at 11am - these things often seem to happen at 11am!

According to reports, Gove told Boris to go, so he sacked him. Patel has reportedly also told Boris to go, but he hasn't sacked her ( yet!)

You might be right. BBC just announced that Johnston will announce, shortly, that he is resigning.

Yeah, that was pretty messy!
Well, the pound did drop for a bit after that will see what happens this time. I forgot I was also there three nights in 2019 before a cruise. We'll spend three nights again this time, hoping to visit some of the museums this go around.

I’m heading to London in three weeks. It should be interesting. The last time I was there was during the Brexit vote.
I’m going over in 3 weeks too. This is my first trip over. What am I in for?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter