The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

I've been thinking about it, but haven't planned as I didn't want to jinx my registration. Now that I'm in for Dopey, I'm thinking of doing costumes for my favorite park attractions at WDW. I've done enough races that I've already dressed as most of my favorite characters. I just can't decide if it should be one attraction at each park or just my overall top four. (There is a gorgeous HM tightrope walker costume I've eyed for years on Etsy, so that is happening for sure.) I figure can go pretty elaborate for 5K and 10K, but then I'll have to streamline things for the half and full.

p.s. I'll be part of Team Not-So-Fast and open to coordinating.

Last edited:

I have a basic, workable Merida running costume assembled, but I don’t think I could run a full in it with the forced arm-swing path because of the tutu skirt. So that’s likely for the half, and then I need to figure out something more user friendly for the full....

I’m certain I will qualify for team not so fast, but I don’t know if I’ll want to run with a group or just try to slog my way through on my own at this point.

I plan on running as Mr Incredible, as least for the 5k and 10K. Not so sure about the longer two races.
This will be my first time running in costume.
I've been looking into a suitable character other than Mr I. Tons of princess options for the women, not so much for the guys.

I plan on running as Mr Incredible, as least for the 5k and 10K. Not so sure about the longer two races.
I've been looking into a suitable character other than Mr I. Tons of princess options for the women, not so much for the guys.
Flynn Rider is one of the better Disney “Princes”—at least he actually got a personality, unlike some of the earlier princes who basically existed to save the day at the end of the movie. And his clothes are pretty basic, brown pants, white shirt, bluish-green vest.

If you include Marvel and Star Wars you get a ton of options!

Dottie for Running is doing a second pre-order on the anniversary skirt and I’m resisting buying one so hard because I just can’t justify the price. Someone else needs to buy one so I can be excited vicariously. 😂

I know how you feel. Depending on if there are any Disney Princes you like, I know that etsy has some running shirts available in Disney Prince designs. I ran the 2017 Star Wars Dark Side 10K as Jedi Prince Phillip. So I had a Prince Phillip tech shirt, a lightsaber, and a cape. The back of my cape read "Once Upon a Dream in a Galaxy Far, Far Away. . . .
If you include Marvel and Star Wars you get a ton of options!
Absolutely. I've seen some Marvel character tech shirts on Amazon and Etsy. In 2017, I bought an Under Armour Darth Vader tech shirt that I've used for a few half marathons. And because I was feeling like I wanted to get in the "spirit" of this years Princess Virtual Half Marathon weekend while also being myself, I picked up from etsy a couple of Mandalorian armor tech shirts inspired by Belle and Princess Aurora.

I've also seen people run Disney races in Star Trek uniforms, I myself ran Avengers 2017 as Batman being trained by Yoda, and I've seen runners dressed as theme park attraction characters. In 2020, somebody ran a race dressed as Uncle Orville from Carousel of Progress.

I am hoping to do a potentially epic costume for the 5K, but do not want to share it until I feel like it can be done. Because in order for it to work, I have to absolutely get one part of it nearly perfect. Otherwise, what I'm going for won't work.

I love mashups, and see some really good ones in the Dragoncon parade. I've been thinking something super realistic, something totally silly (like a princess or villainess) and now you have me thinking some sort of mashup.
And I've never thought of one of the ride characters before. I really like that idea. Hmmmm

I’m still completely drawing a blank on ideas for the full; I’m trying to avoid tutus in back to back days. Kind of wanting to avoid princesses too, but that takes a lot of easy things off the table...
Ditto, fir not wanting the same thing back to back. Maybe a villainess, or a gender bend of a male character.

I think I've figured out my four Dopey costumes! I decided to stick with the 50th anniversary vibe. All the costumes are all-time favorites of mine that were at WDW from the beginning (or close to it). I'll go from most elaborate to easiest to wear, based on my rD costume experience thus far.

I still need to do some experimenting with materials, and I'm actually a little afraid to tip my hand as there are two that I don't believe I've seen done before. I may document their creation offline and share once I'm ready to reveal.

5K: To be revealed. It involves some experimentation but will be SO cool if I can pull it off!
10K: Haunted Mansion tightrope walker. I've been eyeing an Etsy costume from TutuFactory for years and finally splurged.
Half: Orange Bird. I think there's a fun way to do this with some feathers, yet not too fussy for the distance.
Full: To be revealed.

I still need to do some experimenting with materials, and I'm actually a little afraid to tip my hand as there are two that I don't believe I've seen done before. I may document their creation offline and share once I'm ready to reveal.

5K: To be revealed. It involves some experimentation but will be SO cool if I can pull it off!
10K: Haunted Mansion tightrope walker. I've been eyeing an Etsy costume from TutuFactory for years and finally splurged.
Half: Orange Bird. I think there's a fun way to do this with some feathers, yet not too fussy for the distance.
Full: To be revealed.

These sound like so much fun! I can’t wait to see what you come up with. Those tutu factory costumes are impressive looking. And I agree with you about the orange bird being able to be pulled off but not too finicky.

I have never run in costume before because it is always warm, if not hot, when I run races.
But for this MW, I'd like to, and the first two races should be done before it really starts getting warm.
So my thoughts are a couple of costumes for humor, a couple that are more serious.
5k Anna or Elastigirl
10k Elsa
Half Capt America
Full Mr Incredible

That said, I'll also be bringing my regular running gear if it looks like temps will be ridiculously warm.

I have never run in costume before because it is always warm, if not hot, when I run races.
But for this MW, I'd like to, and the first two races should be done before it really starts getting warm.
So my thoughts are a couple of costumes for humor, a couple that are more serious.
5k Anna or Elastigirl
10k Elsa
Half Capt America
Full Mr Incredible

That said, I'll also be bringing my regular running gear if it looks like temps will be ridiculously warm.
Don’t forget that it can also be cold (30s-40s or even sub-freezing)! So bring all the options/layers! 😬

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter